UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #2826
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You have a better memory than I do, then, about that. I don't remember that. But I can see it happening.

EDIT: Watched the first episode of No.6. It wasn't as yaoi as I'd been led to believe. Yes, the main character might be gay. Yes, the second main character might also be gay. But never mind that. It looks like No.6 could be an interesting story. Unique? Hell no. But interesting? Yes. It's got Brave New World written all over it. And I enjoyed that book quite a bit. Still: I would recommend holding off until next week if you haven't started it yet. The first episode ends with surprisingly little having been accomplished and, while not being a cliffhanger ending, leaves you wanting more and being surprised that the ending credits begin to roll when they do.

I also watched the first episode of Blood-C last night. Wasn't too impressed. She seems more like an exorcist than a vampire slayer, and not a single vampire was alluded to all episode, so it kind of feels like false advertisement to call this show "Blood" as if it were based off of the Blood: the Last Vampire story. It also isn't explained what her power is and to what extent her father knows about it. Is she a vampire? Is she a "half-vampire" like exist in some franchises? Is she not a vampire at all but she just happens to channel a mystical power which turns her irises red and her pupils into slits? And if she is a vampire, to any extent, how come she doesn't exhibit the tell-tale signs of one like fangs or an insatiable blood lust? We don't know. The first episode of this series seemed to spend a lot of time trying to show how Saya leads a false life as a bumbling meganekko who has amazing athletic ability but is clumsy and habitually tardy. It doesn't let us know where Saya's mother went, whether her father is as powerful as her or not, why he would let his daughter risk her life doing this stuff, whether they do it just out of the goodness of their hearts or whether they do it for some greater purpose, and so on. But it's too early to write this one off. Will keep watching.

EDIT 2: I really enjoyed the opening to No.6 so I thought I'd encourage you guys to check it out. I really dig the chorus (kicks in around 0:5 and I also really like the symbolism of having Shion (the main character) have the artificial implants of the city blown out of his body as the truth about the world he lives in comes to light and he grows into the young man he'll become. If I'm right about this story having a Brave New World angle to it, then that observation will probably be spot on: and if it is, then kudos to the animators for drawing Shion's transformation in such a pleasant-to-look-at symbolic way.

Last edited by Talon87; 07-09-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #2827
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Now that we're on that subject, I actually plan to read this boy love manga called Loveless. YOU SEE, I had this overwhelming urge to read it after seeing the premise: It takes place in a world where people are born with cat ears, and once they lose their virginity, they fall off. Then I started thinking about how great it would be if I was in that world and I could at least get some cat ears out of it.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #2828
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That's such a bizarre premise. And why would you want to lose your cat ears? That just seems so weird to me. Hymens? Who wants to hold onto those? Cat ears? HELL YEAH!

This talk of kemonomimi programs has reminded me that I wanted both Dog Days and Asobi ni Iku yo to be really great shows. Haven't touched either yet but the reviews aren't very favorable. Dog Days seemed to get consistently panned into the 7-to-5 territory on MyAnimeList while Asobi ni Iku yo was more bimodal, with a lot of 9-to-7 scores counterbalanced by a lot of 4-to-2 scores. And the latter has given us such cute doujins, too. It's a crime that it isn't a more enjoyable story. Just like it's a crime that I can't watch Sora no Otoshimono given that it looks like absolute tripe despite having one of the most gorgeous anime characters in decades.

But back to No.6, you should check it out next week when Episode 02 comes out. Let me know what you think of it. Did you ever read Brave New World growing up? How about 1984 or other dystopian sci-fi books? It looks like No.6 fits into that vein. Might be too soon to tell.

Looks like No.6 is only slated for 11 episodes. (Haow. ) But after that, it looks like it's being replaced by a show called Guilty Crown. Ever heard of it? I hadn't, so I looked up the premise. Here it is from MyAnimeList:
Quote:
The story takes place in Tokyo in 2039. After the outbreak of the unidentified virus "Lost Christmas" in 2029, Japan has been under the control of a multinational organization called GHQ. Ohma Shu is a 17 year old boy who has a psychic power in his right hand. He can use the power "Ability of King" to extract tools or weapons from his friends. He has been avoiding making trouble for others but his life changes when he meets a girl named Yuzuriha Inori, a member of a resistance guerrilla group called "Undertaker", whose members pilot mecha weapons to fight against the government.
They had me at "unidentified virus 'Lost Christmas'" ("Tief Blau? EVER17!? ") but promptly lost me at "has a psychic power in his right hand." Then they sorta kinda regained me with the final sentences since it evoked a Code Geass vibe. Here's a preview for it on Youtube. It looks ... okay. ^^; It could be great? But it could also be a real letdown. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #2829
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Yeah, I actually wonder if people would hold off on having sex to keep their cat ears as a fashion statement (I know I would), or if people who still had them would be laughed at and considered losers. The guys anyway.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #2830
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hanasaku Iroha:
Hadn't sat down to watch an episode of Iroha in a month, so today I decided to catch up and watch Episodes 11 and 12. I gotta say, it's fun to watch things weekly when it means I can talk about them and discuss theories about what's going to happen later, but otherwise watching anime weekly pretty much sucks. 'Cause you just can't beat having the entire show at your fingertips. Translation: had I watched Episode 11 the week it came out, I'd have been dying to see 12 all week. Glad I was able to enjoy them back-to-back.

This series is a reaction face goldmine and Episodes 11 and 12 were no exceptions. Some of the ones which stood out the most to me were these two comical ones plus this one serious one:

The show is getting good but it's still firmly in "7 - Good" territory by the MyAnimeList scale, or "good but not silver medalist good" by my own. But silver medalist or not, it's a pleasant story and I look forward to watching more of it. And it's still got twelve episodes to go with me, so anything could happen.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #2831
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
I found another vampire anime, though it's a bit of a Vampire-magic combination then pure vampire, Itsuka Tenma No Kuro Usagi, I just finished the first episode, and this one looks quite interesting too. It's got blood and fanservice, but not obtrusively so. Basically a young boy was friends with a young vampire-like girl, makes a promise, and she makes him into a sort of vampire, then he forgets for 9 years, living life like a normal student (he still grows). Then an unsettling event makes him remember. Apparently the vampire girl has been magically imprisoned for those whole 9 years.

Talon may not like the first episode, as she starts out rather loli, and her imprisonment is by being partially encased in a block of solid magic, in a magic dimension, fully naked. She's censored by her hair, the block of magic, and other convenient obtrusions though.

But, in Talon's favor, she's at least as old as the boy, and when released, she uses her magic to grow her body to her appropriate age (and bust size) and clothe herself. I do not know if she'll ever revert back to loli later or not. It very much does Not seem like she would, but I wanted to put the warning out there just in case.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #2832
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Oh, how surprising. ANN fixed their Zero synopsis. Now all I have to do is let the 30 other sites that used the same one know.

Actually, nah.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #2833
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I decided to pick up The Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa. I might start talking about it in the thread about it if I feel like it.

Also, I decided fuck it and went ahead and deleted my Ro-Kyu-Bu folder. No point in watching past the first episode. I know it'll be unbearable garbage.

In other news. Touhou + Shaft = this
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 AM   #2834
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Awesome. There's some draggy parts, but it's so worth it!

I was surprised that DCD and Talon were turned off by volume 1, although they didn't read the whole thing. I found volume 1 to be a masterpiece within a masterpiece.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #2835
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Frustrated that Kaiji is in such poor hands. Triad's pretty much dried up, Nutbladder's been getting worse and worse about the bad habit of delayed releases, and Underwater-Commie's still holding out on us and refusing to officially pick this one up.

Finished Black Lagoon today. (All 24 episodes of the TV show. No omakes or OVAs yet.) It was an okay show. It was also not a show for me, apparently, since one of my friends ranks it a 9/10 on MyAnimeList and I'm sat here trying to figure out whether I should rank it a 6 ("fair") or a 5 ("average"). I thought the stories were mostly boring and I absolutely hated the direction and/or editing.

Thinking for the umpteenth bajillionth time about picking FSN back up. May well do it. Will see.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #2836
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Black Lagoon is a story that started off strong, but got worse/more ridiculous as time went on. The show was more or less done for me when they introduced the indestructible maid - up to that point, BL was a sort of modern day pulp action story, with fun characters who had a little bit of depth.

Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage was almost completely terrible, too. I only modestly liked how BL Company could have competing interests with its usual clients at times, but they really made Balalaika out to be a bleach. :/ Also, Rock didn't have anymore cool moments, so his "romance" with Revy didn't seem to progress much.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #2837
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I just watched the first episode of Nekogami. For the most part, it felt really rushed, and by the time I watched the entire episode, I had no idea what was going on. I mean, it's a comedy, so I guess knowing doesn't matter, but the episode wasn't funny either. Nekogami seems like a fusion of Touhou and Di Gi Charat.

Actually, alot of characters are very similar to Touhou characters. The main girl's alot like Marisa in personality, and like Marisa, she has some girls who are in love with her. One of the girls being like Alice. Another character is like a homeless Patchy. Oh, and I think their income is based on shrine donations. I guess this is what you'd expect from someone who mostly does Touhou doujins.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #2838
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Black Lagoon is one of those shows that I constantly see praise for, but have this gut feeling I wouldn't like. Then again, I had a gut feeling that I WOULD like Haibane Renmei, and I didn't.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #2839
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I dunno. I thought it was weak all around (okay animation, okay characters, okay stories, poor pacing, poor delivery/execution, poor music) but a friend of mine thinks it's God's gift to this world. You liked Darker than Black, though, right? Maybe you should check it out.

Next on his list of recommendations I'm to polish off would be Ergo Proxy. The good: he says it's like Blade Runner only taken in a different direction. The bad: I still haven't seen Blade Runner and my friend says he thinks I'd like this less than Black Lagoon (greeeat ).

Still no Kaiji 14. I swear, if Nutbladder doesn't release 14 and 15 together tomorrow, why I ... *grumble grumble grumble*

Where's Little Blue gone to? Haven't seen her in a while.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #2840
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I liked Darker than Black, but not THAT much. I rated it "Decent". The best parts were the OVA episodes. I also thought season 2 was entertaining, even though it got really outrageous toward the end (most people HATE season 2). It certainly is more engaging with its linear plotline. I never felt like I had to watch the next episode with season 1.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #2841
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post

Next on his list of recommendations I'm to polish off would be Ergo Proxy. The good: he says it's like Blade Runner only taken in a different direction. The bad: I still haven't seen Blade Runner and my friend says he thinks I'd like this less than Black Lagoon (greeeat )
If you remember, I saw Ergo Proxy a while back, and I thought it was pretty good, I found it rather engaging, and the mood of the story was great, with the exception of a couple episodes which seemed to do very very little for the story, and were just absolutely off with the whole mood as well. I found the opener to really set the tone, and really portrayed the Apocalyptic feel well. The ending wasn't quite up to par IMO though, but overall I enjoyed it. It's also full of philosophical little tidbits, which were also enjoyable.

Quote:
Where's Little Blue gone to? Haven't seen her in a while.
She replied to my PM a couple days or so ago, but since then she's vanished, haven't seen any trace. Oh Blue, where are you?

Last edited by unownmew; 07-12-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #2842
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

She's playing Pokemon White.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #2843
unownmew
Banned

That's right, she did mention to me that she was getting more interested in emulation. I didn't think it would cause her to disappear though. ^^;

I ought to get a DS emulator myself..

Last edited by unownmew; 07-12-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 AM   #2844
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Even though the anime didn't sit too well with me, I decided that I'll try to read the Hokuto no Ken manga. Most of the problems I had with the show are things that can't be done in a manga, so I'm hoping for a better experience. I don't care how, I HAVE to get through all of this title. Hokuto no Ken has so many awesome parodies. It's disrespectful of me to enjoy all those pictures and not get what's going on!

This has nothing to do with anime, and I'm like 12 years behind all you up-to-date youngsters, but I decided to touch upon the older PC RPG world with Diablo 2.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:14 AM   #2845
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

If older RPGs are to your fancy, you, BPK, Loki and myself should really set up a Baldur's Gate session. I'd love to play the grand olde adventure, it was always better with other people, but TCP/IP has always been a blastoderm for connections.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #2846
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
She's playing Pokemon White.
Actually, Platinum. I'm working my way up. Sorry, I have a tendency to marathon - this applies to both animé and games. (Though it's been more frustrating than fun so far since I can't find any Pokémon I like, and the one I do hatched with a blah ability. x_X)

Since Ano Hana ended, I've been somewhat less motivated to return to the library for animé stuffs. I am very interested in watching Usagi Drop this season, but that's about it. (Slightly tempted to at least check out Idolm@ster now to see if it's as gender-exclusive as Talon says it is.)

I did finish Fap Note, and it was quite excellent. Haven't had the courage to write a proper review yet though. ^^;

I also have seen through episode 14 of HanaIro. 12 and 13 were great. Loved the interaction between all three generations of Shijima women. Been reluctant to warm up to grandma until now since I felt the development was too swift, but this was a perfect "turning point" scene that allowed me to accept her soft side.

Oh, Talon, I'm about halfway through T&T, I think. Taking a break from it for now. I have another guess about what the major grievance in Apollo Justice could be though. Is it the part where you have to show people evidence in order to trigger conversations?
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #2847
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post
Oh, Talon, I'm about halfway through T&T, I think. Taking a break from it for now. I have another guess about what the major grievance in Apollo Justice could be though. Is it the part where you have to show people evidence in order to trigger conversations?
It isn't a technical thing. It has to do with the story. I would quit asking questions about it though or else someone is bound to spill the beans. Just get there whenever you get there, no rush.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #2848
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Hello!

Speaking of spilling the beans, Muyo already revealed to me some of the background behind Phoenix's and Mia's relationship. x.X I'm reluctant to continue in part because I'm afraid to face her now. Argh, this is why I hate shipping...

In other news, third case was lolz. Fanservice ftw! (Too bad Oldbag didn't show up. Would've loved to see her interact with that old seed-throwing guy. At least Larry appeared again, yay~)
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #2849
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Shame on Muyo for telling you anything. >_>; Shame on you for tempting him, though!
Old 07-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #2850
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post

Actually, Platinum. I'm working my way up. Sorry, I have a tendency to marathon - this applies to both animé and games. (Though it's been more frustrating than fun so far since I can't find any Pokémon I like, and the one I do hatched with a blah ability. x_X)

Hey, same here! I got a DS emulator and Platinum right after I posted about needing to get one.

Currently at the first gym (just got beaten ), and have already overfilled my team with pokemon. Just one that I actually like and plan to keep for good, but 2 others are actually old pokemon I've never actually raised before outside of powerleveling (Onyx and Psyduck).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime