UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

View Poll Results: Which shall be the next main series release?
Pokémon XY2 4 13.33%
Pokémon Z 23 76.67%
a Gen 6 title that is neither XY2 nor Z 3 10.00%
the launch title for Gen 7 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Predictions: XY2, Z, Other

We're getting close to the point of no return so here goes a poll so that those who call it correctly can enjoy all the bragging rights.

Which do you think is going to happen next? (Choose only one.)
  1. Game Freak will release a Pokémon XY prequel or sequel, collectively termed XY2 for the purposes of this poll.
  2. Game Freak will release an Emerald-style re-release of XY, termed Z for the purposes of this poll.
  3. Game Freak will release some other 6th Generation game that the fandom acknowledges as a main series title but that is neither an XY2 nor a Z.
  4. Game Freak won't release any other main series titles in Generation 6. The next main series title will be the launch title for Generation 7.
Good luck, have fun. All votes are public for maximum effect. Poll closes in 30 days so that, per my expectation of a CoroCoro report in May 2015, no one can cheat by voting after the news has already been revealed.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I'd prefer XY2, but I don't think BW2 sold well enough to justify them trying sequels again given the significantly lower cost and effort involved in a repackaged third version as compared to a full sequel.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Personally, I wish we'd get an XY2, but then again, XY's story really didn't keep my interest and its a drag to play through, so I doubt a follow up would make me change my mind. I'm betting Z is more likely, since it's in line with how Gen 6 is currently: XY -> ORAS, so a Z makes sense. It's similar to how Gen 3 was like: RS -> FRLG -> Emerald, so...
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
Several reasons for Z:

1. Like DarkLucario mentioned - No interesting story to build on, unlike BW. In fact, I think BW are the only games so far to actually have an amazing story, amazing enough to warrant a proper sequel (which didn't deliver as much, in terms of the story, tbh, but it was great to have something to follow up on what happened in BW).

2. Zygarde forms an obvious trio with Xerneas and Yveltal, so, XYZ is in the same vein as RSE and DPPt. In all of those cases, the third legendary existed as a non-event legendary in the previous games, but had no in-game story. However, in this case, the third legendary also has worse stats, so it would likely be the focus of the next game and get a boost and become Mega/Primal/Ancient/Hyper Zygarde or something like that. This also happened with Giratina with the new Origin forme. This was also the case for Kyurem, but the way the story was built allowed them to go for BW2 with fusion, rather than Gray/Grey with just the normal Kyurem as the focus. But I do not see that happening here.

3. This also makes sense because the highlight of Gen 6 is Mega evolutions (or the like), and ORAS have stuck to that theme.

4. The Pokemon that have mega stones are random, and I still feel like the Mega story is somewhat incomplete. Plus the two main changes in Gen 6 - Mega evolutions and the Fairy type - were quite huge and they would likely be the focus for some more time, and they would probably not rush and add a few more new things. Hence no Gen 7 before another Gen 6 release.

(I might be wrong with some of the reasons here, as I haven't completed Emerald, Platinum, XY or ORAS yet. :P )

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Not gonna be a main-game in 2015 but early next year seems possible.

O-Gen 1: 4 games
O-Gen 2: 3 games
N-Gen 1: 5 games
N-Gen 2: 5 games
N-Gen 3: 4 games
N-Gen 4: 4 games (so far)

I've seen peeps say that theres 2 more "slots" for game in the data but that dun necessarily mean main-games, just 2 more places ta get pkmn from like we got from Box, or Colosseum, or Ranger in the past. GFs on about wanting to surprise people so a vanilla 3rd version, sequel(s), or even more remakes seem iffy. So I'ma go with "other" cause surprises are fun!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #6
Heather
Naga's Voice

I have the most hilarious reasoning for my vote.
Remember ORAS. Delta Episode. Slope is delta Y over Delta X: Y2-Y1/X2-X1
. You see where it goes.

If Gamefreak actually makes XY2 I will laugh my rear end off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #7
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Well really prefer a Z to be honest, I feel like like a single game is best overall and it would really fit with giving Zygarde the same kind of spotlight that Xernias and Yvetal received with their whole shebang fitting along with their respective versions.

I'd also rather the current story just be fleshed out, as opposed to essentially getting an entirely new one like we did in BW2, I rather much liked the main cast of BW1 and was sad to see them shoved into less relevant roles, I'd hate to see that happen with the XY cast. Although I would admit it would be cool to see the ginger kid grown up as a professor and the fat dancey guy be all dance professional and shit.

I'd also just assume that with the whole 3D thing and with what Concept mentioned in terms of sales that a Z is for more likely. Would be interested to hear what people would think "other" would be in this case.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:12 PM   #8
Heather
Naga's Voice

What would other be? I would only want it to be one thing, and that would be Orre. Many critics of Pokemon call it too formulaic, and Orre is a great break from that. Also I would just love to have Miror B because Miror B.

Quote:
Old 03-20-2015, 10:56 PM   #9
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I voted for Z, but there are those rumors on the internet that the Souvenir item someone gives you in a hotel is an indicator that we'll get a Gen 6 game in another region. This is also coupled with the smaller Pokedex of brand new Pokémon (I personally agree with those who say the reason for the smaller Pokedex is due to all the Mega Evolutions that were released).
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:35 AM   #10
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I was, amusingly enough, joking earlier, before I saw this thread, about XY2 where Zygarde fuses with Xmon or Ymon (cba to spelling). And that led to a mention that maybe that's how Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows become things, one tied to one and the other tied to the second.

I honestly want to see a repeat of BW2, because BW2 were such an improvement over the already great BW. So I'd love XY2. But I figure Z is more realistic.

EDIT: But no more fusions, please, unless it's Venustoise
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:16 AM   #11
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Voting Z just because Zygarde's Lore seems to fit so well with the plot of XY. It just seems like it would be the obvious solution to me: Team Flare carries out their plan, does all the things, and then Zygarde all comes in like "BRO YOU'RE MESSING WITH THE ECOSYSTEM AND THE NATURAL FLOW OF LIFE/DEATH PLEASE STOP". Although that might just be me adoring Zygarde. *shrug*
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm going to cast my vote for Z as well. Here's why:

For starters, I don't really put much stock in Masuda & Co.'s claims that they want to surprise us with the next title. It just smacks too much of typical gaming company PR bullshit, even coming from our beloved Game Freak, especially coming from one of the single most timid development teams I've ever known.

Second, for those who put a lot of stock in paying attention to the films and their content, it's pretty noticeable that neither Zygarde nor Volcanion have made appearances. We had Xerneas, Yveltal, and Diancie in the first Gen 6 film. Then we had Hoopa lassoing nearly every box cover legendary (and a handful of others) for the second Gen 6 movie. But neither Zygarde nor Volcanion are present in either film, to the best of my knowledge. So it seems probable that they're being saved for the third Gen 6 movie. Which suggests we're getting a third Gen 6 game before we migrate on over to Generation 7.

Third, as much as I adored BW2, sadly the fandom largely did not. Some complained about BW2's content. (Blasphemers!) Others didn't even bother to play, feeling the games were as justifiably written off as an Emerald or a Platinum. It wasn't true, but it's too late to be saying that now: the sales were lackluster and sent Game Freak the depressing message that sequels aren't the way to go. (Goddammit, people! ) So while I'd love to see an XY2 prequel or sequel, I think that a Z is a lot more likely.

Fourth, and kinda related to the point above, a Z is a lot less effort to make than an XY2. So if people aren't going to buy the game anyway, why put in all the effort? Why not simply take the easy way out? Enough people will still buy Z to make the Big N happy, and you can get away with allocating minimum resources to Z's development while the bulk of your star players are working on whatever is your next big, serious project.

Fifth, I feel like we're not ready to leave Kalos yet. We still have PokéMarseilles and the rest of the PokéFrench Mediterranean to visit. I'd also love to visit Corsica. (COR-SI-CA! COR-SI-CA! COR-SI-CA!) It's a shoe-in for the region's Battle Frontier, even if we already have Kiloude City on the map. (But fuck Kiloude City, man! ^^; That town can easily be repurposed to fill some other niche while PokéCorsica gets to be a fully fleshed-out Battle Frontier.) We also have the issue of the Kalos starters conspicuously lacking megas. It's awful tough for me to believe that Game Freak originally conceived of Mega Evolution as this big whole "UNIQUE TO THE KALOS REGION! " gimmick and yet didn't have plans for the flagship creatures to be the Kalos starters themselves. There's perhaps a lot to be said for the Kanto starters stealing the Kalos starters' spotlight, and maybe this is part of the reason why the Kanto ones were the ones to get mega forms first, I don't know. All I know is, it'd be really strange to invent mega evolution in the same generation that you deny its starters mega forms.

So for all of these reasons (and more), I reject the notion that we're done with Gen 6 already and I also believe we're likelier to get Z than XY2.

All this stated, I'd really love a well-done XY2, sequel or prequel. I keep mentioning the prequel only because:
  1. A prequel technically hasn't been done yet in the main series games and thus could be what Masuda & Co. were alluding to with wanting to surprise us. *shrug*
  2. A prequel could allow for exploration of the backstory with Professor Sycamore, Diantha, and Lysandre -- particularly if you start off, BW-style, as one of three children who are BFFs setting out on this adventure together. (So Diantha's the Bel, Lysandre's the Cheren, and you're the Hilbert/Hilda.) Even without that BW copycatting, it'd still stand to reason that a prequel could shed light on the semi-tragic backstory between those three characters, a backstory that is largely only alluded to, rarely if ever actually put on display, in XY proper.
That's kinda it though. I think a sequel would be easier for them to write, as a prequel necessitates that you don't have Team Flare ulti-lose yet, you don't have AZ doing much that is super fulfilling on his end, etc. and at the same time you also don't have the Professor making discoveries that jump ahead in line of the ones he has yet to make at the start of XY. So you probably have to introduce some other criminal organization for an XY prequel (if you're going to stick to the Game Freak formula), and that means that they're predictably defeated because duh they're not even around in XY1.

EDIT: Wow, holy cow, most of the community voted for Z as well. I expected it to be a little closer.

Also LOL + YES at how no one in our community has voted for the fourth option yet as of my cast ballot. I'm laughing because this one asshole on Bulbagarden is really, really adamant it's going to be that we jump straight ahead to Gen 7 and he condescendingly talks down anyone who tries to hold an opinion counter to his. Won't lie: his poor attitude is half the reason I felt like making this thread! XD
Old 03-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #13
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
Following your point about XY starters not having Mega evolutions, you can see that Diancie is so far the only Gen 6 poke to get a Mega (and according to my theory, Zygarde will be one of the next ones). I am starting to see Megas as a cute way they have devised as an alternative to retconning Pokemon that turned out to be competitively weaker than they would have liked, or as a way to boost the power of fan favourites (Mega Dragonite anyone?). This means that the next game (Z) would have megas for Pokemon belonging to those two categories, including some from Gen 6 (I would expect this list to include the starters).

But I would also say that I agree with Slash, in that the two moves - Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves - definitely leave open the possibility of an XY2 (unless they just turn out to be Zygarde's ways to keep Xerneas and Yveltal under control).

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #14
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Making mega evolution so tied into Kalos and then not giving a single pokemon introduced in Kalos a mega evo at gen VI launch was not one of Gamefreaks finer moments.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #15
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I'm still holding out for Fire/Fighting Mega Delphox
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The June 2015 issue of CoroCoro has started to leak, and from the look of things it doesn't contain any information on an XY2 or a Z:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serebii
The first images from CoroCoro have leaked and have revealed the first details about the upcoming movie, The Archdjinni of the Rings - Hoopa, as well as in-game details of its starring Pokémon, Hoopa. First, it reveals Hoopa Unbound's signature move of Hyperspace Fury and details that Hoopa changes form in-game by use of the Prison Bottle that is obtained from a clerk in the PokéMart after fulfilling the specific conditions. It also confirms Mega Latios and Mega Latias are in the movie.
However! Word has it that the next issue of Famitsu comes out on May 21 and that supposedly it's going to have a major bit of Pokémon news in it. We'll just have to wait and see whether this rumor is substantiated in the end or not.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #17
Heather
Naga's Voice

If we're going to see any Kalos follow up games, they have to come soon. The patterns as of late have been two years between a gen's debut and its sequel(s). However, I think we may end up just getting a Z after all-why? Because we got remakes this Gen. Note that Gen 5 were the only games to get full blown sequels-Gen 5 had no remakes contained in it, while gen's with remakes usually ended up getting a Crystal equivalent. For this reason, I see Z in the Future, but it leaves something unanswered. Thousand Arriws and Thousand Waves. These Zygarde moves, not yet officially released to my knowledge, would be of marvelous use to make an X/Y 2. And given that the pattern is two years between debut and sequel and we're running the clock on that, we might see full sequels at the price of an extra wait. However, I am thinking Z is more likely now.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2015, 12:04 AM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

May came and went. So too did June. It looks like the main series games are going to lay fallow this year, and so my expectations for a May 2015 CoroCoro reveal were completely off the mark.

That stated, the sneak peek for Summer 2016's Pokémon film suggests that Zygarde will play a prominent part and that he will have at least one new form. This has everyone convinced that we'll be getting the next main series game before Summer 2016. But since an announcement should've already come by now for a Fall 2015 release, and since August is pushing it even for a Winter 2016 release, it seems probable at this point that the next game in the series will come out Spring 2016. It'd be a tad strange for the game to come out after the movie, though I won't rule out a side-by-side Summer 2016 release either.

And because Zygarde appears to be a big deal in the glimpse we get of him, it seems all the more likely that we'll be getting either Pokémon Z or else Pokémon XY2. So the debate's back on: which, if either, will it be? Will it be a Z that we'll get, or will it be an XY2?

I still think it will be Z, but I still hope it will be XY2.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:32 PM   #19
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Yeah, right now my money's on Pokemon Z, though with it being the 20th anniversary a new generation would've been cool, or even a Kanto remake.

Hopefully the extra features will make Pokemon Z worth it if that is indeed what we're getting.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #20
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

We don't need a second fucking Kanto remake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #21
Mercutio
Banned

Counter proposal: we do need another Kanto remake and it would be sweet.

Supporting statement: if they remake Gen IV I will feel so old I may actually have a heart attack and die.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #22
Heather
Naga's Voice

If they remake Gen IV and I still have my Empoleon I hope they have a Mega Stone ready for him.

"I traveled around the world, bringing my immense power wherever I went, in search of yet more. After many years, I found it...back home."

Quote:
Old 08-03-2015, 03:14 PM   #23
Connor
Flashbacker

Kanto remake of a remake would be a dreadful call.

An entirely new story set within Kanto with a slightly revised map a-la B2W2?

Yes please.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #24
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

I am now leading a campaign to kill Kush by way of remaking Gen IV

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #25
deoxys
Fog Badge

One of my friends and my girlfriend are both against Kanto remakes and I don't particularly understand it as their only defense seems to be "not again".

Personally, I want one, but it needs to be done differently. I want a Kanto on the same level as XY/ORAS' graphical fidelity, but it needs to feel larger, and it just all around needs more work and expansion. Sevii islands don't cut it. Throw in a few more small towns, change up the story, make it feel bigger and better.

But I would definitely be all for another Kanto remake. FireRed and LeafGreen are pretty dated now. Give those of us who grew up with Gen I and watching the original series the game we dreamed we had and used our imaginations to pretend we were playing (although admittedly a new Kanto game probably still would not live up to those expectations).
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON