UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #51
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I'll wait 'til next week. Will read it should next week's episode seemingly confirm my expectations. Will abstain should next week's episode either seemingly confirm something else or else not confirm anything of any sort.
Now say that ten times real fast.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #52
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Hahaha, this is pretty funny.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #53
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
Just started this manga, and I must say, it is absolutely amazing.

I'm only on chapter 21, and this is easily one of the best manga I've read.

It's a different style than most, being seinen and all, but it's good.

..... That's all.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #54
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 08:

So ...

Spoiler: show
That wasn't exactly what I expected. I had expected the "Eren pilots a Titan/giant/Eoten" outcome, but not by the end of Episode 07: rather, at its beginning. I expected the possibility that he'd show up having revealed that the Titans/giants/Eotena were robots or some such and he was controlling the one which "ate" him from inside it. But once we saw "Eren the Titan/giant/Eoten" last week, I definitely tossed that theory out as improbable and, as you all saw, ran full steam ahead with the chimera theory. Glad to see that I was wrong.

However ... we're still not out of the "Talon is hatin' on this dumb series" woods yet. Though this episode did do a lot to rectify that, let's continue discussing the episode's ending first, which was by all means my least favorite part of the affair. Eren the Human, it turns out, was in the nape of the neck of Eren the Titan/giant/Eoten. When Eren the Titan/giant/Eoten dies, it starts to rot (um, why? ), and out pops Eren the Human. One thing that's stupid is, he's wearing 80% of his human clothing yet not the other 20%. Where is his jacket? Where are his gas tanks? And yet his other clothing's all accounted for? Another thing that bothers me is, how come we've never seen humans pop out of the necks of any of the other Titans/giants/Eotena? Even if you want to argue that it's because they're dead (from the necks, which is where they're situated, being hacked-'n'-slashed), shouldn't the scientists of this city-state do an autopsy on the giants and discover body parts of normal-sized human beings inside the neck area? The third thing which bothers me is the lol-ridiculous idea of Eren getting his limbs back thanks to the regenerative powers of the Titan/giant/Eoten ... regenerative powers which his version was specifically shown to not possess? ^^; I dunno, it was just silly. All I can say for it positively is, AT LEAST IT THROWS OUT THE STUPID CHIMERA IDEA! So I'm glad for that, at the very least, and can keep watching for now in decent spirits.

Now let's move on the rest of the episode, which is where this week really shone. I said it last time and I'll say it again here: I friggin' love what they've done with Jean and Armin. TBH, I'm kinda disappointed that we got Eren back. 'Cause it would've been very, very bold of the author to have killed him off permanently and to have made the series' true star Jean.

Jean is a fascinating character. He's the guy who started off as a bit of a cowardly asshole who shirked a leadership role and just wanted a cushy job in the palace. But life thrusts upon him a leadership role which he quickly finds that he's incredibly well-suited for, even if he doesn't want it. He's that guy that you'd never have been rooting for by Episode 4's end where the series had kind of established him to be a soft villain and yet by the end of Episode 8 you're like "This guy is amazing. MORE JEAN PLEASE." You've all watched the episode so I won't bore you with a play-by-play of what all he did this week. Just suffice to say that I thought it was always great, always entertaining to watch, and very often thought-provoking.

Armin's another character who has really started to shine now that the camera is off of Eren. Even if it's a huge cliche of children's stories where a ragtag group of children take on an impossibly dangerous threat in the absence of any competent adults, I did like seeing Armin serve this series' role as the tactical genius of the group, and I was quite satisfied with how well his plan played out in the end. Armin's another character that I enjoy watching, even if his incessant high-pitched whining can get a bit grating at times. ^^;

The other supporting characters were fine too. Reinard [sp] and Annie are okay, neither bad nor great. Connie continues to be good and I'm glad he didn't die this week. I also like the hunter girl, though I do feel bad for her that of all the cadets, she's the one who flubbed and she's also the one who "cowardly" (, I dunno that I'd call that cowardly in that situation ... ) begged for her life. Even the freckle-faced friend of Jean's wasn't too bad this week. (Though I was sort of confused by one part where it seemed like he got grabbed mid-flight by a Titan/giant/Eoten and killed? Was that some other dude?)

So anyway ... am I going to keep watching? For now, sure, but I don't exactly have high expectations for this series anymore. Its writing has definitely dipped somewhat perilously down to Mirai Nikki levels, and if it ends up anything like Mirai Nikki, well, let's just say that I won't be the only one moaning and groaning each week. So let's hope I'm wrong and let's hope things improve from here on out.

Since I'm not dropping the series just yet, I'm not expanding any of your guys' spoiler boxes between last week's episode and this week's. So if you want me to read them, you'll need to speak up saying whether or not they're safe for someone who's seen through Episode 08 to click on or not.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #55
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Not going to watch it until Statler comes online.

DCD: You know Morg, the more I watch Shingeki no Kyojin, the more I think Eren looks like his mother.
Morg: What does his mother look like?
DCD: Titan food!
D/M: Dohohohohohoho!!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #56
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Episode 8!

The average height of titans is 15 meters... but apparently there are some that are only 3-4 meters tall. That has to make swallowing humans whole a challenge. Also it seems they are the ones with "Moe Eyes", so maybe that means they are like titan children?

So I wonder if Eren actually became a titan, or if he was just a host organism for one. He popped out of the neck, so that would explain the weak spot. It must be like a "pilot chamber", so that when you cut the neck, you kill the human pilot inside. So why was Eren the only one able to control his mech? Also, why was he the only one to emerge from the body after it was killed? If all the titans have human pilots, wouldn't some of them have been discovered?

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #57
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episooooooode 8

That explains the nape weakness. Don't like the idea of "biological mecha", that's even more blatant MLA copying. I'm very concerned about how the titan forms are attained - does Eren absorb matter from other titans or just eh-neeek-chock's himself into 15 metre form.

Here's hoping the others don't get the ability to go all titan. That would be eh, it ruins the series sense of fatalism and constricted action.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #58
The Morg

Episode 9!

Oh, well I guess that turns everything around and brings us back to where we started, i.e. what Doppleganger has been saying since episode 2.

It does confirm that the titans aren't mechas with human pilots inside them. It also suggests that humans aren't regularly turning into titans, since they retain their memories when they transform. If the titans all indeed come from humans, then they must have lost their memories over the hundred years and become more animal-like.

Memory loss = the mighty plot device. I was kind of hoping they wouldn't do something like this. By the way, he had this power all along, and we conveniently neglected to mention it!

Also, there's a Freddie titan!

Old 06-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #59
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode 9

I think Eren's a bit special and his origin might be different from the other titans, even if the end result is he's virtually identical to them. There was another show, I forgot which, where the hero had a power similar to the enemy, but it was analogous, not homologous. What was that? I'll probably remember at the oddest hour.

Loved the bit with the scared-as-fudge humans. The paranoid commander with his mortified eyes, I loved to hate how weak and cowardly he and his sniveling bunch were. Episode was exciting, all things considered.

That said, the spontaneous mass thing...don't like it. Mediated somewhat by showing "energy" emit out of Eren's body, so perhaps he's storing energy in a hidden place (like his mana sack? Only Mikasa would know, hah!) that converts into mass.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #60
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosuser View Post
So I wonder if Eren actually became a titan, or if he was just a host organism for one. He popped out of the neck, so that would explain the weak spot. It must be like a "pilot chamber", so that when you cut the neck, you kill the human pilot inside. So why was Eren the only one able to control his mech? Also, why was he the only one to emerge from the body after it was killed? If all the titans have human pilots, wouldn't some of them have been discovered?
Now where have I read this before ...?

Quote:
Episode 08:

Eren the Human, it turns out, was in the nape of the neck of Eren the Titan/giant/Eoten. When Eren the Titan/giant/Eoten dies, it starts to rot (um, why? ), and out pops Eren the Human. One thing that's stupid is, he's wearing 80% of his human clothing yet not the other 20%. Where is his jacket? Where are his gas tanks? And yet his other clothing's all accounted for? Another thing that bothers me is, how come we've never seen humans pop out of the necks of any of the other Titans/giants/Eotena? Even if you want to argue that it's because they're dead (from the necks, which is where they're situated, being hacked-'n'-slashed), shouldn't the scientists of this city-state do an autopsy on the giants and discover body parts of normal-sized human beings inside the neck area? The third thing which bothers me is the lol-ridiculous idea of Eren getting his limbs back thanks to the regenerative powers of the Titan/giant/Eoten ... regenerative powers which his version was specifically shown to not possess? ^^; I dunno, it was just silly. All I can say for it positively is, AT LEAST IT THROWS OUT THE STUPID CHIMERA IDEA! So I'm glad for that, at the very least, and can keep watching for now in decent spirits.
Oh. Right.

You guys should really read and comment on what your predecessors have said too, and not just offer your own tag teamed diary entries. Otherwise it's like you're doing this all on your own rather than enjoying the show along with the rest of us. I don't like that. Mind you, I can understand if you don't want to do it before writing up your own thoughts, unbiased, ... like I'm about to do to you two now with Episode 09. But still.

Episode 09:

Really didn't care for how this one opened, but once the episode finally returned the focus to what we were all wondering about since the end of the previous episode, it got a bit better.

The idea that Eren can now morph into a Titan/giant/Eoten just by making himself bleed and really focusing hard on it is preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty silly. ^_^; It also seems very strange that the giant he transformed into this time doesn't bear much facial structure resemblance to the one he transformed into last time. Maybe it's just because, as with the remainder of his body, he isn't fully transformed yet? Maybe once he is, his face'll resemble the face he had in Episodes 07 and 08? I dunno. Guess we'll find out and see. If he doesn't, then chalk this up as the first second of many small complaints.

I did appreciate the out-of-their-universe humor, in such an in-their-universe tense scenario, that Eren is all "I'd better not screw this one up! I'd better give the right answer!" and yet he then gives the most laughably bad answer / the answer most obvious to get them all killed. I mean, it's probably what most of us would've thought in the same confused position as his own! But still. I had been expecting some kind of surprisingly clever answer. Instead we just got "I'M HUMAN!" hahaha

As far as moving the plot along goes, the best part probably was the transformation scene -- not for the transformation itself, but for Eren's flashback to what his dad told him the day he injected Eren with some strange serum. My money is still on the serum facilitating Eren's transformation into a giant (given what else his dad said in the flashback), but I won't rule out the opposite possibility either: that perhaps Eren's been an experiment of his father's all along and that perhaps the injection he administered stayed Eren's transformation for just a few years longer. *shrug* Guess we'll find out. But yeah, my money's still with the rest of yours that it's a transformation-enabling serum, not a transformation-quelling one.

Glad the trio are on the run now since:
  1. it should mean that we're headed back to the Jaegar house soon, to find out what mysteries the basement holds
  2. it should mean that we're headed out of the city after that -- headed towards the great wilderness that lies beyond the walls -- in search of answers, presumably from Eren's father. This is nice since, honestly, there doesn't seem to be much left to do inside of the city.
Disappointed that Jean seems to be back to his quasi-villainous state. Then again, maybe that's not the case. Maybe he was more pissed off than anything that he and the others couldn't lift a finger to help Eren, Mikasa, and Armin out. *shrug* Guess we'll find out later.

The commander dude who was ordering Eren's execution a) seriously creeps me out with his creepy eyes and b) needs to get pwned or something. The entire time, I was hoping Mikasa would deal with him, as unrealistic as it might've been for her to be able to do anything, or that maybe just maybe the cannon folks would point the cannon several feet in front of him, fire it, and then he'd confusedly and terrifiedly look up at them and they'd be like, "Dude, we're not firing on a fellow human being. We don't know what we just saw, but killing Eren is not the answer." Sadly, that didn't happen, and so we're stuck with Creepy Eyes for at least another week, probably longer.

Now to read Morg's and Doppel's comments and see how much overlap they have this time!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #61
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Episode 9:

That guy at the start got his legs bitten off, so why did he have his legs when Levi checked on him?

But anyway, this episode answered some questions and arose some as well. That spark that Eren had that transformed him into the titan is the same spark that spawned the big titan. So maybe the big titan is another guy with that kind of power? Also I'm curious to know how Eren's dad knew that the walls would be broken down. I'm hoping for a higher government conspiracy to wipe out humans kind of thing, rather than Erens dad being able to see the future SOMEHOW.

I also like how Eren can't control his power immediately, and just manages to spawn some ribs and a face. I was expecting him to just know his power automatically like most other shows fail to explain, but it suprised me.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #62
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
Episode 9:

That guy at the start got his legs bitten off, so why did he have his legs when Levi checked on him?
They were two different characters. Levi and the other Episode 09 intro scene guy were both already Legionnaires with green capes; Eren and Thomas (the guy you were thinking of) were both still wearing their cadet uniforms and had not yet joined the Legionnaires before {recent events}, even though they were appointed there. Innocent mistake: it can be really hard to tell the lesser characters apart in this series. (I had the exact same difficulties last week with the one brown-haired boy who keeps complimenting Jean for his leadership skills.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
But anyway, this episode answered some questions and arose some as well. That spark that Eren had that transformed him into the titan is the same spark that spawned the big titan. So maybe the big titan is another guy with that kind of power?
Oh ho! :o Nice observation! Did not even remember that until you mentioned it. Maybe! Who knows.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #63
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've heard that a future titan is wearing Anne Frank's face. That's positively Hallowcaustic.

Quote:
You guys should really read and comment on what your predecessors have said too, and not just offer your own tag teamed diary entries. Otherwise it's like you're doing this all on your own rather than enjoying the show along with the rest of us. I don't like that. Mind you, I can understand if you don't want to do it before writing up your own thoughts, unbiased, ... like I'm about to do to you two now with Episode 09. But still.
I've read them...there's some overlap regarding the independent observation, though. The tag-team reviews are mostly to look for heckling opportunities, but there hasn't been a lot for SnK.

@Midge: Very nice, I wasn't thinking back on that. I don't like that development. Not in the slightest. It definitely subtracts some fatalistic mystique from the series and degrades it to what BBB would characterize as "shounen territory".
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 06-02-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I've read them...there's a not of overlap regarding the independent observation, though.
Did you not read this? ;p
Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #65
The Morg

Hmm, the "spark"

during the transformation is a lot more believable than teleportation. So maybe you're right that the tall titan was a human who suddenly transformed into a titan and back. It also had that skinless body much like Eren after his transformation. Maybe it's his dad?

Old 06-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #66
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosuser View Post
Hmm, the "spark"

during the transformation is a lot more believable than teleportation. So maybe you're right that the tall titan was a human who suddenly transformed into a titan and back. It also had that skinless body much like Eren after his transformation. Maybe it's his dad?
Possibly, Morg.

(continuing the speculative discussion; safe to click if you're through Episode 09)

While it does beg the question, "Why would Eren's father invite a titan invasion of his village and risk his wife's death? ", a death that indeed did happen, the appearance of the wall scaler does coincide fairly neatly with Eren's father's "business trip". It also begs the question, "Why would he endanger his son's and foster daughter's lives if he seems to care about them so much?" Like, we know Eren's dad cares at least somewhat for humanity, given his decision to adopt Mikasa and given his actions with the syringe + key with Eren in the woods, but like ... in that case, why lead a second attack on humankind? ^^; If the wall scaler is Eren's dad though, then it sure might explain why he didn't really seriously attempt to harm Eren.

Regardless of whether your theory is right or wrong, I definitely think Midgeorge is on the right track. Like you, I quite agree that:

disappearing because you transformed back into a 2-meter-tall human being sure does explain away the teleportation conundrum.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #67
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus

edit: probably shouldn't say that.

edit 2: probably shouldn't say anything at all. :/ I'll leave now...
Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #68
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus View Post
edit 2: probably shouldn't say anything at all. :/ I'll leave now...
That would be wise. ^^; I've edited my post now as well. Hopefully I'm the only one you spoiled.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #69
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

;_; I'm sorry

Last edited by Fallen Icarus; 06-02-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Fallen Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #70
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Episode 9

All the ways the above interaction can be used for comedic purposes if you tweak the subtitles to your likening!

What I got out of this episode besides that brilliant comedy tool was that the "WHAT ARE YOU SCENE?!" reminded me a lot of a manga called Tarot Café, which had a scene like this: a group of priests asking a woman if she believes in Satan as a way to determine whether to burn her as a witch or not. Now, logically you'd say "I don't believe in Satan", right? Well as soon as she said it, the priests answered "so you deny Satan which means you deny God which means you're a witch!". The scene in Kyojin reminded me a lot of this. Seriously, that Creepy Eyes Guy would have given the signal to fire at Eren no matter what he'd have said. As Armin said, the group's fears were running rampant as hell - which is kinda understandable in-universe.

Also, if anyone happened to notice: CAPTAIN LEVI. Levi of Awesomeness seems to be the Super Soldier of the previous generations (much like Mikasa is the Super Soldier of the current cadets) and has a neatfreak quirk. I like him already. On top of that...

I love Mad Scientist Woman. I do. And I have a distinct feeling we'll see more of her. Does she remind anyone else here of Ema Skye from Ace Attorney?
Old 06-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #71
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Man, I don't get you lot. You all laugh at the weirdest stuff. Talon/kaisap found the "what are you?" scene funny, but I found it pretty tense. BBB thought the cliff-hanger ending to Episode 9 was a riot, I was gripping my chair. I've found all the bone crunching, blood oozing gore and subliminal sexual violence to be uproarious beyond belief, but you all are horrified by it...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #72
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Man, I don't get you lot. You all laugh at the weirdest stuff. Talon/kaisap found the "what are you?" scene funny, but I found it pretty tense. BBB thought the cliff-hanger ending to Episode 9 was a riot, I was gripping my chair. I've found all the bone crunching, blood oozing gore and subliminal sexual violence to be uproarious beyond belief, but you all are horrified by it...
I didn't find the "what are you?" scene funny at all. It just reminded me of that particular scene in the manga I mentioned.

Unless you mean the part I screencapped,
which happened before the question was even asked and I do find it hilarious. Without the context of their situation, Armin's face right after Eren's "I'm soooo f*cking high" face seems ridiculous to me and I laughed pretty hard when it first popped up.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #73
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Okay, double-posting, but you're gonna love this!

The VAs of Eren, Mikasa and Connie performed the OP, Guren no Yumiya, in a radio show. The result was...interesting and hilarious.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #74
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Random, but when I saw you guys talking about laughing during some serious scene in episode 09, I didn't pay close attention to the words and thought it would be when...

...The neat freak guy was talking to the dying soldier, who asked, "Am I gonna die a useless man?"

I fully expected him to say, "Yes. Yes, you are."
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #75
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Random, but when I saw you guys talking about laughing during some serious scene in episode 09, I didn't pay close attention to the words and thought it would be when...

...The neat freak guy was talking to the dying soldier, who asked, "Am I gonna die a useless man?"

I fully expected him to say, "Yes. Yes, you are."
That would have been SO MUCH WIN! I NEED TO SEE THIS HAPPEN!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime