UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
Yougirasu
In Uguu we trust

Pokemon TCG plays 'The Price is Right'.

Nice to see you, to see you... Nice (yes, I remember the Bruce Forsythe varient of the show).

Anyway, I know I haven't brought much news here for a while and that's mostly because I read it to late and then don't have the desire to share it since it's not breaking news, or I forget and by then I've put it off to long. Regardless, I'm bringing in some delayed news now (but Pokebeach have only recently mentioned it, so it's still good) and I'll follow it up tomorrow or the day after with even later news, lol.

In a move that's getting much discussion by the various players, Pokemon have decided to release 4 'Challenge' Boxes based around 4 of the decks from the mid to late Heart Gold Soul Silver series. Each released box will contain, a Pokemon Prime promo, a related 2-stage evolution chain, a Theme Deck with a single booster, two booster packs and an online code giving you all of the above for the online varient of the TCG.
The Triumphant boxes will include, either the Verdant Frost or Royal Guard deck, Yanmega or Machamp Prime, and a Mamoswine or Nidoking evolution line. Whilst the Undaunted boxes contain, either the Daybreak or Nightfall deck, Espeon or Umbreon Prime, and Bellossom or Metagross's evolution line.

With such a seemingly great offer available (I don't know the exact prices, but sets like this are usually great bargains compared to buying everything seperately) you may be asking, 'why are people having heated discussions over these boxes?' And, if it was just the Daybreak or Nightfall sets coming out, people wouldn't be. They'd just be moaning at how poor the Primes are. However, the most noteworthy Prime and the one that's causing every complaint, discussion or whatever else people are posting about over these is the Yanmega.

Yanmega Prime has had an interesting history since entering the TCG (and it will show why everyone is either happy or upset about the set. Of course if you already know why then I'd skip this paragraph) where, during most of last season, it was overlooked for various reasons. You'd rarely see one played before nationals, however when Black and White arrived on the scene with all its rule changes and how they affected nationals, everything changed for the young card. Early rotation to the HGSS sets and single Black and White sets had players scrabbling for decks as nationals fast approached and in America, many players watched for information about the decks used in the Canadian nationals to build similar decks to take to their own varient. In Canada, Yanmega was a big hit. I can't remember if it won or not, but a large number were played and many reached the high spots within their nationals and this cause excessive demand for them from players across America. As American nationals approached the prices for a single Yanmega Prime soared upwards reaching the dizzying heights that Luxray GL Lv.X did and it was part of every winning deck in Nationals. It didn't receive as many accolades in Worlds however, with on the Juniors Champion using the card in their deck. However, the price has constantly been mentioned at the $75-80/Ł40 level since then despite fading popularity.

As you may have figured, with a pricey Prime being featured as a Promo is going to hit the individual prices for the card hard. My best guess is that it could almost half in price a few months after the release of the boxes due to fading popularity (due to cards like Gothitelle becoming popular) and being an easily obtainable Promo card. Some people are upset concept by this however and they are mostly people who payed top dollar for the cards or bought them to sell on for profit, with a few annoyed that the format is going to be flooded with even more Yanmegas. However, there is large support for this release as many players (including myself) look forward to being able to aquire Yanmegas at a more reasonable price. With a new set soon to be released as well, you can't say for certain how much of an affect it will have on the competitive area of the game but Pokemon seem to have appeased a number of players with this release of a sought after card.
Yougirasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News