UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 09-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Wii U launch details announced - US: Nov. 18 at $300/$350, EU Nov. 30, no price yet

Also - Bayonetta 2 is an exclusive, being published by Nintendo, and over 50 games are confirmed to be available for the system by March 2013. No set launch list aside from that. Speculating AC3, ME3, Arkham City, NSMBWU, Rayman Legends, Trine 2, Toki Tori 2, Madden 13, Black Ops 2 and ZombiiU are all probably launch games.

New feature, Nintendo TVii announced - watch movies and TV shows from carious internet sources, Live TV, or DVR at any time, leave comments on parts in a movie or TV show to essentially live blog with friends, and watch sports games technical plays and different perspectives on the U Pad as the plays happen on TV.

Basic version - 8GB, U Controller, HDMI cable, and AC adapter

DX Version - 32GB, Wii U Controller, HDMI cable, adapter, charging cradle, Nintendo Land

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In the paraphrased words of CheckPoint,
Reports say that the Wii U's graphics are on par with Sony's and Microsoft's consoles. Well, I should damn well hope so! Those other guys are already seven years old!!!
I sat out the PS3 and XBox 360 last generation in favor of getting a Wii. It didn't hurt me too too badly but I think I will probably sit the Wii U out this time around. Pretty much all of my must-have titles are handheld titles (Pokémon, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton) or are on both the handheld and the home console (2D Mario Bros., Mario Kart). Part of the reason I bought my Wii in 2007 was because I anticipated that Nintendo would bring Fatal Frame 4 to the United States. It's the best-selling Fatal Frame game in Japan to date (which says a lot considering how popular 2 was) but of course we all know how much Reggie hates Fatal Frame and so how that one turned out. ;p Another part of the reason I bought my Wii was that I hoped it would see a renaissance for point-and-click adventure games on home consoles with home console graphics. Well that didn't happen either: point-and-click stayed pretty much on the DS while avoiding the Wii altogether. A third reason I got my Wii was because I bought into the hype surrounding Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, and Super Smash Bros. But whereas I used to play DOA:U, Guilty Gear, and Street Fighter II on my XBox weekly, I ended up only playing Smash Bros. during holiday visits to my parents'. And while I enjoyed both Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess, the replay value (for me personally) just isn't there.

The other thing for me is, and maybe I'm becoming an old fart when I say this but, I don't feel like keeping up with the Joneses anymore in video games. I'm okay with staying current with my favorite handheld franchises but as for the home consoles, I think I would rather take 5-10 years off and enjoying replaying my currently-owned titles again rather than wasting spending money on the new titles the companies come up with. I'd liken it to saying, "I'm going to sit Michael Crichton's State of Fear and Micro out in favor of re-reading his Jurassic Park and The Andromeda Strain." Or I'd liken it to saying "I'm going to sit Steven Spielberg's War Horse and The Adventures of Tintin out in favor of revisiting Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park." To put it simply, I'd very much like to replay my old games, both the ones I've yet to ever replay (like Phoenix Wright) as well as the ones I've poured many hours into (like DOA:U or 2D Mario games). As much as the gaming companies try to convince me that I must have the next thing, there aren't too many compelling cases for me anymore where I must-must.

The other, other thing for me is that I kind of enjoy being one generation behind on games. It means I can circle back around and get things off of the used market in pretty darn good condition for dirt cheap. I enjoyed it with the PS2 (Shadow of the Colossus, FF12, Metal Gear Solid 1-3) and I plan to enjoy it again with either the XBox 360 or the PS3 market.

All of these are very personal reasons for not wanting to get a Wii U though. Honestly, I wish the console success, I'm not too bummed about what will be super-weak graphics come 2015, and I can envision myself eating crow in less than a year if Nintendo unveils that Tecmo-Koei have been developing Fatal Frame 5 for the Wii U (with the screen-controller functioning as the Camera Obscura) and they very much intend for it to be an international release. In fact, if I thought the Wii was made for Fatal Frame, I think the Wii U is ten times moreso made for it. Good God could they make the best, most immersive Fatal Frame game ever if they made it for the Wii U and took full advantage of players using the Wiimote as their body and the Wii U screen-controller as the Camera Obscura. So yeah. Look forward to me eating crow in like a year. But for now, I'm thinking about sitting out on the Wii U.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Kind of weird that Bayonetta 2 will be Wii exclusive seeing as how Bayonetta 1 wasn't even on the Wii...
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Shameless doublepost but I'd hate for this to get lost in the sea of my personal essay above. Oh ho, Loki posted while I wrote this up. Good. ^_^;

I was just reading that a second copy of the Wii U controller will run you approximately $170. That seems, uh, rather steep. Prohibitively steep, you might say. For $170 I can get a Nintendo DS Lite or DSi. For $250, I can get a PS Vita. I realize that purty touchscreens don't grow on trees but I'll repeat that this price seems prohibitively expensive. I can't imagine most casuals or even most poor and middle-class hardcore gamers buying an additional WiiUmote. Not for $170. Even for $100 you'd be choking them. Hell, I balked at the idea of paying $50 for a new Wiimote, I can't even imagine spending more than three times that cost to get a new WiiUmote. What happens when kids break 'em? What happens when customers want to exchange their WiiUmotes via Nintendo's Class-A customer service returns policy because of annoying dead pixels? This seems like a PR nightmare waiting to happen.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Yeah I gotta admit I am... less than hyped here. My go to solution for the past few generations has been "Nintendo console, Nintendo handheld, one other console". So I have a PS2, Gamecube and GBA, and a 360, Wii and DS. But I'm still holding onto my launch day original clunky DS and I'm really not sure I can be arsed with the Wii U. I'll probably get a 3DS eventually (read: when gen VI comes out and it's been around long enough to build up a decent games library), but with home consoles... meh. I'm definitely going to hold off until Sony and Microsoft release theirs, have a look at what exclusives everyone is toting, and see then.

As Talon said, Wii U remotes are going to be ridiculously expensive. Honestly they got it right with the Wii in managing to get the causal market, but they're kinda pricing themselves out of it (getting a second Wii U remote and the basic console costs more than getting a second 360 controller and the 20GB console did seven years ago - they're toting this as having comparable graphics and people will want a second remote because that's the market they're aiming for). They will not be able to compete with Microsoft and Sony in the more hardcore gamer market.

In Microsoft and Sony's offerings are too much more expensive than the last gen (and by the time they're released my laptop will be getting a bit elderly) I may consider switching to PC gaming entirely.

Last edited by Concept; 09-13-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Ever since Nintendo turned its back on good RPG/Strategy console games, I've realized I'll be sitting out on their new consoles. I still only have one Wii game (Fire Emblem), and this does not look appealing.

If I were to get a new console system, it would probably be a PS3. If I were to get a new video game system at all, it'd probably be a 3DS. Like Concept, PC gaming seems more and more to be the good thing to do. Especially if they ever figure out how to emulate 3DS games.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Underwhelming but I know for a fact that this will be in my possession at some point just to play Zelda and Smash Bros.

Goddamnit Nintendo.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Wii U Pro controllers will be 50 bucks

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/wi...iced-at-49-99/

But the touch screen thing wont even be for sale here for a while

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/wi...in-us-will-be/

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

To expensive, no games, but at least they have something resembling a real controller this time! I'm still waiting on the 3DS to come down to a reasonable price *and* have games over a year after it launched. So uh the new console? Not anytime soon if ever. After all I never did end up getting a Revolution!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Underwhelming but I know for a fact that this will be in my possession at some point just to play Zelda and Smash Bros.

Goddamnit Nintendo.
I'll probably be suckered into playing New Super Mario Bros. too. Also, the Rayman game that's coming out looks like it'll be interesting for my first time in that series. The inevitable Galaxy 3 will most likely be in my possession as well.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
To expensive, no games
I'm gonna have to call you out on this.

The PS3, which this is more powerful than, debuted at a $599 USD price. $299 for a more powerful system (granted the graphics aren't better yet) and a tablet controller... I mean, come on.

And as for the games, a whopping 50 games in 3 1/2 months is not at all shabby. That's incredibly decent. I could compare to the 3DS launch or perhaps worse, the PS3 launch, but let it sink in and I doubt I have to.

I'm not by any means a Nintendo fanboy, but I've seen the "pricey and no games" argument for this already from a lot or people and it looks a little nitpickey more than anything, as far as a brand new console goes.

My general reaction is still a feeling of being underwhelmed, for a few reasons: While I like the possibilities the new controller brings, I already made that mistake once with the Wii. I'm not sure if I'm ready to make it again. Yes, I enjoyed the Wii a little, but the motion controls just became less revolutionary/evolutionary and more of a horrible gimmick than anything, and I'm afraid that's all this controller will wind up being.

The other thing is, while the system will certainly have it's games, I will more than likely end up getting the ones spread across all consoles already for PC, as it's my main gaming platform. Sure, ME3 and AC3 are great for people who plan to make the new console their "main" console (I, like many, always will have a Nintendo console + at least one other system), but the only real games I will most likely be getting for it are going to be the Nintendo titles or ones that actually look fun with a touchscreen controller.

I have to admit, Bayonetta 2 is not something I saw coming. At all. And published by Nintendo! That surprised the shit out of me.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Lady Kuno

I'm pumped for Bayonetta 2 and Monster Hunter U.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

$300 is still too pricey for me, and most of the games that are debuting aren't really my cup of tea, but besides that... wow. You're right, Deoxys. This is a hell of a move by Nintendo.

Because there will be those people who go "serious games are coming to the Wii U now? why do I need a PS3/4?". If I was in a better financial situation, and was looking to get into more video gaming, I'd be all over this.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post

Because there will be those people who go "serious games are coming to the Wii U now? why do I need a PS3/4?".
Not to mention the fact that the system is using a newer graphics card according to devkit reports (I don't remember which one, but it's only about two years old, I think, which is actually great for a console, believe it or not), and this means that, while the launch games will look more or less like PS3 games, the quality will increase over time. Unless Microsoft and Sony can pump out something that will break balls, the Wii U could very well compete hand in hand once again with the other two coming systems. Sure, it will definitely be weaker due to it's earlier launch, but this gives Nintendo the upper hand in grabbing the "hardcore gamer" market.

The only thing I would have done differently if I was them was to have a. bundled a Pro-Controller into the deluxe box, and b. Swapped "Nintendo Land" with New Super Mario Bros. U

And Nintendo should follow suit of Sony and Microsoft, this time around, and have "big launch game bundles" with the Wii U (ex. Call of Duty bundle, generic FPS bundle, fighting game bundle, Big Nintendo game bundle, etc.).

Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #15
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Not to mention the fact that the system is using a newer graphics card according to devkit reports (I don't remember which one, but it's only about two years old, I think, which is actually great for a console, believe it or not), and this means that, while the launch games will look more or less like PS3 games, the quality will increase over time. Unless Microsoft and Sony can pump out something that will break balls, the Wii U could very well compete hand in hand once again with the other two coming systems. Sure, it will definitely be weaker due to it's earlier launch, but this gives Nintendo the upper hand in grabbing the "hardcore gamer" market.
Problem being, devs actually have to support the Wii U long enough for that threshold to be crossed. Even with a year head start, given Nintendo's always schizophrenic relationship with third parties there's no guarantee it will happen: I mean, fuck, the best Nintendo could give us at E3 was a bunch of year-old ports and an Ubisoft game that's entire sizzle reel was basically one continuous bullshot. There's also the question of how much processing time the controller screen is going to consume (which sounds ridiculous until you think about how many 360/PS3 games struggle to do even actual 720p resolution).

A lot of it is also going to come down to hall ballsy Sony and MS feel with their specs (which will in turn determine Nintendo's chances of being, at the worst, a "me too" port dump). I would think Sony would be gun shy about trying to make a $1k wonderbox, but, well, these are the same people who gave us the Vita (yet another high-tech Sony gizmo that pays little heed to the strange concept that many people buy hardware for software). Who knows about MS.

It also comes down to what mentality prevails in the system spec wars for next gen: people who have realized that the cost of AAA games have rapidly spiraled way out of control relative to their customer base or major publishers who leverage those absurd game budgets (EA, Ubi, Activision) as their advantage over their competitors. Of course, then we add on top of that the death of the B-tier/AA console game and the era of digital distribution so there's no guarantee that people are going to turn to Nintendo for their small budget game compared to, say, the iPad or PC digital distribution, so theoretically lower development costs compared to its competitors still may not be enough to get 3rd parties on board.

...the console market is in a weird fucking place right now.

Last edited by Blastoise; 09-13-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
The PS3, which this is more powerful than, debuted at a $599 USD price. $299 for a more powerful system (granted the graphics aren't better yet) and a tablet controller... I mean, come on.
Come on what o.o? The only thing driving up the cost of this system is the dumb unproven controller. Looking across 2 screens works on the DS cause those screen are right next to each other in your hand and are evenly sized. Here you gotta look away from the action across the room to input needless commands on a much smaller screen because inovaseion! And after 7~8 years the graphics darn well should be better lol.

Quote:
And as for the games, a whopping 50 games in 3 1/2 months is not at all shabby. That's incredibly decent. I could compare to the 3DS launch or perhaps worse, the PS3 launch, but let it sink in and I doubt I have to.
Ya could quadruple that list and it'd still be a crap one to me. The only game I want on there is Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed which I'm already getting for my PS3 @_@! I already mentioned how I'm still waiting for even 1 3DS game I'd like to come out and ya don't gotta remind me of the nightmare that still is the PS3 library cause I'm living it!

Quote:
I'm not by any means a Nintendo fanboy, but I've seen the "pricey and no games" argument for this already from a lot or people and it looks a little nitpickey more than anything, as far as a brand new console goes.
I'm not nitpicking! $60 games is a big nono for me as its been always. Luckily this gens been one of quick deep price cuts so thats something. The console won't play dvd/blurays and has a pitiful amount of memory no matter which bundle ya go with. What kind of audio files will it play beyond Nintendos beloved AAC? Will ya be able to play video files from it at all? Can you use pics as wallpaper over the main menu background?? If the price is gonna be high then believe me the non-gaming features matter! I paid $500 for a PS3 and if wasn't for all that stuff I'd be even less satisfied with the thing then I am now. Cause seriously, just 17 current gen games after 5 years is just sad! But at least I gots other reasons to turn the thing on! At least they stuck BC in there... for now >_>

Edit: Is it region free? Probably not huh? That's another negative!

Last edited by Lindz; 09-14-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Also - Bayonetta 2 is an exclusive, being published by Nintendo
WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?! HOW DID I NOT HEAR ABOUT THIS?!

I'm...tempted to say "shut up and take my money" at this point. And I don't exactly need a second touchscreen-controller - so I just might be spared from having to spend the extra money on one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Kind of weird that Bayonetta 2 will be Wii exclusive seeing as how Bayonetta 1 wasn't even on the Wii...
This is indeed strange as hell. But Fatal Frame made the hop from PS2/Xbox to the Wii pretty smoothly as far as I can tell. Maybe Bayonetta-fans like yours truly can actually have high hopes in store for the sequel?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:10 AM   #18
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?! HOW DID I NOT HEAR ABOUT THIS?!

I'm...tempted to say "shut up and take my money" at this point. And I don't exactly need a second touchscreen-controller - so I just might be spared from having to spend the extra money on one?
It's because there was 0% chance of it being released on the PS3/Xbox. Nintendo came along and said we'll do it and that's where we are now. So many people are butthurt (not here, but just in general) that it won't be on the other two systems, but they don't realize it would have been either a) come out on Nintendo or b) not come out at all.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #19
Loki

This is likely the aftermath of SEGA's reshuffling. Either they dropped the rights to Bayonetta or just ended the collaboration with Platinum Games and so Nintendo swooped in.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
Lady Kuno

They flat out canceled the sequel. It wasn't going to be made until Nintendo picked it up.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #21
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://trendygamers.com/2012/09/17/2...18th-nintendo/

22 Wii U Launch Games announced -

List of titles releasing on November 18th:

Assassin’s Creed 3
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Darksiders 2
Epic Mickey 2: The Power Of Two
ESPN: Sports Connection
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
Madden NFL 13
Marvel Avengers: Battle For Earth
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
NBA 2K13
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Rabbids Land
Rayman Legends
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Transformers Prime
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU

Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Assassin’s Creed 3
Darksiders 2
ESPN: Sports Connection
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
Madden NFL 13
NBA 2K13
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Rabbids Land
Rayman Legends
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Transformers Prime
ZombiU
To hear the gaming media describe the Wii U launch lineup it's an all-you-can-eat buffet for the casuals with few offerings for "we the hardcore." But looking at your list quoted above, I feel like it's the total opposite. Here's my breakdown:

For hardcores only:
Assassin’s Creed 3
Darksiders 2

Appeals to hardcores but could also appeal to casuals:
Madden NFL 13
NBA 2K13
New Super Mario Bros. U
Rayman Legends
Scribblenauts Unlimited (though it's a belle of certain hardcore gamers' balls)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
ZombiU

For casuals only:
ESPN: Sports Connection (??? not sure about this one)
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
Nintendo Land
Rabbids Land (??? never even heard of it)
Transformers Prime

So like, yeah: if you want to say "which games only appeal to hardcore gamers," then sure the list might seem kinda small; but if you use your brain and say, "Well, the same people they hope will buy Epic Mickey 2 are the same hardcore gamers who soiled themselves with delight when they first saw trailers for Epic Mickey," or if you use your brain and say "Yes, Rayman started off as a platformer for casuals that no hardcore gamers took seriously ... but that was back in the late 1990s. It's now 2012 and those same casual gamers who grew up playing Rayman ... are now adult hardcore gamers who have fond nostalgic memories of Rayman. This game is as much for them as it is for the present-day little tyke casuals," then like, it's no contest: there as many games on that list which appeal to hardcore gamers as there are which appeal to casuals. You have to look to the third list to find those titles which would only appeal to casuals. (Scribblenauts is a strange exception but I'm keeping it on that bottom list because we all know it embodies the same casual spirit as the brain training games of Nintendo's on the DS.) Actually, you know what? Fuck it: I'll move it to the second category too. Now the third list truly represents a list of shovelware casual titles which ONLY casuals would want to buy.

Lindz: B-but ... Sonic ... ;_;
Talon: ^^; , sorry Lindsay. I like Sonic too but that Sonic racing game is totally for the casuals.
Lindz: And for hardcore Sonic fangirls like me! ;_;
Talon: ^^; ... I'm sorry Lindsay, but it stays.
Lindz: Noooo ... ;_;
Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
Loki

Why anyone would buy Mass Effect 3 without access to 1 or 2 is beyond me! "Get the chance to experience the game which ends the trilogy! It's not like all those choices in 1 & 2 mattered anyway!" I have a bad feeling that some kind of Mass Effect Genesis style DLC will end up being released.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #24
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Why anyone would buy Mass Effect 3 without access to 1 or 2 is beyond me! "Get the chance to experience the game which ends the trilogy! It's not like all those choices in 1 & 2 mattered anyway!" I have a bad feeling that some kind of Mass Effect Genesis style DLC will end up being released.
I've only played through Mass Effects 2 and 3, but even though 2 can be played without having played 1 but the plot still stays understandable this is not the case between 2 and 3.

Some would probable say the same about the Assassin's Creed games - but I'm personally going to get the Xbox-version of AC3 because it's available on the Xbox 360 before Wii U and my OCD-ish tendencies couldn't handle having the previous games on Xbox and then the new one on Wii U.

Completely different topic: will Wii U be compatible with Wii-games and how much difference is there going to be in loading speeds if you install Wii U games (as I assume is the idea, with the different memory sizes and all).

Also, the price in Finland for the Wii U is, according to a mail I received today, 329 euros (~428 dollars) for the white version with 8GB memory. Black version, 32GB, is priced 379 euros (~493$). There's also a mention that they're bringing in a limited supply so pre-ordering is your safest bet if you want one for yourself.

Okay, is there some reason they're making different memory capabilities for different colored consoles? Or will we be seeing "buy separate hardware for more memory!" like we did with Xbox 360?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #25
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
UK prices; Ł249 (~$400) for the basic version, Ł299 (~$485) for the better version.

For the US, Amazon.com is listing the basic version at $489 dollars, and it's listing the 32GB version at $600. Which um, seems ridiculous.

Last edited by Concept; 09-24-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games