UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #201
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I saw that on Imgur last night. It's pretty good. One of the producers also worked on Dredd, which it borrows a lot of style from.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #202
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah now you say it it's very Dredd. Particularly the Korean bit.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #203
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Film was pulled for a copyright claim.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #204
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
BORKED
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #205
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
So, Markus led me to io9 just a bit ago, and it would seem that one of the 5 original X-Men (for reference, in case anyone doesn't know; Angel, Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, and Jean), as revealed in a comic with a lot of timey-wimey (past versions coming to the future and teaming up with future selves or something? I don't quite know), is gay.

Drumroll please...

Spoiler: show
ICEMAN
aka Bobby Drake

And, as someone commented, Family Guy called it awhile back:

Well, maybe Northstar will finally be able to get in the boy's pants. He's been trying to since about ever.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #206
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

What

There is no way that Bobby can be anything more than bi. It literally makes no context in regards to current Bobby as a character. Like the last storyline that current Bobby had was he was like infected by an Apocalypse Seed and went sorta crazy and sent out ice copies of himself to kidnap all the people that he had loved over the years, which were all women. Like I have no problems if Bobby were to come out as bi, cause that would make sense, but straight up gay comes across as a lazy retcon.

That being said, this could be interesting if it dealt with the often changing and fluid sexuality that a lot of younger people dealt with. But since Bendis is the writer, I'm not expecting anything satisfactory coming out of this.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #207
Loki

This is like the Korra ending all over again.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:11 AM   #208
Loki

Has anyone watched the Netflix Daredevil?

It's pretty damn good.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:11 AM   #209
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Has anyone watched the Netflix Daredevil?

It's pretty damn good.
Agreed, good sir. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Excited to see what they do with the other Marvel shows they have planned.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:30 PM   #210
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Here are the opening credits to the 1990s animated X-Men ... and here is Japan's do-over. In brief, my thoughts are ... well they sure did anime it. Longer thoughts below.

The animation is clearly superior in most places. Oh, sure: there are parts that look just as bad as if not worse than the '90s cartoon, notably the Blackbird. (What the heck sort of Magic School Bus nonsense is it doing there? ) But most of the character animation is sublime for something that would have come out circa 1995. Of course, it's easy to make something look good when all you have to do is draw 90 seconds' worth of frames. The Japanese didn't reanimate the entire series -- they just re-did the opening and ending credits.

The music is ... . Yeaaaaah ... On the one hand, it is a super catchy melody. I must have listened to this OP a good twenty to thirty times, no joke, since discovering it only several days ago. The main melody's catchy, the part in the middle is really haunting, it's definitely got something to it. But on the other, oh so important hand ...
  1. The tone of this music doesn't fit the X-Men for shit.
  2. THE LYRICS.
Oh, good God. The lyrics. They're ... romantic. I'll give 'em that. But ... well, just take a look and see for yourself:
抱きしめたい 誰よりも
Dakishimetai, dare yori mo
I want to embrace/hug/hold you, more than anybody

{X-MEN}

太陽のように 君を優しく いつもまわり包んでいたい
Taiyou no you ni kimi wo yasashiku itsumo mawaritsutsunde'itai
I want to always be wrapping around you gently, like the Sun.

{Beast punch}

夜空に浮かぶ月のように 君を照らし続けていたい
Yozora ni ukabu tsuki no you ni kimi wo terashitsudzukete'itai
I want to keep on shining on you, like the Moon suspended in the night sky.

{Wolverine slice}

瞳輝く その微笑を
Hitomi kagayaku sono hohoemi wo
Your eyes sparkle. That smile

決して傷つけさせはしない
Keshite kizutsukesase wa shinai
Never will I allow harm to come to you / it (the smile).

抱きしめたい 誰よりも 君が愛しいから
Dakishimetai, dare yori mo, kimi ga itoshii kara
I want to embrace/hug/hold you, more than anybody, because you are dear to me

捧げたい この夢をすべて
Sasagetai, kono yume wo subete
To this dream, I want to give everything.

誰よりも なによりも 君を求めている
Dare yori mo, nani yori mo, kimi wo motomete'iru
More than anyone, more than anything, I am searching for you.

いま 思いが 風になって ことば超えて
Ima, omoi ga kaze ni natte kotoba koete
Now, my feelings become the wind, transcending words.

{X!}
They're ... pretty lyrics. Forward and simplistic, maybe, but certainly fitting within the definition of "romantic." But good God are these hilarious lyrics to put to:
  • the X-Men
  • the visual imagery of Wolverine leaping out of the Blackbird as he slashes cyborg goblins, of Beast smashing them with his fists, or of Jubilee laying waste to bikers
It's pretty obvious that the Japanese were focused entirely on the Scott x Jean x Logan love triangle -- weren't we all? -- and that these song lyrics are meant to describe Logan's and/or Scott's feelings towards Jean. Certainly, they resonate best with the visual imagery in the middle of the OP where we have Wolverine walking away from Jean and Cyclops. But yeah ... try applying these lyrics to Professor X and Magneto and you very quickly get every Stewart-McKellen yaoi fangirl's dream. Or just try applying them to the X-Men in general! Do these sorts of lyrics really make sense for a special ops team that is combating prejudice at home and genocide abroad? I mean ... I guess you could say they do, but ... OH COME ON, YOU KNOW THEY'RE TOO CHEESY AND SAPPY FOR THE X-MEN! Don't make me explain it!

Okay, so speaking of Scott x Jean x Logan ... that's probably the best part of this OP and the part that best fits the claim that this OP is "oh so Japanese." Hooooooooooly shit does that part of the OP feel like it's been plucked straight out of an anime! So anime-ey. So, so classic. Everything else you see you could ascribe to a Western production of the X-Men, maybe, but that middle bit there just ... bam. It tells you you're watching an anime.

Watching the Japanese OP has made me really long for an X-Men anime. I'm aware that there have been ... projects. Five-minute trailers or half-hour direct-to-DVD mini-films that deal with the X-Men (or an X-Man) and are animated by a Japanese animation studio. But those don't count. What I want is a full length, 200+ episode X-Men anime handled by a great studio who is used to this sort of endeavor. Given their recent work on manga adaptations, one of which was the lengthy Hunter x Hunter, I'd tap Madhouse for the project. I'd like to think that they would adopt one of the best modern artist's character designs for the X-Men and would then just go ahead and animate an entire 200-episode series around them. I'd watch that.

Western '90s OP song is still the best though.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:09 AM   #211
Mercutio
Banned

Well I mean the X Men manga(s) is kind of... blah. It has a lot to recommend it but also a bit of the kind of stuff Japan does that is just not ok in any other culture along with the more understandable tropes that we lack in the West. I can't imagine an animé would be any better.

90s Spiderman is best theme song.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #212
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Ohey this thread exists.

I didn't want to keep spamming the BTAS thread with general Batman/superhero stuff but I kinda wanted to mention I was so desperate for more BatFam material I watched Holy Musical B@man (by the same people who did A Very Potter Musical if anyone's heard of it) and actually understood all the nerdy references holy shit what was happened to me. It's an affectionate parody of not just Batman but the superhero genre that may tickle your fancy if you're into that sort of thing. The whole thing's available on YT via Team Starkid's channel. It's admittedly a bit weak at first and the music's not all that great compared to their other works but it gets better as soon as Robin shows up (of course *shot*). This pretty much sums up the complaints registered against child crimefighting, as the show makes a lot of fair criticisms and cracks at the ridiculousness of comic book worlds (like the fact all of Batman's villains are corny characters themed after their headgear and are only famous because he screws up and lets them kill people 8DDDD). Doesn't stop the writers/actors from thinking they're cool and totally awesome though. =3=b (Or me from squealing over the ambiguously gay duo family bromance.)

P.S. I may or may not intend to watch it at this point but I'd love it if the upcoming Batman v Superman movie goes down like this, scream included.

P.P.S. I really hope the rumor that Jared Leto's Joker is actually Jason Todd doesn't turn out to be true. No more maniac Robins please.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 09-04-2015 at 10:50 AM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #213
Mercutio
Banned

Ehh, Jason Todd does have precedence for taking on identities used by the Joker. I hadn't heard that rumour before now, it could be amusing.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #214
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Ehh, Jason Todd does have precedence for taking on identities used by the Joker. I hadn't heard that rumour before now, it could be amusing.
The evidence presented so far has been really weak IMO, mostly relating to the tattoos he has (the "J" on his cheek matches up with Todd's branding by the Joker in the Arkham Knight game, and the wing could be a reference to Robin). The most probable piece I just came across might be the fact he appears to have two scars that match up with marks on the destroyed Robin suit in the Batcave (bigger pics 1 & 2 for comparison) but idk it still seems a stretch to me. Could just be a coincidental smudge. *shrug* People were going wild over him tweeting a pic of his silhouette wearing a hat similar to the one Joker wore in The Killing Joke too apparently.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #215
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

THIS WEEK ON SUPER EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN:

Our extraordinary heroes find themselves pitted against a foe that was sealed away millennia ago.

After a sneak attack that leaves Professor X on the verge of death and them powerless, Mystique and her fellow X-Men must find a new source of power before the world is taken over by Ivan Ooze.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #216
Talon87
時の彼方へ

There's a car ad on TV right now that the makers of Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice helped to make. And in it, Affleck-Batman says:
Quote:
You can't have a hero ... without a villain.

The world needs villains.

And villains ... need cars.
Putting aside that this is ripped straight out of Fate/stay night, Unbreakable, and a number of earlier works ...

That middle line ... "the world needs villains" ... isn't that something Batman would never say?

I mean, I get the philosophical "truth" behind it, but wouldn't the character of Batman be fundamentally opposed to accepting that truth? Wouldn't he be on the opposite pole, believing that trading in all the world's heroes would be worth it if we could secure a world without villainy?

Serious question for serious Batman fans. Everyone else, like me, is more than welcome to weigh in too.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #217
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

my god is everything attached to batman v superman a pile of wank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:21 AM   #218
Sneaze
Mrow?

So, Batman has had viewpoints that fall in line with that statement in the past, though he's never outright said anything of the sort. However, almost all of these times have fallen in the Frank Miller Batman saga, which is pretty much universally hated aside for supplying the world with such great dialog as "What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:25 PM   #219
Loki

Finished the new season of Daredevil. Amazing stuff. A much stronger season than the first.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #220
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

If you like superheroes you may like JL8!

(now with Regular Updates)
Old 04-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #221
Mercutio
Banned

'Regular'
Old 04-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #222
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

the author has decided to release long pages over monthly (?) intervals. I would rather he update more often with less, but he has made his bed and will now proceed to lie in it.

New arc is a lot of fun though. Batman's date was surprisingly adorable, but the green lantern camping expedition was a total slog.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #223
Mercutio
Banned

Agree. Although I must say I do not care for Power Girl.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #224
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Oh god right in the feels.

JL8 continues to update! Enjoying bruce/karen's date more than I thought I would.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #225
Mercutio
Banned

So er.

New Hulk and Iron Man comics anyone?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment