UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development

Old 07-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #26
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
In the interim, perhaps allowing for one additional level to be purchased per week at the Daycare might be a possible, provisional, short-term solution. My thought is $300 for this additional charge while proposals are being worked on.
If it's something to be retracted later when another system is in place, maybe I'd prefer it isn't implemented to begin with. Not sure how paying more money to Daycare Couple helps my Pokemon grow stronger from an RP perspective (the stingy elders work harder if they're bribed? :P) As long as levels are awarded more generously where they should be, perhaps we don't need to tamper with the DC mechanics, especially not in a temporary fashion.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 PM   #27
deoxys
Fog Badge

The thing is is that your proposal more or less is a Battle Frontier-lite. It does a few things slightly differently, but for the most part its focus and purpose were things the Battle Frontier was designed to cover, while also trying to keep people involved by actually RPing for their levels/rewards.

There is still a lot to be discussed in that area as it is still a WIP, but the goal of BF at its core was to give people interesting things to RP for levels without the storytelling that comes with a standard adventure.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:11 AM   #28
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

Sure, like I said it's a 3-year-old idea, it's not meant to replace any of the ongoing discussion. As long as something functional is implemented, I'm on board
Old 07-20-2017, 06:36 AM   #29
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskerade View Post
Not sure how paying more money to Daycare Couple helps my Pokemon grow stronger from an RP perspective (the stingy elders work harder if they're bribed? :P)
My thought was that the Daycare would be hosting experts from the Battle Frontier who would be lending their coaching services to Pokémon in the couple's care whIle the BF is being built for an additional fee, or something to that effect.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #30
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
So one other problem a majority of you want to see fixed is the levelling system we have in FB. As of now it is considered to be too slow with most of the levels come from shops and candies rather than actual roleplaying. There’s no set idea put into place yet to fix this issue however. Below is a list of presented options I’ve come across, some of which are grouped together into one option. What I want to ask of you is to go over the list and pick out the options you think are worth trying, either singularly or in tandem with another option. Please provide more than one choice as we need to come with a solution that most people are comfortable with.
As always, if you have another solution that is not in this list then you’re free to mention it as an additional option. Please also respond to the list and choices provided by others in a respectable manner.

1) Increase levels given out in zones. For this one we need to communicate with the ZAs and ZUs and find a way to make this feasible. The other part of this option is that that we the mods set up a guideline for the updaters on the reward system and how much can be given out in a certain frequency.
2) Rare Candies become Zone-reply rewards. Perhaps that players can choose whether they want to get $250 or 1-2 Rare Candies for a Zone reply when claiming their rewards. Will be tricky though since we have two separate bank accounts that need to check with one another to ensure people aren’t claiming both rewards. Or, lower the $250 reward and give out a Rare Candy in addition to Pokédollars. This would also create the problem of making Rare Candies a currency once again.
3) Rare Candies can be purchased in the Department Store. Basically, this creates a method for Zone-reply Pokédollar rewards to be traded in for Rare Candies.
4) Make levels in Daycare purchasable. Same as above. Basically, this creates a method for Zone-reply Pokédollar rewards to be traded in for levels.
5) Trainer Battles are introduced. I definitely think trainer battles should be incorporated in FB in some manner as I do consider it to be a core mechanic of Pokémon. However, I want it to be an extra option we have available that’s simple – not an over-indulgent mechanic that dominates FB and turns it into a new ASB. Having this become a reliable way to earn levels might do exactly that.
6) Contests. Same as Trainer Battles almost.
7) Battle Frontier/Level-up Zone. Similar to battling but different that allows for more RPing. One problem mentioned is that updater resources (quite substantially) are diverted to this.
8) Create a new reward ladder of some sort that rewards players for reaching milestones. This vague idea came into mind after seeing Toyo’s “The Hub”. http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=4630 Basically, players keep track of certain statistics such as registered Pokémon or levels and get levels as reward for obtaining milestones. A bit of a meh idea honestly, but it’s an option nonetheless.
9) Increase levels in events. We have Halloween, Thanksgiving, FB Birthday, Christmas and New Year’s Day coming up in the next 4 months. We could increase the level-up rewards given out there. In addition, we could organize weekly/monthly events and competitions where players can obtain rewards such as levels. Examples are knock-out battle competitions, the UPC, updater-of-the-month, etc. – whatever you can think of.
10) Increase the updater reward ladder to give out extra levels (not Rare Candies) to incentivize more players to update, and create new zones to accommodate them if needed. Essentially, this is a “If you want more levels, you have to give something to FB first” option.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #31
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

So I have seen people giving out more levels in zones and have been doing so myself, I think it is slowly becoming more common but things are also slowing down a little.

