UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 03-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #326
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hahaha, this is pretty awesome. Courtesy of former Jeopardy! contestant Ken Jennings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Jennings
If Congress defunds public TV, I hope Mr. Rogers rises from the grave as a cardigan-wearing zombie and eats all their brains.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #327
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Um ... wow. So, Loki showed me this Youtube video of a girl who exemplifies the dark side of religion. I pointed out to Loki, "Perhaps she's just trolling?" But even if she is just a phony zealot and not actually a Christian evangelical nutjob, these people are real and the video frightens and disgusts as intended.

And if she is the real deal? And if she didn't mean for this video to be a shock factor "holy fuck, evangelicals are crazy" video? Then I think you'll all agree with me when I say -- if there is a Hell, this young one has got the fast ticket to it.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #328
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

BORKED
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #329
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I told a friend of mine I had for him the single biggest threat to religion and linked him to this video. A Roman Catholic, he agreed, made a few comments, and then pointed out that she called Lent "Lentil Season." So I told him that I had considered with a friend (Loki) that she may just be faking it and trolling people. His response was better than I could have mustered for you guys: "Yeah, either way she's clearly a sociopath. probably 50/50 either way." This is so, so true. Either way, she's fucking nuts and scary. Just for different reasons. In one, she's the embodiment of 4chan. In the other, she's the embodiment of Heaven's Gate. Either way, you don't want her babysitting your kids.

Then later on AIM, Loki and I discussed the likelihood that she's trolling some more:
me: Someone wrote on her Youtube wall
me: "Long time subscriber here. Congratulations on finally going viral. Your satire is always spot on. Thank you so much for the continuous laughter."
me: So this would certainly seem to speak to it being the case that she is a sociopathic troll and not a sociopathic evangelical.
me: Then again, unless she confided in that user and told him, "Yes, I am being satirical," there's really no way for him to know.
me: The only way to know something is satire is to have the person tell you.
Loki: heh
me: Otherwise, you have to wonder things like, "Well what if Jonathan Swift was really advocating for the rich to eat poor Irish babies?" I mean, it's stupid to think he wasn't being satirical, obviously, but the possibility that he was being serious would have existed were it not for his having to tell a frightened public, "I was making a point. -_-;"
Loki: lol
me: So I mean, this fan of hers could think she's the world's greatest troll against evangelical Christianity when in fact he's admiring, unbeknownst to him, the world's biggest evangelical.
So I dunno. You decide for yourself. Is she trolling or isn't she? Certainly it's more comforting to think that she is, even though it's still in very poor taste. I guess only time will tell.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #330
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Um ... wow. So, Loki showed me this Youtube video of a girl who exemplifies the dark side of religion. I pointed out to Loki, "Perhaps she's just trolling?" But even if she is just a phony zealot and not actually a Christian evangelical nutjob, these people are real and the video frightens and disgusts as intended.

And if she is the real deal? And if she didn't mean for this video to be a shock factor "holy fuck, evangelicals are crazy" video? Then I think you'll all agree with me when I say -- if there is a Hell, this young one has got the fast ticket to it.
"Hey, she's kind of cute, I wonder what Talon thought? He'd probably give her a C-"

"Mmm, she's talking about Lent. I can sure relate. She seems pretty devoted to his Holy Majest..."

"...the fudge?"

And then I closed the tab.

Let's not forget that Japanese Catholics were/will be killed in the earthquake/tsunami/fallout, what a dumb bastich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
BORKED
That was funny but I don't buy their argument.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #331
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
...Strange.
Probably going to hell to pick out this among most of the vid:
"Pause the video and get on your knees."
Old 03-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #332
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'm probably going to hell for laughing when the girl said "God took Japan by its shoulder and literally shook it!"

In other news, lets singalong while this guy sings the national anthem.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #333
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
That was funny but I don't buy their argument.
You don't buy... what exactly? That trolls were trolling trolls? Or that cannibal trolls help stop trolls from trolling other people?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #334
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh wow.

Not surprising: she closed her account. "This channel is no longer available because the user closed their account."

Surprising: the video got taken down before this because of a copyright claim. O_o; "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by LaughAloneTV."

That's pretty weird. I wouldn't have been surprised at all to see that the video had been removed either by the user or by Youtube because of the video's contents. Mind you, I'd even then still have been a little surprised had Youtube been the ones to take it down -- because it was pretty hard to find, in the original video, any explicit evidence of hate speech. Closest she came was wishing for a second disaster to happen some time soon. She wasn't really breaking any laws: she was just reveling in the glory that is a cruel God who makes Himself known through terrible forces. But for the video to be removed not by the user nor by Youtube on the grounds that it was a bad video but by Youtube's automated copyright filter on the grounds that the video content is claimed as copyrighted material by some heretofore unheard of third party ... that's what surprises me.

So: thoughts. Do you guys think LaughAloneTV:
a) is a front for some 4channer who got the video taken down?
b) is affiliated with the girl in the video and had it taken down to drive home the point to people that this was all just a joke?
c) other?

Well, apparently Twitter would suggest that they were affiliated with her (though they deny it now since they never signed her on officially, whatever):
  • "She deserved every hate she got. She gives both christians and athiests a bad name if you think about it. But we have no affiliation."
  • "@squaccs thousands. but not by mistake. We're part of a network. we didnt file a dmca she deleted her account when we were signing her,"
  • "Our heart goes out to everyone who lost their lives in JAPAN."
  • "@Trig0r it was not our intention we actually contacted her but she closed her account when we sent her an invite. Our name should be out."
  • "@squaccs Still not affiliated. She deleted her account. I guess the hate was too much for her. never got to sign her. it's an error."
  • "Don't tweet here much Follow @iSlusho for any questions and updates about anything . PS: I DID IT FOR THE LULZ"

So I went to see iSlusho's Twitter page. Here are some clues from there:
  • "@sedgewick Hey i'm from laughalonetv. It was an error we were trying to monetize and offering her partnership and we were going to donate"
  • "@sedgewick but then she closed her account in fear so thats why it still says removed. she probably got death threats lol."
  • "@sedgewick lol yeah. I put the channel up. We were not using it for a while but it's there now for limited time."
  • "@GodlessAtheist She was not religious. She was an athiest making fun of religious nutjobs pretending to be one. -LATV"

So ... it would seem that this is what happened:
  1. Teenager decides to satirize evangelical crazies. (............. are we certain that's what happened? ^^; )
  2. Trolls discover her. Decide she would be a good addition to their team. Contact her.
  3. Scared shitless by all the hate she got on Youtube, she closes the account. By this time, it's too late: as I pointed out to Loki last night, someone was posting her real-life name and address on her channel for all to see. =\ Typical 4chan vigilantism.
  4. But since these dudes had offered her an invite to join their Youtube team, and since she deleted her channel, I guess it created some sort of glitch on Youtube's part that makes it look like the video got taken down in accordance with a copyright claim by them. Which they fervently deny.

Still, whether she was a troll or not, the video's gone, the channel's dead, and the wreckage has got another troll's name stamped all over it.

And now for our next story ...
Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #335
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Our next story ... is more of the last story. But this is cool. You should all read this. Go, Kotaku! Journalism at its best!

This Woman Just Trolled the Entire Internet
They provided laods of evidence of her intent to troll, including some of the things I'd mentioned in my last post. But I think this last bit is the kicker:

Quote:
In her last video she posted before deleting her account, tamtampamela came clean and admitted she'd been making troll videos for some time now. She said her last video, the one about Japan, pissed off a lot of people, adding, "Which was my intention".
You can watch that video here. In it, she doesn't apologize at all. What a troll. She just tells everyone that she was making troll videos and that, now that she's bitten off more than she can chew (she doesn't quite put it this way XD), she's done making them.

So yeah. I guess that closes the case. My suspicions last night were well-founded, it seems, but like my one buddy wrote -- either way, she's still a sociopath. And she had me wondering whether she was the real deal or not up until the very end, I must admit.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #336
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Troll spotting tips; How to spot the fake religious zealot.

#1: Find someone who's spouting insanely zealoted views praising the deaths of thousands or something similar.
#2: Ask yourself "Have they shown the ability to use a computer?" If the answer is yes, they're probably a troll.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #337
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKjl3YL1eFg

This is the same guy who did the Pokemon BW video from a bunch of months ago. It's so offensive, but so spontaneous.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #338
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Read this.

It'll hit you like a sucker punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinhuanet
China aid to quake-hit Japan continues to rise

BEIJING, March 16 (Xinhua) -- China on Wednesday boosted aid to Japan by announcing the offer of 20,000 tonnes of fuel and additional government donation while the support from the public continued to mount.

The fuel -- 10,000 tonnes of gasoline and 10,000 tonnes of diesel -- will be transported to Japan by China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), parent of PetroChina, and China Petrochemical Corporation (Sinopec), the central government said in a terse report.

Details of the offer are not disclosed. Beijing said it would further provide assistance pending on the request of the Japanese government.

Also Wednesday, an eastern Chinese city followed the lead of other local Chinese governments by donating money to earthquake-hit areas in Japan.

The municipal government of Wenzhou, in east China's Zhejiang Province, will donate 2 million yuan (about 307,692 U.S. dollars) to Ishinomaki, its Japanese sister city in hard-hit Miyagi Prefecture, Wenzhou Mayor Zhao Yide said in a letter of condolence.

Zhao said the government of Wenzhou and its people are sad about loss in Ishinomaki and are concerned about rescue and recovery efforts.

Wenzhou is latest Chinese local government to pledge donations to quake-hit areas in Japan.

Previously, the provincial government of Jilin said it will donate 100,000 U.S. dollars to the prefectural government of Miyagi while the municipal government of Changchun, capital of Jilin, pledged 500,000 yuan to the municipal government of Sendai.

China's Red Cross Society on Tuesday said it had donated 6 million yuan in emergency aid to Japan following last Friday's 9.0-magnitude earthquake and ensuing tsunami that have left thousands dead or missing in northeastern Japan.

China sent a 15-member international rescue team to Japan on Sunday, while the Ministry of Commerce said it will provide 30 million yuan worth of emergency humanitarian assistance.

The first relief package -- composed of 2,000 blankets, 900 cotton tents and 200 emergency lights -- has been delivered.

Chinese President Hu Jintao on Monday offered condolences to Japanese Emperor Akihito, saying the Chinese government and people "stand ready to offer necessary help."

Chinese billionaire and philanthropist Chen Guangbiao is currently in Japan to participate in the rescue operation. He said he would donate cash and emergency medicine.

In China, fund-raisers were held in universities and public plazas over the past few days. Banners with words of support were seen in many places including a sports stadium in Tianjin where a Japanese football team was competing in an Asian Football Confederation Champions League match.

Chinese have mixed feelings about Japan due to the atrocities committed by the Japanese aggressors upon Chinese people during the World War II. But the outpour of support from China's government and public triumphed after the earthquake.

According to a survey conducted by Ji'nan University, based in southern Guangdong Province, 90 percent of the 505 interviewees said they support Chinese government's decision to send a rescue team to Japan. Nearly 70 percent said the move would help the two countries develop better ties.

More than 80 percent of the interviewees also said they are willing to provide various forms of humanitarian assistance to the Japanese.

"When China suffered earthquakes, Japan gave a helping hand. Now, it is time for us to help them," said a Chinese surnamed Liu who participated in the survey.

"The spirit of helping and caring for each other in hard times would undoubtedly draw feelings of closeness between Chinese and Japanese," said Columnist Li Kaisheng.

Morishita, a Japanese national who works for an advertising company in Shanghai, said he received many phone calls from his Chinese colleagues and friends after the earthquake.

Morishita said though his hometown is far from the quake zone, he was moved by the care and concern shown by the Chinese around him.

Hashimoto Tomohiko, who works for Isetan shopping mall in northeast Chinese city of Shenyang, said he was glued to China's news channel these days to learn the latest rescue developments.

Japan's earthquake dominated the front-pages of China's major newspapers and magazines while state television channels and radio stations kept airing the news on the rescue and recovery around the clock.

China's Sina Weibo, a Twitter-like microblogging service, is also flooded by news on Japan's earthquake and the rally of support from Chinese Internet users.

"I feel really sad for the Japanese people," said netizen Weixiaoshao. "I hope they could be adamant and optimistic, as depicted in Japanese cartoons."

In universities in Shanghai and Shenyang, the school authorities consoled students from Japan's quake-hit areas and promised assistance.

Staff of Shanghai-based Fudan University were ordered to provide psychological counselling to Japanese students in need.

Inoue Nozomi, who studies education management at Shenyang Normal University, said many Chinese students came to her to ask how she was faring and the school's teaching staff have told Japanese students not to hesitate in informing the school of their needs and demands.
Source.

Yes, after laughing at that comment, I am indeed burning.

(with an awesome power)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #339
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Anime = Real Life

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #340
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The bit about "like in Japanese cartoons"?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #341
Lady Kuno

Thank you captain obvious.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #342
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If I thought it was obvious, I wouldn't have asked. Instead of snapping at me, why not ask why Doppel posted and had us read the entire Bible when all we needed was a little setup and then the one line?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #343
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The set-up was important. My impression with that impeccably placed line was that the author was trying to (unintentionally?) imply many Chinese only know of Japan through anime. So here you have the Chinese Government doing all this stuff...for reasons like the Japanese helping out the PRC in anime like GaoGaiGar.

Kuno loves Nadesico, he knows how that is. D:
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #344
Lady Kuno

YOU GET TO BURNING

Old 03-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #345
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
The set-up was important.
You want an important setup? Check out "Troi's Baby". The video goes from funny to outright choke on your food HYSTERICAL with the last scene.

Click only after you've watched it.
Spoiler: show
(If you don't recognize him, he's from the infamous scene where Worf makes to "slap a ho" with his fist but Picard orders him to cease. You can check it out here. )
Old 03-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #346
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That was mostly lost on me, Talon. I've only seen select episodes of TOS, I know next to nothing about TNG. The video you showed me came across as terrifying, especially that last scene. o_O

Hmm, not sure if I posted this one before.

What if the final battle between Harry and Voldy was a rap-off?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 03-17-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #347
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Aww, it should have been hysterical. Only terrifying scene could have / should have been the scene of the maggot (or whatever it is, I hear it's from The Fly) that GeneralGrim used for Troy's delivery.

But it's probably not nearly as funny if you don't get the TNG in-jokes, true.

As for yours ... "the boy who survived"!? What the fuck. They only call him "the boy who lived" like twenty different times PER BOOK. How did these Potter fans mess something that simple up!?

"Your wand looks so tiny. / Is that why you couldn't close the deal with Hermione?" I'll admit, that was well-delivered.

LOL @ the end though.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #348
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Lee Jordan was kind of a dope. He was also redundant when he said the "Dark Lord himself" and "heir of Slytherin himself", so I got the impression he flubbed the take and they just ran with it.

Voldemort and Harry's lines were sung by the same actor, so things were a lot more smooth on that end.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 03-18-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #349
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This is why it's important to make sure the person you're about to have sex with is not fucking nuts.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #350
Selena
Aroma Lady

Lol at the "the two are believed to be no longer an item" part.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc