UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 07-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #726
Mercutio
Banned

Don't worry Concept. One word should make you feel right about the world again.

Dicks
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #727
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Well, thoughts on May's first PMQs/how the Labour leadership will go now? Apparently 180000 or thereabouts signed up to vote. I did not, I couldn't fit the extra cash into my budget and feel very disenfranchised as a result. Not happy with the NEC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #728
Mercutio
Banned

I wouldn't worry. He'll win. Then Labour will lose. Sadly your vote would not have mattered.

But one useful thing you could do is record a 30 second video encouraging others who are enfranchised to do [insert thing]? It's very effective. Could sway some people?

As for May she did well. Strong performance.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #729
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
So Farage's preferred successor has been barred from the UKIP leadership race on the basis he submitted his application for candidacy late.

Cue the return of Nigel in 3, 2...
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #730
Mercutio
Banned

It's an interesting contest.

Fear Johnson. She is very capable.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #731
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

"Homer? Who is Homer? I am Guy Incognito."
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 09-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #732
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

And while Trump talks about building a wall, my country goes ahead and does it.

Is this really what the Western world is coming to?
Old 09-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #733
Mercutio
Banned

France really is a different kettle of fish. They are very attached to the idea of being French and mainting France in a way that the UK or U.S. just aren't. You see this commonly in their law and order and matters of culture, immigration. From France's perspective this is a logical move.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #734
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Remember, the French are the ones that get really butthurt if you print the word "sandwich" on a billboard, so it's probably not really worth anyone's time to try to convince the French that they should stop trying to prevent the unfrancification of their country.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #735
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

May Heralds Expansion in School Selection by Ability

What do we think of this? I don't really understand too much about it since it doesn't affect me, but I'd like to hear some opinions on it.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #736
Connor
Flashbacker

I think it is quite a big step backwards. The politicians who are backing the move are claiming that it will help to improve schooling standards across the nation, but quite bluntly it will almost certainly not achieve that. It is a bit of an idealistic view on my part, but the way I see it if you're going to isolate the higher achievers from those who aren't doing as well ... you're only going to be improving those who were already doing well. It's an argument that has been worn to death, but these kinds of system will only serve to exclude and label those who don't become part of them because they aren't "good" enough.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:28 PM   #737
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
It's fucking stupid basically. The kids who hit the targets get pulled into certain schools where they do so, and the rest of the kids- of which there are a fuck of a lot more than the government thinks there are- get boned by being stuck in shitty schools with shitty teachers (Because the good schools will have government funding to ensure the good teachers go there) and consequently fail when if they'd been given a decent teacher and maybe some decent resources, then they may have passed. Regardless, this is probably going to leave the majority feeling like failures, either when they fail their exams, or when they fail to gain access to these elitist academies.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #738
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Do you believe a poor Einstein shouldn't get into uni while a rich Kardashian should? Whether her aims are sincere, her message of meritocracy is really hard to argue against, I should think.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #739
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

So I just read in that article that the max university tuition rate in the UK is under 10k pounds, which rustled the hell out of my jimmies.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #740
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
There's a limit at Ł9k, which may as well also be a baseline because you'll be hard-pushed to find a place that isn't essentially charging the government as much as they can. (Because let's be fair, students get loans to deal with the cost and most of the time they'll take that debt to the grave. Nobody pays for their tuition fees out of their own pocket.)
Old 09-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #741
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Tuition fees in this country are a pretty good deal. The people on the Ł9k fees are better off than those of us on the old Ł3k fees and I am jealous of them.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:11 AM   #742
Connor
Flashbacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Do you believe a poor Einstein shouldn't get into uni while a rich Kardashian should? Whether her aims are sincere, her message of meritocracy is really hard to argue against, I should think.
The way in which the English University system works means even without the new policy, 'poor Einsteins' would be able to fly into the best Universities if they truly are good enough for them. This is education at a lower level than that, where kids are still developing emotionally and them failing to get into a school they really wanted to get into just because said school is allowed to be elitist and take only the top 1% can have a serious knock on effect in their later schooling.

There is a reason we originally did away with Grammar schools. They fundamentally didn't work for the intention that they were created for and they actively left behind children who may well have been excellent in later life had they been given the care and treatment they needed to begin with. I know a number of people who are absolute aces at a University level who have openly admitted they struggled terribly at a younger age - a system like this would leave those behind entirely. It's completely ridiculous.

Meritocracies can work at certain levels, social selection based on merit is in fact present at a number of levels within our normal lives. The issue is that we shouldn't be subjecting underdeveloped minds to that, the education system should be looking to shield them from that kind of dog eat dog competition and simply allow them to achieve to their best. It is too idealistic to expect to completely get rid of meritocratic selection, but schools should absolutely aim to minimise it within their systems until at least University level. For reference, this kind of selection would come into practice when a child is only 11. Not even a teenager. They will almost certainly not be able to process the fact that they 'failed' in a healthy manner at that age.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:03 AM   #743
Selena
Aroma Lady

Would like to add that the Netherlands have a similar system. We have 3 levels of education, and frankly it works quite well. That said, if you finish a lower level you can go on on the level above it if you so desire all the way to the top and they can't refuse you from entering said level. The big difference between starting at the higher level and flowing into it is that the latter takes an extra year total time to finish it. Also all 3 levels get good funding so it's not that just the brainy guys get all the money, and if you're cleary on a level too low by evaluation of teachers, you can be put higher (or lower) mid year.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #744
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

I benefited greatly from getting into a grammar school so I struggle to slam the system too harshly.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #745
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
France really is a different kettle of fish. They are very attached to the idea of being French and mainting France in a way that the UK or U.S. just aren't. You see this commonly in their law and order and matters of culture, immigration. From France's perspective this is a logical move.
France doesn't really have anything left except living off the memory of its glory days.

At least the Brits are funny and gave us the Spice Girls fairly recently. The French gave us Alizee and that was it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I know a number of people who are absolute aces at a University level who have openly admitted they struggled terribly at a younger age - a system like this would leave those behind entirely. It's completely ridiculous.
I'm one of those.

I was almost held back at every level in elementary school, only allowed to pass (through teacher intervention) to prevent budget issues and "emotional distress". My parents actually did all my homework for me through sixth grade because I was close to invalid by myself. I could barely do addition and subtraction by fifth grade, couldn't read a clock or tie my shoelaces, and was so poor in writing I was taken out of class for an hour every day for a personal instruction. There was suspicion I had some form of mental disease because of how incapable I was of learning or applying information.

I was close to dropping out of school in the first half of 7th Grade, and that is no exaggeration, with my top grade a B in Expo class. I was getting C's or D's in everything else.

Then, I randomly got an A on an acrostic poem in history class. The planets aligned from that day forward. I still think back on that day as, probably, the single most pivotal one in my entirely life.

I went from clinically retarded to one of the top students in my grade in like 3 months. wut
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #746
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Oi Brits, keep your fucking hatemonger Hopkins out of my country? Cheers.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 11-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #747
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I think it is quite a big step backwards. The politicians who are backing the move are claiming that it will help to improve schooling standards across the nation, but quite bluntly it will almost certainly not achieve that. It is a bit of an idealistic view on my part, but the way I see it if you're going to isolate the higher achievers from those who aren't doing as well ... you're only going to be improving those who were already doing well. It's an argument that has been worn to death, but these kinds of system will only serve to exclude and label those who don't become part of them because they aren't "good" enough.
It's not really a matter of high achievement vs. low achievement, it's a matter of how quickly kids develop and learn. Some kids start slow, others start fast (Which is proven not to correlate with achievement later in life, by the way, don't feel bad), and if the school system can't accommodate both types of kids, it's not providing the correct kinds of service.

I was an accelerated kid and it was good for me. It wasn't that I directly benefited from the accelerated program...the slowed-down, No-Child-Left-Behind program actually just ruined my love of schoolwork and learning. I learned early on that reading ahead is bad, homework is boring, I have to wait for everyone else to finish before I can do anything, and school is stupid and ruins fun. This led to some serious struggles throughout my life that I'm only just now starting to really undo (although I apparently may have developed bipolar sometime in the last 5 years, so that would also possibly explain a lot of things).

I think the only issue I have with these programs is the labels that they grant and the jealous parents who want them. Something as simple as "Class 1, class 2, class 3, class 4" or naming the teams Discovery/Exploration/Adventure/Achievement would do wonders.

ALSO, isolating higher achievers from lower achievers actually helps lower achievers by reducing class size and allowing teachers to pace their instruction based off of the understanding of the class, rather than just looking at the top-performing or bottom-performing student. One causes the class to go too fast, the other too slow - and you can't just take the average because that's both too fast AND too slow.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #748
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7422471.html

Farage's party not only breaks campaign spending rules, but does so by relying on diverted funding from the very establishment he decries! Bloody hypocrite.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #749
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I can't help but laugh at the acronym "UKIP".

So I hear you like ukips
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #750
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

So, uh, Assembly is about to collapse and there could be a GE in NI within two months over this RHI scandal and Arlene's refusal to step aside for an investigation. In protest, Martin McGuinness has resigned as DFM.

I have a bad feeling about this tbh, smaller parties will be hit hard by the lack of prep time and a lot of people might not be able to afford to run. So this may actually increase the DUP/SF stranglehold.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate