UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 07-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #251
Sneaze
Mrow?

I really haven't been keeping up with my recent pickups and plays. =x So I'll just do the group I got a couple weeks ago as well as what I've picked up today.

GET!

- Arkham Asylum
- Arkham City
- Arkham Origins

I've heard nothing but good things about the trilogy, and with Asylum and City in a bundle for $30 and Origins being $30, I decided to blow my game budget on these as opposed to a new game.

- Assassin's Creed
- Assassin's Creed II
- Assassin's Creed Revelations
- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
- Assassin's Creed III

Right, so I went once more to go pick up something on the newer side when the fact that this particular GameStop had a copy of the original Assassin's Creed caught my eye. Now, this is normally IMPOSSIBLE to find, so I asked to see the disc, and naturally it was completely untouched. It was cheap as dirt, and II, Revelations, and Brotherhood came in a bundle for fairly cheap, with III being the same price as I. Made out with the full bundle of five games for just over $50. I have played bits and pieces of the series before but never actually the whole way through any of the games, which I will promptly be changing. Will probably pick up any other games in the series when I'm done with these.

BEAT! 100%!

- Arkham Asylum

This game was BEAUTIFUL. A great storyline that I could totally see being a thing in the DC universe, easy to use controls while still being challenging, and a combat system that I could really get behind. Not to mention well hidden secrets that require you to backtrack. I definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't played it yet and enjoys themselves some Batman.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #252
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Get:

Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning
I'm still not sure why I have a sudden craving to play a Harvest Moon game, but I figured I'd satisfy that craving! The one I bought in the flash sale was almost unplayable with its screwy controls and super long loading screens (even when I pause). I've put in some hours into this one. It's really fun so far. The beginning was a bit slow, but there's so much to look forward to. Atleast I hope there is. It would be a bit of a letdown if all I could do was have the regular animal and crop farm. I want to make my character a crazy cat lady! Put a shitton of cats on my farm and in my house and creep all of the townspeople out.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #253
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
- Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity
No localization nor fanslation patch? No problem! I've put enough hours into this series that I can get through this without question! There is a translation guide however, so as a bonus to the fun gameplay I'll also get ta know the new story included!

Total Spent (2014): $131.71

Beat!
.hack//Quarantine
- 11 hours, 20 minutes, 22 seconds
Piece of cake! There are lotsa tough baddies ta be wary of but I could handle 'em! I dislike that the final 4 dungeons before the final one both have no story significance and are all 5 floors deep, pretty obvious padding/filler right there. But overall its a very good game and finale!

Phantasy Star Portable 2
- 4 hours, 34 minutes
I cheesed this with my L120+ character on the regular story mission difficulty for max easyness! Ya do miss out on chunks of story doing just the missions as opposed to a fresh start, since they drop ya right into the battle areas unlike PSU: AotI which gave you the pre- & post- mission scenes. Guess thats the portable difference huh? With its new combat mechanics, baddies, areas, an all else this was the best PSU/P yet!

Total Playtime: 460:00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning
The beginning was a bit slow, but there's so much to look forward to. Atleast I hope there is.
"bit slow" is an understatement lol. But it does get so so much better beyond the opening two seasons!

Last edited by Lindz; 08-09-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #254
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Beat!
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity
- 17 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds
Playing through this with the translation guide was alil clunky for story stuff, constantly looking between 2 different screens but all was understood an went well! Gameplay of course was pure memory from having played this series since like 2006 lol. Don't need a language guide for that! Although as I get deeper into the newer features an stuff it may come in handy. The story mode was abit shorter than expected but they went all out an made each chapters challenges pretty neat! The new free missions are pretty darn good as well thanks to older areas being given new routes and a much denser monster population and combinations. The one downside I see is having to go and play "Episode 1" (PSP2 story mode) to unlock all the stuffs from that game -.-;

.hack//Link
- 48 hours, 47 minutes, 21 seconds
Sub-50 hours! I did minimal grinding an it shows but was still able ta make it through without to many troubles. The v0.2 patch introduces some more system freezing bugs all of which are avoidable, an more importantly a ton more translated text for both story and gameplay info which helped out. Gotta keep playing through all the post-game stuff ta check for typos/bugs/etc. which means all the grinding I skipped on has to be done now since ya need max affection with 11 characters to unlock various things!

.hack//Versus
- 2 hours, 42 minutes, 52 seconds
Thats alot lower then the almost 20 hours it took me the first time! Course thanks to NG+ I was able ta redo the story with powerful support items right from the start! Plus instead of taking time to unlock stuff and bring every characters to platinum rank, I only needed ta get half of 'em there to have the required points needed to face the final boss. This is still a cool an unique fighting game to me!

Total Playtime: 528:11:18
Old 08-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #255
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Depression Quest is free on Steam.

You have literally no excuse not to play it.

That is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #256
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
- Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
Been wanting this game since it was announced for localization! Good timing with its release meant I got it as a slightly late gift for no particular reason or occasion so there. I love beat 'em ups and zany stuff so it'd better click with me!

Total Spent (2014): $131.71

Beat!
Mega Man Legends
- 11 hours, 41 minutes, 00 seconds
Its been a really long time since I last played this! I'd pretty much forgotten everything about the setting/story/characters so playing again was almost like new! In fact I'd forgotten the game was pretty much a third person shooter O.o; guess I had played one of those before! The controls are as clunky as ever and the Technical race course can go to hell but I still had a fun time! Well maybe spending like an hour grinding for zenny to power up for the final boss fight wasn't the greatest... prolly my own fault for wasting money early on though! I really like the buster parts equipment system and the dungeon exploration even as basic as they were. Babu!

Total Playtime: 539:52:18
Old 09-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #257
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Beat: Ace Attorney Investigations 2

Yes, I realise this hasn't been officially internationally released, but uhhhhh directed me to a fan translation, which I've played to completion. It's a very professional patch that totally captures the Ace Attorney spirit and even has voice acting for the various characters who need it, which is a lovely touch. In any case, this game is absolutely excellent. It has a much more grandiose, high-stakes feel than other games in the series, which isn't surprising when the first case involves a presidential assassination attempt. It sets the scene very well, and getting a closer look into the lore of the Ace Attorney universe by examining the likes of the prison and the Prosecutorial Investigation Committee was something I really enjoyed. Major spoilers on some of the characters, story themes and cases in the box below.

Spoiler: show
Playing as Gregory motherfucking Edgeworth was an absolute treat, and easily one of the game's highlights. To see THAT particular case where he inflicted a penalty on Von Karma and then resolving it as Miles though... Oh Jesus, I had a little bit of a fangasm. The game also has plenty of emotional punch, most notably in the fourth case, when dealing with the amnesiac, injured Kay. Much of the emotional impact though, comes from the game's key theme of parent-child relationships, which are all over the fucking place. It's not a subtle theme in the least, but it's one I enjoyed, especially when it came to Sebastian and Blaise. Sebastian's character development has to be some of my favourite in recent gaming memory, and having him present that final piece of evidence against Blaise is enormously satisfying. I'd love to see him return in a future game, though I realise it's very unlikely. He's probably very competent by the time of Dual Destinies though... Le sigh.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #258
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
- Dead or Alive: Dimensions
Couldn't track down any new copies so used had ta do! $13 is pretty cheap which is also a plus!

Total Spent (2014): $145.48

Beat!
Dead or Alive: Dimensions
- 2 hours, 38 minutes, 00 seconds
It felt longer than that but I guess thats from playing it over the course of a few days? Only touched the story mode so far but wow that sure was a thing. Early on it was like way more cutscenes then play but then it flipped to the opposite later on with many battles seeming really silly and out of place given the cutscene which had played right before it. Speaking of weird tutorials all the way up to pretty much the ending? Well it was nice ta see a fighting game actually try to teach an inform players how to play so I'll count it as a positive! The only fight I lost was to Alpha 152 as Kasumi, almost a perfect streak! But I think the most important thing I took away from this game is that Hayabusa's partners (who isn't playable?) codename is "Sea Swallow". There are no words.

Total Playtime: 542:30:18
Old 09-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #259
Heather
Naga's Voice

So hey I forgot to post abou this:

Get/Beat: Shovel Knight
This is a great game and is well worth the 15 dollars. All the codes you can get can invoke different challenges in the game, and the new game plus makes for an extra special challenge. Definitely worth the 15 bucks and then some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #260
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Beat!
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
- 9 minutes, 35 seconds
Played on easy mode which means only 3 matches! Now that's being cheap! I still love this games humor, cuteness, and gameplay! Making big shiny gems an shattering 'em is the best!

Sonic R
- 12 minutes, 05 seconds
Still the best purely Sonic racer! Still looks nice, sounds nice but the controls remain somewhat rough. I beat it this time by coming in 1st on all five courses. Cheatingly by using a save file which had Super Sonic unlocked but none of the other characters which are harded to race against!

Sonic The Fighters
- 15 minutes, 20 seconds
Move over Sonic Battle the superior Sonic fighter is back! Its weird an kinda clunky but the soundtracks fantastic an I forever love the way it looks because it has that Model 2 board goodness!

Total Playtime: 543:07:19
Old 10-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #261
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

BEAT: Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (NDS)

Last person in the world to play this, I assume? It was brilliant. A purely story-driven game that managed to hold my interest from start to finish, despite a couple of shortcomings. The characters were memorable, starting with Phoenix - for a kind of player that tends to dislike main characters, that's a huge plus.
Most cases were structured very well, and by the time Cornered started playing I always felt a huge sense of satisfaction - rarely did the intended climax of each case fail to deliver.

My complaints:
- It's impossible to actually lose. I know this is a sort of visual novel (I think?), but the infinite save points never made me fear for the outcome of a case.
- The Steel Samurai case wasn't on par with the others, even if it was meant to be a transitional one.
- Despite the obvious effort they put into the last case (DS-only), it didn't nor could it ever top the one that came before it. It had a lot of new features thanks to the new console, it was by far the longest case and had a lot of twists and turns, but at the end of the day it could never be as emotional as the final GBA-version trial was.

The soundtrack is easily one of the most enjoyable I've heard in quite a while. Some tracks in particular were phenomenal, such as Cornered, Objection, Turnabout Sisters and Gumshoe's theme. Which worries me a bit because I've heard tracks from the PWAA games that follow and none are half as good as this... it'll take a while to get used to catching criminals to anything other than this sound.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #262
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleZone View Post
BEAT: Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (NDS)

Last person in the world to play this, I assume? It was brilliant.
If you're interested in discussing more or reading others' thoughts, we have threads for each game!

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright

We don't appear to have threads for the two Miles Edgeworth games, but we have a number of people here who have played one or both of those games as well.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #263
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

GET: Fantasy Life

PLAYED:
Fantasy Life + Origin Island DLC

I got this game a couple of days ago on sale at Target and so far I've put like 5-6 hours on it.

This is a fun game, like a really fun game. There's a surprising level of customization when creating your character, though I think some of the options come from the DLC.

I'm still only in the first town, but that's purely because I wanted to try out the different Lifes. So far I've been a tailor and woodcutter and I am just starting out on Carpenter. I don't think that this game will be for everyone, but so far I'm really enjoying it.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #264
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Beat: Final Fantasy 9

Only like fifteen years late. I'd forgotten how very much party splitting it did. It works really well from a story perspective but is a little irritating from a levelling/equipment perspective. Overall a great game though. I did break it a little by the end (having both auto-haste and auto-regen on all my main party meant I pretty much didn't have to heal at all). I seriously considered swapping Eiko out for Vivi towards the end so little did I have need for a healer. Glad I didn't though, Holy is OP and Dispel proved very useful as the final boss loves tossing Protect and Shell on itself. Final party; Zidane, Amarant, Eiko, Steiner.

Debating whether to play FF8 or FF7 next. I recall getting really annoyed with 7 before, but I'm constantly assured it gets better. 8 I've beat before and enjoyed, but many years ago.

Last edited by Concept; 10-09-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #265
phoopes
Double Dragon

Get: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Played this for a little bit at a friend's house and I loved it to death, so I bought it yesterday. Difference is that friend has a PS4, whereas I only have a PS3. And boy is it disappointing once you've played the "real" version of the game.

I've only played for about four hours, but I've seen a lot of graphical glitches. They're kind of hard to explain, but it's like instead of their normal model, Caragors sometimes show up as a smooth brown model, almost like it's unfinished and they haven't put the outside skin on it yet. And there are glitches with the sound as well. One time there was the sound of an Uruk heavily breathing wherever I traveled (this was fixed when I entered a cutscene), and the other time the intense battle music kept playing regardless of where I was or what I was doing, this included during cutscenes where it was intermingled with other music and it just sounded weird.

I looked on the Internet and this seems to not be a problem limited to my disc. Apparently it's great on next-gen consoles but the PS3 and 360 versions seem to have problems. Also, from what I've read, apparently the really cool Nemesis system isn't running at full capacity on current gen consoles. I haven't noticed that yet, but if that's true then it's a big disappointment. I spent $60 on the game and it's full of glitches and one of its big selling points is toned down.

With all the complaining out of the way, I do think the game is really fun. I haven't had this much fun with combat in a long time. I hear it's a cross between Assassin's Creed and the Arkham games, but I've never played either of those series (yeah yeah I'm getting to it) so I can't really be the judge. What little I've seen from the story is all right, and any huge Lord of the Rings fans will appreciate all the lore in this game I'm sure.

tl;dr If you're planning on buying this game, I would recommend it for PS4/XB1/PC, but not PS3/360 unless you're just a really big LotR fan and can ignore the faults
Old 12-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #266
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

>PS3/360 "current gen"

The PS4/XBone are over a year old now, dude.

But Shadows of Mordor is good in general? Just picked it up for PC.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #267
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

Playing Skyrim for PC, over two years late. Because I've just now realized that with everything set to minimum, my laptop can actually run it properly, and all the great mods out there really make it seem like a whole new game. Having a blast so far.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #268
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
>PS3/360 "current gen"

The PS4/XBone are over a year old now, dude.

But Shadows of Mordor is good in general? Just picked it up for PC.
Holy crap you're right. I guess they're still next gen to me because I don't have them, haha. But yeah, the game should be great for you. Another thing I didn't mention for PS3 is the horrible horrible load times, as in getting out of the pause menu and back into the game actually needs a loading screen. Didn't have that issue when I played it on PS4 though, and I saw some PC gameplay from it and there were none of the issues I mentioned. So yeah, it's still good enough that I'm having a lot of fun, so it should be even better for you without all the issues.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #269
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Can confirm, Shadow of Mordor is basically Batman in Mordor. The combat system is clearly borrowed and adapted from Arkham. There are certainly enough differences to be appreciated. Has a few tricks from the Assassins Creed franchise too. It's a strong entry into the action stealth genre.

Ive got it for old gen too, but my biggest complaint is loading times. Ugh those loading times. Pausing and unpausing is a hassle. I mean, 9 year old console, what can you do, but man is it a thing.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #270
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
So I went down to one of other stores of the company I work for to make use of the last 15% discount I'll have before I leave at the end of the month to get Alpha Sapphire.

Came away with a Wii U/MK8 bundle and Smash U.

Well done, me.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #271
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

... Did you at least get what you came for?
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 01-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #272
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I did!
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #273
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Sex.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 01-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #274
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

So. Steam sale.

Spoiler: show
Get:

Batman: Arkham City
Child of Light
Don't Starve
Fallout New Vegas
Far Cry 3
Hitman: Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Lords of the Fallen
Metro 2033 Redux
Metro Last Light Redux
Rage
Shadows of Mordor
S.t.a.l.k.e.r: Shadows of Chernobyl
Total War: Shogun II
Valkyria Chronicles

Finally being able to afford games is nice, as I'd previously only bought two things all 2014 (Dark Souls II and Alpha Sapphire). That lot should keep me going for quite a while. Most of this stuff cost Ł3-5, with nothing being more than Ł15. Man I love how cheap PC games are compared to console counterparts. Couldn't have got a third of this on console for the price I paid for the lot. This lot barely cost more than getting Dark Souls II and Alpha Sapphire on release days (combined) did.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #275
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Bought the PW Trilogy for 3DS. I didn't plan on it, but I think I lost Ace Attorney 2, so I figured I'd just get the new one.

A friend bought me Depth. That should be fun. Shark vs. Diver combat!
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games