UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 11-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #51
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Donnelly has a very narrow lead over Mourdock right now, like a ~5,000 vote difference.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #52
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Confused about Indiana -- all the stories I found report Romney has won the state 60-38 but they also say that that's with only 1% of precincts reporting in. Umm, don't you think you might want to at least get 10, 15, 20% of the votes in before making any early assumptions? ^^; Like, sure we all think Romney will take Indiana, but do you seriously think it's prudent to call that when 99% of the votes still haven't been reported in? ^^;;;;;;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #53
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Confused about Indiana -- all the stories I found report Romney has won the state 60-38 but they also say that that's with only 1% of precincts reporting in. Umm, don't you think you might want to at least get 10, 15, 20% of the votes in before making any early assumptions? ^^; Like, sure we all think Romney will take Indiana, but do you seriously think it's prudent to call that when 99% of the votes still haven't been reported in? ^^;;;;;;
They've been doing this forever and it seems to be right almost every time (with a notable exception being Gore in Florida lolol).

Mourdock seems to have closed the gap.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #54
deoxys
Fog Badge

I thought they based it off of exit polling as well though?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #55
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
EC votes- 33 for Romney, 3 for Obama according to CNN.

I dislike the electoral college system.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #56
deoxys
Fog Badge

My friend is a staunch Romney supporter and tells me that I'm an idiot for basing my judgments of him based on what he says and not on how he acted as a governor. Apparently he "had to flip flop" to appeal to the Republicans as he was a moderate and he will rule as one, and so I'm dumb for basing him off of what he said in his campaign, not on how he acted as governor.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #57
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
My friend is a staunch Romney supporter and tells me that I'm an idiot for basing my judgments of him based on what he says and not on how he acted as a governor. Apparently he "had to flip flop" to appeal to the Republicans as he was a moderate and he will rule as one, and so I'm dumb for basing him off of what he said in his campaign, not on how he acted as governor.
Did he tell you about the Massachusetts school system?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #58
tau
Cascade Badge

CNN EC count update: Obama - 78 / Romney -71
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #59
deoxys
Fog Badge

Google is reporting a massive 0.9% for Gary Johnson in Kentucky with 6,523 votes so far! Yay! -_-
Old 11-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #60
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Fun trivia fact: there are 284,819 SPPf accounts. If you assume that even as few as 10% of those were made by human beings, that still puts SPPf's summative human population at a figure four times greater than all the people who voted for Gary Johnson in the state of Kentucky.

Congrats, Deo: you are rarer politically than a Serebii account holder is rare Internet-wise.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #61
deoxys
Fog Badge

I... what
Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #62
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
EC votes- 33 for Romney, 3 for Obama according to CNN.

I dislike the electoral college system.
So, can we have a discussion about the issues with the Electoral College that aren't rooted in "someone I don't like could possibly win, this is unfair"?

Not that I think highly of Romney, but ATM the only states we have sure results on are the states we pretty much knew were going one way or the other sight unseen so why worry about the returns at this moment?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #63
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
So, can we have a discussion about the issues with the Electoral College that aren't rooted in "someone I don't like could possibly win, this is unfair"?

Not that I think highly of Romney, but ATM the only states we have sure results on are the states we pretty much knew were going one way or the other sight unseen so why worry about the returns at this moment?
It has nothing to do with the projected winner, honestly. Maybe I'm undereducated in the facts on the issue, but I think the electoral college system in general is outdated and unnecessary. Maybe it's asking too much of collective American intelligence to ask for the popular vote to be the sole deciding factor (I hope not,) but I feel as though it would be a better system.

If Obama wins and gets his second term, I will still be slightly upset with the EC system.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

YouTube/Google is reporting:
  • Electoral College current results: Obama 64, Romney 67
  • Popular vote current results: Obama 47.2%, Romney 51.7%
The takeaway from this being that even though the EC votes are essentially equal (Obama 48.9%, Romney 51.1%), Obama is losing more popular voters than Romney, the gap in the popular vote between them currently being 4.5% (which is significant).

If Obama should win tonight, it's looking very possible for a split popular/electoral vote. And man oh man would that make for a popcorn_jackson.gif Christmas.

As for some specific states ...
Ohio: Obama currently leading 57.3% to Romney 41.0% w/ 2% of precincts reported in
Virginia: Romney currently leading 54.0% to Obama 43.8% w/ 57% of precincts reported in
Florida: Obama currently leading 50.4% to Romney 48.0% w/ 39% of precincts reported in

Could be a nail-biter if Obama wins Ohio while Romney wins Florida and Virginia.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #65
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I should probably confess that I'm not voting in this election, since I herped the derp and forgot to send in my absentee ballot in time. Since I live in California though, I console myself that that's not much of a loss in terms of the presidential election, and am mostly miffed that I won't get to have my utterly irrelevant say on inane bullshit like the oh noes teh frankenfoodz proposition.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #66
tau
Cascade Badge

Something that strikes me as funny: Fox news has helpfully color-coded all the states that are expected to vote Romney red, and the Obama-states blue...

...except that only the red ones are colored. Oh, Fox News, you so crazy.

Spoiler: show
They did have O'Reilly on. I couldn't watch that bit, that man literally makes me angry. I can not stand a single word out of his mouth.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #67
deoxys
Fog Badge

All I could think of when I heard Independent candidate Angus King is the name of the projected winner of the Maine senate seat:

Old 11-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #68
phoopes
Double Dragon

Deo: You beat me to it. I was thinking the exact same thing, haha.

Anyway, I hope the results of Florida come in soon so I can just stop hearing about the political race from the retarded, uneducated people that I call friends. Saw that if Obama won Florida and one other "battleground state" he'd win the election because of his states that are obvious wins, like California. (CBS, if anyone's curious, reported that) Since he's won PA (woohoo!) and NJ, looks like if he can take Florida, Obama won't need Ohio to win the election. Doesn't look good for him, though, if Romney wins it.

Even though I really don't like either candidate, Romney pisses me off more, so I'm hoping that Obama can get a second term.

EDIT: It appears that I've gotten my battleground states incorrect. Oops. Well, the point still stands because Obama just won NH.

Last edited by phoopes; 11-06-2012 at 09:34 PM.
phoopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #69
tau
Cascade Badge

So am I seeing this correctly, Obama has a slight edge in Ohio?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #70
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
So am I seeing this correctly, Obama has a slight edge in Ohio?
That's what I saw, and a slight edge in Florida as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #71
Charminions
Your reality is mine

Google says Obama has an edge on Ohio and Romney has an edge on Florida.

Edit: Nevermind, Obama has an edge on Florida again.

Last edited by Charminions; 11-06-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Charminions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #72
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Is this a good place to mention that apparently Massachusetts legalised medical weed?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #73
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
Is this a good place to mention that apparently Massachusetts legalised medical weed?
It's legal* in California too.

Spoiler: show
Legal until the Fed decides it's going to enforce federal law today and they decide to make an example out of you
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #74
Talon87
時の彼方へ

NPR reports 66% of Nevadan voters voted early this year, of which the score was a lead by 50,000 votes for the Democrats.

Not quite the same figures but Iowa has a similar story with tens of thousands more Democrats than Republicans for early voting.

Joe the Plumber's congressional bid failed.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #75
deoxys
Fog Badge

Yeah, a state can legalize marijuana, but the federal law still makes it illegal, which means that even though it would be legal in your state, the DEA can still come after you and fuck you up. Isn't that stupid?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc