UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #14226
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Flying types are indeed awesome. I've somehow managed to get three of them: Dragonite, Crobat, and now Drifloon. :3 I also want a Gyarados at some point~

FB Member Post
FB Memakyu
FB Affinity Avenue

Credit to Pengyzu for my user bar. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #14227
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
Flying types are indeed awesome. I've somehow managed to get three of them: Dragonite, Crobat, and now Drifloon. :3 I also want a Gyarados at some point~
Pidgey (more specifically, Pidgeotto) and Scyther were two of my original favorite Pokemon, and remain there to this day.

Persian isn't Flying, but he tops the list forever.

-Cuddles Banzai-
Old 09-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #14228
Toyo
hail

Quote:

Also, MM, isn't your Stunfisk already suffering from some deep-set neuroses because of how frequently he experienced feelings of being abandoned/unloved by previous trainers? Why are you traumatizing him further? T_T
And I didn't feel bad at all when I read that.

Quote:

1st Tier:
-Cottonee
-Female Snorunt
-Drifloon (now owned)
-Rotom
-Ditto
-Yamask

2nd Tier:
-Magikarp
-Mawile

3rd Tier:
-Golett
-Sableye

4th Tier:
-Misdreavus
-Spiritomb
-Shinx
-Woobat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_Angel View Post
I'm disappointed by how low Sableye is on your priority list, where's the love *huggles Impish*

I never had a preference in what order I obtained my ghosts, just Litwick, Yamask to go and I'd like to own a Deino at some point. I have no space but could easily remedy that by Levelling a Pokemon to 100 again but I want to RP with my newer ghosts (Poseidon and Dwemer) before I start trying for another.

Perhaps I should post in the Bar then I would have opportunity to do so. I'm trying in Cascadia with my Golett but we seem to have come to a halt ;-;
Oh, ok then. Both Arc and Marion are after Yamask. So much for me having one any time soon.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #14229
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
Yeah, about that, I've already arranged to trade for the Woobat. Neville is now in the hands of the FB Adoption Center, and all that remains is for Itza to start the trade, and for the bank at FB to reopen. And as for Neville's abandonment issues, the next post I make at the bar should clear everything up. In hindsight... Stunfisk was just a whim, but Woobat, not unlike Myrtle, is turning out to be one of those things that I didn't know I really wanted for my team until the opportunity presented itself.
You have saved me from a horrible fate. Probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 09-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #14230
Arc_Angel
Ghostly Mistress

I'd like to remind everyone that when you took the test to become part of Fizzy Bubbles for the RP test for many of you I stressed the importance of writing a minimum of 4 lines in size one. Why now that you've passed do you think its acceptable now to write 2-3 lines for a reply. You need to put the effort into your replies, your updators should be refusing to write you an update unless you do so and I can see some poor replies in the Cloud Garden for example. Rapid Fire does not mean replies that are too short or no effort.
We need to see some change in this sometime soon otherwise action will have to be taken.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #14231
tau
Cascade Badge

Edit: Disregard. Re-post from CG for people in my update group:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau
Brief note to people in my update group: as of today, I will not be updating in response to replies with less than four lines (preferable minimum of five/six sentences) until they are brought up to that minimum. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, I know we don't always have time to sit and write up lengthy posts, but this is FB policy and I intend to uphold it. Thank you for listening, and I hope you enjoy your adventures!
This isn't directed at any of you guys specifically, just so you know, just... a semi-formal declaration of my adherence to FB guidelines. Hope I don't sound mean :x

Last edited by tau; 09-16-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #14232
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
Pidgey (more specifically, Pidgeotto) and Scyther were two of my original favorite Pokemon, and remain there to this day.

Persian isn't Flying, but he tops the list forever.

-Cuddles Banzai-
Your original favorites are pretty much my original favorites. Maybe Primeape would be a bit higher than Persian but he was always awesome for me too.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #14233
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

My original favorites were Haunter and Gyarados. I still love them, though Gengar has since grown on me. I also liked Dragonair/Dragonite and Sandslash.

FB Member Post
FB Memakyu
FB Affinity Avenue

Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #14234
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Golem, Ledian, and Dewott are my top three favourite Pokemon. Gothitelle's up there, too.

Original favourites? Well, always loved the fossils, and Golem. And Flareon.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #14235
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
My original favorites were Haunter and Gyarados. I still love them, though Gengar has since grown on me. I also liked Dragonair/Dragonite and Sandslash.
I like Haunters design, but Quinn (my RP character) has reasons to dislike them x)

Sandslash has a definite spot on my Dream Team, but I always preferred Dragonair to Dragonite for some reason.

Basically you have good taste in Pokemon.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #14236
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Thanks, tau~! I always thought my tastes were a little odd... I've never been one of those girls who goes gaga over Eevee or Mew, even as a little one. I loved Gyarados, Feraligatr... Anything that could bite your head off in one go was cool with me. XD

So, I have to give major props to my updatees... You guys have not only been following the four-line minimum, but often surpassing it, which makes me a very happy Marion. Keep up the good RPing~!

FB Member Post
FB Memakyu
FB Affinity Avenue

Old 09-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #14237
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_Angel View Post
I'd like to remind everyone that when you took the test to become part of Fizzy Bubbles for the RP test for many of you I stressed the importance of writing a minimum of 4 lines in size one. Why now that you've passed do you think its acceptable now to write 2-3 lines for a reply. You need to put the effort into your replies, your updators should be refusing to write you an update unless you do so and I can see some poor replies in the Cloud Garden for example. Rapid Fire does not mean replies that are too short or no effort.
We need to see some change in this sometime soon otherwise action will have to be taken.
Speaking of updates: I see some updatees who I won't mention here by name that refuse to even try using proper grammar in replies. And I don't mean "person with English as a second language forgot a single 'the' by accident"; I mean people who don't use capital letters, commas, periods, question and exclamation marks and/or proper sentence structure. Despite being notified of this.

If I try to point out how a proper sentence looks like, I fear I'll get all sorts of hate on myself for picking on people when on the contrary, I just like text to be readable and for the updatee to have the tools to make creative posts.

Would anyone go to school and hand in an essay with no commas at all and text that takes an hour to read just so you can figure out what the writer is trying to tell you? Then why would the same people do that in an RP? We've got Word and other writing programs with a spell-check function and I'd like to believe that all members here have been to English class. So how come some people write like they're in first grade, or worse, have learned all their English on Facebook and Twitter?

There are people at FB who write in a way that makes me question how they got through the entrance exam in the first place. I won't deny that. I'm also aware English isn't my own first language and it's the same way for many of us and that mistakes happen. But when someone's post is full of errors, barely changes after a notification and when updatees' responses are 80-90% copy/paste of what the ZA wrote...

I want to be a nice ZA. I really do. But some updatees seem intent on making that as difficult as possible.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #14238
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Charizard and Tauros are some of my original faves and they still are. Seviper topped the original fire starter in Gen 3, but I still have a soft spot for it in my heart. Yeah, I'm was one of those Charizard fanboys back then.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #14239
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

That reminds me... I hope my responses have been okay this week, Kaisap! They've been a little rushed as of late because I'm often writing them between classes, so I hope they're not too horrific.

FB Member Post
FB Memakyu
FB Affinity Avenue

Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #14240
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

My FB wishlist:

1st tier (must have):
Trubbish
Gastly

2nd tier (can imagine my character owning, want very much but not top priority):
Foongus
Nidoran (male)

3rd tier (particularly recurring whims; stuff I'd gladly take, but only if I already had space):
Spiritomb

??? tier (want desperately but know it will never happen):
Missingno.

I've omitted Woobat from this list, as I'm going to own one soon.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #14241
Toyo
hail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
Speaking of updates: I see some updatees who I won't mention here by name that refuse to even try using proper grammar in replies. And I don't mean "person with English as a second language forgot a single 'the' by accident"; I mean people who don't use capital letters, commas, periods, question and exclamation marks and/or proper sentence structure. Despite being notified of this.

If I try to point out how a proper sentence looks like, I fear I'll get all sorts of hate on myself for picking on people when on the contrary, I just like text to be readable and for the updatee to have the tools to make creative posts.

Would anyone go to school and hand in an essay with no commas at all and text that takes an hour to read just so you can figure out what the writer is trying to tell you? Then why would the same people do that in an RP? We've got Word and other writing programs with a spell-check function and I'd like to believe that all members here have been to English class. So how come some people write like they're in first grade, or worse, have learned all their English on Facebook and Twitter?

There are people at FB who write in a way that makes me question how they got through the entrance exam in the first place. I won't deny that. I'm also aware English isn't my own first language and it's the same way for many of us and that mistakes happen. But when someone's post is full of errors, barely changes after a notification and when updatees' responses are 80-90% copy/paste of what the ZA wrote...

I want to be a nice ZA. I really do. But some updatees seem intent on making that as difficult as possible.

(Shrunk to size one to save space)
I understand Kaisap. Grammar is my top priority personally while writing, but everything I write is ridicoulously short. I joined FB originally to attempt to practice RP/writing, but length is always a personal problem for me. Sorry for my strange, horrible writing habits, but that's what I'm practicing for.

Anyways, lets tack on a few little things that have been brought up, shall we?

As I started playing pokemon around 3rd gen, my original favorites featured Clefairy, Porygon, and Castform. Normal types were some of my favorites. Now, of course, my true favorites include Buizel, Shuckle, Castform, Porygon, and Audino.

And now, for that little tier thing people have done, I will store in a spoiler.

Spoiler: show

Tier 1- WILL have. AT WHATEVER COST.
Castform
Audino
Yamask
Shuckle has been obtained

Tier 2- I'll go for it if it comes along...
Emolga
Phanphy
Chatot
Chingling

Tier 3- Meh. Maybe if I could.
Oshawott
Female Combee
Bonsly
Sudowoodo
Delibird

Quite the long list...

Last edited by Toyo; 09-16-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #14242
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
That reminds me... I hope my responses have been okay this week, Kaisap! They've been a little rushed as of late because I'm often writing them between classes, so I hope they're not too horrific.
I absolutely didn't mean you with the grammar-thing. ^^'' You do a far better job with your replies than I ever could as an updatee or could hope for as a ZA. Same goes for a lot of other people as well.

The "bad apples" are few, but I'd like to get them on the right track before FB crumbles to a "4 lulz" RP. >-<
Old 09-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #14243
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Quote:

I can relate to this all too well. Not gonna say names either, but it is frustrating to watch, and I'm not a native English speaker either, but one can tell when some is simply making silly mistakes or perhaps understandably rushing things because of real life issues, and one can tell when someone flat out doesn't care. The latter is just unacceptable. I try to be a nice ZA, so I'm very lenient on this, but one has to draw the line somewhere.

Also, Marion, your responses on a zone, bar, or base I find are hardly horrific. Abridged at times? Maybe. But they're always a great read, at least to me. I often wonder how you manage to pull them off. xP

::FB::WF::

Last edited by Balmund; 09-16-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #14244
Takeo
Boulder Badge

If this is causing such a controversy I think this should definitely be brought back (I tend to lurk),
I wouldn't mind it tbh especially since I'm not that 100% sure I'm replying correctly,
I already had someone inform me about 'self-updating', I didn't mean to of course but being told directly that I was, helped, by being vague about it doesn't seem to be much of help, and you won't be embarrassing them by telling them one on one,

Also my writing style is weird I could have 8 lines, be it broken, but in realty someone could say its actually 3?
But I break it because that's how I'm used to writing my stories.
Anyways thats my 2 cents right there ^^;

Last edited by Takeo; 09-16-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #14245
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
I absolutely didn't mean you with the grammar-thing. ^^'' You do a far better job with your replies than I ever could as an updatee or could hope for as a ZA. Same goes for a lot of other people as well.

The "bad apples" are few, but I'd like to get them on the right track before FB crumbles to a "4 lulz" RP. >-<
I'm glad that it hasn't been a problem, though I honestly need to do a better job proofreading in general. I accidentally typed "wait" instead of "weight" in one of my updates and cringed upon realizing what I had done. Obviously spellcheck didn't catch it, since "wait" is an accurate spelling (albeit for an entirely different word), but I felt like an idiot. I also have a nasty habit of using the same word twice in one sentence, such as "I already used that word already". Bleeeeh. XD

I hold myself to an impossibly high standard because I think it's important as a ZA to set an example, which is why I want to make sure that my updates/responses are not being viewed by others as poor quality. I tend to let my hair down a bit in the bar, but part of the fun of RPing is really getting into the writing and doing your best with it. I mean, we all have different lengths we're comfortable with, our own styles and our own levels of proficiency as far as grammar is concerned, but it's all about making sure that you put in that extra little bit of effort. I love all my updatees, even if they are at different "levels" when it comes to various aspects of RPing. They all bring their own strengths to the table and I really respect that.

Also, "lol" is one of my biggest pet peeves ever. It has been ever since I was little. No idea why, but that little acronym bothers me.

FB Member Post
FB Memakyu
FB Affinity Avenue

Old 09-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #14246
Toyo
hail

Quote:
Also, "lol" is one of my biggest pet peeves ever. It has been ever since I was little. No idea why, but that little acronym bothers me.
Spoiler: show
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

I would attempt to hide, but Minerva will find me no matter what. I HAVE NO REGRETS.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #14247
tau
Cascade Badge

I may be taking a break from updating for a few days. I'm not resigning my post as ZA or ditching my update group or anything, but I feel as though I'm the reason all of this "posting reform" discussion was brought up in the first place. My updates have all been six or more sentences at the minimum, and I had believed myself to be operating within the boundaries of acceptable rapid-fire posting, but if not then... I dunno, kinda discouraging.

Not gonna be all whiny or complainy, and I'm sorry for littering posts all over TO, but I might need some time. Thanks, sorry, I will shut my mouth now.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #14248
Takeo
Boulder Badge

^And this is what I was talking about.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #14249
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
If this is causing such a controversy I think this should definitely be brought back (I tend to lurk),
I wouldn't mind it tbh especially since I'm not that 100% sure I'm replying correctly,
I already had someone inform me about 'self-updating', I didn't mean to of course but being told directly that I was, helped, by being vague about it doesn't seem to be much of help, and you won't be embarrassing them by telling them one on one,

Also my writing style is weird I could have 8 lines, be it broken, but in realty someone could say its actually 3?
But I break it because that's how I'm used to writing my stories.
Anyways thats my 2 cents right there ^^;
I think a writer's workshop in the TO might potentially be a helpful solution... People can post potential updates or responses for others to look over and comment on. Obviously, such a workshop would run the risk of having people viciously tear others apart or say that something is "good" when it's not, but I think with some well-defined rules on what counts as "constructive criticism" and an understanding that the whole purpose is to help others improve their writing and RPing, it might be a great way to utilize the community as a way of solving a problem in FB.

What do you guys think?

FB Member Post
FB Memakyu
FB Affinity Avenue

Old 09-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #14250
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoyo3131 View Post
I understand Kaisap. Grammar is my top priority personally while writing, but everything I write is ridicoulously short. I joined FB originally to attempt to practice RP/writing, but length is always a personal problem for me. Sorry for my strange, horrible writing habits, but that's what I'm practicing for.
I actually "suffer" from the same problem. Writing three-page-essays on the shape of a tree isn't my thing. I perfectly understand that. I'm happy enough with saying it's "dead" or "three meters high and a meter wide". We're not all Tolkiens and I don't expect everyone to be either. >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
If this is causing such a controversy I think this should definitely be brought back (I tend to lurk)
That's not a bad idea, but I'd like to add to it: if public humiliation (if there is such a thing to be experienced here?) is an issue, the training could be conducted through PMs. Heck, I'm willing to give a hand to those in need whether they want it or not. I think I'll actually approach my "offenders" with this idea, they'll learn better RP-writing and I can see commas again.

Quote:
I'm glad that it hasn't been a problem, though I honestly need to do a better job proofreading in general. I accidentally typed "wait" instead of "weight" in one of my updates and cringed upon realizing what I had done. Obviously spellcheck didn't catch it, since "wait" is an accurate spelling (albeit for an entirely different word), but I felt like an idiot. I also have a nasty habit of using the same word twice in one sentence, such as "I already used that word already". Bleeeeh. XD

I hold myself to an impossibly high standard because I think it's important as a ZA to set an example, which is why I want to make sure that my updates/responses are not being viewed by others as poor quality. I tend to let my hair down a bit in the bar, but part of the fun of RPing is really getting into the writing and doing your best with it. I mean, we all have different lengths we're comfortable with, our own styles and our own levels of proficiency as far as grammar is concerned, but it's all about making sure that you put in that extra little bit of effort. I love all my updatees, even if they are at different "levels" when it comes to various aspects of RPing. They all bring their own strengths to the table and I really respect that.

I've got the same issue there too! When "weight" turns to "wait" and I notice it/am pointed it out, I go edit the post in the same manner a starved man approaches a steak. I also want to keep up the standards, whatever they may be.

"Lol" is something I use sarcastically, if at all. In one of my zone adventures (in ZA-role) there is a character that uses the acronym, but it's part of the story.

Heard recently that there are kids out there who return essays to teachers...which contain "lol" and other "Internet vocabulary" frequently. In English-speaking countries as well. I don't think it's a crime to try and preserve languages - as much as it might come out as grammar-nazism. ^^''

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out