UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction

Old 10-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
National Novel Writing Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanowrimo website
What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time.

Who: You! We can't do this unless we have some other people trying it as well. Let's write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together.

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

When: You can sign up anytime to add your name to the roster and browse the forums. Writing begins November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at midnight. Once your novel has been verified by our web-based team of robotic word counters, the partying begins.
Link to the site.

Anyone doing NaNoWriMo this year? Starts in a few days and I'm super pumped for it, and am aiming for quality over quantity this year. Huzzah!
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Are you planning to participate publically or privately? That is to say, do you intend to share your works here with us on UPN? (Y/N) And if you do, do you intend to do so dynamically (i.e. as you go) or only after you've finished?

I'm planning to participate, but I'm not sure I'll be working on anything I can post on our family-friendly UPN. Even if I opt for an actual novel, the content will probably be dark. As in, the sort of stuff that might make suicidal people actually go through with their suicidal thoughts. Not because I want them to, but because those are the stories that keep coming to mind: stories of human struggle, failure, worthlessness, and despair. Stuff I wouldn't be able to share here given its at times adult nature.

But we'll see. Who knows. I may write a fanfic (against the rules, I know) and if I do and it's of something the community enjoys then I'd post it here.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
I tend not to post my works on public internet (at least, Original Works) because I am vaguley working towards publication and I'm not 100% sure on first publishing rights and what have you. I will, however, willingly PM my work as its being done to people should they want. But I'm really confident with this year and could see it working as a book, so I'm not totally sure on that.

I know that there's a good few people who write fanfics for Nano (including a good few SPPf writers), so it's not likes its unheard of or anything. I personally won't be writing fanfiction but I did consider doing one the first year, before turning against it for a poorly written avatar rip off. But I'd be really interested to read any fanfiction you do write (should you do so). This forum is sorely lacking in that department.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I am participating this year. And for the first time I have a completely empty November, schoolies and 18ths withstanding, so I hope that I can finish it this year. I am really pumped, and have fallen in love with my characters, so hopefully I can pull through
Old 10-29-2011, 05:07 AM   #5
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
Gonna have a go at this; it'd be good way to improve. It'd probably be some kind of Steampunk or Sci-Fi... Probably going to be brainstorming ideas for most of today.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Buddy system has just been added on the website, so if any of you are on there, my username is SprogTheMighty. Feel free to friend me.

Good luck to both Poke_Hunter and Pikagod.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
This sounds fun. Nut, I won't be able to do it. ;;

Unless, I get another flash drive....

brb goingtoWalmart
Old 10-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I've added you Handy. Feel free to add me too, peoples - Concept186

I'll be attempting to write a mystery novel without a proper plan. Eeps.

Last edited by Concept; 10-29-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

50,000 words in 28 days and with both a Math and an English GCSE thing.

I'm totally gonna do this. Going to sign up now; I go by JustAnotherUser outside of PASBL, but don't add me until I confirm I've signed up. Cause, y'know, someone else might have it already.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
Emi

Signed up, name is

blazetheawesome

yeah.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #11
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

You sure you spelled it right? C+p'd your name into the search and no-one came up.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
Emi

This is directly from the site:

blazetheawesome

I might have not activated yet or something.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Blaze's works fine for me.

So let's hear them, then. Plots agogo.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #14
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymankg2 View Post
Blaze's works fine for me.

So let's hear them, then. Plots agogo.
Wait what? Post plots here....

eh......
Old 10-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #15
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Account's sorted.

Plot?
Spoiler: show
Typical adventure, 5-Person Band of, blah blah blah, The "Chick" of the group is actually the Dragon to the Tyrant Emperors Big Bad, Kills off two of the other characters, turns on the emperor and takes over.

^Very Brief but Very Spoilerish.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #16
Emi

Hmm. Interesting. Make no sense too small and run-onish.

Here is mine:

This story is about a group of people who rebel against the tyrannic government of Electro, the dictator. However, all is not what it seems. It seems that Electro is more powerful than hep puts, and the group of people are all bound by a secret from the past, a secret of a secret organization of peacekeepers.

The main character, Steven, starts off being in total grief over an attempted rebellion in which he led. While he did not die, he saw the deaths of nearly every single on of his friends at the hand of the Rebellion Police. This leads him to flee the country. However, he keeps having nightmares at night, and can not get a good days sleep. One day, during one of those nightmares, something awakes in him, and his apartment burns to the ground. What awakens in him gives him hope to fight again, and is determined to find other like him.

Mainly what happens in chapter 1.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #17
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

My summary was packed with quite a few TV Tropes references, so I can understand why it wouldn't make sense.

Also, I am surprised that Handy is 15.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #18
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I'd do this but exams. So.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #19
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke_Hunter View Post
Why? Out of interest.

-

Also, my summary introduces the world more than it introduces the plot. It's on my Nano profile, but if you're too lazy to look for it, check here.

Waiting for the Sun

The last sunlight leaves the Earth.

After a post-apocalyptic event of an unknown nature, a thick layer of cloud covers their world. Due to technological advances, the people of the world are capable of producing food, air and water from which they can survive, but in the darkness, demons dwell. These demons slowly picked away at the last of humanity, tearing them limb from limb to quench their never-ending hunger. Determined to stop these demons, a group of humans headed to the tallest structure they could find, a large pile of rubbish, and created the ultimate weapon to fight these demons. This object, the Beacon, created a light bright enough to cover the land, forcing the demons back from whence they came. On that day, the Order of the Beacon was founded, a group of wizards dedicated to defending the light source.

Hundreds of years later, the Heap is flourishing with life. As more and more people flocked to the light, the tower of rubbish grew taller and taller, sustained by all manners of contraptions. William Tolton lives on the Heap with his parents, and has always had a fondness for exploring. One day, whilst he snoops around the top of the ever growing Heap, he witnesses the event that all humanity had been dreading; the turning off of the Beacon. The Heap panics. Without its light, the people below live in constant fear of the demons. Along with a Beaconist he rescues from falling in the darkness, William heads out on a journey to bring the estranged Arch Beaconist back to the Heap and save the home he loves. But in the dark, demons are stirring once more.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #20
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke_Hunter View Post
This is because he seems too awesome to be just 15. Ugh you're all so young.

Anyways, a rough outline of my plot;

Crow revolves around a single figure - John Terrance Crow - a highly intelligent, highly paranoid conspiracy nut who sees himself as a revolutionary in the sort of V for Vendetta style, fighting against what he believes is a vast government conspiracy. It opens with his successful assassination of the Secratary of State for Defence, whom he believes was tied up with the conspiracy. The book will follow both his efforts to expose the conspiracy - primarily through a series of attacks on London and other major cities - and the efforts of Inspector Richard Marshall trying to catch him, set against the backdrop of an increasingly fearful and violent Britain as his attacks escalate in scale and death toll. Various factions - from government officials, opposition ministers, criminal groups and revolutionaries - attempt to either control or take advantage of the situation for their own ends, in big or small ways. Meanwhile, Marshall's views on humanity are tested by how far people are being driven in an increasingly paranoid society, and his outlook on the world becomes increasingly bleak.

I don't intend to make it clear one way or another whether Crow's right or wrong about his theories. I'll drop hints here and there that suggest one way or the other - and there will be suggestions that he's not entirely crazy - but that's not the important thing here. It's not what I'm trying to write about. It's about people - how they deal with fear, depression, etc - kind of a study of what you are in the dark. And to be honest, I'm not sure how well Marshall and Crow are going to come out the other end of it.

It's a far cry from my original idea. In the original, Crow didn't even exist - he was essentially made up by one crook to cover his ass and the lead character (still Richard Marshall) became convinced that he was the man behind the man for a vast conspiracy behind all the crime in the city, basically as part of a desperate attempt to find meaning amidst a large amount of random and violent chaos. It was fucking bleak. As in, I spent a few days at the beginning of the month trying to plot it out and then spent a few days hiding away apathetically in my room doing literally nothing because I was feeling crap.

Last edited by Concept; 10-29-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #21
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

›Handy
Why?
Concept pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:15 AM   #22
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Good luck, everyone.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #23
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Woooooo, November. Started writing about forty minutes ago, got to a thousand and am now taking a break. It's going well.

Good luck to all!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #24
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm probably not going to do it, but I was thinking that, if I did, I would base the story loosely off of one I wrote years ago and recently found again and read through. It was full of inaccuracies, logical fallacies, plot holes, and all of the worst things ever, so it was hard to read. I can't believe I wrote such a horrible short story.

The basic concept had to do with your average joe schmo 'chosen one' bullshit who has to do battle with what is essentially a time traveling wizard who has seen his own time line as well as the timeline of all of time, and has witnessed every decision and consequence ever made that branches off and creates 'consequence trees'. Well, long story short, or something like that, the guy travels back in time to kill the 'chosen one', but the chosen one kills him instead.

This doesn't work for one big, main reason - being virtually an omnipotent time god, there is no way he couldn't have seen his own death. /facepalm

Anyway I was thinking on the "what if"s of rewriting the plot and turning it into a full fledged novel, and it becomes something like this, which I can honestly say, the very idea of such a plot excites the fuck out of me (tell me what you guys think! Spoilers, obviously, if I ever actually decide to write this):

The wizard, whom is essentially a time god, has seen his timeline and all of the consequences it forms. Because of this, there is no way he can be killed. Ever. He is quite literally invincible. However, the protagonist becomes intent on finding him, doing battle with him, and killing him, no matter what the cost. Through the progression of the story, the protagonist loses people who are close to him as a direct consequence of pursuing the death of the time god.

The twist occurs when the book comes to it's conclusion - our hero, who will now stop at nothing to kill the time lord, discovers he can only do so by undoing space and time itself, obliterating the universe and everything and everyone with it. In order to protect everyone, he has to bring about the end himself, but does so after having gone off the deep end, bent on killing the antagonist. In short, the protagonist becomes the antagonist at the end and activates a failsafe and kills everything.

The second twist comes in a final chapter from the antagonist's point of view; We learn that this was his goal all along. He was going to indirectly bring about the end of the universe by turning the good guy into the bad guy himself. He reflects on the events of the novel, and recalls times when he himself directly interfered, whether it was known by the protagonist or not, to slowly push him down the path of destruction in order to corrupt him. In fact, the wizard's own death along with everyone else's was directly the fault of him, having supplied the means to do so to the protagonist himself, without knowledge that the enemy was the one who gave them to him.

I know, this is potentially incredibly confusing, but the short of it is that the protagonist becomes the antagonist at the end and ends the universe to save everyone from the enemy, whilst actually becoming the enemy himself (not the same guy, although that could be really cool to pull off, now that I think about it!) (edit: thinking about this again, that would be impossible, as the protagonist would had to have grown to become the enemy, which is impossible since he dies at the destruction of the universe... unless the novel has him going back in time to do these things to his past self to lead him down this path before bringing about the end and then wow that's the biggest plot twist ever because a chapter would just begin out of nowhere with him traveling back to meet his past self and the reader would slowly figure out they were just mindfucked with a subtle plot twist and it turns out he was the antagonist all along but from the future and FUCK NOW I'M GOING TO STOP TYPING BECAUSE I'M SURE I'M HURTING YOUR HEAD, CONSIDERING I'M THE MASTEMIND BEHIND THIS HERE AND IT'S HURTING MINE).

Not a happy ending at all, in fact, I would also toy with the idea that, in the midst of destroying the universe, the antagonist literally becomes god by time traveling at the precise moment the time line is being destroyed, causing him to glitch himself into a new universe, and ultimately himself being the big bang by manifesting himself into nothing, making him God.

I love writing, but I'm not sure I have the time (hehe) for something like this =/

After re-reading through that, I realized I need to tone it down dramatically on homestuck and doctor who... sure, my novel idea was written years ago and was all about time travelling, but there's no doubt in my mind that fresh out of homestuck and watching Who, I'm essentially turning this story into a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 11-01-2011 at 04:43 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #25
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

I'm about 600 words in. Really need to pick up the pace.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction