UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 03-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #351
Charminions
Your reality is mine

My interest in watching this kind of died down thanks to all the interference plus me just feeling burned out, so I think I'll only be following the TPP subreddit just to see gems like this:

Spoiler: show
Old 03-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #352
Torkoal Stu
This

They're already at Whitney?

I'm impressed!

Totodile still hasn't evolved though, hopefully they'll enter Democracy when he gains his next level so he can make it~
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #353
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
It's sad how most of my knowledge of the stream is reliant upon this, as the school blocks Twitch :c

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #354
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
Totodile still hasn't evolved though, hopefully they'll enter Democracy when he gains his next level so he can make it~
I think what you mean to say is, "Hopefully he'll gain a level the next time they're in Democracy." They can't enter Democracy by will anymore, only exit. Totodile just gained a level right this minute (25 --> 26) and of course it was canceled -- Democracy Mode is forty-five minutes away. (EDIT: Ten minutes ago as of post submission. 35 minutes until Democracy.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
They're already at Whitney?

I'm impressed!
Me too. While I'm not terribly thrilled with the prospect that they can easily get Celebi in this game by giving Kurt a GS Ball and then going to the Ilex Shrine, they have yet to do so afaik and so I don't think any significant interference from the ROM's in-built hacks have come up yet. Which means that what they've accomplished thus far has largely been the same as what we could have expected from an unhacked GSC run. While we have to remember that they've logged some 29 hours thus far -- it's not the same thing as when you or I "played for a day" back in 2000 but really only logged 6 to 8 hours in that day -- this is still a much faster rate than what they did in TPP1 if I recall correctly. There their calculated rate came out to something like 8x slower than a normal person. Here it feels like their rate would only be 3x to 4x slower: a marked improvement.

As far as I know they have yet to use the PC to deposit anybody. The combination of the Odd Egg and Bill's Eevee are almost certain to motivate PC usage, particularly since so much of the current lineup is quite weak. But I wonder if they'll hold off on using the PC until they absolutely must. Which, as far as I know, wouldn't be until Tohjo Falls! (Correct me if I'm wrong but the hangup with Feraligatr is Waterfall, yes? Not Surf nor Whirlpool.) So it's conceivable that they could avoid using the PC until as late as post-Gym 8 ... in which case we might expect their team to consist of not only an incredibly overleveled Feraligatr but also some respectably-leveled weaklings, their levels making up for their poor base stats.

Which would make losing them to PC hijinx all the worse. ^^; Perhaps it's for the best that they risk the PC now after all rather than putting it off until Tohjo.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #355
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the hangup with Feraligatr is Waterfall, yes? Not Surf nor Whirlpool.
That is correct.

Also: Whitney beat!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #356
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Through a combination of level-strength and good luck, they beat Whitney on what I believe was their first try. Totodile was Level 26; Miltank, Level 20. What did Miltank in was the A.I.'s poor decision to aim for a Level 1 Rollout when it was already at ~20% to 25% HP. What it really needed to do was to either a) go for flinch hax via Stomp, b) have Whitney use a potion, or c) use Milk Drink. It had used Milk Drink once before to great effect (and to the great consternation of the crowd), but for whatever reason it opted to not use it here. Cost it the game.

Totodile is still at Level 26, though he gained so much experience from defeating Miltank that he is very close to hitting Level 27. If they can time it just right, they might be able to get themselves their Croconaw.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #357
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
I think what you mean to say is, "Hopefully he'll gain a level the next time they're in Democracy." They can't enter Democracy by will anymore, only exit. Totodile just gained a level right this minute (25 --> 26) and of course it was canceled -- Democracy Mode is forty-five minutes away. (EDIT: Ten minutes ago as of post submission. 35 minutes until Democracy.)
Ah I didn't realise the change in Democracy/Anarchy. Interesting.

Quote:
Me too. While I'm not terribly thrilled with the prospect that they can easily get Celebi in this game by giving Kurt a GS Ball and then going to the Ilex Shrine, they have yet to do so afaik and so I don't think any significant interference from the ROM's in-built hacks have come up yet. Which means that what they've accomplished thus far has largely been the same as what we could have expected from an unhacked GSC run.
I didn't realise this hack handed them the GS Ball either, that's a little bit much if you ask me. Like fair enough using a hack but one that hands you a Celebi? It looks like the Twitchers won't make it back to the Ilex Forest to collect Celebi anyway but I think it would cheapen the feel of the run for me a bit.

Quote:
Which would make losing them to PC hijinx all the worse. ^^; Perhaps it's for the best that they risk the PC now after all rather than putting it off until Tohjo.
I think it would be unfortunate if we were stuck with this bunch of six until the eighth gym, hopefully they can that risk. It'd be nice to get Sudowoodo/Eevee/Odd Egg in the mix.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #358
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the first winning command in the latest Democracy Mode was of course "anarchy". They're back out, and it'll be another hour before they can go back in. (Well, 53 minutes. Took a while to post this.)
Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #359
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

No Kyro. Bad Kyro. Control your wallet, Kyro.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #360
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

In TPP Red, they solved the Surge gym puzzle on their first try.

In TPP Crystal, Whitney's demon Miltank was slaughtered on the first try.

They can do the things that tortured our younger selves with ease, but it took them hours to cut down a tree. Goddamn.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #361
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Totodile is fucking boring. Why would you deposit everyone but Totodile. At least get Togepi back. Togepi was the shit.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #362
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Why to you is Totodile boring?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #363
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Deuces, Sentret

Old 03-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #364
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

I don't think Moses Bird will ever be a thing Have they released anyone yet?
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #365
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
Sentret.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #366
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Why to you is Totodile boring?
It's a very high level and usually kills everything with little effort while everyone else is a very low level and dies instantly.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #367
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
His name is Brian.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #368
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Empress View Post
It's a very high level and usually kills everything with little effort while everyone else is a very low level and dies instantly.
So ... was Bird Jesus boring to you too? Did you want them to release Bird Jesus after he utterly destroyed Erika in the battle for the fourth gym badge? Not trying to put you on the spot. Just trying to establish if there's actually more to this than "because he's a high level and kills everything with ease."
Old 03-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #369
Mercutio
Banned

Totodile is, in fairness, the boring option. Easily the most useful in game starter and fairly unidimensional.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #370
Lady Kuno

Quote:
So ... was Bird Jesus boring to you too? Did you want them to release Bird Jesus after he utterly destroyed Erika in the battle for the fourth gym badge? Not trying to put you on the spot. Just trying to establish if there's actually more to this than "because he's a high level and kills everything with ease."
Watching Pidgeotto/Pidgeot fight was like a dance with death. Will it do useless moves the entire battle? Maybe! Who knows! But the other pokemon on the team were also useful for most of the game. Right now we have 2 badges and Totodile has a solid 20 levels on everyone else.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #371
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Watching Pidgeotto/Pidgeot fight was like a dance with death. Will it do useless moves the entire battle? Maybe! Who knows! But the other pokemon on the team were also useful for most of the game. Right now we have 2 badges and Totodile has a solid 20 levels on everyone else.
Would you like Totodile more if he had less reliable moves then? Would you say that Zapdos was boring in TPP1 because of how reliably it dealt damage? Would you prefer it if the RNG determined whether new moves are learned (and, if learned, which moves they overwrite) rather than the Twitch players powwowing on Reddit to plan everything out and map a pretty solid moveset for the guy?

Many people have claimed that the more organized the playthrough is, the less enjoyable it is to watch or follow. I've read many express the view that an organized TPP is basically the world's shittiest Let's Play whereas a chaotic TPP makes for more spectacle when goals are reached. I'm not sure to what extent I agree or disagree or where I even draw the line(s) in the sand myself. But I wonder if your views on the difference between Totodile and Pidgeot indicate that you share this belief.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #372
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Would you like Totodile more if he had less reliable moves then? Would you say that Zapdos was boring in TPP1 because of how reliably it dealt damage? Would you prefer it if the RNG determined whether new moves are learned (and, if learned, which moves they overwrite) rather than the Twitch players powwowing on Reddit to plan everything out and map a pretty solid moveset for the guy?

Many people have claimed that the more organized the playthrough is, the less enjoyable it is to watch or follow. I've read many express the view that an organized TPP is basically the world's shittiest Let's Play whereas a chaotic TPP makes for more spectacle when goals are reached. I'm not sure to what extent I agree or disagree or where I even draw the line(s) in the sand myself. But I wonder if your views on the difference between Totodile and Pidgeot indicate that you share this belief.
Totodile having shittier moves means it would get KOed more often and things would balance out (other pokemon would get exp, more blackouts). Right now its only non-damaging move is out of PP and it's just wrecking face.

Zapdos wasn't boring because he was obtained near the end of the game and also got very little screentime until the end. There really wasn't a time when he was put in front and murdered everything, most of his XP came from e4. Plus he was kind of "earned" making him awesome.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #373
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Current team:
  • Level 32 Croconaw
  • Level 13 Hoothoot
  • Level 13(?) Drowzee
  • Level 10 Togepi
  • Level 6 Caterpie
  • Level 5 Smoochum
Daycared Pokémon:
  • Level 18 Pidgey
PCed Pokémon:
  • Level 7 Wooper
  • Level 15 Hoothoot
Releases:
  • Level 7 Sentret
Old 03-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #374
Lady Kuno

#teamtogepi

Old 03-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #375
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
#teamtogepi
I support the Togepi Movement!

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON