UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
Castlevania: Whippin' Candles since 1986

Castlevania: Whippin' Candles Since 1986

Night has fallen. Looming before you stands the intimidating might of Dracula's castle, it's shape revealed only in the momentary flashes of lighting splitting the cold, inky blackness. You clutch the Vampire Killer tightly, and take a deep breath, steadying your nerves for the momentous task that lies ahead of you.

It has fallen to you, and you alone, to fight back the creatures of purest evil that inhabit this accursed fortress. To shine light into the very heart of darkness.

To seal away once more the fabled Vampire King...

And so here we have another of my boredom-inspired game threads, this time to celebrate another of my all time favorite series. I've always been of the opinion that there was at least one game in the franchise to fit every gamers taste- the fan of the fast paced RPG, classic side-scroller beat 'em ups, or straight up 3D brawlers all have something to find and love!

So, as with my Fire Emblem thread, this won't have a pointed or directed 'question' or specific topic to address, but serve as a general place for voicing opinions, thoughts, and fond memories on one of gaming's arguably most loved franchises.

So, with that overly long and borderline fan-pandering introduction out of the way, what're your opinions and thoughts on Castlevania? Drop in, share favorite memories or bitch about how Lords of Shadow shouldn't even be in the series and how 2D Castlevania is how it should stay or just say hi, whatever floats your boat!
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
WOWEE DOUBLE POST AGAIN?!

Yeah. Yeah, I... yeah.

Figure I'll get us started, since I'm a shameless thread self-promoter.

tau's Pointless Story Time

Way back when I was a kid, I possessed a Sega Genesis. I remember playing and loving a lot of games- your Sonic's, your Shining Force II's, your Vectorman's. One of these games was a little title known as 'Castlevania: Bloodlines'.

It. Blew. My. Mind.

It was my first Castlevania game (my NES library at the time had consisted of Duckhunt/SMB, TMNT (you know the one), SMB3, and Metroid) and I don't know what it was about it, but it hooked me instantly. As a kid, the castle was legitimately creepy, and the at times frustratingly difficult sections and challenging bosses made my victories that much more rewarding and memorable. I played the hell out of it, for as long as I owned it, and it was probably one of the most revisited games of my entire childhood. It was what introduced me to the Castlevania name, and eventually lead me to one of my all time favorite video games of all time. Ever. In the history of things that exist and are.

'Castlevania: Symphony of the Night'

My God do I love this game. It is a FUCKING MASTERPIECE. The flow, the feel, the layout and power-ups and music and visual style and legitimate sense of progression and and and

*explodes*

If Bloodlines hooked me, Symphony sold me. I've since gone back and played (almost) every major installment in the series. Don't get me wrong, I adore the 'classic' style games- Rondo of Blood is another near-favorite for me- but SotN was just amazing.

If any of you out there haven't played it, please, for the sake of all things good and right in this world, go out there and do so.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I got hooked on Dawn of Sorrow. Got it at a game shop for about 80% off.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games