UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #51
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Fresh's last episodes have been released. That said, thoughts on the whole show itself.

Fresh Precure
To me, Fresh Precure has been this really silly, but strangely magnetic title. It can get dumb as hell, but it doesn't feel like a insult like Suite and Smile does. Fresh has its fair share of good emotional moments, and it has a great cast. For the most part, I enjoyed Fresh. I had no problem burning through the first 29 episodes that were subbed. It was a fun, easygoing ride. I'd say Fresh Precure deserves a 7.

Also, after digging around in some old videos I used to rip off Nico, I happened to find my first exposure to Precure. I mean, when I watched it, I had no clue what the hell it was, nor did it leave any strong impressions with me, but it did kinda leave me unable to take this particular scene seriously when watching Futari wa Precure. Here it is.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #52
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Following BBB, I just finished Fresh myself.

I liked it a lot. A lot more than I should have, because it's very much like Muv-Luv Extra - a low stress, silly universe that's humourous with some occasional darkness, but never anything black as night, maybe twilight-level low luminosity.

I heard nothing but bad things about Fresh prior to watching this from other camps not named BBB, so I was pleasantly surprised, and was able to marathon it. It's not deep, there are tons of inconsistencies and it's not supremely well written, but it was a unique and enjoyable experience.

I'd give it an 8/10...Excellent. That's higher than I gave Futari wa and Splash Star, because on the whole Fresh was more consistent than those two in everything but animation. Oh wow, the art/animation shared an inverse relationship all too often.

Rankings:

HeartCatch > Fresh = Yes 5 > Futari wa > Splash Star >> Suite > Smile
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #53
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Smile's the one you showed me with the Kaiji parody, right, bbb? And you guys both hate it that badly? Isn't it the one that's airing this season?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #54
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Yeah, Smile's the one that was in the Kaiji parody. It's also the Precure that's currently airing. I don't really hate it. I'm more just let down with it. Smile Precure is really a shot in the dark. Some episodes are bad, some are okay/meh, and some are good(none great). It started with three good episodes, and after that, became a mixed bag. I think out of the 18 that are currently out, 6 of them were good.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #55
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

BBB claims Max Heart is the worst, and I don't doubt that for the reasons he gives. But Smile is the worst series because it's incredibly bland and far more derivative than any other PreCure series, and the writing doesn't have any intelligence, rhyme or reason.

For example, earlier PreCure would have themes like "happiness" in Fresh. The point of contention in Fresh, like in GaoGaiGar is that one contrasts a world that doesn't have "sadness" or "happiness" with a world that has both, and which is better? Fresh argues the villains are wrong, and that happiness/sadness is better than an un-changing, dead world without feeling.

Smile doesn't even think that far. It settles for cheap gags or misguided morals. The April Fools episode is a prime example - in it, Yayoi lies and says she's moving away, but Miyuki immediately runs away and tells the whole class about it before Yayoi has a chance to go "April Fools". Yayoi was confiding a 'personal secret' to Miyuki and Miyuki went like a hyper-active retard and blabbed her mouth off. That was the bigger sin, and it had almost no attention in the episode and we basically ended up with Yayoi having to bow in apology.

I wouldn't say Smile is boring, but it's a very shallow show. It's not surprising that rape/yuri fanboys have really jumped on the Smile band-wagon because the show doesn't offer enough intelligence or slice-of-life to scare them off. They're here for Dragonball Z with fanservice (even though there is none).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #56
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's funny you say that 'cause I have noticed a bunch of doujins with the yellow Smile over the past few months, moderately more numerous than PreCure tends to be doujin-wise. (Say it's normally ten per time period. It feels like it's been eleven recently.) However, I don't think the impetus is lack of intelligent storytelling. Rather, from what I've observed, that yellow one is to Smile what Skyla is to Pokemon B&W: someone the fan artists have just gone crazy with and will themselves into believing is a natural DD adult.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #57
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What is DD? I'm embarrassed to ask because the possibility exists you are referring to chest size and I'm thinking "different dimension" ?_?

I asked BBB about it, I do remember pre-Smile release Yayoi had a lot of fanart, and I guess the reason is comparable to Mikuru - she's got a "moe" personality and is very timid/un-assuming, but a body that doesn't agree with how she acts/thinks. Add in that she's a manga-ka (+1 for otaku) and voiced by cult loli Ika Musume (+1 for otaku) and we've sprayed octane on an already burning passion.

I bring up the lack of intelligence because a lot of the jokes surrounding Smile involve make-believe fanservice, or legitimate animator-fanbase jabs. Like I strung together some pictures where Yayoi pretends she has a boyfriend to her mother. This isn't something 'proper' middle school girls are really concerned with...but to otaku, some man laying claim on a pure maiden Pretty Cure is freakin' yurusenai.

With Fresh, we could make jokes like "So the bad guy's base is called Labyrinth. It's like a maze!" and an episode in Fresh was devoted to how Tarte, a ferret-like fairy, was announced to be a newly discovered species because all placental mammals have belly-buttons and he didn't have one.

There's nothing clever or amusing like that in Smile. We could distill the personalities of the five heroines into just one sentence:

1. Miyuki is hyperactive.
2. Akane has a Kansai accent.
3. Nao has a lot of brothers and sisters.
4. Yayoi is a cry-baby.
5. Reika is noble.

We can't even use the Red Letter Media criteria to define them ('describe the character without talking about what they wear, their profession, what they looked like') because their personalities are that simple. Arguably, Nagisa-Honoka and Saki-Mai from Futari wa and Splash Star started out similarly simple, but (especially in the former) they became complex characters through their dynamic friendship. There hasn't been any such lasting development in Smile.

HeartCatch had tremendous development, as Yes 5 already has a lot with Karen. Fresh went through the Eas stuff and we got to see character arcs for Miki and Bukki. Smile's just...deficient. And it's not cool!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #58
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wow, was it really a whole month since I last posted? Or close to it anyway. The new movie preview has come out and based on it, I think it has the potential to be the best movie that isn't the HeartCatch one. It actually involves the PreCure going into Fairy Tales, which should have been the main premise of Smile in the first place.

Gaze upon rainbow excitement!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #59
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

There's a part 2 to the Kaiji video I showed earlier. This one's not as good as the first part, but it's still amusing. Kaiji gives his mother leftover steak bones for Mother's Day!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #60
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Smile has sucked for a while, but I read a translation of the oh-so-awesome opening, and it's great. It's all about arse-kicking and really pumps me up to beat up bad dudes!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #61
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

BBB slammed the latest Smile, but I was really impressed with it. It had legitimate drama and tension, and the big argument toward the end was really good although a bit hard to follow in the chaos.

How it went down

-Reika opts not to run for student council president, because she doesn't know what's best for the student body
-Wolfrun, Majorina, and Akaoni run in the election on care-free platforms
-Reika enters the election to oppose them, but can only give a general intent on what she'd do for the voters
-At the speech ceremony, Reika vows to make the school beautiful by cleaning it up
-Wolfrun points out that doing this means work, the opposite of the other three's platforms
-Reika can't respond, battle ensues
-Wolfrun accuses Reika of being obnoxious and selfish, and doing so from a serious personality that comes across as condescending
-Miyuki points out that Reika taught them the value of things they don't want to do (homework, cleaning, studying)
-Akane asks Wolfrun why she supports Reika
-Wolfrun responds that it's because they're friends (awesome!)
-Akane says no, it's because Reika's best interests are for the students
-After the fight, Reika gives an esoteric speech that links her values with how they benefit the students ('a clean environment helps rid the heart of confusion and strife')
-The crowd digs it

I really liked this. Reika's my favourite Smile and this episode was pretty solid development for her, since it carried off her last development episode where she ended up concluding "I don't know what's right" or something. That was the entry note to this episode and why she didn't try to run for office.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #62
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I guess you're right. Can't find anything by you or Doppel complaining about her specifically. Though I did rediscover some disappointment with the series back in June. What's the status now? How does Smile PreCure, as of this week, stack up against past PreCures? How does it stack up for you against this year's general anime offerings? Have you noticed improvements over the last five months?
It'd probably be more appropriate if I responded here.

Nothing much has changed for me. Smile has some really good character development episodes when the writers try, but like Doppel said, it's only about 20% of the show. The rest of it is a bunch of bad slice-of-life episodes with a Team Rocket villain section. Though since it's getting close to ending, there have been more good episodes lately.

As far as how it stacks up against other Precure. It's either the worst or second from worst for me. I have a hard time saying it's better or worse than Max Heart. Smile left me cringing/sighing alot, but it has it's gems, as opposed to where Max Heart is just 52 straight episodes of dull.

For comparing to other anime this year, Smile is probably one of the worst shows I'm following. I was asked a tough question "Which do you think is better: Smile Precure, Accel World, or Sword Art Online?". Back then I answered Accel World. Though I still have a hard time deciding. Afterall, they're all very close in quality for me. About now I might give Smile a bit of an edge. Like I've said multiple times, Smile does have its good moments, and now that I think about it, the only really good part of Accel World is the ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I have a hard time understanding how people can justify liking Smile over Yes 5. Few would go so far as to say they dislike a complex anime, but Yes 5 has all the personalities of Smile PLUS development every episode! Unless one hates a certain character with enough passion to submarine the whole show (which is pretty irrational), there's no way Smile finds its way into a favourable comparison against Yes 5.
I've seen alot of fans go on about how they love Smile but hate Yes 5, which like you say, makes absolutely no sense. Though if it helps, these are also the same ADHD fans that have caused me to dislike the majority of the fanbase. Well also Smile gives more room for the obnoxious yuri fans. Afterall, Smile is only girls while Yes 5 has some male companions.

Also a bunch of "leaked information" about Doki Doki Precure has come out. Supposedly it has an Arcana theme, which is pretty nice if true.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 AM   #63
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's over.

I feel like I've woken up from a year-long coma, only to discover I've been fisted on a weekly basis. I'm glad to be aware, even if I'm quite sore.

Smile ended at Episode 48. It is practically anti-intellectual propaganda. Being forced to watch it should be classified as a hate crime, and daring to hope for entertainment or originality out of it the most heinous of blasphemies.

First off, Smile 48 set new lows by being 100% plagiarized off prior PreCure, either in ideas, events, emotion or imagery. The first eight minutes were torn right out of DX3. Second, the episode wasn't even animated all that well...most of the animation was devoted to beams, or amorphous energy.

Or crying.

Oh man, the amount of tears shed in this episode could flood New Orleans. It makes Ano Hana's finale look like inner city Los Angeles during Cinco de Mayo. Morton Salt Company should hire the Smile PreCure as advertising mascots, there's nothing like promoting your product while making your product.

Going into this episode, I predicted that, based on Miyuki's ultimate PreCure form, it would rip off Fresh PreCure!'s ending where Cure Peach became Cure Angel. Well, it did borrow from an older PreCure, but not the one I was expecting.

Spoiler: show
It was HeartCatch.

Yeeeaaaaaahhhh...oh, did I mention that about 6 minutes were devoted to the OP, the ED, and the OP again? Cutting the budget even further, Smile brought in footage from its OPs, EDs on top of the stock transformation/power-up sequences.

So, thank the heavens, thank the animators, thank the CVs for admirably embarrassing themselves contributing to this mess. I say with pure prejudice that Smile is the worst PreCure I've ever seen. If not for the heart of prior installments I daresay it would have irredeemably damaged the franchise in my eyes. Every week I tried to find something positive, but I scraped the bottom of the barrel so often, my hands were blistered and bleeding from the splinters. Not to mention water logged.

Goodbye, Smile. I hope your teeth fall out.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #64
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I just finished Smile Precure myself. This ending really takes awful to a whole new level. Almost the entire episode was pure, braindead crying. It's even worse than the Ano Hana ending! The rest of it is just garbage the writers pulled out of their asses. "Lets just brainlessly take ideas from previous Precure and slap them together! It doesn't matter if they make sense anyway!"

For the series itself, it's really a hit and miss with mostly misses. Some episodes are indeed really good, but that's maybe 20% of them at best. The rest are just dull or are outright garbage. In some episodes, I got by just because some characters had some really cute moe moments, but that hardly means anything. Overall, Smile deserves a 4.5, which is slightly lower than the previous worst for me, Max Heart.

Max Heart was 50 pure episodes of dull, but it never made me cringe or get irritated like Smile often did. I had a hard time deciding which was worse until this last episode of Smile. That was enough to make me finally decide that Smile is indeed the worst Precure to date. This makes two years in a row that Precure has sucked. I know the very best one was a year before these two, but I'm almost beginning to lose hope for the series. Here's to hoping that Doki Doki will be alright. It has Suite's character designer, but lets hope it doesn't have Suite's writing quality.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #65
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The sad part is, Smile had nice production values, great voices/personality, and good music. Those are all ingredients for a better show than Suite, so I'm struggling to figure out how something with those advantages could deform so badly.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #66
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This piece of Smile PreCure fanart is currently the #1 most popular upload on the Daily Rankings. It currently has 7,170 bookmarks (an insanely high number; even the most popular pieces don't usually see bookmark counts this high), 8,310 ratings and 115,807 views. I'm not sure whether this means Pixiv users just really love them some PreCure fanart or whether it is indicative that Japan hotly protests your guys' condemnation of Smile PreCure. Regardless, at least 7,170 people enjoyed Smile PreCure so much that they're willing to add this fanart to their Pixiv bookmarks.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #67
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I'm not sure whether this means Pixiv users just really love them some PreCure fanart or whether it is indicative that Japan hotly protests your guys' condemnation of Smile PreCure. Regardless, at least 7,170 people enjoyed Smile PreCure so much that they're willing to add this fanart to their Pixiv bookmarks.
I have no explanation for that, except that PreCure has in general been very popular with fan artists and lead to prolific quantities even for the lackluster seasons. I have that image you posted myself, although I got it second hand.

Smile has massive, massive merchandise sales. It's the most otaku-pandering of the PreCure thus far, but kids aren't impressed. Even the daughter of the guy who directed the super robot episode said there wasn't enough fighting in Smile!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #68
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What's with the paper-rock-scissors stuff on the rightmost column? "pkrn vs SZE" ... what do pkrn and SZE stand for?

What's with the random episode with 2+% less viewership than normal that always seems to come towards the end of the series? It's happened four out of the five past seasons. Is it a scheduled recap episode and so kids just don't tune in for it?

Looks like ratings have been the lowest they've ever been the past two series, which would certainly match up with your guys' views, not the otakus'. Tell me this though: what's the series that aired five seasons ago? And how did you guys feel about that one? 'Cause it looks like that was the all-time least popular one until these latest two.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #69
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

First to answer the image question.

From what I've seen, Smile by far has more art than any other Precure. Though this is because most of the Smile fans are otaku, whom I watch Precure for not pandering to. Smile is just braindead eyecandy, which they love. Actually I hear alot of those fans aren't even going to bother with the next Precure because it "doesn't look cute enough".

For the Rock-Paper-Scissors thing, it probably has to to with Cure Peace's little thing after she transforms. Since it says the same thing every episode she doesn't transform, I'm guessing that's it. Cure Peace does a "Pika pika pikarin! Jan-ken-pon!" and plays it with the viewer. I'm guessing pkrn is Cure Peace and SZE is whothefuckever made that chart.

For the less ratings, I'm not sure.

Are you referring to the one with Go on top of it? If so, that's Yes 5 Precure GoGo!. I honestly don't get the fan's view on this. Most fans call this the worst Precure out there, but I feel it's the second best. Hell, I had to watch this RAW because no-one was even bothering to sub this at the time. It's basically the sequel to Yes Precure 5, and I believe it's basically that, but improved. I mean, it indeed has by far the worst production value of the Precure (I've complained about it on this thread), but the SoL segments are fun, the battles are entertaining, it has great humor, the characters have great development, and it houses one of the best episodes of the entire franchise. I rated it in post 39.

Though if I had to give an answer, it's because kids are ADD and they want something different. The sequels probably did the worst as far as views and sales go.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yeah, it's the one that says GO up top.

Your explanation on the rock-paper-scissors makes sense, but if SZE really does refer to the chart maker and if the results are his own throws vs. a PreCure's, that's pretty sad that he logged his results and included them here. ^^; Or made them up. [/cynic]

I have noticed a lot more Smile PreCure hentai this past year than there is PreCure hentai in most years. The yellow one (Yayoi iirc) seems to be a fan favorite. Not sure if this is all fan fantasies or if there was an actual story arc involving so-called "Bad End PreCures" in Smile, but there's been a lot of corruption hentai (悪落ち akuochi) these past few months. Mostly the yellow and blue ones. (Blue is Beauty? Yellow is Sunshine or Sunny? I forget.) Basically, the gist of such stories is that the girls turn evil and don black uniforms. Corruption stories are something that every PreCure gets, but Smile has gotten some 1.5x to 3x more by volume. It's quite noticeable.

I'm kind of surprised that the otaku are behaving more like teenage idiot brats on this one and less like us. I always figured the otaku fans of PreCure were your guys' Japanese counterparts. Apparently not though. Apparently they're like the lowest common denominator of brony. ^^; So ... I guess good riddance if they're vowing to quit watching? Hopefully the studio won't bow to pressure and make your guys' pastime even more otaku pandering.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #71
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

The "Bad End Precure" is just something where dark versions of the Precure fight them. I noticed a bunch of fanart about them myself when the episode aired. Though I saw Happy (the Pink one) more than any of them. I really liked this bit of fanart about them. I mean, it's dark versions of the Precure in black skintight outfits! Smile's otaku fanbase loves that!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #72
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Bad End Cures had nice designs and really appealing expressions, and Bad End Happy also had a fun personality for the two episodes she was alive (spoiler: she was brutally murdered).

I don't agree with BBB that kids are ADD-ridden. It's clear that the very ADD-ish Smile was not what its viewers wanted to see, so I'm more inclined to believe that the fans wanted something more mature, or at least more struggle, than what we got. I'd like to hope the kids are intelligent and so could recognize Smile for what it was...but then again, Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal is the most popular YGO since the original Duel Monsters and could even eclipse the original in popularity and sales, within Japan.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #73
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Apparently Commie decided to sub DokiDoki PreCure. No idea why. Doesn't DoReMi have a pretty firm monopoly over the PreCure franchise? (Quick subs, accurate subs, and reliable [as in rarely late or dropped] subs.) Would either of you even consider watching an edit of a CrunchyRoll script a Commie script for PreCure rather than stick with DoReMi and their script?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #74
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I guess Doremi does kind of have a monopoly over the newer Precure shows. I was surprised myself to see that commie did it, but I would be even more surprised if they lasted more than 10 episodes. Most people who sub Precure usually end up quitting pretty quickly, because I'm sure it's troublesome keeping up with a show throughout a year. Last year, Smile had like 4 groups starting it, and only Doremi has finished.

I'll just stick with Doremi. For today, I'll watch Commie's since it's the first episode, but I'll replace it when Doremi releases theirs.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #75
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Well I've watched the first episode of Doki Doki Precure. Err...I also watched it on a super hero time stream when it aired, but I figured I'd wait and post when I saw it with subs.

I liked the first episode. There were a few things I could nitpick at, like Mana climbing the stairs of a massive tower almost as quickly as a crab monster running straight up the tower, and the fact that Makoto is an idol in the world right after she let a previous world die. The animation was a bit sloppy here and there as well. Of course it's Precure, so of course it'll have flaws like that. Other than that, no problems. I enjoyed it quite a bit actually.

The characters all seem to have some kind of depth, which is always a plus. Actually Cure Sword was pretty cool. I hope her story is as good as Cure Moonlight's. The first episode did a good job of introducing the girls. With Smile we got some really forced and nonsensical introduction, but they were introduced pretty naturally in Doki Doki.

For the monsters, we're back on puns. This time their personalities match their name, since they are born from peoples' selfish desires.

The ED was nice too. Thankfully the "no CGI ending" rumor was just a rumor. I've gotten pretty fond of them.

Let's hope they don't drop the ball with this. The designs are great and I really like the theme. It'd suck if they went Suite on us.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime