UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 10-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Doctor Who

At the instruction of a friend, I have started watching the show at Series 5 after a long time of wondering about it. Watched a marathon of it all day, was not disappointed.

I'll admit, I tried watching the first episode of the "reboot" and I didn't much care for it. However, the first episode of the fifth series sucked me right in. I'm going to go back and watch series 3 and 4 after this. I know I'm doing this in a weird order, but I was instructed that this is the best way for a newcomer to get on board... so here I am.

Go forth and discuss

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I liked the 11th Doctor Who David Tennant a lot more than the 10th Doctor, who was the invisible man in Heroes (and a bunch of other stuff). Matt Smith grew on me very quickly though. He's probably the most fun Doctor out of all of them.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
You're 1 out, Loki. Tennant was the 10th Doctor, Christopher Eccleston the 9th (who I liked a lot despite being around for just one series).

Good to know you're interested, Deo. Though you might be confused as to who/what quite a few of the recurring characters/species are if you've only seen series 5 (River Song/Weeping Angels/etc.). These will become more clear if you watch the first four.

Might post more when I'm not half-asleep.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
You're 1 out, Loki. Tennant was the 10th Doctor, Christopher Eccleston the 9th (who I liked a lot despite being around for just one series).

Good to know you're interested, Deo. Though you might be confused as to who/what quite a few of the recurring characters/species are if you've only seen series 5 (River Song/Weeping Angels/etc.). These will become more clear if you watch the first four.

Might post more when I'm not half-asleep.
I was given quite the TL;DR on who and what they are. As for the Weeping Angels, I just got done watching "Blink", and it was a damned good episode. So well written. This whole show is well written. I'm actually in the middle of watching Stone and Flesh right now.

The Weeping Angels are the scariest shit I've seen in a while. I don't think I can ever look at statues the same way again.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Marathoned Season 1 last year. Watched the first three or five or so episodes of Season 2, burnt out, and never picked it back up.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Watched most of the reboot, but haven't been able to see any after the split in series 6. So I've yet to see Let's Kill Hitler and since. I loved the opening of A Good Man Goes To War with what Rory did.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
GrJackass
Night Man

yea this show seems to shift years every two seasons and just gets better and better.

i know why talon burnt out, its a rough transistion to change doctors, even if it was only for a season. which is the same reason people unfairly dislike the 11th doctor matt smith. but honestly, and i know someone didnt watch the episode "lets kill hitler" but (vauge spoiler)

Spoiler: show
how can you not love the guy after watching the entire time (and the scene before) he was wearing the tux

but yea tennant and smith are diffrent but both really good doctors, and i want you all to notice that matt smith's lower half, from the pants, to the shoes to the way he walks is lupin the third-esque

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

>people unfairly dislike the 11th doctor matt smith

As far as I'm aware that only applied for most of his first episode because everyone was comparing him to Tennant in their head. He had me sold at 'Fish Custard'.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrJackass View Post
i know why talon burnt out, its a rough transistion to change doctors, even if it was only for a season.
Well, I just got bored. Part of it was not caring very much for David Tennant's all-too-wacky Doctor which, when everyone makes him out to be the best actor in the history of English television, makes his character all the more unpalatable. But part of why I put Doctor Who down and really don't care to pick it back up was that it was much, much, much too much a "Monster of the Week"-style series. The same argument might be levied against Star Trek: the Next Generation, but ... I don't know what it is, but I typically like TNG's writing much, much more than Doctor Who's.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
Quote:
>people unfairly dislike the 11th doctor matt smith

As far as I'm aware that only applied for most of his first episode because everyone was comparing him to Tennant in their head. He had me sold at 'Fish Custard'.
Same. That montage was just genius.

Watched the first half of series six, really should get around to watching the other half.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Well, I just got bored. Part of it was not caring very much for David Tennant's all-too-wacky Doctor which, when everyone makes him out to be the best actor in the history of English television, makes his character all the more unpalatable. But part of why I put Doctor Who down and really don't care to pick it back up was that it was much, much, much too much a "Monster of the Week"-style series. The same argument might be levied against Star Trek: the Next Generation, but ... I don't know what it is, but I typically like TNG's writing much, much more than Doctor Who's.
with season 5&6 they tend to stray a bit more from the "monster of the week" and actually have a good overall story line finally, since its pretty much a reboot you can just start with those if you really wanted too, all you would have to watch is "blink" just cause its awesome, and "silence in the library"(2 parter) for the only backstory that was really carried over from the previous seasons

and yea the first episode with matt smith was amazing, and i guess the comparisons are always gonna happen because if you notice, even when tennant replaced the 9th doctor they tend to do an imitation of the previous doctor for about half the episode to kinda smooth over the transition. or at least thats how i see it.

only think i dont like about the newer seasons is that they kinda ruined the weeping angels and made them almost silly

edit: ok not "stray away from it" but there is always an underlying theme going on

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

The whole point of the 'transition' is because the Doctor needs time to settle on his new personality after regenerating. While his experiences, memory and principles remain, he's not the same person as the previous incarnation. This was explicitly stated in The Christmas Invasion. That's why he echoed Tennant so much during the first episode, he was still finding his feet as a person, trying to differ himself from his previous incarnation.

I think the Angels are still pretty fucking scary. The Mindfuck at the end of Blink with the fast montage of various statues didn't help.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
The whole point of the 'transition' is because the Doctor needs time to settle on his new personality after regenerating. While his experiences, memory and principles remain, he's not the same person as the previous incarnation. This was explicitly stated in The Christmas Invasion. That's why he echoed Tennant so much during the first episode, he was still finding his feet as a person, trying to differ himself from his previous incarnation.

I think the Angels are still pretty fucking scary. The Mindfuck at the end of Blink with the fast montage of various statues didn't help.
first off, im not complaining about the fact they "imitate" each other at the start, i just think thats where the resentment comes from for the most part. because the new doctor can never fully imitate the old doctor correctly it reminds people whats going away almost. my friend i introduced the show to had to take two week long breaks from watching it both times the doctor changed. and i just think thats probably the culprit

im just gonna go ahead and spoiler this incase someone didnt see both eps
but regarding the weeping angels

and yea the first ep with the angels was brilliant, but then to have a whole army of them, and the part that annoyed me the most was the fact that you saw them move. the whole fear factor i had was that you blinked and they moved a little closer at just a crazy speed. but then to see one move its head to the side was just kinda dumb. and i always assumed they were a living being when not being seen and then statue when they are. but in the 2nd ep with them you see that they are always stone but just choose to move only when being seen. then the whole "whatever holds the image of an angel turns into an angel"

they tried to expand on a good idea and they just kinda ruined it

edit: not to mention that now they spoke by proxy. i dunno, that season 5 ep with the angels really sullied the idea of them for me

Last edited by GrJackass; 10-12-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #14
GrJackass
Night Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKo4F...ayer_embedded#! THE CRACK APPEARS AGAIN

Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
TheNthDoctor
Boulder Badge

#10, David Tennant is my Doctor
TheNthDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
GrJackass
Night Man

Old 02-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
TheNthDoctor
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrJackass View Post

i love that alignment but i have been wonderng if the neutral evil means the daleks or moffet (i'm leaning toward moffet but that's only my opinion)
TheNthDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
GrJackass
Night Man

lol, i thought the same thing at first

but man, i started rewatching the second half of season 6
god complex and lets kill hitler specifically. those episodes honestly are some of the best in the show's history

if only the season finale wasn't so predictable it could have been a perfect season

Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
GrJackass
Night Man

Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I'll take things you should of seen for 1000, Trebek

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My answers: http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8991/tvcolo2talon.jpg

A few things I'm not sure about and haven't seen, a lot more I have no guess period and haven't seen. But quite a few I can at least identify. NONE of these are series I regularly watch, not a one, so I guess that's pretty good for me. ^^; (Though in my anti-defense [? ], I have seen the first three seasons of Scrubs [roommate] and the first half of the first season of Big Bang Theory [college friend], not to mention random episodes of many of these.) Half-Life's not really a series, I realize, but it's not a franchise I religiously follow so I think I can include that in the list? (No? Does beating HL1 and nearly all of HL2 rule me out on this one?)

If that's supposed to be Roy and Jen from The IT Crowd on the bottom-right, I'mma have a shit fit. Looks nothing like either of them. But that's the closest thing to a guess I'd have for those two.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #22
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

You've never seen arrested development? >.>;

I'm pretty sure your half life is Breaking Bad. It's pretty... bad. Ok it's good.

And I'm also pretty sure Buffy is about to steak that twilight guy.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #23
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
You've never seen arrested development? >.>;
Pretty sure that one came out on TV after I went to college, a.k.a. when I quit watching American television. Didn't have time from '03 to '04, didn't have signal for anything except the local CBS station and the Bible Channel from '04 to '06, and watched cable TV with roommate from '06 to '07. Back to having no signal whatsoever from '07 to '11. Finally got a cable box "for free" in 2011 but I hardly ever use it.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure your half life is Breaking Bad. It's pretty... bad. Ok it's good.
You're probably right. Haven't ever seen it but iirc the comparisons with that guy and Gordon Freeman have been made quite often. That'd probably explain why there was a random video game character in the mix with all the television and film characters.

Quote:
And I'm also pretty sure Buffy is about to steak that twilight guy.
Wouldn't have been able to tell that that was Edward any better than I'd have been able to tell that it wasn't Edward. Dude's drawn pretty generically and for all I knew he was one of Buffy's vampire beaus in yet another show I never watched.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
GrJackass
Night Man

its not the twilight guy its the true blood guy, i believe this is strictly tv shows only

the ones you missed is, the guy in front of the tv with red hands is jake from lost
the police officer is rick grimes from walking dead
guy with wineglass is sherlock
guy getting spilt on by wineglass is dexter
the guy sitting down with the whiskey is don draper from mad med
the hot blonde with the red dress is one of the cylons from battle star galactica
the girl behind tina fey is from firefly

the four misc ones at the bottom is who gives a fuck
i think its chuck, some chick from glee and so on

edit: i havent caught up fully this season of it, but breaking bad at least the first season or so is really fucking good

also as for the true blood guy being drawn generically. actually its pretty decently drawn but the character is fairly generic lol

http://www.jlcauvin.com/wordpress/wp...mo-Image-5.jpg and the guy just does kinda look like gordon freeman. who knew the dad from Malcolm was such a badass?

Last edited by GrJackass; 02-07-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #25
GrJackass
Night Man

Found this song though it was pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAi4i...ceRVAAAAAAAAAw

also? FUTURE WIFURUUUUU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtWUr...PEbJbmNYDmy1JU

that band apparently only does dr who related songs, not bad as a whole

i really just love this lyric
Rory's quite distressed and he starts to sob
When the Doctor appears with a mop,
"Get me out of the Pandorica."
"But you're not in the Pandorica."
"Yes I am, well, yes I was, it's complicated but I won't explain it now because... "
Then he disappeared into a hazy fuzz,
That man I can't explain why he does the things he does.

Last edited by GrJackass; 02-10-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment