UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 12-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #1
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Meowth OFF: A Nice Game for Cute Children (2008)

From the Wikia:

"OFF is the critically acclaimed French surreal adventure RPG made by Mortis Ghost in 2008. The game was translated into English in 2011 and is considered a gem among indie adventure RPGs. OFF is widely praised for its in-depth and complex story, its rich and immersing environment, and its memorable characters."

The game is available for free download in multiple languages here.

A friend of mine in GW2 (Auto, for those in our guild) recommended this to me. Lord, was he on the money with this one. I wish I could go into more detail about the game, but to do so would ruin the experience, I feel. It is very old-school in its mechanics and style (which is to be expected from a game made in RPG maker), but has its own aesthetic that works well. The game draws inspiration from the likes of killer7, American McGee's Alice and Silent Hill 2.

Also, if you truly believe that this is actually a nice game for cute children... consider who's posting this thread.

FB Member Post
FB Memakyu
FB Affinity Avenue

Credit to Pengyzu for my user bar. Thank you!
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:36 AM   #2
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I've actually played a little of this and its really quite good.

Dammit Marion this is what you said about Spooky's too! *shakes fist*
Old 04-03-2016, 05:21 AM   #3
Emi

*Necrofaces thread*

Having decided to play this again, I had a lot of fun with it. I'm going to go into some spoilers below but I do have one question: has anyone else had the problem of your movement speed suddenly becoming crap? It happened to me just as I entered Area 4 of Zone 3, and I haven't found a way to fix it, and it makes the game a total slog.

Spoiler: show
Purified zones were a totally new experience for me: I think I visited them for about five seconds my last playthrough but didn't realize what they had when I actually went exploring. Secretaries aside (wtf????) its peaceful and spooky. Also cool items. It's really making me question the morality of what myself and the battle are doing. Yes, there were bad things in each zone, but was it worth annihilating everything in it? I don't know.

Definitely a should play imo. It's pretty quick as well, since I've got a good bit done in it seems to be about a night time.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

You inspired me to play more of this game!

It's really a fun and interesting game though it can be kinda tedious due to not really doing much with the RPG maker mechanics.

Other than that though it's really neat! Definitely shows the potential of RPG Maker, provided you deviate extremely from the pre-loaded assets.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
Emi

Yeah I will say the battle system is very, very simple and while its not a really bad thing, it does get a little tedious and boring. But it really is different from other RPGs in its ~aesthetic~ so it balances out.

Where about are you now Jer?
Old 04-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

A good way through Zone 2. I like that I can casually play about 20 minutes of it without really having to commit but still enjoy the 20 surreal minutes I j just spent and feel like I've made progress. Good game design there!

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games