Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #3951
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
And yet had he not chosen what he did he would have done precisely nothing. Or not nothing per se, he would have just bounced your TGHL which is a forgivable loss. There was play and judgment there. If he didn't have Zerofyne? Not much he could have done.
Excition (especially with Hysteric Sign set). Or, summon several Harpie Lady #1's and beatstick over my Synchros. Either way, I think that if he drew that many Elegant Egotists, that should have been a dead hand. Not a hand that, because of XYZs, means that the only card of his that was ultimate dead turned out to be Hysteric Sign, and only because I disrupted his combo.

Quote:
Yes, because stun decks like Harpies don't exist because they get shit on by alllllllll the OTK decks in the game. You know, the Dark Matter/Atlantean/Mermail/Qliphort/Shaddoll/Masked HERO/Ritual Beast decks, and at best, people one run 1 extra Solemn Judgment. People don't main traps right now, unless its Qliphort or Infernity who quite frankly have far better traps to be running like Lose a Turn and Infernity Barrier. This doesn't even apply.
I wonder how true that would be if you took Denko, Storm and HFD out of the picture. OTK decks lose hard against backrow and the game will naturally converge on backrow if mass punishment doesn't exist.

Quote:
You can have proactive stun monsters. None of those monsters need anything on your opponent's side of the field to be useful, because they force your opponent's plays. Now they have to summon something bigger than Felgrand. Now they have to work around Pleiades and summon two answers to it. Now they need to bait Infinity. These monsters don't have to react to _anything_ to be useful.

(This also ignores some other potential applications, such as Pleiades bouncing cards like Fire Formation - Tenki or Call of the Haunted).
They're only proactive in the sense that they have high enough attack power to aggro successfully, effect-wise they're still 100% reactive. Those effects require interaction from the opponent to be useful, except in the case of Pleiades bouncing a spent COTH or something. Again, a proactive strategy doesn't really require any interaction or exchange between players. Loops and OTks are at the extreme of this. First turn Tour Guide into Dante would be similar.

I designed Stardust Stun to be proactive, but because of the low consistency and bad cards, I've found that going second and taking a reactive approach to be more successful. Which is very annoying as it reduces the "stun" potential, but it's a function of the current meta where there are tons of backrow and my deck can't tolerate any form of disruption.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #3952
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Bluffing!

Reckless Greed gave me two worthless MST, and I was able to intimidate the opponent because of it. In reality, I had dead, scoop-worthy hand. But I didn't scoop immediately thinking he might give up himself.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #3953
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
People who quit confuse me. You literally don't know what might happen until it does. Sort of like when people playing BA scoop against any floodgate when they have an out to all of them (at least I think Dark Law can be Rockstar'd).
Old 03-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #3954
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
People who quit confuse me. You literally don't know what might happen until it does. Sort of like when people playing BA scoop against any floodgate when they have an out to all of them (at least I think Dark Law can be Rockstar'd).
I'm with you. Some people on UPN scoop because they get disheartened easily. Others on UPN, including Doppel, scoop because of time management. ("Odds I still win: 16%. Time to play the game out: 15 minutes. Not worth the time.") There are all sorts of different mindsets on UPN. But I'm with you. (Though for me I suppose it depends on the game. Pokémon and YGO, it's not over 'til it's over. Go, you forfeit when you can tell that you've lost.)
Old 03-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #3955
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Well, I've been through enough games to know when some situations are almost an instant-loss. First turn monster floodgate is usually one of them, as I internally know what outs I have (none) so then it becomes a time management issue. Even if I have the out, can I do a combo? If no, scoop, because I won't be able to stop the opponent's push during the next turn and the chances are low I'll draw the necessary combo piece AND not be disrupted.

In the Blackwing player's case, I had spun his Gale so his Pinaki was dead meat. He could have Normal Summoned Gale and used its effect (since I was locked by Reckless Greed) so if there's fault its in that.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-27-2015, 12:07 AM   #3956
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Hi I'm Kin and I like this banlist

I also find it amusing how Drulers were knocked off the table in time for Chuunibyou Dragon.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #3957
Emi

Quote:
Mirror Force Dragon
Light Dragon / Fusion / Effect
LV8 2800/1200
Must be Special Summoned by “The Fang of Critias” sending “Mirror Force” you control or have in your hand to the Graveyard, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (1) When a monster you control is targeted for an attack or an opponent’s card effect: You can destroy all cards your opponent controls.
I can't believe they gave it the Battleguard Howling buff. Or did it always work on targeting effects and I just didn't watch the anime or summat.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #3958
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

According to the Anime Card on DN, it's anime effect not only didn't work on card effects, but only worked when it was attacked and only when the opponent's monster has a higher ATK (also it then inflicted battle damage in a really weird way). So yeah buffs all around.

Critias+Holes when. Critraptrix deck when.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #3959
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Critias+Holes when. Critraptrix deck when.
Probably never. Considering its being released in a set that's all about pure Anime fanservice its likely never going to happen.

Am curious on what they will do with Doom Virus Dragon. Maybe they'll actually give it CCVs old effect.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #3960
Emi

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Raidraptor_-_Fuzzy_Lanius

ITS SO FUZZY (AND NERFED)

No more Triple Strix but hell yes this is good.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:09 AM   #3961
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Dammit no Blaster nerfs fire kings I am sads
Quote:
Old 03-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #3962
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Over-extension, ITT.

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #3963
phoopes
Double Dragon

>Playing Cyber Dragons
>Want to make game
>Overload Fusion -> Chimeratech Overdragon
>Banished 12, 9600 Attack
>Limiter Removal, 19200 Attack
>
>Magic Cylinder
>
Old 03-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #3964
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Did that really happen? I'd imagine it's rather un-common in this day and age, what with big monsters and Magic Cylinder not seeing a lot of play.

Still. Forbidden Lance man. Do you run it?! :O
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #3965
Emi

Forbidden Lance is staple in Cydra Decks because of how easily Power Bond damage can kill you. xfd
Old 03-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #3966
phoopes
Double Dragon

I do indeed run Forbidden Lance. Just didn't have any copies available at the time.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #3967
phoopes
Double Dragon

Was playing with Cyber Dragons against one of those ZW Utopia decks. I ended up getting Infinity with 8 XYZ materials lol. I personally had never seen anything with more than four before.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #3968
Emi

Why did he keep summoning things in Attack Mode???
Old 03-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #3969
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Why did he keep summoning things in Attack Mode???
He went first, summoned some ZW monster, Special Summoned Kagetokage, then XYZ'd into Number 39: Utopia. Following this he overlayed Number C39: Utopia Ray, then overlayed Number S39: Utopia the Lightning. So he had Utopia the Lightning with four materials attached. I went second, summoned some form of Cyber Dragon, Instant Fusion'd Panzer Dragon, XYZ'd Cyber Dragon Nova, then overlayed Infinity and stole his monster to get Infinity with eight materials. I attacked directly for 3700, he drew once, then promptly quit.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:46 PM   #3970
Emi

That's not how it works. It works exactly the same as Number 101, all the materials would be detached.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #3971
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
That's not how it works. It works exactly the same as Number 101, all the materials would be detached.
...I've been playing 101 the same way and no one has ever corrected me. Good to know!

EDIT: And everyone I've played against has kept the materials too. Man, that's a real bummer.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #3972
Emi

Quote:
Am curious on what they will do with Doom Virus Dragon. Maybe they'll actually give it CCVs old effect.
Called it.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #3973
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Reckless Greed or Hobans?

Who uses what in what
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #3974
Emi

I'm pretty sure none of my main decks right now use either.

On decks I have on the side, Volcanics and Ritual Beasts use Upstart.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #3975
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Preliminary data from the new format - if you run a deck that spams beaters, like the now dead Dragon Rulers and Dark Matter decks, it always pays to run Upstart. In fact, it should always be staple. The huge attack points of those monster decks more than make up for Upstart's cost.

I don't know how Reckless fits into this yet, just that Upstart is probably not an auto-include in Rank 4 or my own deck this format.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment