UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 05-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Half-Life looks cool.

I read the plot summary of Half-Life and have determined that it is a cool/interesting game. I'm going to see if I can get it either this summer or for this Christmas.

The issue is, it's an old game. Will it hold up after a decade? It's not like I have high standards, but I've already read most of the plot.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Half-Life looks cool.

NO! No, it will not. I played it for the first time in my life (without any knowledge of the story other than "nuclear physicist Gordon Freeman") back in December 2003, when the game was "only" 5 years old, and it looked and felt God-awful next to the then-brand new Call of Duty. All I can say is, there's a reason that Valve freaks demand a remake of Half-Life as badly as Final Fantasy freaks demand one for Final Fantasy VII: and that's because both games, while revolutionary for their day, have not aged well at all.

If you already know the entire story, then I suggest you do what I'm contemplating: purchase The Orange Box and start off with Half-Life 2. Then proceed to the next installment. And then the next after that (if it's out yet, I forget).
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I forgot to mention, but the game is very poorly-coded in that you can potentially get to the final boss with maximum ammunition (no cheat codes), fire every shot at him, and still not kill him. I don't want to hear people fucking bitch that they beat him: I got to him like this, with Caltech friends to testify as witnesses, and that alien bitch didn't die. Fucking retarded. It's obviously a coding glitch, because I had friends watch me do it and say "Wow, you should have killed him, like, twice over. "

Modern shooters usually feature boss battles where the boss will either drop ammo (like in the Metroid Prime series) or ought to be beatable by you even if you run out of sexy ammo and have to use your infinite-ammo low-grade pistol (like in Dark Forces, going back to our DOS days!). But I guess the so-called "revolutionary" Half-Life was released just before that trend was set.

That's because (in case you haven't figured it out already from context) Half-Life's only infinite-use weapon was the crowbar, which you couldn't kill the final boss with (he was levitating way way away from you), so if you ran out of gun ammo and grenades, you were S.O.L.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The last FPS I ever played was Hexen II back in 1997 and it while I found it positively dreadful and utterly inferior to is predecessors, and I've always felt Quake and everything based on or off of it had horrible graphics compared with Hexen, Heretic or Doom, I haven't played a FPS in eleven+ years. So, while I've seen stuff for Xbox and whatnot, I guess I have pretty low standards because I have no idea what to expect.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I started playing this, and maybe because of my good experience with Portal, it's everything I imagined.

It looks ugly yes, especially compared with Source (though not as hideous as Quake or Hexen II, it's actually passable), but the experience is amazing. Though I'm a bit disappointed in a few respects -

1. It's not as plot heavy as I was lead to believe. From the hype, I thought Half-Life was going to be like living science fiction novel. It's got more substance than Doom, but feels less fleshed out than even the original Wacraft.

2. While I enjoy not being walked through the plot, the complete lack of direction often has me wondering where am I going? I'm wandering through Black Mesa and apparently want to get to the Lambda Complex, but I don't have clear reasons for going where I'm going, so despite the urgency of the plot it feels like a drag, wandering through chambers pointlessly and hoping I make it to where I want to go.

I feel Portal was excellent in this regard, and is a vast improvement over Half-Life. In each Enrichment Centre chamber, the goal was to get to the end and solve the puzzle to get out. After GLaDDOS tried to kill Chell, the goal was to escape Aperture Science alive. Wandering was more tolerable because one was going where one wasn't supposed to go, hoping to find a door or an exit of sorts. There was also nowhere else to go, the rooms were sort of small and forced the player toward a certain path, since they were after-all maintenance corridors for the test chambers.

But. But but but.

Being able to use weapons is great, and I like the survival aspect of Half-Life. I'm killing Marines with way more training, numbers and better firepower, and they're tough to kill and are always a legitimate threat. The aliens range from pesky to terrifying, and I like being able to kill NPCs.

Half-Life was a game that I should have played, but didn't. I was a PC gamer at the right time with the proper hardware but had already exited the FPS community. I feel had I played this in 2000, when I did Baldur's Gate, I may have turned into as big a Valve junkie as I am for Infinity Engine.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

There is a visual upgrade available for Half-Life, made when Half-Life Blue Shift was released. It's called the High Definition Pack and you can find it here. This really helps. Just check this sample of the security guard:

He now has a less boxy appearance, proper skin tone and shading, individual fingers, and a gun that doesn't look like it's made of LEGOs.

I could have sworn that I made a post in this thread years ago to debunk Talon's "The boss is unkillable" message, which is total bullshit. The boss is a puzzle kill, not a random shoot him until he dies boss. You needed to do very specific things prior to attacking him, then attack him at a very specific area to kill him once he was vulnerable.

Half-Life should really be seen as traveling through a maze. Essentially Black Mesa has become a facility you must escape by any means possible, but this can unfortunately include death. Usually you will run into an NPC who points you the right way. Typically lab scientists and possibly security guards. In fact, when you're low on HP (I think it was less than 30), lab scientists will give you a health boost while security guards set to follow can help with shooting (although they're rather dumb compared to today's shooter AI, goddamn look at Gears of War). There are also moments where you have to solve a puzzle to pass through. One example is in the test rocket chamber. In the middle of the room is an indestructible set of monsters which track you by vibrations. You have to slowly and silently walk or crawl through the chamber and find a way to clear out the monster to get to the next stage. While no one tells you to kill the monster, it's pretty clear that that is your goal.

The story is told over a lot of hours. I don't know if you beat the game yet, but near the end, the story is slightly better than the beginning. In truth, I think the emotion of the game was best. The accident of the resonance cascade created a sense of fear in not knowing what was out there. The appearance of aliens created a sense of fear and a need for survival through escape. Once you ran into the military, there was a betrayal by the government as they tried to clean everything up. And the ending gives a certain vastness to the universe.

Half-Life 2 and it's sequels have much stronger stories and are much easier to navigate. Valve learned a lot after releasing Half-Life. Characters have more personality and everything works out much better. Also, Antlions. I fucken hate-love Antlions - in that order.

If you want to find a really good shooter with great comedy and a quirky, fun story, look for No One Lives Forever and it's sequel No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.S. way. It's not available from Steam or GOG, but you can probably find it at a certain bay...

Last edited by Loki; 10-08-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Thanks Loki, I'll look into the upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
In fact, when you're low on HP (I think it was less than 30), lab scientists will give you a health boost while security guards set to follow can help with shooting (although they're rather dumb compared to today's shooter AI, goddamn look at Gears of War).
I noticed, but I appreciated this!

The AI Marines are surprisingly tough to kill, not just because they take a lot of damage, but their behaviour is unpredictable. One guy might hold his ground while another will run around and find a ledge to flank me. It's really challenging (like Team Fortress 2) and I felt comparing the inexperienced guards to these battle-hardened Marines really showed how unprepared Black Mesa was for the Resonance Cascade.

Quote:
The story is told over a lot of hours. I don't know if you beat the game yet, but near the end, the story is slightly better than the beginning. In truth, I think the emotion of the game was best. The accident of the resonance cascade created a sense of fear in not knowing what was out there. The appearance of aliens created a sense of fear and a need for survival through escape. Once you ran into the military, there was a betrayal by the government as they tried to clean everything up. And the ending gives a certain vastness to the universe.
I haven't, though I beat the tentacle. I didn't realize it was un-killable until I emptied a ton of ammo on it and nothing happened. When I was playing Quake, I beat the first level only to come face to face with that indestructible lava demon, and never beat it because I never went to the top floor and figured out it was a puzzle boss.

The graphics do sort of hurt Half-Life's sense of dread and fear, though I definitely feel the survival aspect of it (especially given how Gordon only gets ammo from dead Marines or security). And it's pretty scary when ceilings collapse right in front of you and explosions happen from nowhere. I thought the aliens (headcrabs) would be the most terrifying, but they turned out to be just an annoyance.

Quote:
If you want to find a really good shooter with great comedy and a quirky, fun story, look for No One Lives Forever and it's sequel No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.S. way. It's not available from Steam or GOG, but you can probably find it at a certain bay...
Monolith makes (made) good games, I'll look into it. I have no idea how long Half-Life is going to take but I doubt I'll one-night it like I did Portal.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 10-08-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I could have sworn that I made a post in this thread years ago to debunk Talon's "The boss is unkillable" message, which is total bullshit. The boss is a puzzle kill, not a random shoot him until he dies boss. You needed to do very specific things prior to attacking him, then attack him at a very specific area to kill him once he was vulnerable.
I did those things. I had people who had personally beaten the game -- multiple people -- watch me over my shoulders attempt him. And they were like, "Dude, that is so crazy. He should have died ages ago." I did all the puzzle stuff successfully and was at the part where you're supposed to just finish him off. And he wouldn't die.

Just because it didn't happen to you personally doesn't mean you have to be a dick and say, "Man, Talon is so full of shit, claiming that that final boss battle was poorly coded." I'd say it was poorly coded if it wouldn't let me beat the game despite doing EVERYTHING RIGHT.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
Loki

How can it be poorly coded? In like the 13 years of Half-Life's existence, you are the only person to make this claim.

I've owned the original release version with no updates and played through it several times without ever running into anything so catastrophic as a game crash. And you're like the only person in over 20 million to ever run into this 'bug'. If it were a coding error, it should have had occurred on more occasions than just Talon87 of Somewhere, Indiana.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It was Pasadena, California at the time, thank you very much.

I know what you're trying to say, but the grievance is real and it's insulting you're trying to delegitimize it to the point of saying "He's full of shit." I'm not full of shit. It really happened. I did everything right, with people who had played the game numerous times and knew how to beat it watching me re-attempt it, and everyone came to the same conclusion: "something's wrong with the game." I looked at some Youtube videos just now and lol'd at how little ammo it takes to kill the guy. Anywhere from barely any (if you do a lot of tricks) to maybe 1/4 max ammo (if you just go to town on the guy and do nothing but jump on the bounce-pods and throw grenades into his open head).

I don't remember the room looking the same, though, as it does on Youtube. It's admittedly been seven years since I played it so I could just be remembering wrong, but I thought ...
  • ... he was more brown, less gray
  • ... that the room had a black void of a sky, not a rocky ceiling
I was playing with an install of the original 1998 Half-Life, if that makes any difference. Like, I dunno if these Youtube videos are of copies of the game using the patch you told Doppel about. I doubt it though: you said those were just character texture mods, right? Not a full visual overhaul of the game's graphics? It'd have to be the latter to explain such drastic changes to the room.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
Loki

It's always been a giant rock room.

Your post doesn't do anything to describe the puzzle to beat him and the overall chance seems inexplicably impossible that you are the only man on Earth to ever run into this glitch. It's like Valve made a Talon87 only code to stop you from beating the game.

Even with your testimony of a friend witnessing you do this, this basically amounted to the same as you and your friend claiming to have had met the original Jesus Christ. You can say it, but it doesn't make it sound any more credible.

A very likely scenario in my mind was that you likely missed one of the possible triggers that disables his invincibility and also possibly you were shooting the wrong spot if you did. And with mention of it being impossible to crowbar him, which is possible thanks to the jump pad, it added to a sense of "He didn't do it right."

But seriously. Over 20 million sales in 13 years. Which sounds more likely? You being the only person to ever run into this bug or you making a mistake and skipping a step.

Also, the biggest possible point: Dopple will likely never run into this glitch.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've run into pretty weird, irreproducible glitches myself.

In my very first run of Baldur's Gate II, I fought a Lich in the Underdark and somehow managed to gib him while he was casting either Mislead or Simulacrum while he was being gibbed (as several Liches have Contingencies on them were they'll auto-cast Mislead upon taking a certain amount of damage, and death usually triggers it). Somehow, the script for the dead Lich was transferred to the Mislead and I ended up fighting an immortal, un-killable, spell-casting hunk of flesh that couldn't be targeted with specific spells or harmed through AOE attacks (because a gibbed monster is set at -10 HP, they cannot take anymore damage).

So, I'll give Talon the benefit of the doubt, though the point of his review was "Half-Life has aged poorly and my experience was particularly sour".

As I said earlier, I do agree that the game's graphics are poor. From someone who called out Quake in 1996 or whenever as the ugliest piece of cracker I had ever seen, it was surprisingly passable visually, but I think Portal has a lot to do with me feeling comfortable with it.

The survival, everything's fudged up feel hasn't aged at all, and that's the exhilarating experience that I'm feeling here. It's like how Baldur's Gate had the prologue in Candlekeep, then kicked you out of Candlekeep, made a suggestion of where to go and stopped there. You were no longer bound by the confines of the story and could just do whatever the heck you wanted, in an absolutely vast, immersive and populated universe.

FYI, what got me to risk getting Half-Life was a discussion I had with Talon a few nights ago about games and I remembered Tie Fighter. I played all the classic games of the 1990's except the fabled Half-Life and felt I had waited 10 years too long.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm pretty close to beating the game, I think. I'm about to go to Xen after practicing long-jumping. It's been a long, LONG road.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine. I still haven't beaten Half-Life 2 (never mind the various sequel episodes), but if you enjoyed Half-Life, then I think you'll greatly enjoy Half-Life 2.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'll probably never get HL2 because of the Steam requirement. I already blew my yearly game quota re-buying all Baldur's Gate titles PLUS the Icewind Dale ones. I'm also holding out for a free download someday but was going to put Portal 2 at higher priority.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I thought you owned The Orange Box. If you don't, you may as well get it. Portal + HL2 + Team Fortress 2. Hey ... don't you already own Portal and Team Fortress 2? Why the heck didn't you get The Orange Box when it fell to $20!? Did you buy both of these games separately on Steam? TF2 back when it was hot off the presses, and Portal at a later date when it was probably $10 or $5?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I bought Team Fortress 2 back in late 2009 and first activated it in 2010. It was $10. I bought it separately because -

1. The Orange Box cost $30, or $10 per game. Portal is short (it took me eight hours to beat it, rather than three days like it's taking for Half-Life, and definitely not worth the same price as the oft-upgraded TF2 or HL2.
2. Wasn't too interested in HL2 back then, since I hadn't played the original.

Someone said The Orange Box could have been bought for $10, but I have yet to find one selling for that price.

I got Portal last summer when Valve gave it away for free, once the ARG was underway.

I'm quite impressed with the progress I'm making in HL, to be honest. I feel Team Fortress 2 was excellent practice for it, since a lot of the tactics are coming rather naturally to me. It's a stark difference from how I played the 1990's shooters. I never used strafing when I was 8 years old, for example, and would try to hide from Doom's Cyberdemon by using noclip and running as far away as possible.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #18
Loki

On Black Friday (day after Thanksgivings), Steam usually holds giant sales and I've seen HL2 go for as low as $2.49.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:54 AM   #19
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

THE G-MAN!!!

Well, that was a blast.

How do I rate this, considering I've played Portal, TF2 and other Valve games? I'd call it "Good". Had this been in 1999, it would have been Masterpiece, but most of my criticisms from earlier hold true. Gordon does a ton of cool, really crazy military sci-fi stuff, but often I wonder if it's just filler material because of how unclear objectives are.

I like how Dark Forces and Tie Fighter did it - you were briefed in between missions, and then un-forseen stuff happened and you had to use your own judgement to still accomplish the mission goals. Half-Life sort of follows that, with the mission briefings coming from scientists or guards, but it wasn't a strong. I understand this was a creativity decision, but Dark Forces also had infiltration of military facilities, but the direction was just stronger (like in the mission "The Executor" - find your way to The Executor's hangar bay to dock with The Arc Hammer. You have a vague idea of where the bay is, why you're going there and what you're going to do when you get there).

Half-Life's survival angle is what I find immortal. In fact, a lot of the reviews I'm looking at praise this very attitude of the game above all else, and that's what's still so immediately recognizable to me. I don't play FPS often, but I know what FPS were before Half-Life. I suppose modern FPS have been very influenced by HL's interactivity and style, but for someone who was almost teleported into the future I can clearly see and respect the change.

This is even better than Duke Nukem in the interactivity department. I only wish Gordon could drive stuff like Duke/Lo Wang could. Piloting stationary guns was only a step in the right direction.

How'd I rate it? 8.5-9/10. It buys into my wheelhouse of "plot, but not too much plot such that game-play is irrelevant" but is a child of two worlds. On the one hand, there's too much plot for me to simply enjoy it as a mindless shooter like Doom. On the other hand, there's not enough plot for me to be fully engrossed in the narrative.

The combat is good but the game so long-ish I got bored in the middle without a clear objective, thus losing some of the drive to survive. I really liked the balance of the aliens/Marines and how things were sort of a free-for-all battle between those two forces and Gordon, culminating in the thrilling adventure into Xen. That was a great experience, I would love to see alien worlds rendered in Source.

I think the hardest two bosses were the second Behemoth one had to call the air-strike on (it kept climbing the ramp and killing me) and the Headcrab Queen, which I died a few times. Other than that (not even the final boss Nihilanth) I rarely died if ever. I think some random falling off railways and getting squashed by debris were the only deaths, not even to Marines/aliens. I feel pretty proud of that.

Pretty tired out, though my head's still buzzing after finishing. Truly a ride.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-12-2011, 04:33 AM   #20
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Half-Life is good. HL2 WILL blow your socks off. If you gave HL a 8.5, you'll be giving HL2 an infinity. I played Half-Life and half of HL2(lol) and I can still say this.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #21
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

This thread gave me the urge to play some HL myself, so I dug out an old CD and gave it a try.

And woa, 16MB? I find that an impressive feat of engineering. I'd like to see a modern game come close to that!

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I played the game on my VM. It gave it some better resolution, too.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #23
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

So, this Black Mesa deal has been getting a lot of press on gaming sites. Since I own Half Life 2 and suck at it and always wanted to play HL1, I decided to give it a crack.

No surprise, I am shitty at it as well, but it's fun and a welcome update for those wanting to break into the series at the start/those wanting to play HL on modern software.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #24
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Unless something's seriously changed of late, Blake Mesa's been 'upcoming' as long as HL2:E3 has.

EDIT the first: Wait, it's actually available now? Shit the bed.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari
Spoiler: show

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Thanks for the heads up, Jeri. Black Mesa was on the same list as Duke Nukem Forever. You can kind of appreciate that from the copyright dates listed at the bottom. ("2004-2012" ) Like Dave, I had no idea this was out. I don't have space to install it right now, I'mma guessin'. (It says 8 gigs here and I'm not sure if that's 8 gigs for HL2 + the mod or if that's 8 gigs in addition to the however many gigs HL2 takes up.) But I may make a point of clearing up space just so I can install this and play it. A, I'd be interested to see how nice it looks (even if the graphics are still going to be lol 8 years old b/c it's the HL2 Source engine). And B, I'd like to be able to officially say I've beaten HL1, even if it is Black Mesa and not the original original.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games