I would prefer option 3 or 4 over option 2, simply because option 2 creates more work than what is necessary.

I think we do need a little more incentive for people to update, the ladder is nice but some people obviously need a bit more of a push. There are plenty of people with good writing skills that would make great updators but aren't updating currently. We need updators to keep things working and moving at an enjoyable pace, no one enjoys having to waiting 2-3 weeks for an update because their updator is overloaded. Like even if we could encourage people to take on 2 or 3 people to update it would take a lot of stress of the backs of others and help stop burn out, which can be a big issue. As for how you can give more incentive, I think the reward ladder is fairly good at the moment. Maybe if we introduced something like, an updator who updates X amount of times in a week is able to claim double daycare levels the following week? Could get a little messy but it's a way to increase level up and get more people updating in the process.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #32
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

-In-Zone Level Increases: As TKF's already stated, this has become pretty much mandatory because it's been brought up so many times before. A bit late on the uptake here.

-Rare Candies as Zone Rewards/ Purchasable in the Mart: Simply put, one or the other, please. I'd personally prefer that we use the latter option since A) it's less messy and B) it doesn't turn every reply into a moment of indecisive nothingness when the time being wasted could've gone elsewhere. It also prevents people from being a little overzealous with their Candy collecting and draining themselves dry when they could've used some of that money on the Move Tutor- most pokemon stop learning moves by level up waaaaay before Lv. 100, after all!

-Purchasable Levels in the Daycare Centre: This, I feel, is very easily broken. The Daycare already has a default of to levels per week, both of which could got to the same pokemon. If that pokemon has max Bond, that gets doubled into four levels- a pretty hefty number, for sure, but still within the typical range for what's given out in Zones. But then the player adds a Super Pass, probably from a holiday event or something, to the list- already, you're looking at a *eight level increase*! And that's simply using mechanics that are already in place. If the player were to then turn around and purchase more levels while they're at it, they're adding four levels to the astronomical mix per purchase, reaching numbers previously only achieved by stuffing entire Candy hoards down a pokemon's throat! Sure, you could say that the purchased levels can't be altered in any way, but then you're going to be seen as cheapening the value of both the Bond bonus and the Super Pass, and that's just going to cause problems later on down the road. Not quite worth the hassle, I feel.

-Trainer Battles/ Contests/ Battle Frontier: I've got nothing to say with these that hasn't been said already. Next!

-Reward Tier: While this isn't exactly a bad idea, there is something we need to keep an eye out for: Toyo's Hub gets brought up a lot in discussion regarding Auras, since there's a significant push towards having those be rewards for significant achievements as things are. We should probably hold off on that.

-Holiday Levels: First things first, I'd say no to Thanksgiving. Unlike the other holidays we celebrate, that one isn't universal across most of the globe, and many of the countries that do have a Thanksgiving have it drastically different dates- there's going to be problems if we try that one. Second, the events we have are probably already fine in terms of leveling. Between the special Candy varieties, the use in-thread level items, and the Super Passes, we've often seen an explosion in level gains between the months of October and April- and recent developments elsewhere are bound to make those level gains even larger. We really don't need to change these in that regard.

Before I move onto Point 10 (which is a whole 'nother can of worms), I'm going to make a possibly controversial statement. While it's certainly true that we needed to make gaining levels easier compared to TessB, I feel like we're quickly heading down the slippery slope of making them too easy. If we keep pushing like this, eventually something's going to give- and gaining levels is going to mean a lot less. Just something to keep in mind.

Levels as Motivation to Update: Hoo, boy, are you guys looking at this the wrong way! The Staff Rewards program already contains some of, if not the, best rewards in the game right now. It is the only way to get Enigma Eggs (for now) and the Sprays (outside of trading), for a start- those two things alone are pretty big deals! How about the packs of Mysterious Gummis? Those tiers alone are worth a whopping 9 or 15 Bond! Add in the sheer number of Rare Candies and the significant amount of cash gains, and you've got yourself a very nice deal. Heck, this is currently one of the only two ways to get a TM of one's own choosing and one of the tier rewards is a blatantly better version of the ultimate prize in the gacha shop, which doesn't even have a full percent chance of occurring in the most expensive capsule! Many of these things are drastically more valuable than a few measly levels- if they aren't motivating people already, adding the mediocre extra to the system most certainly won't.

Those of us who aren't updating all have our reasons. I, for one, refuse to do anything that makes it so that someone else is relying on me to progress there own story until I'm free from my father's tyrannical hold after being gracelessly yanked away from the internet without enough advanced warning to post in the TA while I was doing PASBL so many goddang times. A good few of the others lack the self-confidence to even try, and we all know MM isn't likely to start up any time soon. So, if you want to add more levels to the Staff Rewards system, go ahead- I'm sure the folks who are already using it would be quite happy about it. Just don't expect to get very many new recruits as a consequence of doing so.

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #33
deoxys
Fog Badge

Would really like to start talking about opening up the Battle Frontier at some point soon - I think the proposal was to do 2-3 zones at the beginning, letting players only pick one for the time being as a "test" run and introduce the rest later assuming all goes well. And of course, they'd all be FFA and heavy RPing would not be encouraged, so it shouldn't bea super heavy load on people to handle.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:57 AM   #34
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Admiral Insane View Post
5) Trainer Battles are introduced. I definitely think trainer battles should be incorporated in FB in some manner as I do consider it to be a core mechanic of Pokémon. However, I want it to be an extra option we have available that’s simple – not an over-indulgent mechanic that dominates FB and turns it into a new ASB. Having this become a reliable way to earn levels might do exactly that.
6) Contests. Same as Trainer Battles almost.
7) Battle Frontier/Level-up Zone. Similar to battling but different that allows for more RPing. One problem mentioned is that updater resources (quite substantially) are diverted to this.
Alright so I have pulled these three points from what Ex brought up because I believe these three are kind of met by what I am proposing.

First of all, I would ask you to forget what Trainer battles used to be. I have looked through them, they were terrible, competitive and led to arguments. They also required a referee which took updater focus away from the more important side of FB which is Zone Updates. I think we can all agree that we don't want to create a mini ASB which is what happened in the past, instead we want a way to RP with a bit of freedom and gain some levels at the same time, correct?

What I am proposing is simply that two people get together, RP a battle using their Pokemon and controlling the outcome of the match. Essentially the pair will write a short battle story. Then once a week (like a shop) all completed battles will be finalised and a set amount of levels will be awarded, based on things like creativity, RP quality and overall appeal. Both trainers would receive the same amount of levels, making it non competitive, instead it would encourage people to work and plan together in order to develop a great battle.

Positive points

-Levels: A way to level outside of zones over than candies and daycare but ones that must be earned

-Evolution: It would provide a nice opportunity to evolve Pokemon you don't plan on evolving in zones, providing them with a more memorable evolution than just evolving them in the TO or something.

-Creativity: You could go about the battles however you want, the setting would be yours to choose, the style (double battle, contest battle, hell even a PokeRinger contest, whatever) would be yours to choose.

-Workload: It would only require one person to go through and judge completed battles. People aren't forced to participate in it.

Layout

To start with I would suggest we allow trainers to only participate in one battle at a time. This stops people exploiting the system and farming levels but if in the future we decided we wanted to allow for more than that would be fine.

1. One of the trainers would create a thread in the trainer battles thread, clearly identifying the participants and the Pokemon being used.(for tracking purposes). In the first post they will describe the setting for the battle, send out their Pokemon and order (they should already know the opponent's Pokemon). They would then post in a shop thread (so all battles can be kept track of and updated), identifying the trainers involved, the Pokemon being used and a link to the thread.

2. The other trainer would then reply, sending out their Pokemon and ordering.

3. The first trainer would then reply, giving their orders and RPing the battle. At the end of the reply they would then order again.

4. The second trainer would then reply, giving their orders and RPing the battle. At the end of the reply they would then order again.

5. This happens until the match is concluded. Battles wouldn't always have to end in a KO, it could be a mutual agreement to stop the match (like they do often in the anime). Once the match is done, one of the trainers posts in the shop thread, confirming the end of the battle and providing a link to the last post.

6. At the end of the week, the battle judge would then read through the entire RP and award between 1-6 levels to both trainers based on a marking system.

Obviously one would think trainers will just make the battle go in their favour but I don't think that will happen in most cases. It makes more sense for the battlers to have a mutually agreed upon conclusion for the battle, since they risk lowering the amount of levels they both receive if it is done poorly. Medmana and MM have been having a battle in a base which is quite similar to what I intend http://forums.upnetwork.net/showpost...&postcount=133 .

I mentioned a marking system which is my teacher side coming out. Essentially it would be like a marking rubric

5-6 levels- (what you would be expected to produce)

3-4 levels- (what you would be expected to produce)

1-2 levels- (what you would be expected to produce)

Honestly I would expect most of the time things would fall into the 3-4 range but the 5-6 range would be quite possible. 1-2 I wouldn't expect many to hit but it is there in case it is required.

Battle Length

I would expect the battles to go for at least 5-6 rounds (that is around 5-6 sets of orders so a total of 10-12 replies), this is a similar standard to In Zone battles.

I think that is all I have for now but it is quite likely I have forgotten something, feel free to tear me to shreds but I would prefer we discuss this like the civilised people we are.

Last edited by TheKnightsFury; 09-12-2017 at 03:13 AM.
TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:48 AM   #35
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
I've been pretty silent amidst all the PvP proposals people have been bouncing around, mostly because I couldn't figure out what to say about it all, but I feel like I should be the one to point out what may be the biggest argument against TKF's idea: none of the battles would feel 100% authentic. There would always be some element that feels scripted and wouldn't be very interesting for other people to read. In fact, the whole notion of a "mutually agreed upon conclusion" in order to have the battle be judged properly says to me that some sort of scripting is required, and I don't see that as quality RP at all. This is why many people are so critical of the Pokemon anime, it's because 1) the outcome, as well as much of the middle of any given battle is so predictable for the most part, and 2) most of the errors are done by the Pokemon, not the trainers, unless the trainer is inexperienced, an overconfident rival, or a villain, all of which have predictable personalities. Where's the mistakes made by the real characters, or the players, in FB's case? I can remember certain battles I did back in old FB, and they were so memorable because either I or my opponent made legitimate, strategic mistakes that cost us the battle. The levels gained from winning certain battles really did feel earned which was the whole appeal to PvP in the first place.

I think people are so hesitant to return to that style because it got so tainted from one person (and the corruption in FB in general) that they'd much rather have everything be sunshine and roses and everyone get exactly the same thing out of PvP. Meanwhile, I don't see much harm in having something where rewards aren't guaranteed for everyone; in fact, if something like that doesn't exist at all in FB, I think we'd be missing out on a crucial element of an RPG: a world where defeats can truly have meaningful implications to your character.

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #36
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

I echo GS's sentiment; having been a part of the old battle system, I had a lot of fun reffing and I think people had fun battling too - with actual wins and losses and their associated implications. This was one system I never really thought was broken enough to be abandoned; fixes came as they were needed, but it was an actual functioning PvP from my point of view.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #37
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I have to side with GS in this case; this sounds a lot like "chatfight" Battles I used to participate in which were prone to "godmoding", and is basically what's already taking place in Secret Bases from what I hear. Personally I prefer having an unbiased ref to judge, and elements of surprise. One of the best Battles I had was with darkrai where even though it turned into an energy stalemate between his Bronzong and my Azumarill, Stacey made it interesting by having our Pokémon become comically stuck together. You can complain about the energy-draining mechanics of the previous PvP system, but boy if it didn't make for the most hilarious experience.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #38
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Yeah, battles like these are good for free RP, but as far as I'm concerned, the old battle system, for the most part, fell under the heading of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". One battle, my Meowth managed to beat Raves's Lunatone with exactly 1% of his health remaining, when I wasn't sure I'd win at all. In fact, some of my favorite battles are the ones that are too close to call until the very end.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #39
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

Disclaimer 1: If absolutely nothing changes on this front from the way things are now, they're still much better than they were and I'm grateful for that.

Disclaimer 2: Most ideas below aren't really original, but rather adapted from other Pokemon RPGs where I've seen them work.

------

I believe we could do with a significant overhaul to the levelling system in this game. My points of contention with the current situation are the following:
  • At present, Levels serve two exclusive purposes: they are a condition for evolution, and a condition for breeding. There are no stats in this game, no PvP where higher levels could overpower lower ones based on ref discretion, even level-up moves are mostly irrelevant now since they can be purchased ahead of the required level. So the only things a player misses out on by not levelling their Pokemon are access to evolutions and breeding agreements, but at the same time, these can be a crippling limitation for many players.
  • Rare Candies in this game are anything but, and due to the nature of FB, where grinding does not exist, they are still important enough to be a hard currency and fundamental enough that they have to be supplied every week. This is a corruption of the entire concept of Rare Candies which, in the games, are few and far between and represent a minuscule percentage of the level-ups that occur. A revision to Daycare rules has tried to minimize this issue, and while it has been a very welcome improvement, the weekly shop is still a counterpart to Candies and the primary method of gaining levels, because frankly, Zones just don't move fast enough.
  • The insistence on using levels in FB (which are gained at breakneck speed in the games while at a snail's pace here, yet the number requirements are exactly the same for evolutions) has led to the creation of 2 situations which showcase how out of place the 0-100 Level system is here: Heart Scales have been retconned to award +10 (!) Levels (making Rare Candies even more laughable), and updaters are forced to award multiple levels at once for successful tasks since, in theory, Zones should be the preferred way to grow stronger (they're really not, even though there's been an obvious effort on this front too).

So basically, I propose we strip away the current level system completely which only seems to be in place because a) it's been this way for a really long time, and b) it's faithful to the games.

It would eliminate the need for weekly candies (or candies altogether, making them Rare again), multiple week stays in a flavorless Daycare Center shop, Zone level awards for menial tasks, OP Heart Scale mechanics (which are nothing like in the games so that levels can be everything like in the games) and, more importantly, constant power-levelling and numbers management for evolutions and sex. Fundamentally, I think FB's pace and nature are incompatible with a 0-100 levelling system without feeling like either an absolute slog, or somewhat less of a slog with a bunch of tweaks and fixes.

The system I saw used in another game was roughly the following, schematically:
  • For a Pokemon that evolves twice: Stage 1 --> 3 EXP --> Stage 2 --> 5 EXP --> Stage 3
  • For a Pokemon that evolves once: Stage 1 --> 5 EXP --> Stage 2

In that game, which was heavy on PvP, stats existed and Pokemon knew all their moves from the get-go like in ASB, except for EM/MTs which had to be bought.
I don't think this is ideal for FB either because it strips away a lot of the sense of progression, but strictly speaking, I vastly prefer that level system to ours because it's so much simpler. In that game, Pokemon gained EXP after battles (which happened all the time and were held on Discord, so the pace never dropped) but we could easily adapt: instead of giving Pokemon +3 Levels for successfully picking a lock, we could just as easily give them 1 EXP. Battle victories, since they happen less often, could give 2 or 3 EXP. Rare Candies could give 1 EXP, and so on. Reaching the necessary stage for evolution would be much simpler, far less shop dependent, far less Candy dependent and far less numbers dependent. It would also balance Pokemon that, since they're found in high-level areas in the games, were made to evolve unreasonably late, like Deino or Mienfoo, evening everyone out (because getting a Hydreigon in this game is nothing if not a chore).

As for level-up moves, we could adjust so that Pokemon with 0 EXP know their moves from Lv 1-5, and upon gaining 1 EXP they would learn the moves they'd have for the next 10 levels (1 EXP = moves from Lv 6 to 15, 2 EXP moves from 16 to 25, etc). That would, at least partially, lessen the need for buying endgame moves at the Tutor because we would get to them much faster.

Obviously this is a big overhaul and we would, as always, be left with the question of what happens to current Candy stashes and how to reimburse people who spent most of their candies and Heart Scales on levels that could have been saved in this new system. To that I can't give a solid solution for the simple fact that I absolutely don't mind the net loss at all if it means we get a better system, but I don't expect everyone to feel the same way and it's natural others will want compensation. If this turns out to be the make-or-break aspect I expect it to be, I'll gladly discuss options (implementing this system doesn't implicate the removal of any Candies from FBs existence like we had to do for coins, after all), but I'd really just like to get a feel for the community's opinion on eventual changes to this system as a whole first; if everyone is ok with the current system and prefers it to one similar to the skeleton proposed here, I'll drop the matter.

This is mostly me throwing a bit of discussion out there for consideration (I really haven't equated all of the changes that would come with this, but hey, it's a start!), because the way levels work has bugged me since 2012 and the more numbers I have to manage and weeks I have to slog through, the less I enjoy the RP side of things. Personal preference as always, and like I said, I'm grateful enough for what has already been changed if nothing else is.

Last edited by Maskerade; 05-16-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Maskerade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #40
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
I have plenty of aversions to this here.

First, is exp ENTIRELY zone dependent? The way it's worded, it seems like, if the shops/candies were to award exp instead of the standard levels, people could just drop a Pokemon off at the Daycare for a few weeks, that Pokemon gets max exp so quickly, and there would be ZERO need to have them in zones for exp. Then people would want the Daycare to be completely dropped in favor of zone-only exp outside of...one candy per lifetime? I know I'm exaggerating, but I'm trying to put into perspective the kind of overhaul a system like this would be putting in.

Second, what even is the cap for exp? Pokemon are fully evolved and learn all their level-up moves at various levels, and we couldn't just have a cap that's completely far out there, nor can we have one that makes it so large groups of Pokemon learn everything or evolving at the same amount of exp, therefore muddling Pokemon identities quite a bit.

Finally, would this even feel like Pokemon anymore? I mean, the big reason I've never joined ASB is because it uses a completely different leveling system, and to me that doesn't match up with what I have known for over 20 years of playing the game. Meanwhile, FB is RP with the standard Pokemon leveling system in mind, which is why I even joined it in the first place, therefore using exp instead of levels is just...pretty jarring to me.

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:25 PM   #41
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark View Post
First, is exp ENTIRELY zone dependent? The way it's worded, it seems like, if the shops/candies were to award exp instead of the standard levels, people could just drop a Pokemon off at the Daycare for a few weeks, that Pokemon gets max exp so quickly, and there would be ZERO need to have them in zones for exp. Then people would want the Daycare to be completely dropped in favor of zone-only exp outside of...one candy per lifetime? I know I'm exaggerating, but I'm trying to put into perspective the kind of overhaul a system like this would be putting in.
In my mind, a system like this wouldn't need Daycare anymore, shifting focus away from shops. Candies would become Zone and event rewards like Heart Scales are now, so EXP would be won primarily in Zones (as we try to do for Levels now) and the Candies that are obtained as you adventure, much like what happens in the games. Essentially what I'm trying to do is find an alternative that matches FBs pace without removing canon items but reducing their availability and removing drop-off Shops. You can argue that in doing so this wouldn't be FB anymore but that ends up being a matter of personal preference, which I respect ^^

Quote:
ISecond, what even is the cap for exp? Pokemon are fully evolved and learn all their level-up moves at various levels, and we couldn't just have a cap that's completely far out there, nor can we have one that makes it so large groups of Pokemon learn everything or evolving at the same amount of exp, therefore muddling Pokemon identities quite a bit.
My bad for not mentioning it! The EXP cap would be 10. Again I guess this is purely about opinion, but I don't see evolution thresholds as defining Pokemon identities; a Mienfoo evolving at Lv 50 has no more personality than a Nidoran evolving at 16. I understand your concern about over-generalizing thresholds but my conviction is that it really won't matter once EXP starts being earned by Zone achievements whether it's a deal breaker that Dragonite and Hydreigon used to differ 14 Levels for final stage but now both evolve at 8 EXP.

Quote:
Finally, would this even feel like Pokemon anymore? I mean, the big reason I've never joined ASB is because it uses a completely different leveling system, and to me that doesn't match up with what I have known for over 20 years of playing the game. Meanwhile, FB is RP with the standard Pokemon leveling system in mind, which is why I even joined it in the first place, therefore using exp instead of levels is just...pretty jarring to me.
I have no possible arguments here if you joined FB for the levelling system because if so we couldn't be any farther apart in our opinions :P I think in a game about roleplaying all this attention to numbers is excessive, and (again, totally personal!) it bothers me a lot more to see items non-canonically given effects they never had than the level system being overhauled. Essentially, most of the time spent on the games is spent on murder sprees of 10 seconds per fight and levels just pile up as a result; FB is about exploring and building characters and I guess that's why I would prefer a progression system tailored to that rahter than bend the game to wrap around the growth system put in place for a battle-heavy videogame.

((Look, you guys let me know if I'm coming across as obnoxious or inflammatory in my posts. I've had misunderstandings before because of wrong use of expressions or the inability to let go of a subject!))

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development