UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 12-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #26
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Yeah people who pine for Misty are often the same people who bitch about there being more than 200 Pokémon and for exactly the same reasons.
Many of these people stopped following the franchise after Johto, they only really know the earliest pokemon. I'm strictly talking about the people who were kids who followed the franchise during the fad days, then largely dropped it somewhere around 2001-2002 and never came back. I obviously know this doesn't apply to everyone.
precita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #27
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

precita, may I ask what's with your problem with people wanting Misty back or Johto in general? I mean it's fine to dislike them, I for one don't like either of those things, but this whole thread exists solely to say "Hey Misty has been gone for a while let's make people feel old". Again nothing personal, but I just find this whole thing bizarre.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #28
precita
Boulder Badge

I initially made this thread out of curiosity. It obviously doesn't matter to me what characters people like in the pokemon fandom.

A lot of us began the pokemon franchise with Red/Blue and the Kanto saga of the anime more than 15 years ago, so of course people would have at least *some* type of opinion on this, even those who don't care for Misty at all.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #29
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

This just seems like a way for you to complain about Misty in front of people who, like you said started out with Gen I, anime or games to be perfectly honest. To entice a reaction out of the community for some reason or another.

But to answer the question itself whatever it may be, I personally don't feel anything to Misty not being part of the cast for a while. Not to say she won't be back since the writers did acknowledge her existence in the last episode of the BW anime series. So they may bring her back one day, but until then, I'm not too mad that she's been gone a while.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #30
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
This just seems like a way for you to complain about Misty in front of people who, like you said started out with Gen I, anime or games to be perfectly honest. To entice a reaction out of the community for some reason or another.
Its interesting to gauge the community as a whole on certain pokemon topics, which is why I posted this in the Pokemon forum as opposed to the anime section where the XY anime is being discussed.

UPNetwork consists of a lot of old fandom veterans who have been part of the online fandom since the early 2000's especially. There are many people here who are only familiar with Misty and/or the original trio, having not kept up with the anime since.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #31
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not watching the kids show doesn't make you someone who lives under a rock. I'm pretty sure there's not a single soul here whose knowledge of Ash's traveling companions cuts off sharply with the end of Johto.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #32
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

But there are better ways to go about this than making a thread dedicated to rubbing salt into Misty fans' wounds about her not being on the cast...

So basically you want to hear people say the old series are the best thing ever and all new things are bad, is that right?

EDIT: Damnit Talon you took the words right out of my mouth.

Last edited by Kuvario; 12-13-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #33
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
But there are better ways to go about this than making a thread dedicated to rubbing salt into Misty fans' wounds about her not being on the cast...
I doubt most people here keep up with the anime. Look at Talon's XY anime thread for example, there are like 3 other people who sometimes visit it at most. Looking through the archives of this forum back when DP was airing I hardly see any threads dedicated to it or its episodes.

Even Talon said he originally stopped watching the anime around the 200th episode of Johto, and then sparingly caught an episode since until XY. Its pretty obvious a lot of other people on this forum are the same, so they're not as familiar with the later anime characters as people on forums like Bulbagarden or Serebii are, for example.

Quote:
So basically you want to hear people say the old series are the best thing ever and all new things are bad, is that right?
Actually the opposite. We've long since moved passed the point where the Kanto/Johto era even represents the bulk of the anime, in fact its only 35% of it now. Misty has retroactively become a short-lived character in terms of the overall anime, and arguably her role was smaller than most of the females leads who came in after her.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #34
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I keep up with the show in as much as looking up the screencaps, reading synopses and checking how attacks look for ASB purposes. I've not watched it since early BW because a) I can't read subs while watching a show and b) the English VAs finally shredded my last nerve between Ash and Iris.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #35
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

I'll admit I haven't fully watched any episodes after DPP, and I only watched some of the early ones of those. I've never been able to watch any BW because ohmygodwhydoyouexistCilan, and I only watched the first 10 or so episodes of XY before losing interest.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #36
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by precita View Post
I doubt most people here keep up with the anime. Look at Talon's XY anime thread for example, there are like 3 other people who sometimes visit it at most.
That the XY anime thread doesn't see many posters doesn't mean that it doesn't see more lurkers. More importantly, it doesn't have any bearing on the forumgoers' awareness of Ash's entourage after Johto. Your claim was that most people who quit watching the anime before Hoenn are still living in a world where Ash's companions are Misty and Brock. And I'm saying that that's very unlikely to be the case, that 99.9% of the people here have to be aware of a Max, a Dawn, or a Bonnie.

Quote:
Looking through the archives of this forum back when DP was airing I hardly see any threads dedicated to it or its episodes.
Contrary to popular belief, I'm not interested in holding conversations with myself. The Anime forum, for whatever reasons, tends to be ignored by the people who only visit UPN for the forum games. That means that if the regular users of the Anime forum aren't interested in a particular show, and if I don't think that they would become interested in it were I to make a thread for it, then I won't make a thread for it. We don't like spam, in Anime or on UPN in general.

The history of the XY thread is based in this fact. I never would have made a thread for XY if we hadn't already had three of us (myself, bbb, and Doppel) discussing the series' earliest episodes in the Suggestion Box. And the two of them would have never have likely picked up XY had they not previously investigated Unova. And they would not have investigated Unova if it were not for -- wait for it -- my on-again off-again posts in the Suggestion Box about Unova.

Which brings us to ...

Quote:
Even Talon said he originally stopped watching the anime around the 200th episode of Johto
Yeeeeeeeeees ...

Quote:
and then sparingly caught an episode since until XY.
... Nooooooooooo. ^^; I've never said this and that's because it's just plain false. What I have said, many times, is that I resumed watching the anime five years ago (circa Fall 2009) with the final season of the Diamond and Pearl series. (First episode I started up with was this one, then just aired, though I circled back around and watched many of the season's immediately-preceding episodes as well.) I watched every single episode of Diamond and Pearl from then on, every single episode of Best Wishes, and (thus far) every single episode of XY save for Thursday's episode.

Quote:
Its pretty obvious a lot of other people on this forum are [...] not as familiar with the later anime characters as people on forums like Bulbagarden or Serebii are, for example.
Not being familiar with a Kenyan or Langley is hardly equivalent to thinking that Ash still travels with Misty and Brock. Goalposts, they're being moved.

Quote:
Actually the opposite. We've long since moved passed the point where the Kanto/Johto era even represents the bulk of the anime, in fact its only 35% of it now. Misty has retroactively become a short-lived character in terms of the overall anime, and arguably her role was smaller than most of the females leads who came in after her.
Not really sure how you can provide both arguments in the same breath with a straight face. You can't both claim that Misty has been with Ash for 35% of the series and then turn right around and claim that "her role was smaller than most of the female leads who came in after her" when their own screentime was far less than 35% of the television series' run.

861 episodes in total:
  • Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto = 274 episodes = 31.8%
  • Hoenn = 192 episodes = 22.3%
  • Sinnoh = 191 episodes = 22.2%
  • Unova, Decolora Islands = 142 episodes = 16.5%
  • Kalos = 52 (ongoing) = 6.0%
Obviously we add five to ten episodes for Dawn here, two to four episodes for May there, etc, to account for their cameo appearances in later seasons. But still. You're not going to get any of Ash's female traveling companions having traveled with him for more episodes than Misty has. The only conceivable ways for her record to be beaten will either be for a) a generation of video games to last extraordinarily long, e.g. 5 years, or else b) for one of Ash's traveling companions from an earlier region to accompany him to a new region. This latter method explains why Misty isn't the titleholder for Ash's longest-held traveling companion unless we restrict for gender: because Brock owns both the men's and global titles. So if you were to have (say) Dawn or May return, or if you were to (say) have Serena stay by Ash's side and accompany him to Gen 7's region, then sure, you could expect to see Misty dethroned. Until then, she's going to remain the girl who was with Ash the longest. Two official regions and one made-for-TV region will do that for a girl.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #37
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Your claim was that most people who quit watching the anime before Hoenn are still living in a world where Ash's companions are Misty and Brock. And I'm saying that that's very unlikely to be the case, that 99.9% of the people here have to be aware of a Max, a Dawn, or a Bonnie.
I'm sure they know of May and Max and maybe Dawn, but can you honestly say the same about the most recent BW and XY characters? I mean you have to realize how long this show was airing, by the time BW started we were in the year 2010 and that was 8 years after the end of Johto. Someone who stopped following the franchise a decade ago would only have a brief passing knowledge of these characters, they probably know them more from playing the games than the anime.

Quote:

The history of the XY thread is based in this fact. I never would have made a thread for XY if we hadn't already had three of us (myself, bbb, and Doppel) discussing the series' earliest episodes in the Suggestion Box.
I see. I also looked through the archives of this site back when AG and DP were airing and there was rarely any anime discussion, as you even said yourself you didn't get back into it until the very tail-end of DP. I had assumed even if some people on this forum watched the anime, they discussed it on other forums outside this one. Also thanks for clarifying when you started watching again, I guess I missed that.

Quote:
Not really sure how you can provide both arguments in the same breath with a straight face. You can't both claim that Misty has been with Ash for 35% of the series and then turn right around and claim that "her role was smaller than most of the female leads who came in after her" when their own screentime was far less than 35% of the television series' run.
I was comparing Misty's run to the show overall, not to the other characters. Not only because the other characters didn't exist yet in the early seasons, but also because the anime has now gone on so long after the end of the original trio ended she retroactively is in far less of the show than she used to be. Even when DP was airing you could still say Misty was in roughly half the episodes of the entire anime, nowadays you can't say that anymore.

Also, its not as if Misty or Brock's relatively long runs are much of an accomplishment since most of that time the writers treated them as background fodder (Misty in Johto, or Brock in every saga after he came back), while the others are generally better focused on in the timeframe they're around. There's a reason nobody considers Misty or Brock to be the best developed or utilized companions of the series, unless you refer to the pre-Johto days.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #38
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Dear god this thread exploded while I was out.

Quote:
I'm sure they know of May and Max and maybe Dawn, but can you honestly say the same about the most recent BW and XY characters? I mean you have to realize how long this show was airing, by the time BW started we were in the year 2010 and that was 8 years after the end of Johto. Someone who stopped following the franchise a decade ago would only have a brief passing knowledge of these characters, they probably know them more from playing the games than the anime.
Yes, I can say the same since there are a lot of people who loath Cilan and Iris around here, just anyone in the PASBL section. Some know of Clemont and Bonnie from XY as well. You're grasping for straws here if you think everyone here only watched from Kanto to Johto and worships Misty, or if you think that they live under a rock for not watching a kids anime.

Quote:
I was comparing Misty's run to the show overall, not to the other characters. Not only because the other characters didn't exist yet in the early seasons, but also because the anime has now gone on so long after the end of the original trio ended she retroactively is in far less of the show than she used to be. Even when DP was airing you could still say Misty was in roughly half the episodes of the entire anime, nowadays you can't say that anymore.
She was in those episodes, yes. But she hardly had any real focus, I think that's what Talon was trying to say.

Quote:
Also, its not as if Misty or Brock's relatively long runs are much of an accomplishment since most of that time the writers treated them as background fodder (Misty in Johto, or Brock in every saga after he came back), while the others are generally better focused on in the timeframe they're around. There's a reason nobody considers Misty or Brock to be the best developed or utilized companions of the series, unless you refer to the pre-Johto days.
So basically you admit to making this thread to laugh at Misty fans who felt her development was good enough?

Honestly, I don't really adore Misty as much as others, but I don't particularly mind her as the criticism she gets can get out of hand, of course its nothing compared to the hate Ash gets. But even she of all characters doesn't deserve to get hated on constantly just because of some writing problems then.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I'm sure they know of May and Max and maybe Dawn, but can you honestly say the same about the most recent BW and XY characters?
More moving of the goalposts.

Quote:
I was comparing Misty's run to the show overall, not to the other characters.
And more baldfaced lies.

We're done here. If you're not interested in having an honest discussion, then I'm not interested in having a discussion with you period. Troll or sincere, do it on someone else's time.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #40
precita
Boulder Badge

*shrug*

The only point I was trying to get across was that Misty hasn't been part of the anime in a very long time. I was also wondering if anyone here still followed the anime enough to discuss it. That's all I can say.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #41
^Misty^
Pokemon Trainer

I really don't see the problem of wanting Misty back, seeing her meet Serena could be nice imo. I would also like to see Dawn return as well, and Iris I'm guessing will most likely turn up anyways.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #42
Heather
Naga's Voice

Gen 6 has had so much gen 1 fan service in it (Kanto starters getting megas, Gen 1 sound bytes in certain moves-believe it or not, the VGC World Championship Battle was set to one of the most glorious remixes of the Gen 1 Champion battle theme I have ever heard) that I'm honestly surprised that Misty hasn't made a cameo yet to signify it for the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #43
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Seconded here Myles, but I'm guessing Misty will be back for the obligatory Kanto remake remakes, Fire Red X and Leaf Green/Water Blue Y, or something like that. And besides they do have ORAS promotions left, I mean the new Pokemon movie is just ORAS advertising.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:27 AM   #44
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post
Gen 6 has had so much gen 1 fan service in it (Kanto starters getting megas, Gen 1 sound bytes in certain moves-believe it or not, the VGC World Championship Battle was set to one of the most glorious remixes of the Gen 1 Champion battle theme I have ever heard) that I'm honestly surprised that Misty hasn't made a cameo yet to signify it for the anime.
Considering they're not even giving May another anime appearance for ORAS (in the regular anime, not the ORAS 1 minute special), I don't think Misty will ever be used again.

The truth is that Misty and Brock aren't really all that important to be advertised or showcased again. Its probably the same reason Brock didn't cameo in Best Wishes alongside Dawn. It was the same when HGSS came out back in the DP era, they had Lyra appear but didn't use Misty because well...Lyra better advertises the game then a token Gym leader.

Misty's last episode appearance was back in 2005 at the end of Hoenn, not counting stuff like flashbacks or in the Japanese openings/endings. By next year 2005 will have been an entire decade ago, so the writers appear to be done with her. I'm not expecting to see her ever again, even if somehow Kanto gets yet another remake in the games.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #45
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
Considering they're not even giving May another anime appearance for ORAS (in the regular anime, not the ORAS 1 minute special), I don't think Misty will ever be used again.
I'm sorry but how can you possibly know that they won't bring May back for ORAS in the main anime when they could bring her back anytime at all? Misty had two cameos in AG, one in Mirage Kingdom and the other in Kanto Battle Frontier. So it's very likely for the anime to bring Iris back first, and then May.

Quote:
The truth is that Misty and Brock aren't really all that important to be advertised or showcased again. Its probably the same reason Brock didn't cameo in Best Wishes alongside Dawn. It was the same when HGSS came out back in the DP era, they had Lyra appear but didn't use Misty because well...Lyra better advertises the game then a token Gym leader.
Or is it because they're waitinf for the right time? Misty's JPN VA has been giving hints that she wants to return to the show, Brock's BW special in Japan did very well as well. As for HGSS, Misty is a Kanto Gym Leader and the games take place in primarily Johto, it's because of Misty not being a main Gym Leader in Johto.

Quote:
Misty's last episode appearance was back in 2005 at the end of Hoenn, not counting stuff like flashbacks or in the Japanese openings/endings. By next year 2005 will have been an entire decade ago, so the writers appear to be done with her. I'm not expecting to see her ever again, even if somehow Kanto gets yet another remake in the games.
Well good for you then, so how about you stop preaching your anti-Misty views now as I'm just tired of this. I don't even like her as much as others do and in spite of that, this is really just circular.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #46
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
I'm sorry but how can you possibly know that they won't bring May back for ORAS in the main anime when they could bring her back anytime at all? Misty had two cameos in AG, one in Mirage Kingdom and the other in Kanto Battle Frontier. So it's very likely for the anime to bring Iris back first, and then May.
ORAS will only be advertised so long. It makes more sense to bring May back when the games are still new and fresh. If she doesn't appear by the first half of 2015, I don't think we're going to see her. I think after the movie which comes out in July that will be the last push for ORAS promotion in the anime. I would like to see May again for a short time, but as of now there's nothing pointing toward it.

Quote:
Or is it because they're waitinf for the right time? Misty's JPN VA has been giving hints that she wants to return to the show, Brock's BW special in Japan did very well as well.
Misty's VA says this every generation. Back when we were in the beginning of DP in 2007 she said she would like to appear in DP after hosting two trivia segments that aired in Japan, yet the writers didn't give her a single episode. In Best Wishes they could have also had her and Brock appear but chose not to. As for XY, Iris and May are the most likely old girls to return if any, so I don't see Misty appearing either.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #47
satosere
Cascade Badge

Well I think that... well Misty was just any other character. I'm not a huge fan of the first few seasons of pokemon, XY is my thing.
But they kept Misty in lots of seasons; 4 or 5? to be exact. More than any other female character in the anime, I'm pretty sure of. Maybe not? I dunno...
Well 2 things: first, Misty already returned in the Advanced season. And second, Iris returned already I'm pretty sure in XY. So Misty will definitely not be coming back.
Ok I'm sorry 'bout this but I'm completely fine with Misty not coming back....
Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #48
Mercutio
Banned

Misty is the greatest you're all just jealous of her.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #49
precita
Boulder Badge

I'm not sure why this thread was bumped, but its ironic it just happened since we're now in November. I made this thread last year in 2014 when it was 12 years since Misty left. Now that we're in November 2015...its officially been 13 years since Misty left. The Johto saga ended in November 2002, so it has been 13 years now.

Time really does fly.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #50
satosere
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Misty is the greatest you're all just jealous of her.
I am not, that is NOT, jealous of Misty. And for the record Misty isn't the greatest. I don't get why people like her so much. They would say that she's the first female character in Pokemon that Ash met but that's just so not true. Serena and Ash met way before that and why would the writers put that in? Because they wanted to have a female character that met Ash before Misty. I mean why else would that have happened. Just take a look at my autograph ;)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON