UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

HALO Legends

Gawd. Japan is so obnoxious.

Another chastising America anime about the nuclear bomb drops. Samurai Elites doing entirely stereotypical Japanese things. Then they compare the Elite's history of indoctrination into the Covenant with Japan's industrialization/westernization and how it killed the Samurai/Arbiter code of bushido.

After that there's a DBZ-ish parody, an angsty soldier in a super combat mecha suit, and a bunch of other dumb 15 minute (plus another 6 minutes of credits) episodes. The only respectable episode was the 8th, which had Spartans doing gun fu as they ran through an Elite ship trying to rescue someone. The dialogue was pretty bad, but the rest was okay.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Halo has an anime? :/
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
Loki

Yes, it came out like 3 days ago. Microsoft commissioned multiple animation directors to make their own anime depictions of HALO. Aside from the first two, Origin and Origins 2, all of them are independently done and aren't connected.

I'm not a big fan of HALO (since HALO 3 was balls to the wall bad), but was curious about the results of their work. I wasn't impressed and am now more annoyed with Japan.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Did you see the Matrix and Batman anthologies? Compare to those if yes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Loki

Hahaha. Batman anime.

Okay, here's the thing- in the Batman anthology, all the stories we're Batman stories with their setting in Gotham and their mood still being Batman-y. Granted, there was one episode with Anime-Bishounen Bruce Wayne that FREAKS YOUR MIND, it was still Batman.

The problem with these HALO animes is... it's HALO, it looks like Covenant aliens, yet all the Elite's apparently make Japanese style towers/castles. They have the technology to make laser swords, yet someone decided to wear traditional Samurai armor. They have the power of space-flight, yet there's a guy who looks like a boatman from feudal Japan. And not just that, like said, many of the episodes have hidden messages that make reference to supposed injustices made to Japan by America i.e. the Nuking, the forcing of trade agreements from Commodore Perry.

OKAY! WE'RE SORRY WE ENDED THE WAR YOU STARTED!

Really? They wear those in space?

I'm sure all aliens had samurais in their culture.

Then there's the episode titled Prototype. Basically the guy's squad is assigned with the mission to destroy a prototype so the enemy cannot take it. But apparently his previous squad was slaughtered and since then he has been all angsty. "My team died. I failed at life. I'm already dead." Of coarse at the end he finds out he's 'human' and not a ghost... then he blows up.

Let's then follow SPARTAN-1337, the idiot SPARTAN. He fights a giant ape dropped down by the Covenant and fought in a DBZ style with a pair of apparent super powered children. o.O; Funny for about 3 minutes... out of 16 minutes maybe.

So basically they were Japanese movies under the guise of HALO. Now, that wasn't in ALL the episodes.

Like I said, the final one was decent, the episode named "The Package". But not because it had story or anything vital about it. It was basically the video games brought to... um... 3D digital film. Basically it had a squad of SPARTAN-IIs shooting their way through an Covenant warship decimating all opposition with gun fu and some Sword fighting and space dog fighting. It was mindless shooting and cool visuals. Which actually makes it beat the actual HALO 3 in those respects (HALO 3 has no story, awful cinematics, and mindless shooting).

Okay, still images don't capture Gun Fu too well. But there's references to the in-game HUD and similar ridiculousness of the game's RUN IN AND SHOOT BECAUSE YOUR SHIELDS RECHARGE AND THE ENEMY SUCKS.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime