UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction

Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
'Leet Geet's Literary Gabblings

Everyone else is doing it?

Here I am, with my current, and only, work being an ongoing, yet unnamed Percy Jackson fanfic. In the hopes of riveting the reader's imagination, I have given it the current, temporary, cunning epithet of "Rangeet's fanfic." Be warned that, just like its author, it is susceptible to be full of a whole lot of garbage.

The Percy Jackson series is, to be frank, perhaps a little on the light side. But it's a great series, especially if you're interested in Greek Mythology. As for my fanfic, be warned that it includes gratuitous swearing, violence, multiple drug references, and mucho unarmed combat(Why? Because I can.) So, not unlike your average day in the PASBL Time Out. I have been assured by an- albeit unreliable source- that my works far outshine recent bestsellers such as Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey. Despite this, I would advise taking various precautions while reading it, including but not limited to keeping a shotgun against your head at all times.

But enough dilly-dallying! At the time of writing, with over 30 thousand painful words, and hopefully, more to come...here you go, in true Google Docs form, the hitherto undeserved punishment of the UPNers that unownmew was probably talking about:

WARNING THIS IS PROBABLY ACTUALLY PG15, BUT I DUNNO LOL

Is it foreshadowing when your fanfic starts out with an Adolf Hitler quote? I'm not quite sure.

To the dismay of the average UPNer, who will likely have to double up on their stock of memory-busting pills, I will update this thread every time I finish a chapter.

OK, serious mode now. If, and once, I finish this, I have just the worm of an idea of an actual book in my head. But I would really appreciate criticism. I know my biggest weakness- my inability to describe well- and I have embraced it, and tried to show off what I think is one of my strengths- that I write fairly good dialogue. My writing style is based on and inspired a lot by Lee Child, since it is pretty much pulp. If anyone has read the Percy Jackson series and feels up to reading my fic, I'd be really grateful. Thanks.

Currently working on a Harry Potter fanfiction. Check this post.

Last edited by Rangeet; 06-03-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Rangeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
So I've not read any of the Percy Jackson series but do have a fairly solid knowledge of greek mythology. How much am I going to struggle to understand what's going on when I start reading this?
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
So I've not read any of the Percy Jackson series but do have a fairly solid knowledge of greek mythology. How much am I going to struggle to understand what's going on when I start reading this?
Well see, Riordan did change a little around. You'll have a bit of trouble with the character of Percy and Annabeth, which I changed anyway(as it's a year since the last book I read). A lot of important plot elements are referenced, which WILL spoil the Percy Jackson series for you. I'd suggest reading it, as they're five, short(~200-300 page), fun to read books.

P.S There was never a movie released. Never.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Finished Chapter 6, "People."

Onto Chapter 7, "Beauty."
Old 06-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #5
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

So I abandoned the PJ fanfic ages ago. If you read it for more than ten seconds, it should be clear why. I love it, trust me, it's my baby, but I wrote it when I was 13 and it's riddled with problems.

My latest project is a very slice-of-lifey Harry Potter fanfic. It will examine the life of a student whose parents escaped to America when the second war vs Voldemort started. He's coming back to Hogwarts five years after Voldemort died (for realsies.) It will have mostly OCs except for most of the Hogwarts teachers. I'm writing this mostly to get a grasp on writing good characters and having a character-driven plot rather than a plot driven by characters.

If you didn't run away reading that last paragraph...well, I could really use a beta. I'm not aiming to write actual real-life level fiction, but I do want to get much closer than I have been. Some of my dialogue is clunky, some explanations that need to be there are missing, and even I make typos! Be warned: I am a slow, slow writer, and I'll consider myself lucky if I put out a (~2500 word) chapter a month. And that's before any theoretical beta editing. So.

It's tentatively named Another Perspective. Shit name, but I can't think of anything better just now. I have written about 5000 words so far and once I write about 10,000 I will think of publishing it on ff.net. If you want to beta, or just want to read it and review it...well, I'd really appreciate it!

(BTW, I reused character names from my PJ fic only because I'm shit at coming up with names. Trust me- these characters are not remotely as half-dimensional.)
Old 02-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Are you 12 years old? No? Mentally? Still no? Can you pretend to be for five minutes? Yes?

I've written a Harry Potter one-shot crackfic(that is to say, it's a piss-take) that is the funniest thing I've ever written and is only narrowly edged out by xkcd for meme density world record.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Rangeet; 02-12-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Rangeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:00 AM   #7
Sjackson3289

This is a decent post. This post gives really quality of information.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:09 AM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Most bots are either nonsense or ad spammers, so I think this is a genuine admirer of yours, Rangeet!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction