UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development

Old 01-09-2018, 03:51 AM   #1
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Meowth Fizzytopian Bureau of Employment

Fizzytopian Bureau of Employment

Are you falling behind budget in living expenses? Are you looking to save up to buy a special present for your beloved Pokemon? Or maybe you just want to make some fast cash? If so, welcome to the Fizzytopian Bureau of Employment, where various shopkeepers around Fizzytopia readily wait to be matched with prospective part-time employment staff! There are a number of jobs of a great variety to choose from. Ready to sign up? Follow these simple instructions!

Job Application Guidelines:
1. Look through the Bulletin Board and request a job listing that suits your interests. (One person per job listing on a first-come, first-served basis, unless the listing requests more than one person. Each individual may only take one job at a time.)
2. You will be given a task to accomplish in a corresponding Free-RP area where you will be tasked with roleplaying out whatever is needed. (Minimum 250 words per post)
3. Once the requirements have been fulfilled, return to report back your progress. Be warned, if you take too long to complete your job, there is the possibility you could be fired!
4. Depending on how well you completed your job, you will be paid by the agreed-upon wage. (The maximum Pokedollars one may earn in a week is $1000)
Miscellaneous Notes:
• This is meant to be a fun, optional way to roleplay and earn some cash on the side. No levels, captures, or items will be earned outside of payment described in the job listing.
• FB Shop Owners are permitted to add their own requests to the bulletin board as long as it remains as a free-flowing, roleplay-based task. However, payment will strictly coincide with standard payment methods. (No FC or anything else will be given out).
• Some jobs will require you to interact with “patrons” (other FBers) while others might require only a single post.
• Even if a task might not seem very fun, feel free to make something exciting happen and spice things up! Remember, these are free-RP areas, so anything goes and have fun with it!
Job Bulletin Board:
Quote:
The Bar
Description: Bartender needed for company holiday party. Conversation skills a must.
Payment: $250 for the night (3 posts minimum)
Job Openings: One: Position has not been filled
The Bar
Description: Waiters/waitress needed for company holiday party. Must have a positive attitude and good social skills.
Payment: $150 for the night (2 posts minimum)
Job Openings: Three: Positions have not been filled
Fizzytopia Parks and Wildlife
Description: Park cleanup crew needed to clear hiking trails of trash.
Payment: $100 for each day on the job (1 post minimum per day; up to 5 days maximum)
Job Openings: Two: Positions have not been filled
Maid and Butler Café
Description: Waiters/waitress needed. Must be able to act like a proper maid or butler.
Payment: $300 for each day on the job (3 posts minimum per day; up to 2 days maximum)
Job Openings: Two: Positions have not been filled
Trainer-Only Nightclub
Description: Bouncer needed to keep ruffians out. Must be strong in mind and body.
Payment: $150 for each night on the job (1 post minimum per day; up to 3 days maximum)
Job Openings: One: Positions have not been filled
So basically this is a fun little idea I thought of out of the blue and thought I would share it to see what everyone thinks. It really has little impact on the weekly FB routine but offers a small compensation to those who wish to enjoy our Free-RP areas. I’m thinking of adding more Free-RP areas (like the Maid & Butler Café) just to add more variety to the type of jobs being asked and I’m open to other ideas too! (Maybe like landscaper for the Fizzytopian mayor’s mansion? Sanitation crew for an underground subway/sewage area? Ice cream vendor for a park area?)

In the job listings on the bulletin board, the payment descriptions often mention a time period in "days". Not to be confused with real-life chronology, these periods are meant to reflect the passage of time inside the RP itself, so make of it what you wish. Let me know what you think!
Sandaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

I can dig it.

I'd like to see more activity in free RP areas, anyway.

Who has the right to post in this thread with jobs? For example, could I post a Parks and Wildlife job? I am the thread creator. Or can I only post Adoption Center related jobs? What if I want to send someone to Parks and Wildlife on behalf of the AC?

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Nerd Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

You're welcome to do either.Just remember that jobs you request are purely fictional and have nothing to do with your duties as SO. :P But if you want to use it for world-building purposes that's fine

~Fizzle Bubble~
FO:
NFC:
Old 01-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

I mean... yeah, I figured.

I have extensive references to a zone that doesn't exist in the AC intro. I'm all about that world building.

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Nerd Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Honestly this does look like a fun little idea. Since it's free rp areas it is solely on the person who does it, and it will encourage the use of free RP areas. I dig it.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Meetan
Soul Badge

I love this idea, and it's a good way to keep earning those dollahs when posts are slow and now that prices are higher/there's more to spend on. It could also work to help people develop their characters or at least show what they do between adventures!
Old 01-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I like this idea. It has a lot of potential, and I like the idea of being able to earn more through free RP.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #8
Naru
Known Leafeon Enthusiast

As someone who is constantly low on funds, I completely dig this idea. As I said last night, the maid cafe is a big highlight ��
Old 01-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #9
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

So, seeing as people are seemingly all-aboard with the idea and with all three mods' approval, I will be putting this shop into motion.

If anyone has any suggestions to further improve the shop's system or ideas for new Free-RP areas and/or potential part-time job listings, please continue to use this thread to voice your opinions!

~Fizzle Bubble~
FO:
NFC:
Old 01-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

So to clarify, one post to correspond with each day on the job, but they can all be posted, if I so chose, on the same day in real time?
Old 01-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Yeah, as long as the requirements are met. (Like if it asks for 3+ posts to count for 1 "day")

~Fizzle Bubble~
FO:
NFC:
Old 01-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #12
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Now that we've implemented this system, I've already come across a problem post-implementation that I think should be addressed; namely, these jobs are discouraging interaction with others, rather than encouraging it. Because the payment occurs over "days" in the RP world, it discourages interaction on a single day, because individuals want to get the "days" of RP over with in order to get their pay, rather than stop, engage in an interaction and stretch an individual day longer than it needs to be.

Also, to be frank about my personal interest in this, my free RP posts - and my attempts at getting to know people using a new character - are being completely thwarted already. And if that's happening with me, then I can only imagine how this will impact new members trying to get their characters acquainted with others. It's frustrating!

My proposed solution would be to conceptualize each job as being a single day of work, but that individual day has to span over X number of posts minimum. That way, people won't feel like they have to "rush" between days. We could possibly also implement pacing - so people can't just rapidfire the required number of posts and literally prevent anyone from interacting with them. A 24 hour minimum between each post might be nice. (Also, if we allow people to rapid fire, this could be an easy way to "game" the system - get rich VERY quickly - without RPing elsewhere).

The alternative would be to force interaction each day, making each day require X number of replies to other RPers, but this, to me, seems messy and forces interaction rather than simply encouraging it.

Thoughts?
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #13
Meetan
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post
Now that we've implemented this system, I've already come across a problem post-implementation that I think should be addressed; namely, these jobs are discouraging interaction with others, rather than encouraging it. Because the payment occurs over "days" in the RP world, it discourages interaction on a single day, because individuals want to get the "days" of RP over with in order to get their pay, rather than stop, engage in an interaction and stretch an individual day longer than it needs to be.

Also, to be frank about my personal interest in this, my free RP posts - and my attempts at getting to know people using a new character - are being completely thwarted already. And if that's happening with me, then I can only imagine how this will impact new members trying to get their characters acquainted with others. It's frustrating!

My proposed solution would be to conceptualize each job as being a single day of work, but that individual day has to span over X number of posts minimum. That way, people won't feel like they have to "rush" between days. We could possibly also implement pacing - so people can't just rapidfire the required number of posts and literally prevent anyone from interacting with them. A 24 hour minimum between each post might be nice. (Also, if we allow people to rapid fire, this could be an easy way to "game" the system - get rich VERY quickly - without RPing elsewhere).

The alternative would be to force interaction each day, making each day require X number of replies to other RPers, but this, to me, seems messy and forces interaction rather than simply encouraging it.

Thoughts?
Honestly I see no issue with the rapid fire responses. If anything, a problem is more likely to arise with jobs BECAUSE of interacting with others - if someone doesn't reply in time, you're fucked, all that jazz. But I absolutely agree that we need to sort out the discouragement of interaction in free RP areas, so we need a balance.

I feel like we should have two sections. One for the jobs areas and another for the actual free RP stuff. They can just be mirrors, only one is for the jobs and the other is for the actual role playing in. It's no real effort but solves all problems. Plus with a proper subforum for jobs we could invent more places to work so others don't miss out by having spots swiped. Not to mention, the variation would mean jobs suitable for all characters. If an area's popular enough or would work in a free RP sense, we could then also make an actual role play area for that, too.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #14
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Ette View Post

Thoughts?
So when I came up with this idea, the thought behind it was to have part-time workers actually interact with customers, especially with service jobs like waiter/waitress/bartenders. I think the problem that we're noticing is that the pacing of the "days" required for the jobs is much faster than the "real-time" of aback and forth RP. My suggestion to try and correct this is to make all job requirements fit into a single "day" and adjust the post requirement and maybe the pay based off of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetan View Post
Honestly I see no issue with the rapid fire responses. If anything, a problem is more likely to arise with jobs BECAUSE of interacting with others - if someone doesn't reply in time, you're fucked, all that jazz. But I absolutely agree that we need to sort out the discouragement of interaction in free RP areas, so we need a balance.

I feel like we should have two sections. One for the jobs areas and another for the actual free RP stuff. They can just be mirrors, only one is for the jobs and the other is for the actual role playing in. It's no real effort but solves all problems. Plus with a proper subforum for jobs we could invent more places to work so others don't miss out by having spots swiped. Not to mention, the variation would mean jobs suitable for all characters. If an area's popular enough or would work in a free RP sense, we could then also make an actual role play area for that, too.
I'm going to go ahead and say that I am not crazy about the "mirror area" idea because that completely defeats the purpose of the part-time jobs to begin with. Like I said above to Marion's comment, my wish was to get people posting and interacting in the free-RP areas themselves. If we're just creating new "zones" that's sole purpose is for a shop, then the objective has been lost. As for making more free-RP areas for more job opportunities, I have asked the community for ideas multiple times in this thread and am welcome to any idea, no matter how silly it might seem.

~Fizzle Bubble~
FO:
NFC:
Old 01-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #15
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Speaking as pretty much the sole source of this problem, I decided I'd try and do something about it. First, I posted an intro post for Gavin in the Nightclub, intended to take place the day after his final night working as a bouncer, this one actually serving as a response to Marion's post. And I still have one final post I'm gonna write for the Fizzytopia Parks and Wildlife for my cleanup job there, one which I will actually try to turn into an intro post which people will be encouraged to reply to.

I'm absolutely all for interaction with others in free RP areas. It's that sort of interaction that's made my Keith Masters character who he is today. I shouldn't be adding to, or creating, a problem like this in the first place, and I apologize for that.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #16
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandaa View Post
So when I came up with this idea, the thought behind it was to have part-time workers actually interact with customers, especially with service jobs like waiter/waitress/bartenders. I think the problem that we're noticing is that the pacing of the "days" required for the jobs is much faster than the "real-time" of aback and forth RP. My suggestion to try and correct this is to make all job requirements fit into a single "day" and adjust the post requirement and maybe the pay based off of that.
That sounds like a good first step, and may be enough to resolve the problem by itself. We can make that adjustment and see if that helps things, and keep assessing as we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
Speaking as pretty much the sole source of this problem, I decided I'd try and do something about it. First, I posted an intro post for Gavin in the Nightclub, intended to take place the day after his final night working as a bouncer, this one actually serving as a response to Marion's post. And I still have one final post I'm gonna write for the Fizzytopia Parks and Wildlife for my cleanup job there, one which I will actually try to turn into an intro post which people will be encouraged to reply to.

I'm absolutely all for interaction with others in free RP areas. It's that sort of interaction that's made my Keith Masters character who he is today. I shouldn't be adding to, or creating, a problem like this in the first place, and I apologize for that.
Don't beat yourself up over it too much, MM - the impetus for my post was actually after Meetan and I realized, after she made her first post in the cafe and I responded, that if we were to continue the RP, it would prevent her from being able to move on to the next "day" in the cafe. The post was deleted when we realized this problem so it may look like I'm just ragging on you - that's not the intention at all! My apologies.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #17
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Okay so I have removed the "day" aspect from the job requirements/payment, so that should serve to hopefully mitigate the need for people to rush out posts and screw up chronology. Let me know what you all think and hopefully that works better.

~Fizzle Bubble~
FO:
NFC:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development