UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 01-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #101
phoopes
Double Dragon

CHAPTER 2 TRIAL:
Spoiler: show
Obligatory "fuck Komaeda" just because.

Anyway, it seems that I was right in the Saionjii and Kurzuryuu were too obvious. Thought I could get it with Owari but yeah, the one covered in blood was kind of too obvious too. Never for a minute did I suspect Pekoyama until right when they accused her... And it turns out she's a serial killer too? Man, there are lots of "repeat roles" from last game to this game, so to speak.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #102
phoopes
Double Dragon

Okay holy fuck just finished the Chapter 2 trial because of darn interruptions.
I legit almost cried. The twist at the end with Kuzuryuu and Pekoyama having grown up together freaking came out of nowhere (obviously). And he tried to run in and save her... damn, Kuzuryuu went from being one of the most unlikable characters to one of my favorites just like that. He's a lot deeper than I thought, HECK, when it looked like he and Pekoyama had both died I almost cried. I don't know how he's going to be when he comes back but man, even with the killing of Koizumi who I loved I just can't get over what a change in opinion I've had about Kuzuryuu.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #103
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
So I just finished Chapter 4 of SDR2.
Holy hell the feels.
I was told beforehand that Tanaka was the Culprit (Damn you Lost). I didn't want to believe it. I really didn't. Tanaka had been my favourite Character from the beginning, due to his adorable out-of-touchness. Even his interactions with Sonia made be warm and fuzzy. And to think that he sacrificed himself for the others....
Also Bad Luck Brian? Bad luck Nidai more like)

Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #104
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Chapter 4 SDR2 spoilers
Oh yeah, Chapter 4 is where I near boycotted the rest of the game because I literally near cried to death. Tanaka's death is easily one of the worst, most tear-jerking things ever. There is so much goodness in it I want to bawl. He was a truly good person and he did not deserve to die.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #105
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Localized DR

Eh I don't really like how they've done it, tbh. I can't pass judgement yet but the fan translation looks a lot better to me.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #106
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

I just finished Chapter 5.
What the fuck
Sorry for swearing, but what the fuck
So I officially hate Komaeda and Monokuma now.
And Tetris.
Nanami... Monomi....

Also, The music for...
Rebuttal showdowns, I think they're called... is the best thing. And the lead on to them (everyone gets their own "You've got that wrong!" Phrase and they're all cool and I want to know them all!) is also pretty fun

Quote:
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
#still
#fucking
#salty

Old 01-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #107
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

This?

BORKED

Easily one of my favorite tracks.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 01-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #108
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
This?
Yes, that's the one!
Also, the music for chapter 6, just after
they learn they're just avatars in the new world program. The non-stop discussion Track, 8-bit style, is now my second best thing.

Quote:
Quote:
#still
#fucking
#salty

Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #109
Red Panda
head head bitch

So I've just started reading SDR2 upon request from Swampy and Blaze. I'm made it past the first trial. Some thoughts:

Spoilers through First Trial of SDR2:
Characters:

Now, bear with me since I'm not familiar with all the names. I'll put what SHSL they are next to them just in case. I don't want to search for the names since that puts me at risk for spoilers.

Overall, I like this new cast of characters. There are a few that I don't like all too much (The SHSL Dancer and SHSL Gangster), though I feel that without them the cast is incomplete. There are other characters that I find to be near copies of characters from DR1 (Owari is Aoi 2.0, Komaeda is kind of Naegi 2.0). The Toaster Strudel (SHSL Cook) tends to annoy me, though I won't have to deal with him anymore. I'd say my favorite character so far is Pekoyama (SHSL Swordsman). I'm not entirely sure why, but I do like her character a lot.

On another note, Togami's appearance in the show startled me. When I first started reading I joked to Blaze and Swampy, giving his character the nickname "Fat Togami". I had no idea that it was actually Togami. And since it is Togami, I can only wonder as to why he came back to Hope's Peak Academy, and what Naegi, Kirigiri, Aoi, Hagakure and Fukawa are up to. Did they die? Are they fighting the Monobear army? *shrug* I don't know. Maybe SDR2 sheds some light on that as well.

Plot/Setting:

Well, the plot is obviously similar to DR1, but this one IMO has much more mystery surrounding it. I like the island setting, not necessarily more than the school, but even so it is a nice change. Monomi (Usami) seems to be involved quite a bit. I'm hoping that she isn't just comic relief/pace changer. It'd be nice to see her take down Monokuma (No confirming/denying please!).

First Class Trial/Investigation Period:

I was astonished again as Togami was found dead. I was hoping that he would survive longer and give us some more information. As for killers, the second I saw the dead body I had a few suspects:

Souda/Sonia/Koisumi (anti leader kind of movement. Souda is practically tied around Sonia's finger.) Komaeda was on that list as well. The only two people that I knew weren't involved before getting any other information were Pekoyama and Kuzuryuu (SHSL Swordsman and Gangster/Asshat respectively.) They would be far too obvious a choice, and DR1 never threw us straight pitches. As the investigation period went along, I suspected Komaeda even more, along with Tsumiki (since she was seen standing next to Togami in the pitcher, and could've used the fall as a false alibi. As the trial moved along I suspected Souda a little more for being so sure about Pekoyama being the culprit. I was also pretty sure that Komaeda was the culprit too. When they were about to head down to the Class Trial chambers, things started getting weird. First off, I noticed that Tanaka had his lost earring back. Which means that you could in fact get under the floor. I wasn't quite sure if it was the right earring, though, so I put it aside and moved on. During the class trial, I was almost positive that Komaeda did it. The only thing that didn't check up, though, was the 5mm diameter cuts, far too small for the knife that Komaeda used. Then he went all batshit. I enjoy him as a character, but some times I found it hard to bare with him when he was trying to get everyone killed. When the Toaster Strudel was found guilty, I was shocked. I didn't suspect him at all. I'll have to remember that for future trials. His story and reasoning was pretty dark, though, which I enjoyed. It wasn't just "I want to get out of here!" But instead "I need to go make sure that my mom is okay! And I never wanted to kill Togami. I wanted to kill Komaeda to protect everyone else!" Interesting. It makes Hanamura the villain, but one we can sympathize with. I haven't read an ounce past the death scene, so I'll stop here.

Overall, I'm enjoying the LP of SDR2 much more than I enjoyed the anime version of DR1. I goes into detail a lot more, making things less clusterfucky.

I'd prefer if there were no spoilers, so if I ask a question, consider it rhetorical. No confirming or denying please!
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #110
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Read the first Lp. Pretty interesting. I would read the second one right this second but my school somehow blocked the images. Must be imageshack or something.

Edit: nevermind found it

Last edited by biggggg5; 01-29-2014 at 01:11 PM.
biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:10 AM   #111
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Yo biggggg^5, just a heads up, wouldn't that Avatar be a bit of a spoiler to those who haven't read the first LP of Dangan Ronpa?

Sorry for pointing it out, I just don't want you yelled at for spoiling people...

Quote:
Quote:
#still
#fucking
#salty

Old 01-30-2014, 06:14 AM   #112
Selena
Aroma Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampertforever View Post
Yo biggggg^5, just a heads up, wouldn't that Avatar be a bit of a spoiler to those who haven't read the first LP of Dangan Ronpa?

Sorry for pointing it out, I just don't want you yelled at for spoiling people...
I have only seen about the first 10 minutes or so, and I don't consider that a spoiler. It's just confirming my initial thoughts.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #113
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Good point. Thanks for pointing that out

Edit: also a lot more cursing in this second game.

Last edited by biggggg5; 01-30-2014 at 11:15 AM.
biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #114
Red Panda
head head bitch

So, I was talking to a friend last night, and he was like "Wait I have to show you this picture! I think it's some inspirational bear thing. Either way it's adorable."

Here's the picture:

I started laughing, and explained to him what "the inspirational bear thing" really was.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:36 AM   #115
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I know several of you are all about watching other people play the games, but the dual audio American/European release of Dangan Ronpa has just happened, and Dangan Ronpa 2 will be coming as well later in the year. A very exciting time.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:37 AM   #116
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
Beat the 1st game. My head hurts. Though, that's probably because I've been playing it non-stop for the past few days.

Wrote up a review. Light spoilers.

So first off, the gameplay. I played on Malicious for both logic and action, and I enjoyed it. However... it was too easy. The only thing that really got me were the occasional strange leaps in logic and the vague Climax Logic pictures. Though, I'm glad that it wasn't as bad as the Ace Attorney series. Also... I was a bit disappointed that the only detriment to losing your influence was being forced to repeat that section and ending up with a bad score. Like... that's nothing. 8/10.

Then the music. It wasn't really my style, but as the game went on, I found myself nodding along to Monokuma's theme (and others). It really added onto the "theme" of the game! 8/10

As for the art, I loved it. The character models were beautiful and the style was really interesting. I don't really have anything bad to say about it. Except maybe the pink blood. ewww. 9/10

Characters! Obviously, everyone was a blatant stereotype, but despite that, they all felt like real people! My favorite character was probably Kirigiri, even though her head was really weird! Why couldn't they just make her head round, instead of making it look like a butt? For my least favorite character, it was the creepy Fukawa. I just couldn't handle her pervading weirdness, but even that made the whole experience more interesting. 10/10

And finally, the story. The primary reason for playing this game. It was good. Most of it made sense. The parts that didn't were easily answered by looking up spoilers for the next game or the light novel. It was interesting too. Yeah I'm tired and it's been a long post okay :p All in all... 9/10

As a whole, I'm giving DR a 9/10.

A few thoughts/rants (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Okay so what is up with the hope bullet shenanigans at the end? I found it rather a bore. Especially with how the last bullet for Kirigiri turned out to another hope one. I was expecting to use the Headmaster's photo and have Kirigiri gain hope from that, but nooooo he just shot her with that nonsensical hope bullet or whatever and solved the day.

Maizono's dying message ruined the whole trial for me. Like... seeing as she had hidden the message, and there was blood on her hand, it was obvious she wrote it. And if you just flipped the psp upside down... the name was right there. It's like they thought I wouldn't be able to find out it was Leon with the other info.

It was rather depressing at the end. That's why I wished that the creators would've given us a little more closure, but they made it so I had to go look at the wiki. It answers a lot of questions, like why Enoshima steered the convo away from how the memories were stolen, etc.

More to come maybe later. Probably not since I'm lazy.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #117
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

BORKED

Upupupu...
Old 07-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #118
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Incest end? :/
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #119
phoopes
Double Dragon

So I'm revisiting the first Dangan Ronpa and it's just as awesome as I remember it. Only thing that bothers me however is the official American translation uses "Ultimate" instead of "Super High School Level" and "Puhuhuh" instead of "Upupu." Those just had some charm to them from the first time I experienced DR and I kind of miss them. Can't find the videos that I had watched when I first heard about it years ago.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #120
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

*bursts into thread*

ANYONE PLAYIN DRV3?????

Chapter 1 is SPOILER CITY already so PLEASE SPOILER BASICALLY EVERYTHING

i finished the first class trial last night and am filled with despair already

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 09-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #121
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
*bursts into thread*

ANYONE PLAYIN DRV3?????

Chapter 1 is SPOILER CITY already so PLEASE SPOILER BASICALLY EVERYTHING

i finished the first class trial last night and am filled with despair already

THIS GAME HAS RUINED ME

The Kaede fake out still pisses me off ever sibce I learned it when the JPN version is released

Also my favorite character is Kokichi.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:04 AM   #122
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

I'd love to play this but Ł50 for a visual novel seems a bit fucking steep. At least Zero Time Dilemma was only Ł30 and WELL worth it but I'm not convinced with DR.

So to anyone who's played it, is it worth the money or is the price tag too high for what it is?
Old 09-29-2017, 07:59 AM   #123
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

how is there a typo in the fucking opening

also why is the voice audio so shit in the vita version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:42 AM   #124
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
I'd love to play this but Ł50 for a visual novel seems a bit fucking steep. At least Zero Time Dilemma was only Ł30 and WELL worth it but I'm not convinced with DR.

So to anyone who's played it, is it worth the money or is the price tag too high for what it is?
This game is way more than a run-of-the-mill VN. There are some really complex and engaging gameplay elements as well as a murder mystery aspect to all of them. It's still definitely a VN at heart but your relationships with the characters are just one aspect of the game. The story is also just a big crazy mindfuck; the ride alone is worth it.

But, honestly, a majority of us who were exposed to the series got our first exposure via Let's Plays (originally via the fan-translated SomethingAwful LP or the fan-translated patch version). Since it is still heavily VN-based, it's very much consumable via video. If you don't feel like paying for it, you can still get much of the experience that way, but I think playing the actual game is worth it.

The first DR is only $20 on Steam at the moment (and you absolutely must start with the first one - there is no sequence breaking in Dangan Ronpa) so it's not a particularly expensive investment to expose yourself to the series.

EDIT:

Also this is the order in which the games make sense:
Dangan Ronpa 1 (e.g. Trigger Happy Havoc) (do not watch the anime first; it's just the first game but heavily abridged)
Super Dangan Ronpa 2
Ultra Despair Girls (semi-optional)
Dangan Ronpa 3 Hope Side (anime)
Dangan Ronpa 3 Despair Side (anime)
Dangan Ronpa V3

Last edited by Jerichi; 09-29-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #125
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

I actually haven't seen Hope anime or Despair anime yet. Should I binge them before continuing with V3?

Spoilers for the 1st trial of V3
I'm conflicted about it. On one hand, it was a good swerve and a good fuck you despite the shot put ball making it a little obvious. But on the other hand, I was really excited to play as Kaede, much more so than I am to play as Shuichi. In addition, it just feels wrong since there was never any sort of sequence break in the actual game where you didn't know what she was doing, which is mainly jarring for me in the part where she actually sets the ball in motion. I dunno. It works, and they didn't decently, but it doesn't sit well with me. Normally swerves are still fuck you's, but they're pretty satisfying still. This one so far doesn't really satisfy me. Maybe it's because it happens so soon after the obvious swerve of Nagito-bait Rantaro dying first.

Not so say I don't like Shuichi, but I dunno, Kaede was fun.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment