UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction

Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Blastoise's "clearly did not miss my life's calling" miniatures painting thread

aka the art thread no one will give a shit about because they're not going to get an avatar/sig banner out of it.

As some of you may know one of my hobbies is wasting my hard-earned money on pewter dollies that I have to assemble and paint myself because it's a hobby even though the part of the hobby that interests me most is sending angry dragons to chew on enemy faces. So yeah. Of course, if I'm going to be spending hours painting pewter I'd like to be good at it, so I'm going to drag you all along on my adventures to come within 10-foot pole poking distance of a Golden Daemon winner while simultaneously spitting in the face of basic composition and color theory.

Enough bitching, now pretty (iPhone camera, I apparently don't care THAT much) pictures of what I've painted relatively recently that I'm not embarrassed to put online:

So yeah, no avatars or shit for you guys, although admittedly you aren't missing much. Will be updated as I manage to paint through my stuff at a relative speed of 1 model/Mayan apocalypse cycle.

Last edited by Blastoise; 06-13-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Like anyone even gets sig banners anymore since I put a price on them xd;

How long does it usually take to paint one of them? Painting stuff like armor and teeth and other details seems like it'd strain the heck out of your eyes.

I like the first two miniatures the most, but the Spawning Vessel makes me giggle because it reminds me of one of these~

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post
Like anyone even gets sig banners anymore since I put a price on them xd;
Didn't I try to commission you for a banner forever ago and you never responded?

Also, Reed, congratulations on once again making me want to play tabletop games. I literally just lost interest in Warhammer less than a month ago.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post
How long does it usually take to paint one of them? Painting stuff like armor and teeth and other details seems like it'd strain the heck out of your eyes.
Depends on the model, complexity and to a lesser extent size. As an example I can actually paint up Legion warbeasts pretty quick (a couple hours or so), since there are really only three main areas on most of them:

1. The skin
2. The armored plates/chitin and claws
3. The face area

I basically base coat the skin and plates purple and dark brown respectively, drybrush the plates with a lighter brown color, and then cleanup. The nice thing about painting minis is that you can let the texture of the model do a lot of the work for you, so teeth are actually pretty easy: I just run the flat of the brush perpendicular across a row of teeth, which usually allows you to get a good chunk of any one side in one or two passes without a lot of effort or mess. With the Raek I started to use black ink to define the muscles a little more (brush ink into recessions, cleanup/drybrush around the edges to produce shading), but it doesn't add a whole lot more time to the process.

Took a bit longer for Absylonia and Vayl, because even though they're smaller they have more shit going on (Absylonia's hodgepodge spikes and armor, Vayl's dress/cloak/armor/oraculii), and also because since they're the "leader" models it pays to put more effort into them as well. Probably 3-5 hours for each of them, IIRC, although I didn't do either in one sitting. That said I am a mediocre mini painter at best, and some people have cut their teeth on 40k Orks and are fucking painting machines compared to me, so there's always that to consider.

For me the issue is repetition: I only have one full unit of 8 infantry models painted up so far because painting the (nearly) same model over and over makes me crazy and your effort doesn't go nearly as far as what you spend on a "centerpiece model". So that usually means my army of painted warbeasts and warlock are trucking around with the pewter/black primer hordes. C'est la vie.

Quote:
I like the first two miniatures the most, but the Spawning Vessel makes me giggle because it reminds me of one of these~
Don't talk shit about the pot.

...wait a second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Also, Reed, congratulations on once again making me want to play tabletop games. I literally just lost interest in Warhammer less than a month ago.
Come join us in Warmahordes! When PP fucks you they at least give reacharounds!

/40gayvswarmawhores
Old 06-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Sneaze
Mrow?

I have looked heavily into Warmachine, actually, but 40k is the popular thing in the area in which I live (mostly due to one of my good friends being among the top national players).

Old 06-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
I have looked heavily into Warmachine, actually, but 40k is the popular thing in the area in which I live (mostly due to one of my good friends being among the top national players).
Judging by how people are responding to some of the 6th edition rumors (I've been following off and on due to a perverse interest in starting a 40k army to assauge my apparent need to piss away more money and closet space), that may soon change =D

I'm in a similar situation on one game, though: I'm looking to start an Outcasts Malifaux army (redneck gremlins, fuck yeah) but ATM it seems like the lion's share of the attention in my area is on Warmahordes, 40k, and Infinity to a much lesser extent.

Last edited by Blastoise; 06-14-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
phoopes
Double Dragon

I definitely admire your patience on painting these. No way I could sit and paint one little thing for a few hours. All of them look really good, but I especially like the job you did on the Spawning Vessel. For whatever reason, that just looks like the coolest thing to me. Also, what do the models look like when you buy/order them? Are they a flat grey or something?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Nice stuff here Reed: I haven't painted anything for years as I lost interest in the games they were for (Judge Dredd by Mongoose and all the GW stuff) but I've always been tempted.

If I may do a tiny bit of cc, the bases aren't really up to the standard of the paint job and a bit of work on them would probably really improve the overall look.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
The internet in general has got to stop tempting me to get into 40k. I actually fear for my life I do, and I've already got an old mate trying to persuade me.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Don't do it Dave. I've been down that rabbit hole, and it leads to only empty wallets and closets full of gameboards and rule books.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
I definitely admire your patience on painting these. No way I could sit and paint one little thing for a few hours. All of them look really good, but I especially like the job you did on the Spawning Vessel. For whatever reason, that just looks like the coolest thing to me. Also, what do the models look like when you buy/order them? Are they a flat grey or something?

Assembled but unpainted/primered warjacks I'm working on. Rocinante (left) is plastic with some metal "upgrade kit" grubbins (the fucking cannon arm weighs more than his torso does, who the fuck at PP thought that was a good idea), while the Mangler (right) is all pewter. Usual MO is to primer them black or white with automotive primer (since acrylic doesn't bond to pewter alone very well) and then go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
If I may do a tiny bit of cc, the bases aren't really up to the standard of the paint job and a bit of work on them would probably really improve the overall look.
In terms of bases, do you mean the (general lack of) flocking/basing, or the arc markers?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

You remember when I painted shit? Me neither.

But seriously, fuck trying to take the base Angelius anywhere with those fucking wings:

-50mm (~2 inch) base model that can only be transported in a 3-4 inch deep foam
-A body shape that fits awkwardly in most foam trays, making any sort of layout a fucking nightmare

A guy I once worked with said that he imagined that one of the punishments in Hell was hanging drywall for eternity. I hope the level of Hell awaiting some of PP's sculptors involves trying to fit more than two Legion heavies into one foam tray.

Last edited by Blastoise; 07-28-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
Dawww, it looks embarrassed enough to try and hide its face.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Naga Nightlurker (another angle)

Not bad for a little under two hours. Admittedly 75% of the surface area is chitin so drybrush to win the game, but eh.

EDIT: I hate not seeing the spots I miss until after I take the photos. Argh.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Blighted Legionnaires

I painted a couple models individually to get an idea how I wanted to go on the unit, then did the rest assembly-line style.

I was starting to go stir crazy after hour four on the assembly-line step. I will never be able to play Warhammer Fantasy =(

Oh yeah, I'm sure many of you are asking "doesn't a unit of red-armored infantry clash with a bunch of purple/brown warbeasts on the tabletop?" to which I reply "red is my favorite color, your basic color theory and good taste are invalid."
Old 08-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #16
Sneaze
Mrow?

I'd like to point out the greatest thing I ever saw in 40K was a gay man sporting rainbow Tyranids. Go with whatever goddamn colors you want.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
I'd like to point out the greatest thing I ever saw in 40K was a gay man sporting rainbow Tyranids. Go with whatever goddamn colors you want.
After some (okay, little) thought, I realized that my Legionnaires are basically cannon fodder (6 points for 10 bodies who basically exist to get in the enemy's way and die, before being thrown into the spawning vessel to produce new lesser warbeasts to continue the cycle of rage), and so are quite literally Legion "redshirts".

I'M SO META EVEN WHEN I'M NOT EVEN CONSCIOUSLY TRYING GET ON MY LEVEL
Old 09-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #18
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Captain Farilor and Standard

Poor handwriting + minimal knowledge of Japanese half-forgotten from high school = tragedy
Old 09-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Spawning Vessel Acolyths

...on the bright side, nobody will be looking very closely because they're three points.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

I've always loved the craftsmanship of those warhammer figures and the thought of painting them. I've always hated the thought of having to spend upwards of $500 just to start with and never play. Your figures look really awesome and give me those feelings again.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #21
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Ravagore

On a tear to get as much painted as possible before a con in a couple weeks. My pewter Ravagore is getting chipped like a motherfucker, so painted up the plastic one above in the hopes of having something that looks nice and that won't lose huge chunks of paint when I accidentally knock it over while measuring.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #22
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Harrier (angle 2) (angle 3)

PROTIP: drybrushing is a suitable substitute for actual painting skill

This one worked out better in my head, arguably. Probably the worst thing about it is how utterly top heavy it is: even with ballast I can see a bright future of gluing wings back on this thing repeatedly.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:36 AM   #23
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I've been painting man-dollies recently:
Old 01-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #24
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Did you get any social anxiety (cause I ain't saying the 'p-word') while painting the naughty bits of those large, muscular animals?

I'm pretty surprised Old Major has an avatar in 40K. He looks more like a literal Beast of England than an old fat hog who can barely walk.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #25
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Did you get any social anxiety (cause I ain't saying the 'p-word') while painting the naughty bits of those large, muscular animals?
Since none of them are "anatomically correct" (unlike certain other models)...no?

Quote:
I'm pretty surprised Old Major has an avatar in 40K. He looks more like a literal Beast of England than an old fat hog who can barely walk.
Malifaux actually. GW is currently too obsessed with giant models with random skull zits coming out of their flesh to do anything cool like that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction