UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #151
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

Meh,
Quote:
"Kid," I wanna tell whoever made this macro, "you can dress a pig up as a woman. You can put a dress on it, and a wig, and lipstick. But it's still going to be a pig. And to be honest with you, it's going to look a hell of a lot stupider than a regular pig would look."
Finally, someone said something about Jynx and its horrid appearance! :P

Though as Kuno said, there are almost no awesome Ice-types. Hell, the only Ice-type that really stands out to me is Lapras. Though what Ice-type 4th gen pokemon is good? Abomasnow? Meh. Glaceon? blech. Mamoswine? *holds back vomit*

All generations had their horrid Pokemon. Gen I had the Magnimite Line, Oddish Line, Caterpie line, etc. While Gen V had the Ice cream pokemon and.....uh....just the Ice Cream Pokemon.

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
CyberBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #152
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Mamoswine grows on you if you use him competitively. Hella fun to use. But even if you're only coming at this from a design perspective, Mamoswine is still better than either Piloswine (WTF) or Swinub. I thought Piloswine looked pretty stupid myself (*cue Zora rage*), but Mamoswine's a vast improvement and makes me accepting about that species line overall.

Glaceon is really awesome in terms of design. I don't know why it gets so much flak around these parts. Sadly it has a crappy movepool, but that's neither here nor there. Pretty nice stats -- at least it isn't Gens 1-3 Flareon -- and a very charming design make Glaceon one of my top Eeveelutions overall. (Everyone has their own preferences. I'd say that in terms of design alone, it's probably Jolteon >= Glaceon >= Leafeon > Espeon > Flareon > Vaporeon > Umbreon. And I think we all know how that's going to go over with most of you Umbreon-hugging kids. I like Umbreon well enough too. I just ... don't dig those stupid yellow circles. >_> Not a fan of its blood-red eyes either.)

>Oddish line

What. You don't like Vileplume?

OPINION DISMISSED.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of reading the rest of your post.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #153
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Mamoswine grows on you if you use him competitively. Hella fun to use. But even if you're only coming at this from a design perspective, Mamoswine is still better than either Piloswine (WTF) or Swinub. I thought Piloswine looked pretty stupid myself (*cue Zora rage*), but Mamoswine's a vast improvement and makes me accepting about that species line overall.

Glaceon is really awesome in terms of design. I don't know why it gets so much flak around these parts. Sadly it has a crappy movepool, but that's neither here nor there. Pretty nice stats -- at least it isn't Gens 1-3 Flareon -- and a very charming design make Glaceon one of my top Eeveelutions overall. (Everyone has their own preferences. I'd say that in terms of design alone, it's probably Jolteon >= Glaceon >= Leafeon > Espeon > Flareon > Vaporeon > Umbreon. And I think we all know how that's going to go over with most of you Umbreon-hugging kids. I like Umbreon well enough too. I just ... don't dig those stupid yellow circles. >_> Not a fan of its blood-red eyes either.)

>Oddish line

OPINION DISMISSED.

No, I don't like Vileplume, besides my opinion is more valid than yours,

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
CyberBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #154
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh, well when you put it that way ...

no.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #155
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Froslass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBlastoise View Post
Though as Kuno said, there are almost no awesome Ice-types.
Huh? There's a bunch of awesome ice types. I said that the gen5 ice types are all bad. I like almost all the ice types except like... Glaceon and the new ones.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #156
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Quote:
>Oddish line

OPINION DISMISSED.
I can actually agree with Talon for once!

Vileplume is wonderful.

Oh right contributing to conversation.

I uh... only really dislike Alomomola and Basculin. But I'm sure if I used them my opinion of them would rise significantly.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #157
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
Even though I like Tentacruel and Crobat, GSC made me loathe Zubat and Tentacool.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #158
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copygoo View Post
I uh... only really dislike Alomomola and Basculin. But I'm sure if I used them my opinion of them would rise significantly.
I have to say that I agree with this (hence why neither are on my ASB Gym team). Alomomola is basically Luvdisc and Blissey put in a blender in terms of both looks and moveset, making it a bit of a waste. An Ocean Sunfish could have been much more awesome in Pokémon form.

I liked Basculin when I first saw it, but was left thorougly underwhelmed as soon as the games came out. It's basically Carvanha sans Dark-type and again, could've been much better.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #159
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBlastoise View Post
Meh,

Finally, someone said something about Jynx and its horrid appearance! :P

Though as Kuno said, there are almost no awesome Ice-types. Hell, the only Ice-type that really stands out to me is Lapras. Though what Ice-type 4th gen pokemon is good? Abomasnow? Meh. Glaceon? blech. Mamoswine? *holds back vomit*

All generations had their horrid Pokemon. Gen I had the Magnimite Line, Oddish Line, Caterpie line, etc. While Gen V had the Ice cream pokemon and.....uh....just the Ice Cream Pokemon.
You don't like the Magnemite line? Or Bellossom? Or Butterfree? AND GLACEON!!!

You sir, are wrong. Take it all back, now.

I can honestly say that I like Vannilite, and its evolutions suck. Cryogonal is cool-looking, as well as Beartic. Kyurem.....needs some work.

Amlofmlollmmola looks like a pink puffy bruise, but Basculin is kick-ass looking. A HELL of a lot better looking the Stunfisk.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #160
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
A HELL of a lot better looking the Stunfisk.

Stunfisk? DID YOU SAY STUNFISK?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #161
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Nothing looks better than Stunfisk.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #162
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Nothing looks better than Stunfisk.
Not even Sharpedo? Or Wailord?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #163
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
>Oddish line

OPINION DISMISSED.

Sigged for win.

Now, back on topic.
Whoops, made a mistake. You're right, they're frowning, not smiling. The main point I was trying to make is that they're not crying.

Obligatory remark about Umbreon's rings making sense when you know what an Umb is go here (It's a yellow circle around the moon, for those who don't know. Sailors say that when you see it, you count how many stars are inside it, and that's how many days until a storm hits).

This whole page can be summed up as 'Everyone has wildly different tastes and opinions'. There would be a lot less flaming if people started putting 'imop' at the end of their posts and realized not everyone shares their views. With that done...

*Brofists Tdos and Dave*
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #164
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The problem with justifying a character design -- particularly an older character design like a Gen 2 creature's -- with their English name is that the creators/designers of the Pokémon had NO knowledge nor concern for what this creature was going to be called in English. "Umbreon" is so named for umbr- "shadow," not for umb "obscure European sailor term I doubt anyone at NoA knew or cared about." But its Japanese name of Blackie has nothing to do with either shadows or sailor terminology: it refers, clearly, to the dark which Dark-types are supposedly associated with.

This point is actually very relevant in deconstructing a number of English fanbase misconceptions or misunderstandings. "Why does Wobbuffet always pop out of his Pokéball?" "Because he's saying 'That's right!' and his timing makes it funny." "Why doesn't Waterfall make a waterfall the way Surf makes a tidal wave?" "Because the move is called 'go up a waterfall,' not 'Waterfall'." "Why does Swift always make stars?" "Because its name is 'Speed Star'." So on and so forth. Before making a theory about why some Pokemon or some move is the way that it is, always, always, always consider the original name first.

Not sure why that's sig material, but w/e. ^^; I love Vileplume. With GSC I had my "Bellossum is better" phase but I snapped out of that by Gen 3.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #165
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Ah, that's true. Forgot about that. But I still think that GF gave them the circles due to the existance of the Umb- they seem to know quite a few more obscure facts than people give them credit for.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #166
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
*Brofists Tdos and Dave*
No, no, you've got it all wrong. I HATE Stunfisk. It's probably the only Pokemon I HATE.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #167
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
No, no, you've got it all wrong. I HATE Stunfisk. It's probably the only Pokemon I HATE.
You still get a brofist for only hating one pokemon.
Quote:
Old 11-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #168
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
My least favorite Pokemon has to be Bibarel. Its face is so...ugh. Don't really hate any Gen V, except Sigilyph and Swoobat.

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!

Last edited by Celebii151; 08-28-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Sigilyph is now awesome in my eyes
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #169
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebii151 View Post
My least favorite Pokemon has to be Bibarel. Its face is so...ugh. Don't really hate any Gen V, except Sigilyph and Swoobat.
Swoobat was bad, but Sigilyph is pretty cool in my opinion.

A horrible Pokemon: Magmar line. Other than Magby.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #170
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

But Bibarel is a Bibarel! How can you hate it? It's Bibarel!
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #171
Hanatori
Skippy.

Vileplume Vileplume sez: Don't be hatin'.

I keep wanting to post in this thread to say that I don't hate any Pokemon, but then realize that feeling raging apathy at worst towards any Pokemon just doesn't make for terribly spirited discussion. tungsten

(PS: I would sorta like Chingling if it didn't seem like a thoroughly unnecessary baby 'mon (someone feel free to prove me wrong on this, because something feels wrong here), I constantly forget about the existence of something called "Dialga" and Reshiram is very mildly overdesigned. Lose a couple feather-spikes, pal.)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #172
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatori View Post
I keep wanting to post in this thread to say that I don't hate any Pokemon, but then realize that feeling raging apathy at worst towards any Pokemon just doesn't make for terribly spirited discussion. tungsten

(PS: I would sorta like Chingling if it didn't seem like a thoroughly unnecessary baby 'mon (someone feel free to prove me wrong on this, because something feels wrong here), I constantly forget about the existence of something called "Dialga" and Reshiram is very mildly overdesigned. Lose a couple feather-spikes, pal.)
So you're a fan of Space Penis then?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #173
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

No, but my memecatching tendencies mean I forget about it a bit less often than Dialga. [/seriousanswer]

Talon: 4chanatori.
Hana: Well, it's an honest answer.

I seem to have a similar problem with Solrock and Lunatone--I frequently forget the latter exists but happen to like the former.

Zora: Obviously it's because Solrock is the superior Pokemon, and I am a superior trainer of Solrocks.
Hana: When the hell did you get here?

Last edited by Hanatori; 11-02-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Hanatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:14 AM   #174
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I must say I quite hate Pikachu. Its design isn't aesthetically pleasing to me, its movepool is not very good, and it has this undeserved fame to the point where it seems everybody loves it.

Otherwise, I don't like Goldeen (but Seaking is nice), I rather dislike Probopass, and Watchog annoys me to high hell. I dislike Gyarados' popularity, but not him in general. Regigigas sucked as a trio master to the Regis who are, in my opinion, fairly epic. I dislike Froslass only in comparison to Glalie, because I love Glalie.

Of course, I actually like the ice cream, Paras, Tangela, and Nosepass, so take my opinion with a line of salt.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #175
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I actually used to hate Pikachu too, as it's all non-pokemon players ever talked about.

Then I saw it's Platinum Sprite, played Pokepark, and few other things which made me realize how cute it is.
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON