UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 11-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #51
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
It's actually underway right now!

I don't know how a second season could roll actually. There are still a lot of "monster of the week" stories that have yet to be animated. And avoiding more of the main story would invite criticism.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #52
Connor
Flashbacker

(This has manga spoilers/webtoon spoilers, so)

Spoiler: show
I would hope that it would go to the climax and final fight of the Garou arc, but considering the manga hasn't even got to that point yet I would be entirely skeptical of that happening. I can however see it just taking us through some of his progression as a side story and building him up for s3 (if it happened).
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:06 AM   #53
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Hopefully the popularity will cement a second season. Though that may already be in the works, I'm not exactly one to keep up avidly with that kind of news.
Sounds like it was confirmed in September. Will probably air some time in 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
There isn't much of an overarching story in the early goings. [...] The problem is though, the anime only barely scratches the surface of the story. OPM becomes really, really good when the story actually does go down.
That is a problem.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:44 AM   #54
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 5 was much more enjoyable than anything I've seen yet in the series. I had a good time. 7/10.

It was spoiled a long, long time ago ... I wanna say back before the anime had come out? ... that Saitama is ranked stupidly low whereas Genos is ranked super super high. So that didn't get to come as a surprise or anything.

But what I liked so much about this episode was that it took special pains to show, just in case the audience doesn't understand or (as was my case) reaaaally wanted hard confirmation, that Saitama is in fact one of the greatest if not the greatest warriors in the show in terms of sheer raw strength and other physical abilities like toughness and agility. The sparring match between Saitama and Genos was excellent, both plot-wise/character-wise and visual spectacle-wise. And I loved the part where Saitama throws a serious punch at the very end there, and all Genos sees is "DEATH" ... and then Saitama stops his throw ... and then, despite this, we still see that he's managed to decimate a mesa at least 700 feet tall ... It was pretty nice all around.

Not a fan of the prissy little dick-preening club that the Hero Association appears to be, but then again neither are Saitama or Genos. So hopefully the organization is either reformed quickly (cool) or else their stay is short-lived (I would also be fine with that, although Doppel's old discussions about OPM would seem to suggest that this one isn't going to happen).
Old 11-18-2016, 06:11 AM   #55
Connor
Flashbacker

Glad you enjoyed the Saitama - Genos sparring scene. I think your feelings pretty much summed mine up too - Genos is meant to be one of the strongest active heroes in the business right now, and evident in the entire scene just how overwhelmingly Saitama is. Really drives home the fact that the guy is in fact just leaps and bounds ahead of everything (and one) we're likely to see. Which is shockingly useful. Asking your audience to believe this guy is absurdly strong because he's whacking monsters on the regular is one thing, but illustrating the fact that he could easily - if he so choosed - wipe out more or less the entire "strong" supporting cast is an entirely different kettle.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #56
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
That is a problem.
To be fair, the MotW after what forms "season one" tends to develop characters as the monsters appear.

By that measure I can say the Heroes Association is really the "scratch" of the "scratch the surface".

The other heroes make for a better story than Saitama - different powers, lots of unique interactions and interplay with one another, and weakness. Because they're weaker, they're going to struggle against some of the threats Saitama atomizes.

One of the latter monster fights in the anime is truly remarkable. I know BBB remarked he watched it twice, how impressed he was with it. I think you will like this fight because a certain favourite VA of yours makes an appearance Talon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-22-2016, 10:56 PM   #57
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
One of the latter monster fights in the anime is truly remarkable. I know BBB remarked he watched it twice, how impressed he was with it. I think you will like this fight because a certain favourite VA of yours makes an appearance Talon.
D'oh, I misremembered this! I thought you had said that an upcoming character in general, not necessarily a monster, had a VA whose voice I really like. So when I heard Tatsumaki open her mouth, and then later Fubuki, I began to wonder if it wasn't one of them. Well ... disregard the following, I guess , but I went to the trouble of writing it up so I'll still share it for your general perusal:
Is it Yuuki Aoi? Because if it's her, I'm surprised. On the one hand, I adored her voice as Korone from Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou and years later as the very-different-sounding Maya Fey from the Ace Attorney anime. On the other hand, I came to despise the sound of her voice as Iris from Pokémon Best Wishes, the same exact voice she used in Kiruminzuu as Riko. So like ... I wouldn't say I love Yuuki Aoi so much as I have loved certain performances of hers.

Is it Hayami Saori? Because if it's her, I'm surprised too. The only character she's voiced that I've ever commented on really being in love with the voice actress's voice was Musubi from Sekirei.
That's okay. I didn't expect you to remember I adored Korone since I always spoke more about Itou Shizuka and how much my Ichiban Ushiro waifu is Etou Fujiko. And I wouldn't expect you to remember the Musubi love either since ... well hell, I don't even recall if I was on UPN for when Sekirei aired.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:18 PM   #58
Talon87
時の彼方へ

As you could probably tell from the earlier post, I watched Episode 06. It was enjoyable. Somewhere between a 6 and a 7 out of 10. Would be more inclined to group it with Episode 05 than with Episodes 01 thru 04.

I continue to enjoy Genos's interactions with Saitama, which is good, I guess, because it's like half the show. :') So the opening scene of the episode was enjoyed by me.

I like that we finally get to meet the mysterious Tatsumaki. And get a name for her, too! Tatsumaki ("Twister"/"Tornado") is what I named my beloved Reckless Staraptor, so the name's got a lot of positive emotional attachment for me that she gets to inherit for free. Kinda would've liked a better look at her powers, but oh well, that's okay, I'm sure we'll see them soon enough.

Poor kelp monster. Not only got killed by Saitama but eaten too. Damn, man, that's hardcore.

I A-D-O-R-E the gag that runs throughout the episode's end that the Hero Association mistakes Saitama's (and/or Genos's?) destructive acts within Z-City for those of a monster or group of monsters. It's kinda funny but also kinda sad though how ... he lives in this Sarajevo-esque warzone and doesn't seem to notice it or mind it at all. It hasn't been well established before this episode that Saitama lives in a ghost town. In fact, if anything, I'd say that the opposite was established. Weakly, maybe. But I got the impression from Episode 01, and others like it, that this guy lived surrounded by other people. It's not until Episode 06 that we're basically told, "No, he and Genos live in a section of the city that has been isolated by the government due to fears that it is too overrun with monsters. There are no normal people left. Everyone has already fled. Saitama and Genos are the only people living here."

Finally went and got the OP single. I love the "HERO!" part of the song. (0m41s to 1m08s.) I wish it were the entire song. It's so good. And the animation being synced up to it is sublime. The way he delivers those punches to the syllables of "HE-RO!" It's so good. MadHouse is so fucking good these days, god bless their director(s). Death Parade, Hunter x Hunter, One Punch Man, Kaiji ...
Old 11-22-2016, 11:54 PM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

07 was good if silly for the power level involved. Not too much to say about it, really. It was an enjoyable episode but not one which spurs me to write. It would probably have been the series finale for most other stories featuring a hero with superhuman strength. Here, it's just Episode 07 of 12 of Season 1.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:31 AM   #60
Connor
Flashbacker

Must say I'm glad you're liking the music. A lot of scenes are seriously enhanced by how well the music was put together, a little like Hunter x Hunter only in a more simple, "smash the bad guy" way.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #61
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
D'oh, I misremembered this! I thought you had said that an upcoming character in general, not necessarily a monster, had a VA whose voice I really like. So when I heard Tatsumaki open her mouth, and then later Fubuki, I began to wonder if it wasn't one of them. Well ... disregard the following, I guess , but I went to the trouble of writing it up so I'll still share it for your general perusal:
Is it Yuuki Aoi? Because if it's her, I'm surprised. On the one hand, I adored her voice as Korone from Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou and years later as the very-different-sounding Maya Fey from the Ace Attorney anime. On the other hand, I came to despise the sound of her voice as Iris from Pokémon Best Wishes, the same exact voice she used in Kiruminzuu as Riko. So like ... I wouldn't say I love Yuuki Aoi so much as I have loved certain performances of hers.

Is it Hayami Saori? Because if it's her, I'm surprised too. The only character she's voiced that I've ever commented on really being in love with the voice actress's voice was Musubi from Sekirei.
That's okay. I didn't expect you to remember I adored Korone since I always spoke more about Itou Shizuka and how much my Ichiban Ushiro waifu is Etou Fujiko. And I wouldn't expect you to remember the Musubi love either since ... well hell, I don't even recall if I was on UPN for when Sekirei aired.
Quote:
07 was good if silly for the power level involved. Not too much to say about it, really. It was an enjoyable episode but not one which spurs me to write. It would probably have been the series finale for most other stories featuring a hero with superhuman strength. Here, it's just Episode 07 of 12 of Season 1.
I'll leave it as a surprise at this point, since you're right on top of it (Episode 08+).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #62
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Must say I'm glad you're liking the music. A lot of scenes are seriously enhanced by how well the music was put together, a little like Hunter x Hunter only in a more simple, "smash the bad guy" way.
Well, I wouldn't go that far as to say I'm enjoying the music collectively ... it's really just the OP. OP's really good. ED's really bad. ^^; (At least, a horrible fit. And a song I don't really like anyway.) Rest of the music is there, I guess? Haven't really noticed it, for better or worse.

But the OP ... I just love that "HE-RO!" part. Not just that word, though definitely that word. But the entire section. I wish the entire song were that good. It's not, but it's still good. Good enough to tug me in and have me re-listen to the best part.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #63
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I like the entire opening.

The lyrics are especially good because it's obviously intended from Saitama's perspective, and it's a good short summary of his character.

I don't even remember the ending theme. I always skipped it cause it was whatever.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-24-2016, 12:45 AM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Through Episode 08. Episode was about as exciting as "I know this is just building up to a showdown with Saitama, one which he can't and won't lose" can be. I enjoy seeing Sonic, Genos, and the bicycle guy all continue to get character development whilst Saitama progresses towards his latest mantelpiece.

Hey, look: it's Koyama Rikiya. A.k.a. Emiya Kiritsugu. A.k.a. Blackie. A.k.a. Ging Freecss. A.k.a. Will A. Zeppe--WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!? ... We'll revisit that one later. O_o (That was RIKIYA!? O.o) But yes. Koyama Rikiya, a.k.a. Kiritsugu. Nice voice is nice.

Sadly, I can't stand the look of his character here. ^^; It's like if Kefka and the Creature from the Black Lagoon were merged into one. It's awful stuff to look at, I can't stand it.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:23 AM   #65
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched Episode 09. It was fine.

I like that Saitama pursued the promotion to B Class. I was concerned the writing would go down the tired road of, "Ranks don't matter! " as an irritating justification for why he's going to perpetually be S-rank in power yet C-rank in official listings.

I felt bad for Mumen Rider, but it was a realistic outcome. Still, an emotional scene. (The fight in the rain. Not the later noodle cafe scene. lol)

Was interesting to see Genos brought so close to death ... but vice-versa was really irritating to see the anime just gloss over how he survives and is restored to full health. He's a cyborg, not a robot. The anime makes it seem like he suffers damage that goes down to the levels of his spine and of his neck muscles. If he's still got neck muscles and suffers damage so deep as to reveal them in near full, you can't just say "We replaced the plating! " or some such to get away with it.

That one asshole sowing dissent at the evacuation center ...

One thing I don't understand about the story is the constant contradiction between Saitama's desire to rise up through the ranks and the OP lyrics' bit about how he doesn't care about fame or recognition. The very reason he joined the Hero Association was because he was fed up with not being recognized by the people he saves! So how can the OP lyrics make such a bald-faced lie of a claim like that? And yet ... events in Episode 09 suggest that he does indeed not care about an adoring public ... and yet a multitude of other events in Episode 09 indicate that he does care ... It's very weird, and it's starting to hurt my head to try and rationalize a way in which everything can be accounted for without contradiction. @_@
Old 11-24-2016, 05:36 AM   #66
Connor
Flashbacker

I personally think he wants to rise through the ranks so as not to be second fiddle to Genos in rank. He knows he's stronger - that much is blatantly obvious - but it's clear when the ranks are originally revealed that it irritates him somewhat that Genos is ahead of him.

Of course, this takes a backseat to the fact that ultimately, for Saitama, being a hero is still a hobby. He wants to eclipse Genos in rank, but if it means other heroes end up degraded or the people's faith wavers because of it, he isn't going to gun after it entirely.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #67
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
One thing I don't understand about the story is the constant contradiction between Saitama's desire to rise up through the ranks and the OP lyrics' bit about how he doesn't care about fame or recognition. The very reason he joined the Hero Association was because he was fed up with not being recognized by the people he saves! So how can the OP lyrics make such a bald-faced lie of a claim like that? And yet ... events in Episode 09 suggest that he does indeed not care about an adoring public ... and yet a multitude of other events in Episode 09 indicate that he does care ... It's very weird, and it's starting to hurt my head to try and rationalize a way in which everything can be accounted for without contradiction. @_@
ONE is pretty consistent with how he portrays Saitama. Saitama always deflects praise for his actions as nothing special...because he really thinks of it that way. Recall the quote I posted earlier in this thread (you may have missed it):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE
O: Well.... what I think is cool is a hero that stands up against someone who seems stronger than you. If you knew you were strong, you can just show up regardless of how evil the enemy is , but what's important is if there was someone clearly stronger than you hurting a child, can you stand up against it? I feel that that mentality is what defines a hero, and I thought that zeal would draw readers including myself. Saitama himself wants this zeal as well, but because he's so strong he had this drive taken away from him. But instead, he understands people's feelings, and he can lend his hand to the weak. I'd like to treasure this part of his.
Saitama didn't join the Hero's Association for fame, his real reason was so he wouldn't be mistaken for a criminal and be unable to live his ordinary life. Many for his other reasons for doing things seem mundane, which is part of the humour, but it also illuminates the special path that granted him ultimate power.

Worth noting, that scenario I quote from ONE is exactly the situation faced by Licenseless Rider in Episode 09. That was why Saitama was touched when he realized Licenseless Rider sent the lone thank you message. He got heartfelt thanks from someone doing something he felt was heroic.

Another thing I should note is the Hero's Association, and frankly most of the OPM world, is obsessed with labels and appearances.

Quote:
Was interesting to see Genos brought so close to death ... but vice-versa was really irritating to see the anime just gloss over how he survives and is restored to full health. He's a cyborg, not a robot. The anime makes it seem like he suffers damage that goes down to the levels of his spine and of his neck muscles. If he's still got neck muscles and suffers damage so deep as to reveal them in near full, you can't just say "We replaced the plating! " or some such to get away with it.
He's like 99% robot. For all intents and purposes, the only thing human about him is his human mind. He might even have a robotic brain. I don't remember if it was earlier or something, but Saitama tells Genos something along the lines of "because you are mechanical, there's a limit to how you can improve as a fighter" which leads to Genos getting a series of progressive upgrades from Dr. Kuseno.

Now that I think about it, that probably happened before Saitama and Genos' duel. Genos was able to tie Mosquito Girl (an average Demon-level threat) early in the series, and summarily beat Armoured Gorilla (another average Demon).

His fight against the Deepsea King is misleading, and it goes to show what becomes a recurring theme in this story: people rely too much on labels. The Hero's Association is not omnipotent, and they tend to underestimate the threat posed by monsters.

The Deepsea King was classified as a Demon-level threat. By strength, Demon-level threats should be beatable by teams of average A-class heroes, and be solo'd by S-class or upper A-class. Dragon-level threats should be faced by teams of average S-class or solo'd by the very top of the S-class, the strongest heroes on Earth.

Obviously, the Deepsea King was not a Demon. He completely outclassed Lightning Max and Stinger, and then obliterated Pri Pri Prisoner, the weakest S-class. But the real tell was Genos was less than a match for the transformed Deepsea King but could tie him in his dehydrated form.

According to ONE, Genos is actually one of the upper tier S-class in terms of power. Which means the Deepsea King was definitely a Dragon-level threat. This helps show you how much stronger Genos has gotten over the course of the series since Asura Rhino (or Carnage Kabuto) was also a Dragon-level threat, and he dominated Genos earlier in the series.

Genos jobs so much against non-cybernetic enemies it's probably intended as a joke, but he's a good guy and is legitimately strong. Just really unlucky he has to face super powerful monsters all the time.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 11-24-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #68
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Finished the first season. The final story arc was okay -- better for the characters' interpersonal developments than for the plot.

It was only a matter of time before the plot turned to "Saitama vs. Someone Else's Saitama." It could have been his evil clone, it could have been an alien world's strongest warrior, it could have been a newly-introduced character from Earth who just so happens to rival Saitama in power, it could even have been the original hero around whom the Hero Association was founded ... In the end, the author chose to go with the alien world route, and we get our fight between Saitama and an alien "Saitama" who is his corner of the galaxy's strongest and undefeated warrior.

Never in doubt was the outcome. There was just no way they would kill Saitama off this quickly, or even have him face defeat. Temporary setbacks like being blasted to the Moon, sure, but nothing qualifying as defeat proper.

In doubt was whether or not the author would have Saitama's alter be someone requiring more than one punch to defeat or not. In the end, the answer proved to be "Yes, he does require more than one punch to defeat." Not only does Saitama throw a number of soft punches at him (the sort that crushed Sonic's balls in an earlier episode), but he throws a number of more serious punches at him too (the sort that obliterated earlier foes). It's not until Saitama unleashes his "ultimate attack" that the villain is defeated.

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, can we really say he's still "One Punch Man" if he's encountered a threat that he couldn't defeat in a single punch? No one's denying he's unbelievably strong. But the fact remains: he's no longer "One Punch Man." On the other hand, I think it is requisite to have an enemy take more than one punch if you're going to try and convince us that he's Saitama's equal or near equal.

Tatsumaki continues to be cute and fun. I enjoy her interactions with the other characters, though I am a little irritated that she places so much stock in official rank and that she doesn't seem able to realize that Saitama isn't really a B-class hero.

Amai Mask is starting to be established as Lawful Evil, someone whose "justice" is ruthless, without compassion.

Metal Knight feels like a red herring. I feel like the one who actually killed Genos's parents is the guy who gave Genos the tip about Metal Knight. What's his name again? The robot/cyborg with the cyclopean red eye and the purple hair. I'm betting that he's really the bad guy.

The argument between Amai Mask and the other S-class heroes is another spot of welcome philosophy. I appreciate the author's thoughts on the topic.

I'm not the least bit surprised, but I am glad to see that Saitama turned down the Hero Association's invitation to live at HQ and instead is still living at his apartment in Z-City.

The alien telepath who claimed to be one of the greatest telepaths in the galaxy ... either he's full of shit, he's really stupid, or the author messed up. Because c'mon, guys: why wouldn't the greatest telepath, one who has already established he's capable of entering Saitama's thoughts intrusively, not use his telekinetic powers to just fry Saitama's brain? What was all that nonsense about a cyclone of debris? He shoulda just gone in there and turned Saitama's brain to mush. (And if the author had wanted to then argue, "Well no, he can't do that, because Saitama's resistant to that sort of attack! ", then a) we could have had that in writing and b) that could have been further explored down the road.)

The warrior with multiple heads reminded me of Youpi from Hunter x Hunter. Similar voice and behavior.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #69
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Nothing more about the S-class fight versus Melzalgald?

Quote:
The warrior with multiple heads reminded me of Youpi from Hunter x Hunter. Similar voice and behavior.
Actually, Melzalgald's voice is that of the Chimera Ant King.

Quote:
I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, can we really say he's still "One Punch Man" if he's encountered a threat that he couldn't defeat in a single punch? No one's denying he's unbelievably strong. But the fact remains: he's no longer "One Punch Man." On the other hand, I think it is requisite to have an enemy take more than one punch if you're going to try and convince us that he's Saitama's equal or near equal.
Now, questions like this were my biggest fear with the anime adaption. That people would buy into the series as a serious one about power-levels, and not an action-gag anime like Gintama (which is what the webcomic is!).

The anime comes across as too serious compared with either manga adaption, even though it's using some of the same jokes as the originals. Not all the same jokes, but 80% of them are there, with poor comedic timing.

Anyway, the answer is: Saitama hits a lot of things that don't die in one hit, like ordinary mosquitoes or Sonic's sack o' potatoes. His power varies depending on the needs of the joke. If he goes all out with an attack it's certain destruction.

Also...Saitama didn't actually need to use a serious punch versus Boros. He did so only out of respect for Boros, who distinguished himself from previous enemies by recognizing Saitama was strong, not making fun of his appearance and throwing everything he had into the fight.

Quote:
The alien telepath who claimed to be one of the greatest telepaths in the galaxy ... either he's full of shit, he's really stupid, or the author messed up. Because c'mon, guys: why wouldn't the greatest telepath, one who has already established he's capable of entering Saitama's thoughts intrusively, not use his telekinetic powers to just fry Saitama's brain? What was all that nonsense about a cyclone of debris? He shoulda just gone in there and turned Saitama's brain to mush. (And if the author had wanted to then argue, "Well no, he can't do that, because Saitama's resistant to that sort of attack! ", then a) we could have had that in writing and b) that could have been further explored down the road.)
This has actually been a matter of debate for a while, who is stronger, Geluganship or Tatsumaki? The only one that's bigger is whether or not Boros is considered the Diaster Level God.

You find out through the extra materials, and in one case later in the series, that most of the Mysterious Beings Saitama killed early in the series were either Demon or Dragon-level threats. The story implies this at times, like with Carnage Kabuto, but doesn't outright say it.

Given this, there's a tendency to see the guys Saitama plow through as weak. Gloryverse was much stronger than Melzalgald and would have had much more success against the S-class team than Melzalgald did. It wouldn't be a surprise if Geluganship is the same.

Also worth noting: the psychic tornado Geluganship used against Saitama is the ultimate attack of Tatsumaki, from which she derives her name. So I would guess they're about equivalent.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 11-29-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Somebody made a One Punch Man doujin where Genos is female. To find it, look for:
(ONE→HUNDRED 5) [TK-Brand (凪まゆこ)] うちの弟子♀(19)が帰ってくれない。 (ワンパンマン)
There's no sex, nor is there any nudity that would get you into trouble. The closest it comes is one page with partial nudity where Genos's clothes get shredded, and even then what's showing are parts of her body that, were she a real human, still wouldn't be censored in either America or Japan.

On the contrary, it's actually a pretty adorable, lovey-dovey "What if ...?" doujin that asks the question, "What if Genos had been a girl instead of a guy?" and then proceeds to answer it. It replicates several of the scenes shown in the earlier episodes leading up to Genos's moving in with Saitama, and then diverges into mostly novel territory. Both are fun to see.

Not sure if it's available in English yet, but given how cute it is I imagine it soon will be if it's not already.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #71
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

BORKED
Bill Burr talks about One Punch Man

I knew about some of the social commentary in OPM, but he got a few I didn't notice.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #72
Connor
Flashbacker

Beautiful.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #73
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's surprisingly spot-on when you know ONE's history. Lately, things have been even more heavy handed with would-be salarymen criticizing corporate Japan through anime. The expats aside (Maruyama, Zen) you have shows like Classicaloid where the main message is adult life demands ruin childhood creativity.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #74
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Loki's right in that OPM 2 isn't as well animated as S1, but for a normal anime I don't think I'd notice since it's pretty on-model.

That said, I don't remember Garou killing people. Wasn't the whole point of his character to be a fake?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-23-2019, 10:01 PM   #75
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

He does brutally beat up the people in the conference where the heroes ask villains/criminals for help. It doesn't explicitly state them as dead in the manga. This is like 60 chapters ago so it's a bit hard to remember. I don't remember if he's never killed anyone or just never killed an innocent person (i.e. the kid).

While I fully believe the new season definitely has worse animation and art, I'm also include poorer cinematography into that statement. So many of the scenes are done flatly, like Star Wars Prequels George Lucas was the director. It really feels like this season's director is lazy and just doing a 1:1 translation of the manga and manga doesn't work as animation. These need to be changed up to make scenes more exciting and such.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime