UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 04-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
precita
Boulder Badge

So its been like...12 years since Misty left the Pokemon anime

Anyone else amazed at how much time flies? Since Misty left the anime back in 2002, its now been nearly 12 years since she left the series. This was a character people originally thought was in the anime a long time, but in reality she was only in the show for a short 5 year run out of a 17-year running series.

Overall I was never one of those people who cared that Misty left, I felt they should have axed Ash, Brock and Team Rocket all at the end of Johto too, and I pretty much stopped watching the anime around the middle of Johto anyway.

It is kind of funny to me because I remember people posting huge rants on pokemon forums about how supposedly important Misty was or how she had to come back or the anime would get canceled without her. Obviously 12 years later it turned out that Misty was never important enough to be revived so the writers let her be forgotten.

Anyone else here around 2002/2003 remember this? Do you find it ironic that Misty wasn't as important to the show as people thought she was?
precita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't know that I find it ironic. People still say similar things about the integral roles played by Brock (who's been gone for quite a while now) or Team Rocket (who have yet to vanish for an entire season), but I think we could see them vanishing forever too and we'd look back on it in twenty years and smile at how strongly people felt about those characters' importance to the Pokémon anime. With Misty, people saw her back then as the #2 human character of the show, right behind Ash, and so the idea of losing Misty permanently felt as strange as the idea of losing Team Rocket permanently. Stranger, even. For while Team Rocket could go away for good if they gave up, went to jail, Ash beat their butts one time too many, etc, with Misty viewers wanted more of a believable justification for why she and Ash would go their separate ways after all they'd been through together. It does happen in real life, people adventuring in the wilderness for years and then going their separate ways once they return to civilization after 3-5 years spent together, but ... I dunno, I guess people just felt that Misty was Ash's Samwise Gamgee or future missus. Losing her in either role would have struck most fans back then as being quite strange.

I had quit watching the anime some time around what North Americans considered the middle of the fourth season. (It was some time after the Morty gym battle but before Ash met Jasmine.) I was never that big of a fan of Misty, and her transformation into a whiny teenage mom after Togepi hatched drove me to dislike her more and more as time wore on. If I had to pick between her or Brock/Tracey to leave the group, as early as the end of Orange Islands it would have probably been her. Certainly by the time I put the series down.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

The only characters in the anime which matter are Ash & Pikachu. Everyone else has been shown ta be entirely replaceable regardless of what people round the 'net have ta say!

I mean TR is still there but not to the degree they used ta be. Nearly every episode had 'em but in recent seasons I've read that they've been used alot less. Its especially noticable in the movies where they used ta have some kind of small role but nowadays are cameos, if even there at all!

Continuity was never the series strongpoint so freshening it up by largely replacing the cast every now & again is prolly what keeps it going strong. Imagine if all these years the main characters were only Ash/Pikachu/Misty/Brock... @_@ It'd be a whole lot less interesting then it turned out ta be! They were already hitting deadends in Johto with that team so if they'd stuck around the next decade+ would the series even still be going??
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Fuck now I feel old.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
precita
Boulder Badge

It's rather odd in retrospect that some people tried to make such a big deal out of Misty leaving when it happened, even though looking back on it now it made no difference. Misty wasn't as important to the show as people thought she was, nor did the writers ever have to use the original trio as a group ever again.

I never understood why people thought Misty and/or Brock needed to be there in the anime. They were just as throwaway as characters as everyone who came in after them.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Mercutio
Banned

Counter argument: Misty should be the star of a spin off animé set 10 years in the future where she's really in to bikini modelling.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Counter argument: Misty should be the star of a spin off animé set 10 years in the future where she's really in to bikini modelling.
Someone hire this man.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

This thread makes me feel ancient. ]:

For me, it made a big difference. I lost a lot of interest in the series when Misty left. Wasn't interested in May or Max. Then the VA switcheroo was it for me and I bailed for good.

But then I also thought Tracey was awesome, so what are my opinions even worth.
AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #9
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The only way I might feel old about this would be if I had somehow brought up that May was a good traveling companion for Ash, but then some child would look at me and say, "No, Ash's first traveling buddies were Brock, May & Max. Misty is only a Gym Leader!"

Thankfully, Pokemon never comes up like that.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshsBabyLapras View Post
[color=#1e90ff]This thread makes me feel ancient. ]:

For me, it made a big difference. I lost a lot of interest in the series when Misty left. Wasn't interested in May or Max. Then the VA switcheroo was it for me and I bailed for good.
]
From what I remember most people stopped watching the anime somewhere in the middle of Johto, because that's when the tedious fillers continued non-stop and Ash leaving Charizard in the valley was the one-two punch that did it for most people.

I imagine the people who continued watching in Hoenn came back because they felt the anime was "refreshed" with new travel companions, Ash/Brock got new clothes, etc.

Of course none of this really matters now, as its been over a decade since Misty left, and eventually May/Max/Brock all left to make room for an endless parade of new travel companions...but I believe this was the general thought process back in 2002/2003.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #11
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Yall make me feel like the Hoenn quartet is unloved. Sure, I liked Misty as a character and all, but I liked the Hoenn group better. Idk why though.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
Yall make me feel like the Hoenn quartet is unloved. Sure, I liked Misty as a character and all, but I liked the Hoenn group better. Idk why though.
The majority of users here are, "old fogey's" that have been around since the beginning of Pokemon back in 1998. We're all old 25-30+ year old adults now, naturally a lot of them lost interest in the anime due to the repetitiveness of the show and the series going on forever.

The difference is back in 1998 we never expected the anime to go on for nearly 20 years, we expected it to be a short show that ran for about 5 years and then either Ash's story would end or the series would move on with new heroes.

I imagine for the people who did continue watching the show like myself, I did prefer May over Misty back in the day, but naturally a lot of people simply lost interest in the franchise and never continued. This doesn't really matter now though, as we're talking ancient history.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah to be honest Johto is when I stopped watching as a kid. So the Misty thing doesn't make me feel old because I'm no longer a kid. But that May and Max are 10 years, that's weird to me.

But I've always kept up with character changes and watched cool battles, particularly as I started running ASB.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Yeah to be honest Johto is when I stopped watching as a kid. So the Misty thing doesn't make me feel old because I'm no longer a kid. But that May and Max are 10 years, that's weird to me..
I still can't get over that Ash is on his 5th female companion now.

I mean I still remember when May was considered the "new pokemon girl," for god sakes....and that was over 10 years ago! It's hard to believe that May and Max are introduced nearly 12 years ago back in 2002...I honestly feel like it was only yesterday.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #15
Heather
Naga's Voice

Oh dear ash is on his fifth female companion? Don't tell Mat Pat or else he'll devote three weeks of Game Theory to proving Ash a sadist or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
Mercutio
Banned

I wish Iris had been less annoying, could have been a great rolemodel for swathes of new audiences.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #17
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
I wish Iris had been less annoying, could have been a great rolemodel for swathes of new audiences.
Since Ash's female companion changes every 3-4 years now, I don't think it matters. I prefer May and Dawn either way.

Although it is kinda funny people tried to make such a big deal out of Misty leaving but in retrospect it was nothing important, and Brock should have been done away with at the end of Johto too.

I really don't understand why people thought the anime was about Misty and Brock. Even when they were on the show the writers barely focused on them outside a handful of episodes.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

A recent letter in my inbox reminds me that roughly half of the fandom doesn't just disagree with you about Misty's worthlessness to the plot -- they go the extra mile and, like Holocaust deniers, insist that Misty once claimed that she and Ash will one day marry even when confronted with the hard evidence to the contrary. I'm not saying that roughly half of the fanbase disagrees with your clearly anti-Misty views: I'm saying that roughly half of the fanbase so ardently is in love with the idea of Misty being Ash's one true love that they go out of their way to deny that 4Kids edited the script to support Pokéshipping. ^^;;

Basically, you should either:
  1. retire from your anti-Misty crusade, convinced by evidence (such as the replies to the YouTube video I've linked) that your attempts to convert the fandom are futile
  2. redirect your anti-Misty crusade energies from this thread to the YouTube video I just linked you to instead
Your time and energy would be better spent a) not on this at all or else b) in an arena where you can wage war with Misty supporters to your heart's content.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #19
precita
Boulder Badge

lol I don't dislike Misty, at least not the pre-Johto one anyway.

But I know this forum has a lot of older pokemon fans who used to be on places like Bulbagarden, and that place back in 1999-2002 was very Pokeshipper and Misty-centric. As you can see by that one user above, some of them are here and I'm curious as to their viewpoints.

I just think its kinda funny that for the people who tried to make such a big deal out of Misty leaving, it was actually entirely unimportant looking back. Misty stayed gone permanently for the entire rest of the series and was nothing more than a short-lived supporting sidekick character from the very early days of the anime. Most of the female companions who came after Misty became just as popular or moreso than she did.

I never really understood why people thought Misty or Brock were such vital or important characters in the series.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #20
Yinreaper
Pokemon Trainer

Wow I never even relished I feel old... So old
Yinreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #21
^Misty^
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by precita View Post
Anyone else amazed at how much time flies? Since Misty left the anime back in 2002, its now been nearly 12 years since she left the series. This was a character people originally thought was in the anime a long time, but in reality she was only in the show for a short 5 year run out of a 17-year running series.

Overall I was never one of those people who cared that Misty left, I felt they should have axed Ash, Brock and Team Rocket all at the end of Johto too, and I pretty much stopped watching the anime around the middle of Johto anyway.

It is kind of funny to me because I remember people posting huge rants on pokemon forums about how supposedly important Misty was or how she had to come back or the anime would get canceled without her. Obviously 12 years later it turned out that Misty was never important enough to be revived so the writers let her be forgotten.

Anyone else here around 2002/2003 remember this? Do you find it ironic that Misty wasn't as important to the show as people thought she was?
I really think Misty should return, she's been gone far too long. She's still as important as she was back then because she was a main character at one point. The same really can be said about May, Dawn, and the others once 10 years go by.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #22
precita
Boulder Badge

Jesus Christ, did someone really register to this forum just to reply to this thread with a Misty avatar and signature?

What year is this....2003?
Old 12-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #23
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by precita View Post
Jesus Christ, did someone really register to this forum just to reply to this thread with a Misty avatar and signature?
"Jesus Christ, did someone really register to this forum just to create a Misty-bashing thread?"

You've made twenty-five posts since signing up. Easily half of them have been you trash talking about Pokémon heroines you dislike and cooing over the ones you like. Given this, I should say that you are hardly in a position to be giving this Misty fan shit. Not when you yourself have done little to introduce yourself to us as anything more than a May+Dawn fanboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Misty^ View Post
I really think Misty should return, she's been gone far too long. She's still as important as she was back then because she was a main character at one point. The same really can be said about May, Dawn, and the others once 10 years go by.
Do you really believe that she's "still as important as she was back then" though? Really? Back when all we knew was the trio of Ash, Misty, & Brock (or sometimes Tracey), it was common for people to think that Misty would be around forever, that she and Ash might eventually become a couple, etc. But we're long since past those days. Dawn's cameo in Unova blew away Misty's and May's cameos in Hoenn and Sinnoh, respectively. Serena's been given the sort of material to work with that Misty, May, and Dawn fans could have only dreamed of. Can any of us really honestly say that Misty is still as important today as she was in 2002 (Japan) / 2003 (North America and Europe)?

If Pokémon were the sort of story where Ash aged in mind and body as his journey progressed, then I would be much more enthusiastic about all manner of cameos of older characters. Misty, Gary, Ritchie, so on and so forth. But ShoPro's simplistic writing coupled with Ash's permanence in adolescence dampens my enthusiasm. Doesn't mean I still wouldn't want to see it, just that it's hard to get very excited for it knowing that it would probably be little different from the Togetic episode in Hoenn.

ShoPro's writing is generally anything but subtle, so the following is pure wishful thinking: but man if it wouldn't be fun to have them gift Ash, Serena, Citron, and Eureka some bicycles, to establish that our heroes now ride bikes when the terrain supports it, to not make a big deal about it (after its initial unveiling) for some 30 to 50 episodes ... and then out of nowhere, without any warning whatsoever -- in a world devoid of CoroCoro spoilers and sneak peek episode titles -- a mysterious figure on a bicycle rides out in front of Ash, he tries to brake but he can't, the other person is knocked from her bike, and Ash along with both bicycles go plunging into a river below, the bikes utterly destroyed. Ash is okay, the mystery person approaches, and we hear -- "Now you owe me TWO bikes, Ash Ketchum! "
Old 12-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #24
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
You've made twenty-five posts since signing up. Easily half of them have been you trash talking about Pokémon heroines you dislike and cooing over the ones you like. Not when you yourself have done little to introduce yourself to us as anything more than a May+Dawn fanboy.
I'm mostly a lurker, which is why I don't post much. I liked early pre-Johto Misty, but the anime has moved on with better companions. I'm generally a fan of the better written female companions. I probably would like Serena as much as the others if the writers developed her better outside a one-sided crush.

Quote:
Can any of us really honestly say that Misty is still as important today as she was in 2002 (Japan) / 2003 (North America and Europe)?
I rather agree with this, if only also because Misty's cameos stopped back in 2005, which means the writers haven't even bothered to have Misty show up in an episode in nearly a decade and three gens now. They've clearly buried the character in almost the same manner as Tracey. The writing staff promoting Serena as Ash's new love interest basically kills the one unique thing Misty had left going for her, so they're clearly done with her.

I think the only people who still pine for Misty are the same type of people who only like the original 151 (or 251) pokemon and can't accept the fact that the franchise has moved on long after their childhood or the fad years ended. The fact that Hoenn is now old enough to get a remake says enough in itself.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #25
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah people who pine for Misty are often the same people who bitch about there being more than 200 Pokémon and for exactly the same reasons.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON