UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 08-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #4576
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein Linoone psychs himself up for combat only to wuss out due to a bug. (21 turns; skip to Turn 6)

Spoiler: show
A low-ladder game, so take it for what you will. The reason it's amusing to share is because of what happens on Turns 6 through 12.

Turn 6, he sends out his Linoone in response to my Outraging Mega Garchomp. I only just barely fail to OHKO his switch-in, and thanks to his Aguav Berry he regains just enough health to have a shot at the coveted Belly Drum ...

Turn 7, he uses Belly Drum; and I, knowing he will do so, have no choice but to go straight for an attack. Of course, I fail the confusion check; and Garchomp smacks himself in the face. He ends up succumbing to his injuries, and I switch in Masquerain for the first time this match. Masquerain intimidates Linoone, reducing his Attack modifier from 4x to 3.5x.

Turn 8, I predict ExtremeSpeed and switch out for a ghost. I am correct.

Turn 9, I predict Shadow Claw and switch Masquerain back in. Linoone's Attack modifier falls to 3x; and I am correct once again. Masquerain manages to survive the hit, but it still does enough damage to reduce Masquerain below half.

Turn 10, I predict that he will predict my ghost type switch-in (and will use Shadow Claw to best me), so I instead switch in a Normal type to eat the Ghost-type attack. I am correct once more. ^^; You know what that means ...

Turn 11, I get to switch Masquerain in for a third time. This means Linoone's attack modifier, once 4x, is now reduced to 2.5x. Gone are his guarantees of OHKOing everything. He goes for Shadow Claw once more, and Masquerain dies. No more Attack drops, then ...

I send out Regigigas in between turns.

Turn 12, I opt to go for Return .................................. and my opponent opts to go for Shadow Claw. I had hoped to survive the 2.5x-boosted ExtremeSpeed and to then KO Linoone, but getting to KO Linoone for free works too!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #4577
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm considering a rushed bid for attendance at Ft. Wayne in four weeks. I don't think I'll be able to make it in time, having caught exactly zero of the Tapus and Ultra Beasts, but I thought I'd dick around on Showdown with a shabbily put-together team to see what I might want to prioritize getting and what I might want to leave on the cutting room floor.

Here's my latest game, and despite being at the very bottom of the ladder it was a hard-fought match that had both of us on holding our breaths, I'm sure.

I would say his team is generally better put together than mine. I just threw Salamence on there (having replaced Mudsdale, who I had brought to zero games), and I'm not sure he works as well as intended in a format with so much bulk. I think it's fair to say I sort of Magoo'd my way into a victory there, with several questionable plays on my part, such as:
  • physically attacking a Snorlax who already had some Curse buffs
  • taking Fini off of Muddy Water and focusing on Mooblast'ing the Snorlax when I believed (correctly!) the Snorlax to probably have Figy Berry + Recycle and Moonblast wasn't 2HKO'ing it; thus relieving pressure from Porygon 2, who might've otherwise been forced to Recover a lot more but instead kept being given free passes to deal damage or use Trick Room
  • not having an ExtremeSpeed Arcanine use ExtremeSpeed, even if "all's well that ends well"
Still, even if I was the inferior player and/or teambuilder, I'm glad I managed to eke out a win.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #4578
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Jumpluff

Hana would be proud~

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #4579
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Lobster Steamroll
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:18 AM   #4580
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"gg "
*four turns later*
"can i try again? "

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ge...ttle-625863167
Old 09-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #4581
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
So after failing to ban Dugtrio, OU has gone full Uber and is now deciding to try and ban Arena Trap.

This is the part that rlly gets me tho:

Quote:
6. No anti Smogon propaganda posts. If you don't agree with our decisions and it really hurts your tender soul that much, go play an official Nintendo metagame.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:52 PM   #4582
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Do you think any of those teams are actually a problem in the metagame? It seems to me like Smogon is just banning them because they like to play the game a certain way.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:55 PM   #4583
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
So after failing to ban Dugtrio, OU has gone full Uber and is now deciding to try and ban Arena Trap.

This is the part that rlly gets me tho:

Quote:
6. No anti Smogon propaganda posts. If you don't agree with our decisions and it really hurts your tender soul that much, go play an official Nintendo metagame.
"Go play an official Nintendo metagame." One, you're about three years late to the party with that sarcastic suggestion, Smogon. Two, sticks and stones aren't going to stem the tide of your blood loss to VGC when VGC's winners walk away with thousands of dollars in cash from events held relatively frequently within 6 hours' driving distance.

Nero playing fiddle while Rome burned indeed, Emi.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:16 AM   #4584
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Do you think any of those teams are actually a problem in the metagame? It seems to me like Smogon is just banning them because they like to play the game a certain way.
Gen VII OU has basically been TDKs personal playground since he was made OU leader.

Friendly reminder, despite the continual outcry of the playerbase to ban Pheromosa, TDK didn't think it was banworthy until he used it himself.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #4585
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Mean Look new meta, then?

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #4586
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I made the ladder! The Random Doubles ladder, to be specific. Elo score of 1570, ladder position of 374/500. My GXE is abysmal ^^; (69.4%), as is my Glicko (1655), with a fairly pathetic W:L of 68:44. But hey! I made the ladder. :')

This has been fairly difficult to pull off. In some ways Doubles is a more forgiving meta than Singles, in other ways less so. There are a ton of people between 1350 and 1499 scrabbling desperately for an Elo score of 1500 or greater, so it's a really, really tough range to be in. My last three games, two of them my opponents have ragequit-thrown the win at me only a few rounds in because they could tell I was winning, that it would be hard for them to turn it around, and (I'm guessing here) they got discouraged by the prospect of falling back off the ladder. I'm curious to see what this portion of the ladder will be like, but if the last fifty matches are any indicator, I am not likely to remain on the ladder for long. ^^; "Easy come, easy go." I've had seven-win streaks and I've had seven-loss streaks too. I've already fallen once from a score in the 1500s all the way down to somewhere below 1350 (the seven-loss streak), so I rather doubt I'll be getting to enjoy the taste of the ladder for long. But we'll see! We'll see.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:33 PM   #4587
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Two alts now successfully laddered. Playing around with a third, fresh, and at the bottom of the ladder with it. Just witnessed this. ^^;
The opposing Pyukumuku used Memento!
Roserade's Attack fell harshly! Roserade's Special Attack fell harshly!
The opposing Pyukumuku fainted!
Roserade restored a little HP using its Black Sludge!
☆n00b: fuck
☆n00b: i didnt know it did that
n00b forfeited.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #4588
Heather
Naga's Voice

lol he expected a blanket crippling move like Memento to not have drawback? Like, halving both offenses is a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #4589
Emi

In fairness its hardly drawback. The move would probably actually be worse if it didn't kill you lol.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 AM   #4590
Talon87
時の彼方へ

>play comp with friends online
>become a legend for hax
>ten years later
>old comp friends are all gone
>new kid signs up
>new kid tells everyone he is the Hax King
>hax king, wait no, that's my gig
>try to talk to him
>"Hey, listen, Apollo ..."
>"stfu old man I'm the new hax king around here"
>fuck this guy
>try talking to his friends
>"who the fuck are you, no one cares about you. ALL HAIL HAX KING APOLLO!"
>fml
>one year later
>half-asleep one night, but feel like playing Pokémon

Without a doubt, the single worst case of parahax fuckage I have EVER witnessed. (Random Doubles Battle, 11 turns)

This has to be seen to be believed. Do not skip one single turn. Better yet, pause between turns if you can. Try to buy yourself some inter-turn time to recreate the actual feel of the battle as best you can.

Get off three paralyses. Enemy is fully paralyzed five times and is flinched one time, for a total of six lost actions. In an eleven-turn match, opponent could have only made twenty-two action selections. In other words: opponent was denied 6/22 actions due to parahax or flinchhax. Don't even get me started on his Turn 1 Overheat miss ...

Old 09-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #4591
Heather
Naga's Voice

And then you landed the heat wave just to top off the memery holy shit talon give roto back his good luck

Quote:
Old 09-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #4592
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This match:
  1. I didn't know about Spectral Thief. Had seen it used before, but never like this.
  2. is a great example of my classic advice to Comp players: "It ain't over 'til it's over. Never surrender."
I mean, there are times in which it is clearly over ... but "clearly" is relative, and I think an awful lot of people would have considered this game "clearly over" after he used Spectral Thief the first time. But after noticing that he hadn't gained any bonuses to defense, I was curious to see if I could somehow turn things around. Not gonna lie: all the way until the very end, I felt like I was fighting a losing match and was simply playing for the satisfaction of seeing just how small of a number I could make the X in my 0-X defeat. But it's because I stuck around that I got to see a remarkable come-from-behind victory against overwhelming odds.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #4593
Heather
Naga's Voice

Nice moves there. But yeah, this sort of thing is exactly why I refuse to say "gg" until the ladder scores are updated, even if the battle is clearly going my way. Hell, I know of one BH match I nearly lost for myself because I decided to be sassy with my electrify/lightning rod cheese-boosted mega sceptile and use flamethrower on the opposing abomasnow-whose ability ended up being Flash Fire. Things turn on a dime in Pokémon, and just one turn really can make or break you.

Quote:
Old 09-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #4594
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein Lunala refuses to remain asleep for more than one turn and the battle goes to 34 turns. (Random Doubles)

The game essentially ends somewhere between Turns 11 and 12, but because we're both stubborn and both convinced we can eke out a win it goes to Turn 34. My goal is to deplete his PP for his sole source of Recovery (and it works); his plan, as far as I can tell, could only have been that I would either run out of PP on Sludge Bomb or else that I would get frustrated and ragequit. I was convinced I could win, though, so I didn't go anywhere. And him, for his part, he didn't quit either.

So my only real hope for a quick and painless victory was that he would stay asleep for 2+ turns and that I would get a critical hit in somewhere while he was sleeping. The crit hit only happened once. The staying asleep for more than 1 turn never happened until I'd already PP depleted him. (Valuable, though, since it meant I took less damage whilst trying to kill him.)

Really would like Showdown to re-evaluate how they do randbats. I've seen a big increase (since I last played regularly) in the number of Pokémon who have no STAB moves and one or more moves against which their types struggle. It can make for some fun surprises, sure, I guess. But more often than not it's just a pain in the ass when your Bug type can't eke out an easy Bug victory (WHERE WAS BUG BUZZ) or when your Ground type can't eke out an easy Ground victory (because lol Stealth Rock / Rock Slide / Protect / some other non-Ground move). I feel like every single Pokémon who is normally given a fight-back move -- even defensive walls/tanks like Hippowdon with his Earthquake or Florges with her Moonblast -- need to be given at least one same-type move. Minimum. It's okay not to have one if you're a Pokémon who ordinarily foregoes fight-back moves. (But such Pokémon are exceedingly rare. Even Blissey usually packs either Seismic Toss or else Calm Mind + a special attack.) And it's okay not to have one if your fight-back move is normally not your STAB. (Take Blissey again for example. It's okay to run Fighting-type Seismic Toss over a less useful Normal-type Hyper Beam.) But for Pokémon who have ordinarily got at least one fight-back move ... I feel like STAB is requisite. For Pokémon who are sweepers or glass cannons, it's all the more requisite.

Someone also needs to take a look at the shitty Noivern set I had. Choice Scarf @ Tailwind / Switcheroo / Air Slash / don't remember is not a good set. Scarf @ Switcheroo, fine. Tailwind, fine. Both together, you've objectively wasted a slot. I was up against the threat of a Quiver Dance Butterfree. (Spoilers: 'twas actually a Zoroark.) I knew there was the risk of a Turn 1 QD. I knew my choices were to either a) Switcheroo the Scarf over to fuck the Butterfree over, or else b) hold onto the Scarf and go for the hail mary 2HKO via Air Slash, but no matter which one I decided to choose the other one would have still been in the way wasting a valuable moveslot that could have afforded me some tactical alternative. I am aware that this set was likely RNG'd in part by pulling from a movepool of greenlit Noivern moves, but still: the script needs to be adjusted to forbid the combination of a choice item, Switcheroo, and Tailwind. Either do the choice item + Switcheroo or else do Tailwind + different item + three other moves.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:34 AM   #4595
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Nice to see that Showdown still offers sanctuary to anonymous racist tweens.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #4596
Talon87
時の彼方へ

When the username fits the outcome.

Crushing finale. (Ranked No.286 on the ladder with this.)

Last edited by Talon87; 09-18-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #4597
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"score points and Win the game" (Random Doubles, ~11 turns)

Match was fun if a little one-sided. Nothing too noteworthy here --

-- other than what mildly amused me early on, when someone joined the room to spectate, seemingly cheered on my opponent (though I've no idea as neither of us had a name remotely resembling "benjols" ), and then said this:

"score points and Win the game"

What does this mean, I wondered? Are they in some sort of tournament? Am I intended to be an unwitting meal upon which Benjols is meant to feast? Is he out of the tournament if I defeat him?

Is there a points system? "+60 for a KO. -100 if your 'mon gets KO'd. +75 for OHKOs. +10 for each consecutive KO." Something like this?

Is he just trying to psych his buddy up? Is he telling him, "Score points" (i.e. KO my team one 'mon at a time) "and win the game"?

It was just amusing to me. Made all the more bemusing by the fact that he never spoke again. Normally a friend who's cheerleading either continues to cheer on a friend who is losing, trying to get him to turn things around, or else starts berating the opponent -- me, in this case! -- to try and psych him out and give his friend an edge. But this guy did neither. He just ... "score points and Win the game" that one time following "go benjols" at the beginning, and that was it! Not a single word ever again.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #4598
Heather
Naga's Voice

So apparently once the post arena trap ban meta has settled out for long enough for TDK's tastes, the next thing on the chopping block is...Magearna, aka one of the few things that doesn't get ripped a new one by Lando-T.

But that's none of my business. *sips tea*

Quote:
Old 09-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #4599
Emi

If they're going to keep probably the most overcentralizing Pokemon in OU's history, maybe they should bring back Aegislash.

It wasn't broken either.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #4600
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Really good case of "It ain't over 'til it's over." (Random Doubles, 9 turns)

Given my team, his leads, and my leads, I almost threw in the towel immediately. (I rarely do this.) Then, by like Turn 3 or so, I again almost threw in the towel. "This is pathetic," "there's no way I'm going to be able to turn this around."

But I persevered, and despite his grousing post-match it was not thanks to Xerneas being OP. (No Geomancy, and a fucking physical set with Protect minus the one move I could rely on, Dazzling Gleam.) It really just came down to calls, choices, plays. Who I chose to attack and with what vs. who he chose to attack and with what.

What really won me the match was the favorable match-up Minun had versus his final three, his decision to send out Zoroark ahead of Moltres (which inadvertently resulted in Zoroark's one-turn KO thanks to Minun and Xerneas teaming up on it), and his prioritization on taking out Xerneas rather than Minun.

Given the first half, I should have lost. But it ain't over 'til it's over.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON