UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #101
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en/NY...ed-Autographs/

Only Stan Lee, Bruce Campbell, Minori Chihara, and Puffy Ami Yumi will require tickets. Brace and Puffy Amy Yumi must be bought. Mr. Lee and Ms. Chihara are first come first serve when they give them out. Hopefully I can get Chihara's ticket to sign Haruhi Season 1 Vol. 3.

Also want Tricia

As for meeting: I've had all my rabies shots and I don't bite ;p

I used to be timid too. Then I met some people from UPNetwork IRL and now I try to do it when I get the chance. If you don't want to, it's your choice. But the invite is always open.

EDIT: TIME TO SHOW OFF

Last edited by Loki; 09-25-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #102
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Ooh, thanks for that link! So there's another signing on Saturday... But 7AM? Dayum. I wonder if I can convince my friend(s) to get up that early. If only Stan Lee's signing was on the same day, my friend went wild when she heard he'd be there.

I need to find something for Ms. Chihara to sign if I can... Devoted fan though I may be, I'm not much of a merchandise collector. Maybe I can pick up a poster there or something.

*sigh* Looks like there's unfortunately no chance I'll make it to the movie. My friend can't get out of her class at all. =/ Guess we'll just have to have a movie night of our own when the DVD's out.

As for meeting... Well, we can discuss it over PMs, though I can't say I'll agree to anything concrete.

Edit- Ooh, the Cowboy Bebop movie's on my watch list. (Plus a lot of other animé, now that I finally have fast internet. Dial-up at home ftw.) Is it good?

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 09-25-2010 at 07:05 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #103
Loki

It's like a very long episode of Cowboy Bebop. If you liked the series, you will probably like the movie. It's also the only piece of merchandise they will sign because the VAs used their real names for it. They used pseudonyms during the series because it was not a union job at the time. Anyway, that's off topic.

I need to watch the rest of Season 2. Endless Eight was an enduring story arc.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #104
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I never saw the dub of Cowboy Bebop, though I've heard reviews that it's better than the original. Maybe I'll try watching the dubbed version of the movie.

For on-topic discussion, what did people think of season two (for those who've seen it)?

While I was disappointed after hearing about the E8 fiasco at first, I actually enjoyed watching it. I think it was a good set-up for the movie. It drummed up a lot of attention for the series, even if it was mostly bad. From a logistic POV, since the animé couldn't progress chronologically past Disappearance if they wanted to make it a movie instead of a story arc (better choice of presentation IMO), they needed to fill space somehow. Plus, I don't recall any other potential stories from the novels that would make good episode material. "Snow Mountain Syndrome" would've been the most likely candidate, but aside from fan/shipping service plus some Yuki character development, I don't think it has a lot of content to offer story-wise. I'm not opposed to fanservice - I would love to see the bedroom scene animated someday. It's just not the time or place, considering the animé timeline. "Charmed at First Sight LOVER‎" and the seventh novel are out for similar reasons. The introduction of the anti-SOS Brigade can also wait until the third season/publication of the tenth novel.

Mind, I'm only defending the "eight-episode Endless Eight" concept. I do feel the presentation could've been handled a bit better. Some more variation between the loops would've been nice. I only scraped through by paying attention to the angst!Itsuki/ItsuHaru hints the animé added. ("I LAV YOU" has become my new catchphrase on my YouTube channel. <3)

So that's my E8 rant. Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 09-25-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #105
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I hated it, but four "endless eight" episodes are still on my PC, waiting to be digested along with Planetes, LOTGH and other assorted things I haven't gotten to yet. Heck, even the final episode of my beloved Natsu no Arashi! awaits, pristine and untouched, though naturally tainted by the filth that is CR (I was desperate for the ending when I downloaded it, and Commie hadn't caught up).

As for the Bebop movie, I liked it a lot, but found I couldn't appreciate the series on the level a lot of people did. Dub being better than the sub is probably a factor of it being the first good dub of an anime people saw, and its "western" feel that made English feel more natural. I can say I doubt Bebop when dubbed was being primed to be the hit that it became, seems more like an usually honest, good effort. Personal opinion, but [adult swim] being so late at night probably gave Bebop a real "show" feel.

Just for reference, I tend to not like Quentin Tarantino movies. I'm not sure how that's relevant, but it apparently is, as there's a strong correlation between heart Tarantino and heart Bebop.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #106
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I'm probably going to be at comic con. I like meeting UPNers too. LET'S DO THIS!

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #107
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'll throw in my two cents.

Did Endless Eight piss me the fuck off? Yes it did.

Did I hate Endless Eight? Not really. Watching it as the new episodes released was kinda fun in a way.

As each week passed by, I watched the same episode in hopes that endless eight would end (didn't know it was endless eight at the time, so I was clueless.) First time I noticed it repeating, I didn't think anything of it. Second time, I was like "Oh, you~" Third time 'till the sixth time (I couldn't endure anymore after that) I was like "GOD DAMNIT!" I spent the entire episodes watching, anticipating the end moment in hopes that the last moment in the episode would change. It was like 20 minutes of constant suspense each episode. Even getting pissed off was fun in a way. I basically saw E8 as someone playing a prank on me. I do think 8 episodes was WAY too fucking much though.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #108
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Maybe I should note that I watched E8 in a four-hour marathon, so I got it over with quickly. That might've skewed my first impressions of it.

Honestly, I think the fan rage was the most entertaining part of the whole deal. I appreciate Endless Eight simply for the lulz.

How about BLR and Sighs? What'd you guys think of those episodes?

Also, I know I'm veering off-topic again, but this is the first time I've really talked with a bunch of animé experts. For the next series that I watch, I'm thinking of trying a Key title (Clannad, Air, Kanon). Any recommendations for which I should watch first?
Old 09-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #109
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
Also, I know I'm veering off-topic again, but this is the first time I've really talked with a bunch of animé experts. For the next series that I watch, I'm thinking of trying a Key title (Clannad, Air, Kanon). Any recommendations for which I should watch first?
Questions like this are best asked in my suggestion box. I'll give my opinion in my next post there.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #110
Lady Kuno

I did not like E8. I read it really quickly so I did not remember it too much, but having to wait a week and watching that same thing over and over again made me quite angryface.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #111
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Sorry, I have a lot of trouble stepping outside my comfort zone, as you can probably tell. ^^; Thanks for the response, bbb.

Personally, the main reason I was frustrated by E8 at first was because that meant no Disappearance arc. Now that there's a movie, I'm totally fine with it. As long as I see smiling Yuki at some point I'm happy.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #112
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Actually, the questions she asked were perfect for this thread, BBB. Your discussion box has always struck me as our sort of chat room, a place where we can tell people what we're doing, what we've thought of series we didn't bother to post stand-alone threads for, etc.

But since a Haruhi Season II thread exists, and she's asking S2-related questions in it, I couldn't think of a place she could possibly have posted it which would have been more appropriate.

I mean, discussing in your thread is fine too, but your thread is a catch-all thread. If somebody wants to post Haruhi questions in a Haruhi thread, seems like the right option to me.

==========================================

As for thoughts on E8, let's find my posts, shall we?

What the heck? I distinctly recall discussing Endless 8 with Doppel and the others. And yet my searches for posts I wrote containing the words "endless" or "haruhi" only turn up one relevant post! This one: http://forums.upnetwork.net/showpost...6&postcount=68

Anyway, I guess I'll have to write up my thoughts next post ...
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #113
Lady Kuno

Talon is scary, I can understand why you would be uncomfortable around him.

I've been out of the anime loop with my new job so I didn't know there was a movie. Time to get downloading! Although if they are showing it at comic con I might go see it there.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #114
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'll show you scary! Read the thread first, Kuno! If you had done so, you'd have known that you wouldn't be able to find the movie online yet! (Well, you can: but the only one out there is a camcorder-in-the-theater version, one which neither I nor LilBlu have had any interest in tainting our experiences with by watching. It's DVD for me or bust!)
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #115
Lady Kuno

It's my forums, I can choose not to read certain things if I want to. Also I hate cam vids. Yuck.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #116
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Actually, the questions she asked were perfect for this thread, BBB. Your discussion box has always struck me as our sort of chat room, a place where we can tell people what we're doing, what we've thought of series we didn't bother to post stand-alone threads for, etc.

But since a Haruhi Season II thread exists, and she's asking S2-related questions in it, I couldn't think of a place she could possibly have posted it which would have been more appropriate.

I mean, discussing in your thread is fine too, but your thread is a catch-all thread. If somebody wants to post Haruhi questions in a Haruhi thread, seems like the right option to me.
Eh? I figured you woulda got on to us if we started talking about Key stuff in this thread. That's the only reason I made that request to her. Sorta like how we veered off topic in the FMA thread and we got a good lashing.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #117
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

My mom just came by and wanted to cut my hair, so I convinced her to try to give me Yuki's hairstyle. It kinda fails, but I like it anyway. <3 (I wear glasses too.)

And Talon's not that scary. =D He convinced me to come out of my hidey hole and talk to you guys.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #118
Loki

LilBlu: Talon is nice. I'm not afraid.

Loki: You will be. You... will... be.

/yoda
Old 09-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #119
Lady Kuno

You aren't afraid because you don't know his dark past.

Spoiler: show
He is a mecha space zombie ninja from the future sent to the past to post on a Pokemon message board.

Also Yuki hair sounds awesome. Then again anything Yuki-related is awesome.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #120
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Pff! Post a picture of Kyon's sister in a bikini and see if you're still not scared. (Not recommended btw)
Old 09-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #121
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
You aren't afraid because you don't know his dark past.

Spoiler: show
He is a mecha space zombie ninja from the future sent to the past to post on a Pokemon message board.

Also Yuki hair sounds awesome. Then again anything Yuki-related is awesome.
Zomg no wai.

And Yuki is indeed awesome. She's my favorite character because a. My IRL personality is a lot like her's in Disappearance, and b. Normal Yuki is badass.

edit- @BBB I've seen worse. Much, much worse.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #122
Lady Kuno

Quote:

And Yuki is indeed awesome. She's my favorite character because a. My IRL personality is a lot like her's in Disappearance, and b. Normal Yuki is badass.
By saying Normal Yuki is badass implies regular Yuki is not. :O!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Pff! Post a picture of Kyon's sister in a bikini and see if you're still not scared. (Not recommended btw)
Kyon-kun~ denwa~

Old 09-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #123
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Eh? I figured you woulda got on to us if we started talking about Key stuff in this thread. That's the only reason I made that request to her. Sorta like how we veered off topic in the FMA thread and we got a good lashing.
So true! :o I totally missed her talking about Key stuff in this thread. My apologies, BBB!

Yeah, I really do tend to be a "each topic in its own place" kind of guy. Non-Haruhi talk not inside a Haruhi thread.

Even though I'm like UPN's king of derailing threads myself. >_>;

Quote:
BBB's two for two! lol So true. So very, very true. UPN's resident anti-lolikon, it is I. That stated, I have been known to be friends with lolikons before. Just usually not the ones who are flamboyant about it. >_>; I have even been known in truce time to make peace offerings such as this:

But it's pretty rare. Lolikons and I are like oil and water usually.

Last edited by Talon87; 09-26-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #124
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
By saying Normal Yuki is badass implies regular Yuki is not. :O!
By "normal", I was referring to non-Disappearance Yuki. ^^; Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #125
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
So true! :o I totally missed her talking about Key stuff in this thread. My apologies, BBB!

Yeah, I really do tend to be a "each topic in its own place" kind of guy. Non-Haruhi talk not inside a Haruhi thread.

Even though I'm like UPN's king of derailing threads myself. >_>;
I declare this thread for Haruhi and Comic Con only. ::STAMPS::

Quote:

By "normal", I was referring to non-Disappearance Yuki. ^^; Sorry for the confusion.
Yeah I know, but you don't think non-Dissappearence Yuki is badass? :o

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime