UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 08-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I can play Those Who Fight from the FF7 movie where Tifa and Loz fight in the cathedral.

is that relevant?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I can play Those Who Fight from the FF7 movie where Tifa and Loz fight in the cathedral.

is that relevant?
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #28
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
All I have is a broken Steinway. It's my grandmother's. I'll create a Youtube channel named "grandma's steinway" and upload the video there if you want.

It sounds like shit FREEDOM!?!

HAHA NOPE

it's not quite good enough to leave a lasting record if I ever get better. Livestream might be better?

WHAT IS THIS THEY CHANGED IT AAAAAAH

Last edited by Shuckle; 08-16-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #29
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So basically Blaze called your bluff. haha ^_^;

Shuckle: I never said I could play it well. ()
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #30
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
So basically Blaze called your bluff. haha ^_^;

Shuckle: I never said I could play it well. ()
I can play it well. It's just...not something I want recorded for posterity. There are a couple of problem areas, that's all, and being a perfectionist I couldn't stand them. They probably sound worse to you than to me.

I can play the part of the song people remember, perfectly (Or I could, if...well, let's just say this piano is special). The part of the song that reaches into obscure memory but would be necessary if I ever want to play this song for the person for whom it's their favorite song and they love every bit of it? Yeeeeah, there are parts that just aren't competition ready. I picked it up about a week and a half ago so it's really a matter of ironing the kinks out. I was surprised how easily it was, though.

But if my bluff was that I can play it spot on, not missing a beat, then lol mister you have a.) the wrong guy and b.) the wroooooong piano.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #31
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I can play it well. It's just...not something I want recorded for posterity. There are a couple of problem areas, that's all, and being a perfectionist I couldn't stand them. They probably sound worse to you than to me.

I can play the part of the song people remember, perfectly (Or I could, if...well, let's just say this piano is special). The part of the song that reaches into obscure memory but would be necessary if I ever want to play this song for the person for whom it's their favorite song and they love every bit of it? Yeeeeah, there are parts that just aren't competition ready. I picked it up about a week and a half ago so it's really a matter of ironing the kinks out. I was surprised how easily it was, though.

But if my bluff was that I can play it spot on, not missing a beat, then lol mister you have a.) the wrong guy and b.) the wroooooong piano.
I fail to see how I have the wrong guy when the guy I have admits he can't play the song in full currently. Like, seriously. Help me out here. It seems like you're wanting to shift the accusation from "can't play it" to "can't ever play it." No one ever said that you couldn't ever play it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #32
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Help me figure out how this goddamn livestream works and I'll show you >_<
Old 08-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #33
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I currently have a streaming kit of some kind and a channel. It wants me to create (and announce) a public event, which has me a little leery. Does this mean I'm going to get random passersby, the kind of people who click the "random channel" button?

Basically, I can click the button and the thing will "go live." I have no idea how to make you see the live, though.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #34
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Live. http://new.livestream.com/accounts/5...events/2331082

._. well if you ain't gonna show up

sitting in front of piano is boring. I'll check this thread, post when you're ready.

Last edited by Shuckle; 08-16-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #35
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

It still says you need to log in. I think the problem here is that you're making it an event, which you shouldn't be doing- Just download Procaster, run it, and click 'Go Live'.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #36
Emi

So I'm playing FF XIII again on my Vanille, Sazh, Snow run. Going up to face Mithridates now. Wish me luck, this battle was a complete bone the last time I faced him during Chapter 11 with Lightning, Hope, and Fang.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #37
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
Yeah but you've played like every FF game like 10x :p
Old 09-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #38
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
So I'm playing FF XIII again on my Vanille, Sazh, Snow run. Going up to face Mithridates now. Wish me luck, this battle was a complete bone the last time I faced him during Chapter 11 with Lightning, Hope, and Fang.
... Blaze, are you some kind of masochist? Not just playing through 13, but subjecting yourself to a CHALLENGE RUN? Duuuuuuuuuude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #39
Emi

Quote:
... Blaze, are you some kind of masochist? Not just playing through 13, but subjecting yourself to a CHALLENGE RUN? Duuuuuuuuuude.
In all fairness, the only thing I miss is Hope's defensive buffs. Vanille makes a much better Saboteur than Fang.

And I like XIII so :P
Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #40
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I like XIII
Jesus Christ, these are words I have never seen anyone post on the internet. I cannot even.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #41
Emi

Wow SoS, way to be completely condescending because someone has a different opinion than yours on the Internet. Congratulations, you have managed to NOT distinguish yourself from the other internet jerks.

So, I went against Mithridates and he wasn't all too bad this going around. I had completely forgotten that he was immune to status, so my first battle was just Vanille trying to keep the chain gauge stable. I think my choice of equipment helped greatly, having a Tetradic Tiara on Vanille and Sazh and a Soulfont Talisman on Snow to reduce magical damage while giving everyone Raijin and Fulmen Rings to reduce eletric damage. Mithidates did inflict Deshell and Imperial on Snow, and when he used Levinbolt is OHKOd him, but I was able to come back from that.

I went against Syphax and that was a complete pain in the ass with much healing involved. A boss that can summon ~6 minions and once and can do it consecutively is not okay, especially since Vanille can't learn Aeroga. >_> Can't efficiently status either. So it was just using Relentless to keep it from summoning minions while using Diversity to keep from being overwhelmed from 13+ enemies at once.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #42
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Let's see, my exposure to Final Fantasy...

I've played and beat 1, 4, and 6. I've played and gotten far in 3, 5, 7, 8, and 9. I've dabbled in 2. I own 10 and 12, but I haven't played them (is 12 on PS2 or PS3, BTW?). I can only handle one MMORPG, so no 11 or whatever the other one is. What does that leave, 13? I don't have PS3, so I won't be playing that one.

FF6 is my most favorite game ever made.

As far as side games go, I have Tactics, Tactics Advance, Tactics Advance 2, Revenant Wings, and 4 Heroes of Light. I love all three of the Tactics series, and I wish they'd make more! Revenant Wings is just awful, and I haven't played much of 4 Heroes.

Like Pokémon, I used to follow Final Fantasy games around...getting the latest system to support the games, but unlike everyone else, I can't stand the graphics now. I much prefer the cartoony graphics that were used. FF9 looked the best IMO. I also don't like keying in combinations to get an attack off (just let me confirm that I want to use Tiger Kick or something and so be it). Despite FF6 using combinations with Sabin's attacks, it wasn't in excess.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:54 AM   #43
Emi

FF XIII also came out for the Xbox 360 IIRC, so if you do have that system for another game you should probably pick up XIII as well, even if it is only for the experience. There is very little keying sequence either(it only happens during the Gestalt modes of your summons).

Still on Chapter 11, going to fight the Tonberry. I'm debating how far I want to go into the Faultwarrens on this run. I stopped here on my last run but I really want the potential CP from grinding against Flowering Cactuars. If I beat the Tonberry I should be able to get somewhat far, obviously avoiding stuff that is completely out of my league like the Neochu. Hmmm, its a debacle I'm not sure of yet.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #44
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Wow SoS, way to be completely condescending because someone has a different opinion than yours on the Internet. Congratulations, you have managed to NOT distinguish yourself from the other internet jerks.
I cannot help but feel this statement is somewhat hypocritical.

And that was a serious statement of mine. I really have never seen someone openly say they enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII on the internet, so I was rather surprised. I realise that I'm slightly coloured by the fact that I think the game is objectively terrible, and the sequel even moreso, but hey.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 09-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #45
Emi

Quote:
I cannot help but feel this statement is somewhat hypocritical.

And that was a serious statement of mine. I really have never seen someone openly say they enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII on the internet, so I was rather surprised. I realise that I'm slightly coloured by the fact that I think the game is objectively terrible, and the sequel even moreso, but hey.
Well you can't expect me to figure out you were being serious. But thanks for explaining.

I haven't gotten too far into XIII-2(because I stopped playing for a while just because[same thing happened with XIII]), but I can't say I enjoy it more than XIII. There are certain aspects of gameplay that I enjoy a lot, such as monster recruiting and having access to all 6 roles really early. Being able to tune your paradigms is also really nice. But they nerfed the Saboteur role to hell, and managed to make player controlled Synergists a shitty version of Hope. Crystarium development is also really freaking odd.

And I am NOT looking forwards to XIII-3. It looks to me from what I have seen of it like Enix is taking everything I've loved about XIII and taking a giant shit on it.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #46
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
And I am NOT looking forwards to XIII-3. It looks to me from what I have seen of it like Enix is taking everything I've loved about XIII and taking a giant shit on it.
I believe the reasoning was because a large majority of the Western market criticized the game as terrible for the very same reasons you liked it. So when Square Enix started doing XIII-2 and -3, they are attempting to meet those demands.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #47
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I believe the reasoning was because a large majority of the Western market criticized the game as terrible for the very same reasons you liked it. So when Square Enix started doing XIII-2 and -3, they are attempting to meet those demands.
By placing a time limit on gameplay and severely over complicating the battle system? Yeah no. XIII-3 looks bad.

XIII-2 has its problems, but I highly doubt anyone called XIII out on how great the Saboteur role was. It felt like a sequel and not "Square Enix is trying to do some weird Kingdom Hearts/Majora's Mask/XIII thing."
Old 09-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #48
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Open world exploration, player choice in outcomes of events, high replayability, character customization of both battle and cosmetic sense, fast paced and challenging combat.

Yeah, that sounds like stuff Western gamers like.

I haven't played FFXIII, XIII-2, or seen anything about XIII-3, so I can't really say how much a difference there is in the game, but if the criticisms were actually big enough for Square Enix to change how they make games, it could not have had been insignificant. Japan doesn't want to make games with 80% ratings, they want 90+.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #49
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Open world exploration, player choice in outcomes of events, high replayability, character customization of both battle and cosmetic sense, fast paced and challenging combat.

Yeah, that sounds like stuff Western gamers like..
None of which I said I didn't enjoy or said that the game didn't have. Not saying it does have all of those things(though I honestly cannot remember where player choice happened in many of the great Final Fantasy games.

Open World happens in Chapter 11 when the entire world of Gran Pulse is opened up(and I do mean entire if you play your cards rights.) The game is as replayable as any other Final Fantasy mechanics wise. Story-wise is up to personal opinion but I find the story to be pretty good.

Cosmetic customization is something that XIII didn't have the XIII-2 included, and I honestly had no problem with that in the slightest.

And the last point makes me want to slap anyone who has said otherwise. The battles are quite a bit more fast-paced than in earlier FFs, and many times it is just as challenging, if not more so. Battles need to involve more long-term thinking that short-term, especially longer battles where endurance is the key.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #50
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Spoiler: show

This is a map of the first five hours of FF13, and it says a lot about one of the major problems people have with it. The first twenty-thirty hours are pretty much one long corridor. There's nothing to break up the monotony of walking in a straight line and beating up the monsters in your path, and that's not hyperbole - I mean literally nothing else. 10 was fairly linear, but it was well paced with town and temple sections and they at least made an effort to disguise the linearity with the maps actually having branches and sidepaths and such.

For combat; there are only five different enemies (they're just constantly recoloured). You can win most boss fights by holding the auto-battle button (and don't try to claim otherwise, because I did this for most boss battles and got to Chapter 11 without dying that I recall). Which says most of what you need to know about combat. I'm curious to see if I could set up my controller at the start in such a way that it finishes the game for me, I suspect it's possible. I actually do not remember any of the villains. At all. Of the main cast, only Sazh evoked any sort of "I care about what happens to you" reaction. I actively wanted Hope, Vanille and Snow to lose and die so I wouldn't have to listen to them any more. Lightning and Fang get a solid meh.

The main problem is, whenever people complain about this game the response from the few who like it is always the same: "wait until you get to Gran Pulse!" Sorry, no, I am not waiting twenty five hours to get to something that doesn't bore me. That's just not acceptable.

Last edited by Concept; 09-11-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games