UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out

Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Mew The Great FB Get-Together(s) 2014!

Soooo, since our FB get-together for Anime Boston was a success, with high demand, I officially announce that we will do it again for next year! Woo! \o/

However, things are not quite sure on where (and of course exactly when) it will be held, as some couldn't come to the first get-together because of the location (although the biggest problem was the time and/or money, so hopefully now it'll be set up more in advance it'll be easier to folks to save up and/or plan around it.) Hey, we could even do multiple get-togethers if needed/wanted! Different options have been presented to me already, so here's the list of them (that I remember) so far:
  • Boston, Massachusetts, USA (Anime Boston)
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Otakuthon)
  • Orlando, Florida, USA (Disney World)
  • Somewhere in Europe (England?), ([insert convention or big thing to visit here])
  • San Diego, California, USA (Comic-Con)
So please discuss about your preferences and/or other places you would like the next get-together to be held, and we'll see it from there! ^^ Like I said earlier it's only extra-early planning, so it'll be even better than the one we had this year \o/

Current FB Get-Togethers Planned - Info

Orlando, Florida, USA - Disney World
When: May 11th to May 17th
Who:
- OkikuMew
- Okiku's friend
- DaisyInari (one day only)
- Marion Ette (unconfirmed)
- lilbluecorsola (unconfirmed)
- DaveTheFishGuy (uncomfirmed)
- CyberBlastoise (unconfirmed, one day only)

Boston, Massachusetts, USA - Anime Boston
When: March 21st to March 23rd
Who:
- lilbluecorsola
- Marion Ette
- Morg (unconfirmed)

Now all this have said and done... I would like to promote/nominate Montreal as the location of the FB Get-Together :P ^^ If it is decided it'll be done there, I, OkikuMew, "Québécoise", will be the one planning and guiding you guys through it! ^^ Here's what will be probably be planned to do for a week:Note that we won't attend everything that's on the list, I only put suggestions of what we could check out, and if things gets more settled we'll organize what we'll precisely visit to fit everyone's schedule and personal taste. If any of you guys have any kind of questions whatsoever about Quebec or Montreal, don't be afraid to ask me! ^^ ...Of course I'm only suggesting Montreal here, the get-together doesn't have to be there ^^; I simply wanted to give as much info as possible to give an idea how a FB meeting there could be like ^^

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr

Last edited by OkikuMew; 04-23-2014 at 01:53 PM.
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Orlando

Orlando

Orlando

I nominate Orlando! If that is the choice though, please be there when I'm still at UCF so I'll actually have a chance to see you guys xd;

Darn Otakuthon for taking place when school starts for me :< I want to go to Canada!

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Just to note: Regardless of whether/where we host another meet-up, I will likely be going to Animé Boston again next year (unless it interferes with my finals). I expect Morg will probably do the same. So anyone who wishes to come to that is still more than welcome to meet us there. \o/

We also recently learned that Boston will be hosting an annual Japan Festival from now on, and the next date is already scheduled for May 19, 2014. We unfortunately found out about it too late this year, but I would love to try and attend the next one. If anyone would like to join me that'd be great. <3 Admission was apparently free, and I assume/hope it will remain so. My school usually lets out by May so there's a much higher chance that I will be available around then as well.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post
Orlando

Orlando

Orlando

I nominate Orlando! If that is the choice though, please be there when I'm still at UCF so I'll actually have a chance to see you guys xd;

Darn Otakuthon for taking place when school starts for me :< I want to go to Canada!
XP Well speaking of Orlando/Disney World, there's a chance I'm going there anyways with a friend next year, hence why it's on the list XP But things are very up in the air right now concerning the dates and if my friend and I will go there at all (it depends on my friend's budget, being extremely limited).

As for Otakuthon, I dunno when exactly when you start going back to school (and when exactly Otakuthon starts for next year), there's a slight chance that it starts at early August, as I think it happened once. you could always arrive the week before Otakuthon so the con will be the big finish of your trip ^^

Anti double-post edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Just to note: Regardless of whether/where we host another meet-up, I will likely be going to Animé Boston again next year (unless it interferes with my finals). I expect Morg will probably do the same. So anyone who wishes to come to that is still more than welcome to meet us there. \o/

We also recently learned that Boston will be hosting an annual Japan Festival from now on, and the next date is already scheduled for May 19, 2014. We unfortunately found out about it too late this year, but I would love to try and attend the next one. If anyone would like to join me that'd be great. <3 Admission was apparently free, and I assume/hope it will remain so. My school usually lets out by May so there's a much higher chance that I will be available around then as well.
Which reminds me, although it'll surprise me anyone will go that far for it without a FB meet-up, it's the same for me with Montreal's Otakuthon, as I go to it every year anyways X) ^^

And also, if we ever decide to have our FB get-together again in Boston, I'll definitely plan my week-off/visit around it so I could go to the japan festival too~

Last edited by OkikuMew; 06-13-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Pardon me for the double-posting, but it is month past my last post here, and I do have an update of things on my side~

So it seems my friend and I will officially go to Disney World sometime next year \o/ Very likely in May or June since that's what we did the other year we went to it, and there's slightly less people around that time of the summer. However the exact date is not set in stone yet (other than it'll be in summer-ish), but at least we know now that if you guys want me to be part of next year's FB Get-Together, it'll be in Orlando at Disney world ^^

Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Montreal = Poutine though. :Q__
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

There's also Comic-Con in San Diego, which Hon might be coming to because BIRD SHOWS, amirite? ;O

...We're getting further and further from coming to a consensus, aren't we? XD
Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
Montreal = Poutine though. :Q__
XD Well we can always do two get-togethers, I wouldn't mind at all since I go to Otakuthon every year anyways! XP And it'll be a choice for whatever's easier for people to go to ^^ Some could maybe even organize a third one for European folks too! X) ^^

Edit:
Quote:
There's also Comic-Con in San Diego, which Hon might be coming to because BIRD SHOWS, amirite? ;O

...We're getting further and further from coming to a consensus, aren't we? XD
Well we're still organizing things quite in advance, so it's not too bad if there's so many suggestions and stuff ^^;

Anyhow, I can still add San Diego to the list of choices

Old 07-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

While the point of a get-together is to try and reach a consensus and have as many people get together as possible, you guys do realize that even the original "Great FB Get-Together" was more of a "Massachusetts FBers & Okiku Too!" affair, right? ^^; I mean, it ended up being Yuki (MA), Morg (MA), Marion Ette (formerly MA), her boyfriend (MA), Okiku (Canada) ... and I feel like I'm forgetting someone but hmm. In addition to these, you had two guest visitors from neighboring New York in the form of Loki and Kuno, but one hasn't been an active FBer in a long time and the other in an even longer time, so they were more coming I think just to hang out and meet UPNers than to hang out as FBers. My point is, even your 2013 get-together wasn't exactly representative of all of FB, nor could it be since FB covers multiple nations spanning the globe. We've got the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Panama, Finland, Ireland, the list goes on. You're probably never going to be able to get more than 10% of all FBers in one of these get-togethers simply due to the limitations 99% of us have with international travel for an event like this. Soooooooooooo ... given thaaaaaaaat ... don't worry! ^_^ Rather than stressing about all agreeing upon a singular meeting place that can represent the quote unquote "Great FB Get-Together 2014", why don't you guys instead aim for regional goals and perhaps drop the "Great" from the title? "FB Orlando" or "FB Orlando 2014". "FB San Diego" or "FB San Diego 2014". "FB London" or "FB London 2014". "FB Sydney" or "FB Sydney 2014". So on and so forth.

I mean, really, when Daisy visited the Philippines recently and met up with uhhhhh and Pengyzu, wasn't that just as much an FB Get-Together as your guys' Boston meet up? I mean, so long as the number is greater than two, I think most people would be willing and able to perceive it as an FB get-together. And so long as the biggest gathering's number isn't eclipsing 20% of all FBers by headcount, I dunno if you can really justify calling it the "Great" Get-Together in the first place. ^^;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I live in CT, so somewhere close would be nice, like Boston or NY.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

The "great" part is really just a fun part of the title mostly ^^;

Also, the thread is used to discuss and help with any fb-ish related get-togethers that can be planned for next year. After all, ain't that what happened for this year, as there was one for the new year and another for AB? ^^; And as you mentioned (kinda), we noticed a lot of peeps wanting to join the get-togethers but couldn't as most people are limited by how far they'll go from home, so the idea of having multiple ones was a high possibility. Of course, I understand it's not possible to bring absolutely *everyone* from FB to one single place, even if we organize multiple ones semi-closer to everyone! ^^; It ain't perfect, but at least we get as much people get, well, together, more or less ^^ Besides, it's all fun ^^

But you still bring up a good point: the first post have no mention of the possibility of multiple get-togethers ^^; Will correct that

Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I mean, really, when Daisy visited the Philippines recently and met up with uhhhhh and Pengyzu, wasn't that just as much an FB Get-Together as your guys' Boston meet up? I mean, so long as the number is greater than two, I think most people would be willing and able to perceive it as an FB get-together. And so long as the biggest gathering's number isn't eclipsing 20% of all FBers by headcount, I dunno if you can really justify calling it the "Great" Get-Together in the first place. ^^;
I had actually expected Hon to post her Phillipines pics in the Get-Together Thread, so I was surprised/a little sad when she opted for the general FB Picture Thread. *shrug* Come to think of it, I suppose my San Diego pics should've gone there instead. Oh, well. I guess in a way that'd be false advertising. XP

Anyway, the point is that after the "success" of the initial meeting, I had sorta assumed it would become the catch-all Get-Together thread, and planned to either ask Loki to change the year again or just remove it entirely. ^^; Did not really anticipate people wanting to make their own new individual threads. Not that I mind, but it might become bothersome if the TO gets cluttered with them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
I live in CT, so somewhere close would be nice, like Boston or NY.
Again, you're always welcome to come to Animé Boston. I'm almost assured to be there, assuming my exam schedule allows it.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 07-25-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #13
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I'm seriously tempted to go to Florida next year if there's going to be a meet-up, especially since I'll finally be old enough to rent a car in the States. Just a question of cash, really.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
I'm seriously tempted to go to Florida next year if there's going to be a meet-up, especially since I'll finally be old enough to rent a car in the States. Just a question of cash, really.
Ooo, more support for Florida~! Well if it keeps going, with that many people able to go to Disney World, we will have a meetup there X) ^^

(I just hope I don't end up being voiceless from translating back and forth for my French-speaking friend coming with me, like the other year... She got to dam learn to build up her courage to talk English (I KNOW she can, she just stubbornly doesn't want to) instead of letting me do all the talking for her! ^^; )

Old 07-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Quote:

I had actually expected Hon to post her Phillipines pics in the Get-Together Thread, so I was surprised/a little sad when she opted for the general FB Picture Thread. *shrug* Come to think of it, I suppose my San Diego pics should've gone there instead. Oh, well. I guess in a way that'd be false advertising. XP

I felt like the Get-Together thread was more for planning and it was mostly for all the FB'ers rather than just me visiting the Philippines and begging forcing asking Pingu and Uhhhhh to visit me so I wasn't sure if it was okay if I posted something there xd;

Maybe I'm just weird! But speaking of that visit, I'm still waiting for Pingu and Uhhhhh to post their pictures ^^;

Also I'm still in full support of any Florida/Orlando meetups \o/

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

>Okiku

Aww, people thinking that they're French. How strange disturbing cute. [/English]

Also, since I saw the option in the OP, if anyone felt like coming over to Britain I'd be up for that as well. Met up with Kush just last week while I was in London, so yeah, I'd be up for that should people feel like coming here.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
>Okiku

Aww, people thinking that they're French. How strange disturbing cute. [/English]

Also, since I saw the option in the OP, if anyone felt like coming over to Britain I'd be up for that as well. Met up with Kush just last week while I was in London, so yeah, I'd be up for that should people feel like coming here.
Well my friend and I are not French of France French, but I am 7/8 French descent (1/8 English from my mother's side) and I went to a French schools/college, and same goes to my friend but she's full-fledged French descent; not to mention Quebec province is about 80% francophone, so... yeah, not thinking/pretending :P No offence taken though ^^ I just find it silly how my friend who can speak (more or less) English doesn't want to speak English at all instead of, you know, not making me her talking bilingual slave and practice her own English? :/

Anyhow, if there's a FB get-together in Britain though, I won't be able to attend since I'll be burning my travelling budget with just going to Florida ^^; Maybe some other time though! ^^ And feel free to do your organizing here, it<s all what the thread's about

Old 07-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Why is everyone in NA closer to the east coast.

Why, I ask you.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
I just find it silly how my friend who can speak (more or less) English doesn't want to speak English at all instead of, you know, not making me her talking bilingual slave and practice her own English? :/
It could be that you're a Completely Unnecessary Translator and she's just using you to appear above everything for when she eventually takes over the world.

Though I still think there's a special circle of hell reserved for people who won't speak a language even though they can. Most of the locals near my Uni in North Wales are like that. Soon as you walk into the pub everyone suddenly switches to speaking Welsh. Also I get that French is popular in Quebec but because I'm British I am automatically predisposed toward hating anything French :p

Al Murray puts it best
Old 07-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
Mercutio
Banned

Also learning French anywhere other than Quebec in no way readies you for speaking French in Quebec. So it's doubly a detestable thing for us, wot wot.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
Quote:

Though I still think there's a special circle of hell reserved for people who won't speak a language even though they can. Most of the locals near my Uni in North Wales are like that. Soon as you walk into the pub everyone suddenly switches to speaking Welsh. Also I get that French is popular in Quebec but because I'm British I am automatically predisposed toward hating anything French :p

Al Murray puts it best
"Raises hand eagerly* Ooh ooh, I know! I know!
Circle 8; Deceit. Ring 9; Sins of Division. (Best bet, though I guess Purgatory would be a better place since it sounds more like Pride.) At least she gets to meet Mohammed, prophet of the Muslims (as racist as that might sound)

Anyway, aren't we getting slightly off-topic in this thread?

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Isn't Purgatory the in-between place where people who aren't quite good enough go to serve a jail term of sorts to repent for their (minor) sins?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #23
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:

It could be that you're a Completely Unnecessary Translator and she's just using you to appear above everything for when she eventually takes over the world.

Al Murray puts it best
Hey I still got my 8th of pure English blood, I can't be all that bad! XP

Nah, I think she's just shy and embarassed of her bad English, so she doesn't want to show it unless nessessary. (I got sick at some point so I was stranded in my hotel room and she had to order what I wanted to eat, and at another point when we were seperated she got lost and asked for direction.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Also learning French anywhere other than Quebec in no way readies you for speaking French in Quebec. So it's doubly a detestable thing for us, wot wot.
Not nessessary. If you learned international French and you stay away from rural towns (where they use more dialecs and don't speak English at all), you'll do just fine. Heck, I Montreal you can live for years there just speaking English! X) But yes, it is true that Quebec French can be quite different to international French and even moreso France French, especially in rural places or just depending on the person. Personally I tend to speak it in Quebec slang/dialec with some English thrown in, but if I know I won't be understood that way I'll switch to something closer to international French... or English if that's the person's first language :P

Anyhow, to try to get back to the main subject to the thread, this is one reason why I suggested to stick with Montreal for a probable FB get-together: a lot less problems of speaking English there than anywhere else in Quebec ^^;

Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
Anyhow, to try to get back to the main subject to the thread, this is one reason why I suggested to stick with Montreal for a probable FB get-together: a lot less problems of speaking English there than anywhere else in Quebec ^^;
In reality, she's worried about the Québécois version of this or this happening to one of us Anglophone Kramers.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
In reality, she's worried about the Québécois version of this or this happening to one of us Anglophone Kramers.
Damn nationalistes extremists XD

Nah, just making things as conveniant as possible and not to confuse first-time visitors too much with a new language ^^ Not to mention Montreal is where one of the two International airports is at, and where most entertainment (including Otakuthon) is held :P

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out