UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

B & W: 1.08 million sold day 1 (US)

Quote:
NEW POKÉMON VIDEO GAMES SHATTER U.S. SALES RECORDS

Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version Combine to Sell More Than 1 Million in a Single Day

REDMOND, Wash., March 8, 2011 – Two new Pokémon™ video games went on sale on March 6 and promptly shattered all previous U.S. Pokémon sales records. The Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version games for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems became the fastest-selling Pokémon video games of all time, selling more than 1.08 million units after just one day of availability. That surpasses the previous one-day sales record of more than 780,000 set by the Pokémon Diamond Version and Pokémon Pearl Version games in April 2007.

"Longtime Pokémon fans are attracted to the new Pokémon, new battle systems and a new region to explore, while newcomers enjoy the ability to jump in and have fun right away," said Charlie Scibetta, Nintendo of America's senior director of Corporate Communications. "These sales numbers illustrate the continued strength of the Nintendo DS family of systems. Already established as the nation's best-selling video game platform of all time, the installed base of more than 47 million makes it the ideal hand-held for developers to reach a huge gaming-focused target audience."

Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version feature more than 150 new Pokémon for players to catch, train and battle. The never-before-seen Unova region gives players a whole new world to explore. For the first time in the series, in-game environments change with the four seasons. The games also introduce Triple Battles and Rotation Battles, which give players even more choices when battling.

For more information about Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version, visit http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com.
Amazing. With 5 *real* PKMN games already on the DS ya wouldn't expect an increase or at least not one this huge. Its all in the names I tells ya. 5th Generation a winrar is you.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My boycott. *sniff, sniff* So ronery.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Again: book, cover.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Emp
Volcano Badge

What Jeri said. Out of curiosity, I looked back through your reasons for boycotting, the majority of which aren't valid (in my opinion) now that the games have been released and we know everything about them

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
What Jeri said. Out of curiosity, I looked back through your reasons for boycotting, the majority of which aren't valid (in my opinion) now that the games have been released and we know everything about them
You'll have to be more specific. I can tell you the reasons I'm still boycotting despite having played the game halfway through twice, once in Japanese and once in English. Didn't want to derail this thread, but since it looks like the vanilla lite post I made is going to generate a lot of trolly replies, may as well nip them in the bud now ...

Reasons Gen 5 Isn't As Hot As Everyone's Making It Out To Be

Graphics
Gen 4 (specifically HGSS) actually looks a hell of a lot better on average than Gen 5. Just put the two games side-by-side for a direct comparison if you don't believe me. Part of the problem is that GameFreak did a very lazy and half-assed job bringing Pokemon into the world of 3D, but I'm a fair man and I'm willing to put most of the blame on the limitations imposed by the screen resolution of the Nintendo DS itself. Often times you'll see (this is most prominent in the dock of Castelia City, so head there to confirm this for yourself) that the borders on 3-dimensional objects sporadically change their pixel width as you move around the screen. Something's border may be 2 black pixels wide, then a mix of 2's and 1's, and then finally straight 1's. But it doesn't look pretty as it evolves because the process is not gradual and smooth: it is sudden and consequently very rugged.

One of the biggest selling points (by GameFreak, if not by the fans as well) is how awesome the graphics look in battle. I feel every day like I'm being trolled by the fanbase when I hear this claim. "Are we really looking at the same two generations? " I ask myself as I consider what HeartGold and SoulSilver's battle graphics looked like and what Black and White's look like. Where HGSS had stationary Pokémon, it also had beautiful art that was perfectly to scale. It never looked splotchy or mega-zoomed-in because it was purposely designed to look its best at the resolution it was always going to be displayed at. By contrast, the sprites in B/W only ever look good when you're either in the PokéDex, filing through your team roster, or else for that rare millisecond when you first send the guy out into battle and the camera hasn't yet zoomed in on him yet. The moment it zooms in -- and it inevitably always does -- your monster's ass is staring you in the face at 4x to 8x times its natural resolution. And the result is splotchy pixel city.

What I wanted ............ and what I got

And since I figured some of you would demand actual video game samples and not something I made to illustrate my point in GIMP, here you go:

This is what you see zoomed out ... and this is what you see when it zooms in.
Too bad it zooms in for 90% of the battle, huh?

When I see attack animations like those for Work Up, and when I recall that these are those very same animations the kiddies are labeling "best grafix EVAR! ", I know that all is not right with the world.

==================================

Let's just list the other reasons as topics in italics for now, and if you'd like detailed explanations, I'll provide them. Otherwise, let's just drop it. It's clear that I'm in a very small minority of people who thinks Gen 5 is a major letdown, and I don't expect I'll be able to convince most of you I'm right since you're all much too excited about these games and so getting you to see their flaws and shortcomings is an almost impossible task.

Worst Monster Designs Yet (on average)

Terrible Map Layout

Lack of Serious Changes to Long-Known Problems - the one exception here is that TMs now function like deletable HMs. Very nice. But there are so many other ancient problems that remain unaddressed. These include but are not limited to:
* monster types in need of fixing
* monster stats in need of adjusting
* implementation of multiple save files
* separating battle-only moves from all moves known
* making EV training fun and not a grind, or else doing away with it altogether in favor of a more fun alternative
Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Black and White is nothing more than Nintendo's continual shameless attempt to fleece their fans, and sales will reflect that fact!

*B/W breaks release-date records for the series*

The warm, comforting embrace of my own preconceived notions has been torn away from me!
It's okay to abandon your boycott (against Pokemon and accepting that you might ever be wrong on something) Talon: you can't really lose your intellectual cred when you never had any to begin with.

Last edited by Blastoise; 03-09-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I noticed there was some 3D in the game, but is the entire game 3D, then?

That might have been a big reason for the sales. If so, I can't believe it! It's like Quake all over again! :/
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>I noticed there was some 3D in the game, but is the entire game 3D, then?

No. It's still largely sprite-based (all the battle images are dynamic sprites and the overworlds are sprite-based), though a significant amount of the prominent map features are in 3D, like buildings and a few natural features. It's much more prominent than Gen IV.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
It's okay to abandon your boycott (against Pokemon and accepting that you might ever be wrong on something) Talon: you can't really lose your intellectual cred when you never had any to begin with.
Wow, there's a shocker: Blastoise would rather resort to personal attacks he knows to be wrong than to confront the criticisms at hand. Real mature.

Like I've said before: you don't like my opinion? Then don't like it. But if you're going to not like it, then it should be because you don't feel the same way about the evidence as I do. It should not be because you have a pathological incapacity to accept my views solely because they are mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I noticed there was some 3D in the game, but is the entire game 3D, then?
No. In battle, GameFreak has a 2.5-D thing going on. They have 2-dimensional battle sprites which (a) are animated, like looping .gifs, and (b) zoom in and out as you perform or take attacks. This "zoom" lends the battles an added visual depth that can be likened to a transition from 2D to 3D. But like Jeri's said, the game is mostly 2D. Only on the overworld map are things other than NPCs truly 3D: mostly buildings, but also the occasional fountain or statue.

Last edited by Talon87; 03-09-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Worst Monster Designs Yet (on average)
Purely opinion. I love them, myself. 50x better than stinking Dodrio and most of the other Gen I mon.

Quote:
Terrible Map Layout
Again, opinion. I didn't mind it.

Quote:
* monster types in need of fixing
Such as...? Sure, Masqurain becoming Water/Bug would be cool, but, well, they aren't very watery. I can't think of any that Really need fixing. :/

Quote:
* monster stats in need of adjusting
Okay, that would be cool. But it's very unlikely to ever happen, and shouldn't be a reason to boycott the game.

Quote:
* implementation of multiple save files
Never gonna happen. The multiplayer is one of the biggest selling points of pokemon- you want another playthrough, go buy the game again (or use a ROM, as they're legal if you already have the game).

Quote:
* separating battle-only moves from all moves known
...Why would they do that? I've heard some fans talk about that and, frankly, I hate the idea. Balancing the moves is part of the fun- and remember. In-game. Strength is perfectly viable. Also, they did pretty much fix this, as you don't need any HMs to play through the main story.

Quote:
* making EV training fun and not a grind, or else doing away with it altogether in favor of a more fun alternative
>Implying EV training isn't already fun.

Seriously. You can finish EV training a mon in five minutes, tops. Then come the fun part where you use it in battle to level it and learn some moves/evolve.

Also, how far did you play, Talon? Because Gym3 is not halfway. About G4 is where the story starts picking up, and then it's slotted into the rest of the game nicely until it builds up to a startling crescendo.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

For me, Gen 5 so far is the best Pokemon game I ever played.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
ObviousUser2010
Banned

Gen 5 looks crisp and has many features lacking in the other pokemon games, though the others are no doubt excellent in what they have.
ObviousUser2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
Lady Kuno

I think I needed to use strength one time in total to beat the game. Needed being the key word. Same with cut and surf. I ran with 5 Poke the whole game, and switched out my surf/fly + cut/strength 'mon as needed.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Wow, there's a shocker: Blastoise would rather resort to personal attacks he knows to be wrong than to confront the criticisms at hand. Real mature.

Like I've said before: you don't like my opinion? Then don't like it. But if you're going to not like it, then it should be because you don't feel the same way about the evidence as I do. It should not be because you have a pathological incapacity to accept my views solely because they are mine.
Reading the "B/W is coming!" thread was an adventure in seeing how far you could continually move the goalposts and make long, rambling critiques of the game based on approximately fuck all. It was obvious months before the games were released that you wouldn't have been satisfied if B/W came with free titfucks from Lucy Pinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
I think I needed to use strength one time in total to beat the game. Needed being the key word. Same with cut and surf. I ran with 5 Poke the whole game, and switched out my surf/fly + cut/strength 'mon as needed.
You don't even need to use Strength once: if you're using it where I thought you were (and where I thought you needed to), you can take the long way by crossing the fallen pillars instead.

The only time any HM move is actually needed in the main game is Cut for the Dream Smoke, and honestly that's so early in the game that it's barely an issue anyway.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
You don't even need to use Strength once: if you're using it where I thought you were (and where I thought you needed to), you can take the long way by crossing the fallen pillars instead.
That's not the part I meant, I meant at the dream yard. But you already mentioned that, I thought it was strength you needed there. I knew the pillar trick since I never carry HM guys with me and I was running around the room like an idiot. XD

Old 03-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Purely opinion.
Of course it is.

Quote:
Such as...?
I'll get off my butt and finish that series of ten YouTube videos I started.

Quote:
Okay, that would be cool. But it's very unlikely to ever happen, and shouldn't be a reason to boycott the game.
Last thing I'll quote-reply to for now. I agree that this alone is no reason to boycott the game. None of my reasons taken alone are enough reason to boycott the game. What you seem to have forgotten is that it's the sum of these defects which drives me to abstain from handing GameFreak money this gen. Or, at the very least, until they address most of the Gen5-specific problems I have with B/W in making Pokémon Gray/whatever. Think of it like this: no one grain of sand alone is enough to break a windowpane, but pile 5 metric tons of sand on top of any windowpane in the world and I guarantee you you'll bust it. Many small things can ruin an experience as badly as one major thing.

Quote:
Also, how far did you play, Talon? Because Gym3 is not halfway. About G4 is where the story starts picking up, and then it's slotted into the rest of the game nicely until it builds up to a startling crescendo.
Oops, I lied. This is the last thing. I made it through to the Desert Resort in Japanese. I made it through to meeting the Champion for the first time in English. I pretty much had read most of the story in Japanese correctly the first time through, so I didn't gain any new insight other than into Cheren's character (who I'd constantly button-mashed through before). Didn't think Addai, Adonai, Addis Ababa, whatever the Champ's name is had much to say, so I don't see why you think crossing the bridge into Gym City 5 is such a big deal vs. putting the game down post-Arty Burgh. But anyway, there you have it.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #17
Lady Kuno

Quit being a bitch and play the game. The story is the best part (especially the Manga-esque Gym Leaders). This is hands down the best gen so far.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #18
S_M
Volcano Badge

Send a message via AIM to S_M
I agree. I love the story and the Pokemon have really grown on me; I really like this gen. Really up there for me. Especially how long the storyline is; I beat the Elite 4 but I feel like I still have half the game to go.
156 KOs - 376 TP - 10.75 SP
S_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>I made it through to the Desert Resort in Japanese. I made it through to meeting the Champion for the first time in English. I pretty much had read most of the story in Japanese correctly the first time through, so I didn't gain any new insight other than into Cheren's character (who I'd constantly button-mashed through before).

This is 1/4th of the game at best.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #20
Talon87
時の彼方へ

And when was the last time you took someone seriously who told you that you weren't allowed to hold a negative opinion about something you'd experienced 25% of? I mean, come on: Blastoise says I'm moving goal posts but this is what I see:

"Talon, you can't judge it without playing. "
"Fine, I'll play. "
*two days later*
"Okay, made it through Gym 3. Shelving game indefinitely."
*many months later*
"That wasn't good enough."
"FINE. "
*three days later*
"Made it through the English game this time, Gym 4, on the way to Gym 5."
"Nope, not good enough. Gotta beat the game."

Yeah. I'll remember to tell all the people who hated Final Fantasy 13 "You gotta beat the game before you get to bitch about what a shitty disappointment this game was."
Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #21
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
The story is the best part (especially the Manga-esque Gym Leaders).
What do you mean by this?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
I mean, come on: Blastoise says I'm moving goal posts but this is what I see:
You were talking about how terrible B/W was going to be for months long before there was anything concrete to latch on to (e.g. otherwise you wouldn't have made a long, rambling bitch about how Smack Down proved that Game Freak loves Stealth Rock and how Iris is OMG SO RACIST). Given that your default reaction to being wrong is 1)denial or 2)posting on UPN under a different SN nobody is all that surprised that you played three hours of B/W to lend the slightest sliver of intellectual credibility to your preconceived notions and consequently think it's the WORST GEN EVER

I mean really, you're bitching about how the map is "terrible" when you've played up to only the third gym and have therefore seen, like, 15% of it at most. Seriously?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #23
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yes, seriously. I'll give one early concrete example: the daycare is not in an as readily accessible location as it was in Gens 2, 3, or even 4. You have to work to get there (moreso than in all the previous generations). This is a design flaw. Period. The daycare should be something which you pretty much fly to a city and whammo, it's right there. Gen 4 (DPP) did the best job with this. It also had a much better biking path than either of the two gens before it. But all three have had better accessibility than Gen 5's.

You don't have to watch all 2 hours of Troll 2 to be able to decide for yourself, "This is a bad movie" and to make the decision to quit watching. Anyone who says, "Your opinion is invalid. You didn't watch the whole film, so THERE. " is acting like a child and is not making a well-reasoned argument. They would be if we expected that all of a sudden, everything bad about Troll 2 in the first 30 minutes was to undo itself. The bad acting, the bad lines, the bad plot premise, everything. But we know better than to expect that. Likewise, I know better than to expect that the bad battle graphics are going to magically get better halfway through the game. "Oh wow! Sure am glad I kept playing! If I hadn't, I would have mistaken the crappy battle graphics from the first 25% of the game for being the battle graphics you see in the final battle! Boy would I have been wrong! "

Were that the case, you'd have a leg to stand on. As it is, you're just being you're usual trolly self.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #24
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Yes, seriously. I'll give one early concrete example: the daycare is not in an as readily accessible location as it was in Gens 2, 3, or even 4. You have to work to get there (moreso than in all the previous generations). This is a design flaw. Period. The daycare should be something which you pretty much fly to a city and whammo, it's right there. Gen 4 (DPP) did the best job with this. It also had a much better biking path than either of the two gens before it. But all three have had better accessibility than Gen 5's.
BORKED
Old 03-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #25
Lady Kuno

Who cares where the breeding place is? It has a PC there so not like you need to go to a Pokecenter or anything back and forth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON