Megaman 2.5

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-mov...ler-may/319022

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
iAmDewgong
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via MSN to iAmDewgong
Megaman is proably the most on-the-spot name ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosuser
Metagroß: Male Beldum
Metagroß is a totally metal dude. One day, Kuno's voice boomed out, "YOUR STRUGGLE TOTALLY MAKES YOU METAL." This benediction fueled Metagroß' determination to keep struggling to the very end. In his neverending struggle to fulfill his destiny, Metagroß sought out Morg for enlightenment. Morg looked with respect upon Metagroß' tireless struggle and permitted him to train alongside his Magikarp. Now, Metagroß has learned not to be mastered by its struggle, but to be the master of its Struggle.
iAmDewgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Vran
Cascade Badge

Bah, this so-called "fan" is completely missing the point of what made the original Mega Man games awesome! And what made Mega Man 9 such an amazing treat! It's not that MM9 was designed in an old-fashioned, 2D way and we like it because it's old-fashioned. It's that MM9 was designed to look like the old school games in order to evoke an emotional, nostalgic response from the player from the moment he first laid eyes on MM9, such that he'd look at it and say "Wow! Cool! It's like the sequel to Mega Man 6 that never was!" (Seeing as 7 and 8 stylistically swerved the Blue Bomber off into visual territory with less resemblance to 1-6 than 9 had.)

When you produce what looks like the shittiest three-dimensional 8-to-16-bit platformer ever and call it "Mega Man 2.5," you please no one except for the president of your personal fan club: yourself. -_-; It looks too shitty to be considered a good 3D platformer but it also looks far too alien to be accepted with wide-open arms by the Mega Man fandom. Where Mega Man 9 was "Awwwww, we don't recognize you and yet in some strange way we do, com'ere, you! ", Mega Man 2.5 looks to be "Ahhhh, get that ... that thing away from me! It's hideous! Ugh!" In fact, if anything making your Mega Man game in 3D only serves to remind us of the horrors of Mega Man Legends. And that's something you don't want to do if you want the fans to take your fan-made video game seriously.

I'll say this: he did have a nice idea for how to incorporate multiplayer into Mega Man 3 without making drastic alterations to the existing stages. A little screen-widening here, some heightening of the mid-boss's neck there, and voilÃ*: you have a game which two brothers can play together, cooperatively as well as synchronously, and not have it be as lame as coop multiplayer was for other old video games like Donkey Kong Country (blegh, worst coop mode ever). I was getting worried there for a second but when Proto Man equipped Hard Man's power glove, I breathed a sigh of relief. The switches, while visually unattractive, were really quite clever. I love how he implemented them with some classic disappearing-reappearing stepping cubes. Nice.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

The rest is kinda shitty, but that co-op mode is 100% badass.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Vran
Cascade Badge

Relieved to learn that we agree, then. Hopefully whatever fanbase he attracts does too: although I doubt it, as most people will be scared off by that atrocious 3D platformer he doubtless spent many hours coding and all who'll be left behind to cheer him on will be the fans of that modicum. Which is too bad for him as well as for the greater Mega Man fan community since, with the right encouragement, he'd ditch the 3D project and get to work on converting Mega Man 2, 3, and (if I was willing to risk it) 9 into slightly-altered versions of themselves which would allow for full coop mode.

Can you picture coop beating Wily's butt?

How about the numerous ways in which he could re-engineer the bosses' movement speeds and salvo patterns to make them all-but-impossible for one man to beat and a difficult challenge even for the skilled duo of Mega Man and Proto Man?

That would be pretty sweet. Plot-wise it'd introduce complaints like, "How come Mega Man's ganging up on the boss 2 against 1? That's not fair! ", but the plot's generally something you put out of your mind when playing the multiplayer mode of a traditionally single player title.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I felt the same.

I wasn't impressed until the second half, but then again I thought one person was playing the second half.

I also didn't know Okkusenman took its theme music from Dr. Wiley's theme until about two months ago. I've never played a MM title...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games