UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #6751
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

On the subject of Haruhi and rewatches, I'm planning to host a Haruhi stream next week during my spring break. Doing the full series in broadcast order (including Endless Eight *shot*).
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #6752
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Forcing Endless Eight in one sitting strikes me as a bad idea. I guarantee you people won't be paying attention during it -- they'll either chat in the chat room or else silently step away to do something else. Which is a shame, really, since the entire point of living through that story arc is to be able to relate to the hell that Yuki went through.

Also appreciating how Mikuru's hysterics amplify.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #6753
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Forcing Endless Eight in one sitting strikes me as a bad idea. I guarantee you people won't be paying attention during it -- they'll either chat in the chat room or else silently step away to do something else. Which is a shame, really, since the entire point of living through that story arc is to be able to relate to the hell that Yuki went through.

Also appreciating how Mikuru's hysterics amplify.
I think it's easier to do in one sitting, which is how I watched it in the first place. Honestly it's more for shits and giggles just to say I did it as a troll and seeing the initial reactions from unsuspecting first-timers. I'll probably break the series up over a few days anyway so I'll designate one block to E8 in case people don't want to attend. I'll only advertise it as the most epic arc ever.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #6754
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

I'll definitely try to be there when I can, but my spring break isn't for three weeks (including this one) so it'll only be after school and soccer. Luckily my afternoons won't be as packed after this weekend.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #6755
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
One Punch Man (mentioned earlier as a series I've re-read at least three times already) is getting an anime soon by Satellite. This is great news for me, provided it gets a budget to faithfully emulate the high-quality of the manga. In the greater anime-sphere however, people are complaining because it'll open up the manga to "secondaries", i.e. make it more popular with obnoxious casuals.

I don't disagree, but I don't care. OPM will indeed probably end up the next biggest thing in anime, like Shingeki no Kyojin. But the manga has some satirical bite to it and is insidiously funny at times in ways I don't think younger folks will appreciate fully. Stuff like this.

I also don't think some of the anime-style chapter jokes will translate over either, or they'll elicit tons of rage. I hope people will just calm the fudge down if they are replicated!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #6756
Sparkbeat

Finished Hataraku Maou-sama tonight. I thought it was pretty great. The comedy was on for me most of the time, the characters worked really well together, it had good animation, etc. Only gripes would be the predictability of a few things, mainly in the last little arc, but even though it wad fairly predictable, it was still really enjoyable. Then there were a good few scenes with high amounts of cheese, but cheese is pretty forgivable as long as it's not too strong and somewhat sparse.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #6757
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkbeat View Post
Finished Hataraku Maou-sama tonight. I thought it was pretty great. The comedy was on for me most of the time, the characters worked really well together, it had good animation, etc. Only gripes would be the predictability of a few things, mainly in the last little arc, but even though it wad fairly predictable, it was still really enjoyable. Then there were a good few scenes with high amounts of cheese, but cheese is pretty forgivable as long as it's not too strong and somewhat sparse.
Our thread for it, if you'd like the time capsule and the chance it provides you to see our intense thoughts on each week's episode.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #6758
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I might drop Binan Kokou. It's just so damn dull that when I'm about to watch an episode, I just think "I DON'T WANNA!". It's a pretty big letdown, since I was looking forward to watching a mahou shounen show.

VN translators like to sneak in finished translations while you're not paying attention. I gave up on Eden due to jingoistic Minori bullshit, and I'm suddenly greeted with a "IT'S FINISHED!". Now it's Ore no Imouto and Majikoi. I might not touch the Ore no Imouto VN, but it has gathered quite a bit of attention. I intend on trying Majikoi at the very least. I didn't suspect either of them, due to the translators jumping ship. I guess other translators picked up where the original translators left off!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #6759
Sparkbeat

Welp, since I was sick yesterday and didn't go to school, I was looking for something to watch during repair times in KanColle. I was going to check out Non Non Biyori, but for some reason whenever I tried to watch the first episode on Crunchyroll, Chrome's Shockwave plugin crashed. But it only did that for Non Non Biyori, so I ended up watching Is the Order a Rabbit? instead. Finished it a few minutes ago, and it was a really cute show. Pretty standard stuff, but fun anyways. Chino and Rize were adorable :3
Old 03-14-2015, 10:15 PM   #6760
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The only thing I know about Non Non Biyori is it's famous for a 9 year old girl going through precocious puberty.

Apparently she has a really endearing personality.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-15-2015, 12:04 AM   #6761
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I really liked the novelist in Gochuumon. It's such a shame that she wasn't a main character. Coffee powered blondie was amusing too.

For Non Non Biyori, it's most famous for this.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #6762
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't really have any disposable income, but man oh man is this tempting. Did not realize that they are four inches tall. (Thought they were more like one to two inches.)

Also: all eleven Haruhi novels in Japanese for $29.99 plus free shipping if you order in the next three hours. O_o Kinda amazed he's offering free shipping. The shipping fees alone on eleven light novels would be in the neighborhood of ten dollars, I want to say, so to be able to get all eleven books for just $29.99 would be a steal. My only reasons for not pouncing on this offer myself are:
  1. no discretionary income
  2. I already own Vols. 1-9 in Japanese
  3. "age-tanned" ^^;
But if you don't mind #3 and if #1 and #2 don't apply to you, then there you go.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #6763
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

20th Century Boys

Re-reading this because I forgot, and it's incredibly - stupidly - long. I hated 20CB the first time around but I was also pretty green when I first read it, and went in with an intent to hate it. Now, I just see it as largely dumb in a lot of places.

I still think Urasawa is an over-rated hack as a writer, but his art is definitely high quality. He can also make you rage, but I wonder how much of that is in fact lifted from the writers he's copying from.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-22-2015, 03:13 AM   #6764
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

20th Century Boys

I'm only half-way through. It's gotten real tedious.

I saw through most of Urasawa's tricks but forgot to look back and correctly predict Friend's identity. I knew who he was from last time but forgot his name.

The manga is really dumb at times, but to it's credit it doesn't try to portray itself as ingenious in the same way Steins;Gate did. So, I have less rage toward the dumb stuff, and more annoyance with a little amusement.

Like this scene, circa PRESENT DAY (2015) NEVADA:

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-23-2015, 01:24 AM   #6765
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

It's well past that time again, but with so few shows under my radar this season, I haven't been paying much attention. What time, you say? IT'S TIME FOR A NEW SEASON'S ANIME CHART! Here ya'll goes. I personally think it looks alot better than the current season. Onto shows that are under my radar:

UBW 2nd Season: Holy fuck, it's already time for this? Time sure does fly, eh?

Grisaia no Rakuen: They're still doing this? Why? The studio showed they have no intention on trying, so why? I also heard it bombed saleswise. Not watching this BTW. Season 1 made me sick to my stomach.

Hello! Kiniro Mosaic: Admittedly, season 1 bored the shit out of me, and I dropped it right before the last episode, but Kongou convinced me to give the show another shot.

Hibike! Euphoniom: I.....I don't know. The cover is pretty, but it's Kyoto, and I don't believe in anything they're doing anymore. I might watch it, I might not. Only time will tell.

Houkago no Pleiades: How long has Gainax done something? Looks like a more serious show.....Serious non-action nonsense done by Gainax? Somehow I think the preview picture is telling a lie! I'll give it a look.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid: Sure, why not? Really late to be continuing with Nanoha after all these years, but let's see what they can do!

Nagato Yuki-chan no Shushitsu: Haruhi done by someone other than pre-K-on Kyoto, eh? Well Statelight is probably better than current Kyoto, so it's the best we can expect for now, I guess! I'll give it a shot.

Show by Rock!: Admittedly, I'm only interested because it looks cute. I'll likely drop after a few episodes.

I'm A Frog S2: Now we have season 2 of the best anime since early 2013! Let's hope it lives up to the first season!

Littlewitch Romanesque
I have read a bit into the VN. It's actually a bit of a chore to read. So far, it's a bunch of uninteresting SoL scenes and harem building. It's cute and all that, but cute can only get you so far. I hope there's a decent plot underneath all this, because I am often finding myself wanting to do something else after only a few minutes of reading.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:32 PM   #6766
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

20th Century Boys

Chapter 181

I'm making fair progress. But man is this manga really dumb. Not painful dumb. But dumb.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #6767
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

20th Century Boys

My younger self seems to have been spot-on in hating this title. Not only did it go on too long, it was dumb to the bitter end and had a horrible ending.

Urasawa's manga relies far too heavily on nostalgia and music references to appeal to the madding crowd. It's quite shallow and silly, and definitely nowhere near a masterpiece story.

Spoiler: show

I hate that my strongest emotion in the series is a distaste for Kiriko. Kiriko, who kept her true love/childhood friend at arm's length until he was murdered, then let Friend take her virginity during her 'mourning' period is infuriating. I don't think that any real women behave like this, since it's written in a very misogynistic way.

Like BPK, I think I can get around the idea that the manga should have been shorter. Things got really weird after 2015. But even if the manga ended in 2015, I still wouldn't have held it in that high esteem because it was so dumb right until the bitter end.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-27-2015, 12:48 AM   #6768
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

>New Nanoha

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS MY THIRST FOR MAGICAL GIRL WARFARE CANNOT BE SATED
Also Vivio as protag thank you thank you thank you

>Mikagura Anime

Well the art looks a bit better than the images I saw of it before but... Still apprehensive.

>Dungeon

Oh hey it's an RPG-style fantasy anime thank goodne-
*Reads description*
...Is it too much to ask for a single RPG-style fantasy that isn't harem crap? Really? How many years will it take them to attempt to mirror the epic storytelling of RPG games? (Disclaimer: My Opinion™, of course)

>Plastic Memories

Well this sounds like pain. Sign me up I suppose.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #6769
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Too busy and backlogged to really want to watch much of any Spring 2014 offerings. But I think I will want to watch Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu, so my catalog for the next three months will probably be:
  • Pokémon XY
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders: Egypt Arc
  • Sailor Moon Crystal
  • The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
  • OreGairu
  • Hikaru no Go
  • backlog
Priorities on the backlog include many films and OAVs, but also the epic, much loved Prisma Ilya 2wei as well as the not-yet-seen ufotable Unlimited Blade Works. Really just don't have the time for new 7/10s or even 8/10s right now. =\

Will look into P.A.Works' and KyoAni's offerings but haven't heard anything yet so am not expecting the greatest. =|
Old 03-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #6770
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

>Mikagura

Let's see if this does any better than MCA.

>Nagato Yuki-chan

I'm just going to watch this for ItsuHaru. (he looks so cute and sad and helpless in the PV I can't)

>Grisaia

Hahaha. ...Will probably watch anyway to see how many pantsu they squeeze in.

I'll also be continuing UBW and checking out the new Digimon. Aside from that, the only other thing that catches my eye is Houkago no Pleiades, simply because stars. Not really interested in Kyo-Ani's next moe band show, though I liked the cute glasses girl saying "Come on! Join us!" in Engrish during the PV.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:56 AM   #6771
Sparkbeat

So with my Spring Break being this week and since I've been really in the mood to rewatch it since it's been six months and I'm weak, I'm going to try to set up something like Yuki's done a few times and stream Lucky Star! I'll probably try to do something like 6 Episodes a day across four days (Probably with the OVA thrown in at the end) in the upcoming week, and my schedule's pretty lenient, so if any of you are interested in watching or rewatching it with me, tell me some times that'd work for you. Also say whether you'd rather watch the sub or dub, since I'm fine with either.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #6772
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Littlewitch Romanesque
Nope! Can't do this anymore! The gameplay element of this game is just too crippling to keep going with this. The minigame is kind of fun, but when you have to do it 75+ times just to get on a character route (a brief character route, I might add), I just don't think it's worth it. Even moreso when the characters just aren't that interesting.

Not sure what journey I'll go through next. There's Majikoi, but eh. Seems like too big of a time investment for now.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #6773
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Doblo el posto!

Yoru no Yatterman
Picked this up because of a recommendation. I have never watched the Yatterman series, but I do recognize the heroes from it. This show comes from a different, and more interesting perspective. Actually much more interesting. It's from the perspective of the descendents of the villains from Yatterman. Anyway, I have watched 3 episodes of this, and I am almost in love with the show. It's such a warm, sweet, and fun show. I can't believe I almost passed this show up. I would probably appreciate it even more if I saw Yatterman, which I might watch later on.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:50 AM   #6774
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

So recently I've started reading Fairy Tail, cause some of my friends are really into it and I wanted to sort of know what they were actually talking about. So I borrowed some Fairy Tail off them and started reading it.

At first I was a little bit ehh on it, I think that it took a little longer than I would have liked to get interesting. But pretty much from Erza's introduction it managed to sink its hooks into me and now I'm up to volume 27 and I am just devouring it. So while it can be a little too fanservicey for my liking, Mashima really likes to draw dem big ol' titties, its been a really enjoyable shonen manga so far.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #6775
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I want made-for-TV Usagi Drop Season 2.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime