UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 04-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #226
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I'm surprised, Talon.

Spoiler: show
You didn't discuss Joseph's affair at all.

This was pretty devastating to me and the #1 reason I never gave Part IV a chance. Joseph was my favourite of the Jojo characters and I was very upset Araki, pretty much done with Joseph's story, exhumed him just so his sperm could serve as a plot device for Part IV. Joseph was not the kind of guy to have an affair, and not with a Japanese woman, Araki had to twist him so that Jotarou could have someone similar in age to himself to hang around with in Part IV.

Because this was the only reason he didn't stay dead in Part III! He had the marvelous soul send-off and everything and that was changed so he could live with the shame of cheating in Part IV. It's a terrible fate.

You'll like the plot sticking to Morioh, I think. It's a different take but one that is explored very well.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #227
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I didn't discuss it because my post was more 02-focused and you guys didn't get to hear much about my thoughts on 01. But since you bring it up ...

I was spoiled by a friend days before seeing Episode 01. I couldn't believe it and vocally expressed my shock and dismay, repeatedly, to my friend. He didn't understand the significance, having not seen past Phantom Blood yet, but I was quite surprised and dismayed to hear that Joseph cheated on Suzie Q.

There had to have been better ways of giving Jōtarō a same-age counterpart with Joestar blood. Admittedly Araki wrote himself into a corner there by making Lisa Lisa the only possible child of Jonathon's, declaring Joseph was the only child of Lisa Lisa's by the time we met her, declaring that Holly was Joseph and Suzie Q's only child, etc. Lots of only children, makes it difficult if not impossible to introduce cousins or siblings. Still, though. That's no excuse to make Joseph out to be an adulterous lecher.

Joseph is still to date my favorite Joestar. But man if the moment's adultery doesn't tarnish his star.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:03 PM   #228
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

There's a pattern to Parts IV, V, and VI that I won't mention here. But on the whole, these are "grittier" arcs than the first three parts. A good analogy, I feel, is the arc of the sun. Parts I-III are sunrise, with Part III at the apex, and Part IV-VI are sunset.

Given this, you can see how Part IV is on the sunset curve, but will be less gritty/grimy than the stories that come after. The immediate twist for Part IV was a pretty big gut-punch, and it certainly sets Josuke back a few strides on acceptability, but he does grow into his own.

Jotaru's presence doesn't really help, but one basically has to divorce Part IV from its roots in the adventures of the past. Only then can it be really appreciated as (possibly) the best Jojo part.

Though, I still think Part VII is the best. Which part is better, IV versus VII will certainly be a fun debate in 2020. :p
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #229
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Diamond is Unbreakable Episode 03:

Just watched this. It was pretty entertaining, but annoyed me at several points in ways that have far-reaching consequences for the franchise.

First, the bow and arrow. I'm not too thrilled with the idea of Enyaba having gifted Dio with Stand powers rather than Stand powers being something that was always latent within Jonathan's body and simply awoke in the mid-1980s for reasons untold. You can of course say, "But Talon: that's exactly what happened. It was latent, all along. The bow and arrow simply activates latent Stands that haven't been activated on their own yet." But I just ... I dunno. Something about the bow and arrow really bugs me.

Second, Jōsuke's mom confusing Jōtarō for Joseph. I get that this is a cute scene, one I even otherwise enjoyed, but like ... Jōtarō is 50% Japanese by blood. His mother Holly is 100% Caucasian but his father, the never-seen Mr. Kujo, is almost certainly full Japanese. Now you can say, "Ah ah ah ah! But Talon! Araki never said this! What if Mr. Kujo is mixed just like Jōtarō?" But that goes against Occam's razor. Jōtarō's dad is like 99.99% likely to have been full-blooded Japanese, and going off that it means Jōtarō is likely to be 50% Japanese himself. And you see it in Stardust. No one ever comments on how white he looks for a Japanese guy. None of the students at school ever give him shit for being a haafu, something which up until very recent times would get kids mercilessly terrorized. The fully Japanese name, the Japanese fashion sense, just ... nothing ever suggested until now that Jōtarō could be even remotely confused for a white guy. And yet here Jōsuke's mom goes and confuses Jōtarō for Joseph. Even dumber about this mix-up is that the Joseph she knew was already in his 60s (and thus looked very much like the Joseph we saw in Stardust Crusaders). He was not the Joseph Joestar from Battle Tendency. So like ... I just don't buy it. How could she possibly mistake a half-Asian man in his early 30s for a pure-Caucasian man in his 60s/70s?

Third, I'm not sure how I feel about where the series seems to be going soon -- with Okuyasu the younger brother joining our heroes and with ???? the older brother being the archvillain of the story. Not only does Okuyasu seem much too villainous right now to be an eventual ally (the sort of behavior that Araki had to resort to mind worms to explain away in Stardust), but he seems to have a really close bond with his brother. Even though his brother is frequently verbally abusing him, Okuyasu seems to brush it aside and still really likes his brother. How are we supposed to go from that to ... to where the OP credits seem to hint we'll be going? Weird.

Complaints aside, the episode was enjoyable. There are elements of the bow and arrow that even I like. The specifics of the identity confusion aside, I still really liked how Jōsuke's mom sees Joseph in Jōtarō and now is nursing a crush on him. (I might even have to ship it! ) I like how Araki is still trying to be original with his ideas for Stands. And while I find the execution of Okuyasu's Stand questionable given the explanation we were provided, it's still an interesting and powerful Stand that I look forward to seeing more of in the future.

So yeah, one last complaint, I guess. Araki says that Okuyasu's Stand has the power to wipe away the things it grazes from existence, and then the resultant gap is automatically closed. We then see him use this power against Jōsuke, Jōsuke is pulled towards Okuyasu each time Okuyasu swipes at the air in between them. Something is happening that shouldn't be happening, or else something isn't happening that should be happening:
  1. Jōsuke shouldn't be moving anywhere, because Okuyasu only swiped at two meters of air in front of him and not at the ground on which Jōsuke stands. Yes, there'd be a temporary pocket of air there, but you'd close it the same way you closed the gap between the gate's door when he swiped at that. You didn't drag the entire neighborhood over. You just hand-wavily "closed the gap" between the gate.
  2. Jōsuke should be moving as he is, but it should be because the entire "gap" between him and Okuyasu -- air, ground, all of it -- has been affected. And if that's the case, then the street should be becoming narrower and narrower with each passing swipe. The gap between Okuyasu's house and the house across the street, that gap should be closing. First it should be 30 feet wide. Then 25 feet wide. Then 20. Then 15. Then 10. Before long, the two houses' gated walls should be inches apart, with no wiggle room for either Jōsuke or Okuyasu. The fact that there is wiggle room -- no, that there's no change to the distance between the houses whatsoever -- presents a problem given that Jōsuke is still finding himself right in front of Okuyasu every time Okuyasu swipes.
So either the power's been explained incorrectly ... or else Araki had a momentary lapse of intelligence while writing this part. ^^;;

Lots of complaints in this post, but rest assured I did truly find the episode to be entertaining. Solid 7 out of 10.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #230
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Bow and Arrow plot device allowed Araki the ability to show that catalysts can trigger Stand development, not unlike the Evolution Stones in Pokemon. Just like how in Pokemon evolution is the natural result of experience gains, Stand development happens naturally and via the effect of catalysts.

Worth noting that because Enya pierced Dio with the Bow and Arrow, the entire Joestar lineage, physically connected to Jonathan's body, received Stands too. Hence why Holly was originally suffering from a cancerous form of Hermit Purple.

There's a fan theory out there too that the Bow/Arrow, which originally were forged from a meteorite, where actually derived from pieces of Cars returned to Earth.

Jotaro's Dad is 100% Japanese, but given Jotaro's size and build (I think I posted a comparison picture before) you could be convinced he's not an ordinary Japanese.

Okuyasu is probably my favourite hero in Part IV.

Koichi sucks.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #231
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

New episode but I'm horribly sick.

Really, I still think of this song as the definitive Jojo opening.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #232
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Diamond is Unbreakable Episode 04:

Yet another entertaining episode. It's a bit silly at times, but overall it's an enjoyable twenty minutes.

Koichi has been confirmed as a Stand user. It seems like he's an extreme case of a Stand neophyte, with a Stand that hasn't even hatched from its egg yet. (Because apparently Stands hatch from eggs? That or Koichi's power involves the production of eggs ...) It remains to be seen whether his Stand is the mysterious woman that sometimes appears in association with Koichi in the OP credits, but seeing as he has no Stand anywhere else in the OP (particularly times where other characters' Stands are on full display), I'm starting to wonder if the woman in question might be a human who has yet to be revealed and who has special importance. (Koichi's sister, maybe? His crush? His mother? Who knows ...)

Before we discuss the bad guy's power, let's discuss some altered names. Someone asked me the other day what Jousuke's Stand is called, but all I could remember was the "Diamond" portion. I couldn't remember the rest. Paying special attention to it this week, I discovered that it's ... well it's Crazy Diamond in Japanese but has somehow become Shining Diamond in English. Then I noticed that the same fate has befallen the bad guy's Stand: it's called Bad Company in Japanese but in English has become Worse Company. I appreciate that Viz Media (or whoever licensed Diamond is unbreakable first) felt the need to change song names and artist names to other, more tenuous names in order to preemptively stave off litigation. So I can understand why a name like Bad Company might have become Worse Company, even if I don't agree with it. (Pretty sure Bad Company, unlike Mariah Carey or Tom Petty, is not the sort of phrase you can win a trademark lawsuit over. Seeing as it's a perfectly common phrase in the English language! ) But why on Earth did they have to change Crazy Diamond to Shining Diamond? Again, it's just two innocuous words. And the original song in question this time, "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd, is a five-word phrase that would stand up in a trademark suit had Araki borrowed all five words but isn't going to be doing anything with just "Crazy Diamond". Bah. I know I've been inconsistent with this in the past, but my current leaning is towards using the Japanese names since that's what we're going to be hearing in the audio all the goddamn time. That's where I was towards the end of Stardust, preferencing Oingo and Boingo over whatever their Viz names were, and it's probably where I'm going to be here with Jousuke's superpower.

Alright. Bad Company. We finally get to see this superpower in action this episode, aaaaand ... it's pretty fucking lame. ^^; Here I was, expecting Okuyasu's older brother to be this series' archvillain, to have possible ties with Dio, to have a superpower that rivaled The World in its sheer awesomeness ... and no. This guy doesn't have anything close to what I imagined he might have. (More on that below.) He's just got a bunch of toy soldiers who fire miniature bullets and missiles with real destructive power. Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. If this is to be the series' archvillain, and I most certainly hope it is not, then you can count me out as far as excitement for this arc goes. I'll keep watching, but I'll be disappointed knowing how low the ceiling for this arc lies. Surely this guy is going to be taken out of the story next week. Surely he's just a one-off villain and the bow and arrow are going to be magically taken away from him by next week's Scooby villain. Hell, maybe that's what this story arc is all about -- the bow and arrow exchanging hands frequently, winding up in the hands of the story's ultimate villain before finally winding up with Joutarou and sent to the Speedwagon Foundation for sake keeping.

So what did I imagine this guy's Stand would be? Well, in talking with AK2, I theorized that for this series' archvillain to have a power even more fearsome than Dio's -- and keep in mind, Dio's power could be broadly defined as the ability to manipulate time, more specifically defined as the ability to halt time for several seconds -- then I figured it was a logical hop, skip, and a jump to produce a villain who can broadly speaking manipulate space. After all, in the West we tend to take the idea of space-time in the direction Einstein intended, reconciling that space and time are really two sides of the same coin, but in Japan we constantly see their fascination with space-time spinning off the other direction, with pairs who wield respective domain over space and time. (From our own Pokémon franchise, see Dialga and Palkia for example!) So I figured, fine: maybe Dio is "the Time Stand guy" and the Diamond is Unbreakable villain is "the Space Stand guy." This theory was supported by the observation that Okuyasu's power can also be broadly defined as space manipulation, and the presumption that Araki would want to give biological brothers Stands that are similar in their domain. (Even though I know he didn't do that at all for Oingo and Boingo. ^^; ) If Okuyasu's space-power is the ability to erase things from existence and close the gap, maybe his brother's space-power would have been (AK2's supposition here) the ability to phase through material substances, e.g. walls or projectiles. That would be a pretty fearsome power for such a pugnacious story as the JoJo franchise! An archvillain who no matter how many flurrious punches you throw his way he can avoid being hit by all of them simply by phasing through them?

But no. Looks like this Dio wanna-be's power is nothing more than the Toy Story army men.

Jousuke saves Okuyasu's life this episode, and Okuyasu repays his debt in kind. We begin to see the formation of their friendship, and it's not too bad but is still a little hard to believe. Araki tries to persuade us to buy it by having the older brother talk shit to Okuyasu as the latter lies dying in a pool of his own blood. And I'm not about to say that that's not persuasive. Just that ... I dunno, Okuyasu seems like the simple-minded type who has forgiven his abusive brother for so much shit over the years that I really don't think what was clearly unintentional manslaughter would've constituted enough grounds for a grudge from the guy. Shrug.

We haven't really talked about voice actors yet, so let's do that.

Jousuke is voiced by Ono Yuuki. He's a relatively young voice actor, born in 1984 and on the scene only starting in 2007. Mostly had bit roles in the early years, like the Shogun in Gintama, and even up through now the number of major roles he appears to have had isn't too many. Seems to have made a name for himself in sports anime, with roles in Kuroko no Basuke and Ace of Diamond, but yeah ... getting to voice Higashikata Jousuke might be the biggest main character role he's had yet.

Koichi is of course voiced by the unmistakable Kaji Yuuki. The man who voices Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan) and Citron (Pokémon) returns to lend his voice to the wimpy sidekick character of Diamond is Unbreakable. Not much to say here other than remarking on how high-profile Kaji Yuuki is these days and thus how the trend of Studio David managing to attract the very best voice acting talent continues. (Because who doesn't want to go down in history as having played a part in a JoJo!?)

Okuyasu is voiced by the legendary Takagi Wataru. You might better know him as the title character from Great Teacher Onizuka, Aoki Masaru from Hajime no Ippo, and Knuckle Bine from Hunter x Hunter. He has an iconic voice, one that just screams "young man ruffian with a heart of gold," and it would seem to be the case that for that very reason he's been cast as Okuyasu in both this production and in video games where Okuyasu has been a voiced character. Born in 1966, Takagi is the veteran of the group this go around with nearly 30 years' voice acting experience.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #233
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm surprised Wataru Takagi managed to hold on to his role! Since Stardust Crusaders Studio David has been reacasting a good number of the voices - Josukue was voiced by Wataru Hatano (Metal Bat in OPM) and lost the role when Part IV was announced.

Some clarification on The World -

The World itself doesn't have a distinct ability to stop time. Star Platinum and The World are merely physical Stands, super powerful and fast. Dio manages to stop time by accelerating The World to a speed where time stands still, not unlike Joe Shimamura of Cyborg 009. In a sense, Dio "broke" the limits of his own Stand by finding a power that would not be possibly for a non-immortal vampire under normal circumstances.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #234
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Some clarification on The World -

The World itself doesn't have a distinct ability to stop time. Star Platinum and The World are merely physical Stands, super powerful and fast. Dio manages to stop time by accelerating The World to a speed where time stands still, not unlike Joe Shimamura of Cyborg 009. In a sense, Dio "broke" the limits of his own Stand by finding a power that would not be possibly for a non-immortal vampire under normal circumstances.
This has to be your personal headcanon. Both because I don't want it to be true (I hate it) and because they just contradicted you not but last week's episode (05).
Old 05-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #235
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It is true as of the most recent portrayal of Star Platinum. I can't go into specifics more than that, but perhaps Araki had a different idea back in Part IV. In Part III, the mechanics of the time stop weren't detailed.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #236
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
It is true as of the most recent portrayal of Star Platinum. I can't go into specifics more than that, but perhaps Araki had a different idea back in Part IV. In Part III, the mechanics of the time stop weren't detailed.
I don't like that at all. At all. He's very clear on the point in Parts III and IV that:

time is literally stopped, and that is a cool ability. It's fucking retarded to say that in reality all that's happening is we're moving and punching at such high speeds that it would appear to outside observers that time was stopped for them momentarily when, in fact, it never was. I get that Araki's typically a clever writer and that he might've gotten a whiff of some special relativity and decided to incorporate it into his tale, but explaining away TOKI WO TOMARE! (literally "STOP TIME!") as being nothing more than Dio punching at lightning-fast speeds is both stupid and contradictory. When time is stopped in Part III, Dio doesn't just continue to punch and kick. He moves around. He meditates. He muses. He mocks. It isn't just his physical body that operates at normal speeds while the rest of the world is paused -- it's his brain chemistry too. He processes thoughts at impossible speeds (if we're going to go with Araki's retcon as canon). He moves at speeds that (per Araki's retcon) would require imprints and other physical damage to the structures he pushes off of with his feet. (Impulse. #physics) The only way around these problems ... is the original, untarnished premise. "Yes, I am literally stopping time but only for you guys and not for me. Magically and hand-wavily, I am able to move around the stopped world at 1x speed exerting 1x energy and being 1x me in all ways, while you guys are frozen as though in ice. So when I push off the sidewalk, I do so with no more impulse than I'd do when time is unpaused. Or when I think thoughts to myself, my neurotransmitters aren't firing off any faster than when time is unpaused."

In trying to be clever in the future, I fear that Araki has tripped up and created a canon that is even more stupid than the one we had previously. And not that the one we had previously was stupid. I quite like Toki wo Tomare. And I'm going to stick to my guns and activate my own selfish headcanon that he is stopping time and to hell with future canon.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #237
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

If we want to get into the nuts and bolts of similar abilities, how can anyone see when time is literally stopped? Light also stops, so photons are just suspended in place. You have to be constantly moving into the photons to give yourself some semblance of sight.

The example I gave of Cyborg 009 portrays time stop in exactly the same way as The World does, but gives the mechanics as being simply "moving faster than light" or something comparable. Shimamura can walk AND run in the frozen world, but the frozen world is explained away as him already being at high speed. Maybe, it's like walking/running inside of a speeding train? He also had the drawback of being unable to touch people, at risk of destroying them, due to "friction".

I get what you're saying though, so I wonder if that explanation is just another Star Platinum nerf. Stardust Crusaders is the only story arc where Star Platinum isn't hindered in some way to prevent it from outright solving the story's problems with force, given the distances involved in the journey to Egypt. And, even in Part III itself, the enemies spent a lot of time denying Jotaro's advantages. That just gets worse in Part IV+ where the focus shifts to a new protagonist.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #238
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I watched Episode 05 this past Saturday. I enjoyed it, but man if it didn't take a surprising turn! (For the current story arc. Although you could extend it to the entire season too if Araki wants to.) There were multiple great moments throughout the episode. I would rewatch it if more time were available to me.

Not surprisingly, the bow and arrow wind up in a new Monster of the Week's hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Surely this guy is going to be taken out of the story next week. Surely he's just a one-off villain and the bow and arrow are going to be magically taken away from him by next week's Scooby villain. Hell, maybe that's what this story arc is all about -- the bow and arrow exchanging hands frequently, winding up in the hands of the story's ultimate villain before finally winding up with Joutarou and sent to the Speedwagon Foundation for sake keeping.
Called it. Or rather, identified the possibility and considered it the most likely outcome.

The idea that people with flesh buds turn into Deadpool-esque abominations once Dio dies is ... well, I guess it's several things , but the one I want to focus on is that it could have far-reaching consequences for the story. I have to severely doubt that the Nijimuras' father was the ooooooooooonly guy on Planet Earth to still have a flesh bud embedded in his brain after Team Joestar took Dio out. Surely there were others peppered throughout the world. Southeast Asia, India, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and of course Egypt. With the introduction of the Nijimuras' father, I feel like an entire new subplot has to have opened up here. On the one hand we have 1, but on the other hand we have 2:
  1. Jousuke must defend Morioh City from all threats, both foreign and domestic.
  2. Joutarou must scour the world for Dio's henchmen, ridding them of their flesh bud cancer through the power of the Ripple.
"But Talon," you say, "Joutarou doesn't know how to do the Ripple!" True. Very true. And that's why the arc would get interesting. If Jijii dies or is already too weak, there's no one left in our story who could use the Ripple to rid the world of vampire flesh. So it could fall to Joutarou to tour the world on a reinvent-the-wheel mission to discover a youth capable of learning the Ripple, crudely teaching him the Ripple (because it's now a lost art, suppose), and the youth who might well be our hero of Part V is basically the founder of the 2nd Ripple School -- and his first mission is ridding the world of Dio's flesh bud cancer. (Chump change for Jonathan and Joseph, but difficult for a young man who basically had to start from scratch.)

Kinda surprised that Araki decided to kill off the older Nijimura brother. Not surprised from a "Episodes 01 thru 04 are locked in" position. By the end of Episode 04, it's kinda hard to redeem the older brother, for some of the very same reasons he tells Okuyasu in Episode 05. (Primarily the whole "Do you know how many people I've killed with this bow and arrow? " problem.) No, the direction I'm coming from with my surprise is from more of a "Before the season even began" position. I'm kinda surprised that Araki would've written Keichou to be so irretrievably villainous from the start, given his character design and given the redemption path that Okuyasu takes. Maybe it's just because we're coming off the heels of Stardust's five-strong cast of main characters, but it feels like we're short one man with Diamond is Unbreakable. Maybe it's because Joutarou is off screen too much, and the OP credits subliminally push the idea of this story arc being one with a four-man crew.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #239
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 06:

This week's the Koichi episode, exploring his Stand in more detail while also introducing a new Stand of the Week. The episode is okay, held back mostly by two factors:
  1. I'm not too big on Koichi.
  2. The villain of the week is lame and an obvious piece-of-shit nobody who won't amount to much as the series continues.
While the villain's power is interesting, that interest is fleeting. It couldn't keep me interested for the entire episode, much less for an entire season. "He creates a physical manifestation of guilt which weighs on the victim's soul so heavily that, at its maximum, it drives the victim to end their own life." Alright, cool. What's stopping a hero like Joutarou from simply ending this guy? That's the problem with villains like this week's: Joutarou could easily put a stop to them just by the brute force of his Star Platinum. He would feel no guilt as he acted, being Joutarou and all, and would successfully kill the enemy Stand user before allowing anyone else to die. I see now what Doppel was saying about how Diamond is Unbreakable is plagued by the plot hole of "Joutarou could fix everything but never does". In this instance, he's blissfully unaware of what's going on. Perhaps in future instances, we'll have different types of excuses. Regardless, this villain would have been a 5-minute appetizer in Stardust yet here in Diamond he soaks up an entire episode.

I didn't like sniveling Koichi to begin with, but now that he has this Super Saiyan form I dislike him even more. He now seems to me like he's meant to be the character that sniveling wimpy nerds can project themselves onto on. "[lisp] Don't make me mad or I'll go Hulk on you! [/lisp]" fantasizes the nerd. That's what Koichi is: a weak nerd's fantasy.

Koichi's Stand is ... interesting. I'm not a big fan of it because of how silly it is. I'm also turned off by how OP it has now been revealed to be -- it would have been one thing if the SFX could only show up from physical blows, but with Koichi yelling "BELIEVE IN ME!" to his mother and it having its profound effect upon her, now his Stand becomes this OP hypnotic tool which Koichi can use to compel anyone to do almost anything. That's my fear, anyway. Hopefully Araki doesn't resort to using the Stand in such broken ways. It was better (though still lame/silly) when all it could do was make people hear SFX in their heads over and over again.

The best(?) part of the episode for me was probably near the beginning. I was so distraught over the dead/dying cat, so much so that I refused to accept that it was dead until Jousuke arrived on the scene. Once he did arrive on the scene, I watched with baited breath as I waited for him to walk over to the cat and examine it. Finally he does, and ... it's revealed to be a blood(?)-soaked stuffed doll. A lot of relief, but it also felt like the resolution Araki went with defanged the scene of a lot of its emotional weight. Part of me feels like it might have been better to have kept the cat a real live animal () but to then of course have had Jousuke heal it (). Would've maintained the level of disgust and hatred we had for the villain all while still not killing any animals.

I was surprised that this week's episode didn't continue right from where the last one left off, with the electronic kappa Stand and its user. Can't tell from the title of next week's episode whether he's going to show up next week or not. The title simply says "Toshikazu Hazamada (Surface)" in Japanese, and then strangely Surface has become "Show Off" in the English subtitle. Is this another case of a Viz Media localization to avoid trademark issues? No idea. "Surface" I would think would be so generic as to be unfightable in court. Also, I'm not familiar with any bands or songs called "Surface," so I don't think this is on the same level of familiarity (and thus grounds for trademark lawsuit) as Mariah Carey or J. Geil.

Having met Koichi's family, we can rule out the mysterious beautiful woman with the long wavy black hair as being either his mother or his older sister. And having met his Stand, we can rule her out from being his Stand too. So I guess that leaves the next possibility now as the most likely: that she's a fellow Stand-using student who goes to the boys' school. We'll just have to wait and see whether she's friend or foe.

It could just be because Keichou profiled particular sorts of people for his bow and arrow escapades, but so far the people in Morioh who have received Stand powers outside of our main three have proven to be terrible people who use their newfound powers for evil. Angelo and this week's villain were both probably awful people before they even got powers (Angelo for sure was), but the electric kappa guy and others, we still don't know if they were normal people before getting powers and then became power-wrought villains afterwards. If that's the case -- that they were average people who then became villains once embued with powers -- then it sure doesn't say much for Araki's estimation of the human race, does it? ^^; "Most people, given power, will wield that power for ill." I'm hoping that that isn't going to be the general trend for this story arc -- "every Stand user our heroes meet is a villain except for them themselves." I'd like for the pretty girl and others to be our friends even if they're not too involved with the plot.

I expected Koichi to order this week's villain to leave town and never return. Like, 100% expected him to say that. Was pretty damn shocked when he greedily ordered him to bring him $5,000. And even if he then plays it off as a joke seconds later, he still doesn't deny the villain becoming Koichi's new bitch. What the hell. Why would you even want someone so despicable to be around you all the time? Why wouldn't you order him to leave town and never return? And of course as an outside viewer, my louder thought is, "Better yet: why not send him Joutarou's way and let Joutarou deal with him?" If the Stand can be taken away from the guy, good: do so. If it can't, you assess his character ... and if you assess that he's rotten to the core, and that the next town he goes to is going to be victimized by him the same as Morioh was starting to be, well then, I guess that means you end his life. Sorry to be grim, folks, but how moral is it of us to let a serial killer loose on a neighboring town and say, "Don't care. Not my problem anymore"?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #240
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Your dislike of Koichi is understandable. But wouldn't it be fare to say authors also dislike characters as obviously wimpy as him, and so have a grand purpose for such characters?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #241
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"What is with this show and fucked up openings!? " - me, just now, Episode 07
Old 05-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #242
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Diamond is Unbreakable Episode 07:

I thought it was an original bit of writing to have the newest Villain of the Week be the one to kill the previous Villain of the Week off in a way that didn't make a big deal about either and that didn't involve our heroes. I'm disappointed that Araki retcons it at the end there by saying Tamami is still alive and that he's been taken to the hospital for his injuries. C'mon, man. Just admit you killed him with that crushing blow to the skull and move on.

Confused by what Hazamada's Stand actually was. The implication at the beginning (with the locker scene) and at the end (with the mannequin's destruction) is that the mannequin was only ever a plain ol' mannequin and that Hazamada was using his power, Surface, on the mannequin. But for the vast majority of the episode, it feels like the mannequin is Hazamada's Stand. So when Jousuke punched it into splinters, I thought he was unwittingly killing the guy offscreen. And I thought this was Araki's twisted sense of a good ending! "I'm going to have the tough guys get their revenge since Hazamada was a monster who killed one and Heath Ledger Joker'd the other guy's mouth (and possibly even removed his tongue), but I also feel bad for Hazamada who is only human and so I'm going to have Jousuke kill him, by destroying the mannequin, and this will release Hazamada of his suffering at the hands of the tough guys. And because Jousuke does it unwittingly, unaware that Stand death = Stand user death, he won't even have to feel any guilt!" Or something. TBH that would have been pretty stupid in the long run since Jousuke has to learn eventually about the connection between Stand death and Stand user death, but for now my bigger frustration is this bait-and-switch of Araki's. "You thought Hazamada just got killed? THINK AGAIN! The mannequin was only ever that -- just a plain wooden doll!" What was the point.

To his credit, I guess the episode offers a warning of this outcome, one which I initially felt was another plot hole: the fact that when Jousuke amputates Impostor Jousuke's right hand with the glass bottle Hazamada doesn't lose his own right hand in the process.

Koichi making them hear train sounds was cute but writing for a juvenile audience at the same time. Mixed feelings.

Looks like the mysterious beauty has a crush on one of our two heroes. I feel like this is an obvious red herring where younger, less experienced viewers will suspect it's Jousuke she has a crush on but it's going to be revealed that in fact she has the crush on Koichi. The OP credits already support a connection between the two, and Episode 07's out-of-place scene with all of the girls purring over Imposter Jousuke seems like it can only serve the purpose of a red herring meant to sabotage younger viewers' efforts to predict the future.

Hazamada mentions that he's working as part of a group. Makes sense since he knows too much about Joutarou and the only villain we know of at this point who should know all of that information is the electric kappa Stand user. So apparently he, Hazamada, and possibly others are working together.

Disappointed with how Joutarou was written at the train station. Felt like he should have been more aware of Jousuke taking his pen (HOW DO YOU NOT NOTICE THAT!?) and proceeding to do weird things with it. Felt like he should have been less "Hmm? " when he caught Jousuke about to stab him with the pen, should've been more aware that it was the enemy Stand user manipulating Jousuke and/or that the Jousuke in front of him right then was himself the bad guy / impostor. (The wrong conclusion, but it would've been a sound guess given the circumstances.) Just felt weird to see him so unaware of his surroundings and so blasé about the attempt on his life.

While I'm glad Jousuke didn't lose an eye >_< , I thought it was lazy writing to have Hazamada only make Jousuke shove the pencil into the bone 1 cm below his eye, where it couldn't dig much deeper without supreme force, instead of making him gouge his own eye out the way he made his former friend do so.

Speaking of that former friend -- kinda bothered by the fact that the narrator tells us about Tamami's survival but doesn't bother to explain that Jousuke finds the victim who lost his eye and secretly gives him his eye back. It's not like Jousuke is doing a great job of hiding the fact that he has magical healing powers -- see the woman in Episode 01's hostage crisis, and now the two tough guys from this episode -- so it's not like we should expect him to be concerned about medical doctors at the hospital finding out that a messiah is in their midst. Heal the poor boy and give him his eye back.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:16 AM   #243
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hey Talon, do you notice any trends in the villains of the week?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #244
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Hey Talon, do you notice any trends in the villains of the week?
I mean, I could sit here and try to identify trends, but nailing the precise one you're thinking of is like finding a needle in a haystick, I fear. No trends I could possibly think of right now stand out as the sort of thing you'd be inquiring about.

Alright, just watched Episode 08. Thoughts!

Diamond is Unbreakable Episode 08:

This bitch be CRAZY! ^^;

I was disappointed that the woman is an enemy, but pleasantly surprised that she is a rogue enemy who is acting completely on her own and has no interest in Stands, getting Jōtarō to leave town, etc. Sort of comes out as a wash, then.

I've been really surprised, again pleasantly so, by just how much Japanese pop culture is reflected in Yamagishi Yukako and her hair powers. Just off the top of my head, some of the ones I was reminded of while watching:
  • Sadako from The Ring, with the long hair, the part where he has hair in his wine glass, etc.
  • Palm from Hunter x Hunter, with the yandere aura, the obsession with being in love, how she turns wicked nasty when her Romeo rejects her, the being really really pretty when at her nicest, etc.
  • Millia Rage from the Guilty Gear series, with the whole "I attack with my hair" / "my hair acts like a prehensile tail, a projectile, ..." angle.
I'm not sure how much of these are Araki and the other content creators pulling from the same inspirations (e.g. classical Japanese horror) and how much of these are Araki & Co. directly inspiring each other. For instance, the idea of long beautiful hair that turns on the man and attacks him, gets everywhere, etc. is famously explored by the first ghost story in the film Kwaidan. This film is from the 1960s, and is based on ghost stories and folk tales collected by Lafcadio Hearn at the end of the 19th century. Could Araki and the others all be independently pulling from these sources? Well sure. But when I see Yukako and she's Sadako and Millia and Palm, it's like, I have to wonder! Did Togashi base Palm off of Yukako? Did Araki base Yukako off of Sadako? (The Ring was first published in 1991; Diamond is Unbreakable ran from 1992 to 1995. Surely the book would have been topical back then!) Even her name, Yukako, sounds similar to Sadako given not just the terminal -ko sound but the a sound in front of the ko too.

I enjoyed the Jousuke and Okuyasu scenes. Their friendship seems like it's largely being built off screen but we're getting onscreen breadcrumbs too and this episode had quite a number of them. I really enjoyed the scene where Okuyasu tells Jousuke he's a genius and Jousuke, an idiot himself / arguably the dumbest of the JJBA main characters we've had so far, is all like, "Thank you, thank you. " hahaha It worked well. Five to ten seconds of 10/10 substance.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #245
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Diamond is Unbreakable Episode 09:

An entertaining episode. Not sure how to feel about the ending, with psychopath Yukako surviving when the author could have easily had her killed off without any blood on the heroes' hands. Also not sure how to feel about Koichi's powers, which are getting increasingly broken as time goes on. (I swear, he's already at a point power level-wise where he could write "SFX: IMMORTAL" on a person and they'd become immortal. Just by writing "SFX: BOINGY BOING" on a spire he made it go from rock to rubber!) But the episode was exciting from start to finish, no two ways about it.

Koichi's new haircut looks really dumb but whatever. Maybe it too will level up as his Stand evolves further.

I don't have too much else to say ... I'd just have to find four different paragraphs' worth of text to convey "This episode was super exciting! " to convey to you how much I was entertained. You'll just have to take my word for it.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #246
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Now that I think about it, Talon - have you seen the old Jojo OVA? It should be safe to watch now that you've seen all of Part 3.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #247
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I haven't. Should I? I figured the Studio David version would replace the '90s OAV outright. Is there still merit to seeing the original, even though it's abridged and missing characters?
Old 05-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #248
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I saw both versions so here's my comparison.

The original Jojo OVA is very good at building suspense - the sound effects are selectively used, music is infrequent, characters aren't yelling everywhere and the action is delivered very powerfully and explosively. The end result is a smooth, somewhat scary experience. Jojo is a shounen manga, but the OVA elevates it to seinen territory as you would see in a visual novel.

The second OVA, which covers the earlier parts, was digitally done and lightens up on this suspense/horror a bit, but is similar.

It's very well animated, and I feel the Dio fight is better in the OVA than in the anime. Since the anime chopped it up and bit and was a bit haphazard at certain parts. There isn't any censorship and the violence is as you would expect from an '80s OVA.

The OVA is faithful up until the heroes storm Dio's hideout. Events unfold a little differently in there, but the Dio fight resumes its faithfulness, with one exception - the steamroller is replaced by an oil tanker.

To be honest, even the All-Star Battle trailer does the Dio fight better than the anime. It wasn't bad, but it's the least impressive adaption in spite of Koyasu voicing Dio. The ASB trailer is salt in the wound since Koyasu is voicing Dio in that, too.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #249
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Diamond is Unbreakable Episode 10:

Cute episode. To the home viewer, it's impossible not to notice that everything happening to Okuyasu is an apparent purging of his physical ailments, however gruesome the purging process may be. So the entire time, you're entertaining only two possibilities:
  1. Tonio Trussardi is a villain and while nice things are happening to Okuyasu presently they are building up towards the probable taking of his life / harvesting of his organs
  2. Tonio Trussardi is an unlikely good guy who sincerely wishes to heal people but does so in a rather horrific fashion
It ends up being the latter, which comes as no surprise to anyone watching, but you still can't be 100% certain which it is until it's finally revealed that Tonio is handing Jousuke a bar of soap. So I'll credit the episode with that. Good job keeping things ambiguous until the last possible second.

His Stand is named Pearl Jam (Pole Jam in the English localization ^^; ) and is a bit of a decoy with its impish-looking appearance. The sneak peek for next week reveals that we're about to meet someone named Red Hot Chili Pepper, which for me begs the question: why didn't Araki name the tomato Stand this instead? I can understand if he prefers one group to the other, fine, but it makes no sense to go on and on about Italian cuisine and to even specifically serve Okuyasu a spaghetti filled with red chili peppers and to not name the food Stand after the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I realize it's probably too much to ask for, but as a Joseph fan I kinda wish that Joseph would eat at this restaurant and have his senile dementia cured. Oh well.

At least we get to see him next episode! Hoping it isn't too heartbreaking.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #250
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've been keeping up with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Thru Episode 15. Just a few very small things to share.

Diamond is Unbreakable Episode 15 (and some of 11-14 as well):

Recognized Sakurai as Kishibe Rohan. Without knowing more about the franchise's future villains, I'll say that this was a good casting choice. Psycho-Pass has cemented my impression of Sakurai as a top-level voice actor when it comes to casting serial killers.

Didn't expect the baby to be more than a one-off character belonging to a passing filler. The new opening credits dismantle those impressions. It's clear that the baby is important to the story. As AK2 surmised, at least the new Iggy. As I surmised, possibly the very protagonist of Part V or VI. (Perhaps the reason the baby is so fond of Joseph is ...? He's the father? :o )

The new opening credits also show an interesting new character: the woman sitting beside Yukako. Her mother? Older sister? Not quite sure. We'll find out soon enough! Regardless, it lends every impression of, "If you thought Yukako was bad news, just wait until you get a load of this chick!"

I told AK2 several weeks back, before the face-off between Chili Pepper and Okuyasu on the grass, that I believed Chili Pepper was nothing more than the series' mid-boss and that the ultimate boss of the arc was the mysterious person responsible for all of the "Addams Family Thing"-style dismembered floating hands around town. The one we saw in the kitchen cooking breakfast in Episode 01, the one we saw circa Episode 09 or 10 in the shower ... someone is going around town dismembering people(?), and whoever it is and whatever it is that he's doing, I believe he's our main boss for this season.

Not really big on any of Part IV's OPs or EDs. The first OP and ED of the season never really grew on me, and I honestly don't think the second OP is a musical improvement. (Though I do like what it shows on screen better.) There's a big divide between Parts I, II, and III with their OPs and EDs and then Part IV. I'm not sure what's to blame for it. The passage of time, and the studio losing their touch? Running out of all the great songs, and now all that's left is the mediocre? The earlier songs all genre-matching their respective eras and/or narratives, with JJBA Part IV's songs also matching with respect to either the 1990s or the nature of the tale but I just don't personally find the genre catchy? I dunno what it is. I just know, I don't dislike any of the Part IV OPs or EDs but neither do I like any of them enough to put them on my MP3 player. I have all of OP1 (Phantom Blood), OP2 (Battle Tendency), OP3 (Stardust Crusaders Part I), and OP4 (Stardust Crusaders Part II) on my iPhone.

Disappointed with Part IV Joseph but the blow was greatly lessened by Doppel's once-in-a-year welcome spoiler. Honestly, though, if this was the Joseph that Araki was going to give us, he should have either a) never had Dio appear to kill Joseph in Part III and instead later had Joseph die of old age the way his grandmother did at the end of Part II; or else b) gone ahead and had Dio kill Joseph off -- not just appear to, but actually do it. The whole "looks like he died; PSYCH! he didn't!" twist was really bad in its execution, and Part IV's proving that it wasn't even worth the payoff because what payoff? *sigh*

One of my favorite scenes so far in Part IV -- probably the only scene that even comes remotely close to the emotional scenes from seasons past -- is the one we had in last week's very episode. The flashback scene, with Jousuke pushing his mom's car out of the snow twelve years ago. A well-crafted synesthesia of music, dialogue, and animation, the scene was emotional, brimming with the taste of dilute melancholy. I can't wait to see how we get here, how/why Jousuke ends up being transported twelve years into the past and if/how he manages to make it home. The way he looks after the car as his mother drives away ... the way he looks throughout the entire ordeal, really ... it's like a man who knows he's seeing his beloved mother for the very last time and has to be strong enough to keep from crying, do what's required of him, and not clue her in to who he is or that this is good-bye. Maybe I'm reading into the scene too much, but if I am not and this is indeed where we're headed, well then job well done to Studio David for conveying such a precise message in such a short amount of time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime