UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 04-18-2022, 02:42 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Critical race theory

I was curious about the recent hubbub with Florida, and the controversy around Common Core/CRT and how could math textbooks be promoting woke culture.

I don't want to comment on that too much, but I do want to point out a bias I've noticed in every single article relating to CRT on the blue side: despite the tenets of CRT being fairly generalized, it's always used in context to refer to blacks and black poverty.

This bothers me because there's almost no discussion about the plight of Native Americans who suffer many of the same poverty/institutional/cultural issues as blacks, except that it's a northern midwestern versus a south eastern issue. There ABSOLUTELY was racism against Native Americans when I lived in rural Minnesota, there are geographical and districting striations to reinforce poverty.

That said, I can see why a lot of reds fear CRT: it basically indocrinates young children to be anti-US government. It's a threat to long-standing regimes held in place by a wealthy (or at least comfortable) power base, but it doesn't really promise anything except to destabilize those regimes. If you topple white power, what fills the void? It's impossible to promise an equality of outcome in a capitalist society where the ones with the power to fiat such outcomes refuse to do so.

I guess CRT is like the theory equivalent to BLM. BLM was just a slogan, and the organization bearing the same name didn't really have any teeth to do anything. So I don't see why CRT is something to be feared, unless one thinks skipping the Holocaust in schools means that everyone's going to warp into a raging Anti-Semite.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:06 AM   #2
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I was curious about the recent hubbub with Florida, and the controversy around Common Core/CRT and how could math textbooks be promoting woke culture.

I don't want to comment on that too much, but I do want to point out a bias I've noticed in every single article relating to CRT on the blue side: despite the tenets of CRT being fairly generalized, it's always used in context to refer to blacks and black poverty.

This bothers me because there's almost no discussion about the plight of Native Americans who suffer many of the same poverty/institutional/cultural issues as blacks, except that it's a northern midwestern versus a south eastern issue. There ABSOLUTELY was racism against Native Americans when I lived in rural Minnesota, there are geographical and districting striations to reinforce poverty.

That said, I can see why a lot of reds fear CRT: it basically indocrinates young children to be anti-US government. It's a threat to long-standing regimes held in place by a wealthy (or at least comfortable) power base, but it doesn't really promise anything except to destabilize those regimes. If you topple white power, what fills the void? It's impossible to promise an equality of outcome in a capitalist society where the ones with the power to fiat such outcomes refuse to do so.

I guess CRT is like the theory equivalent to BLM. BLM was just a slogan, and the organization bearing the same name didn't really have any teeth to do anything. So I don't see why CRT is something to be feared, unless one thinks skipping the Holocaust in schools means that everyone's going to warp into a raging Anti-Semite.
Just a few thoughts:

1. CRT is a red herring, kinda like Antifa. I'm in education, and have always worked in public schools, never once did the state guidelines ask us to teach something that criticized white actors in the stage of world history, focus more on race relations or slavery over other topics, or talk about how to dismantle the system and take it to the "man". I live in a liberal state with very blue legislators.

The Republicans unleash right-wing hacks to smokescreen the public with this stuff because they are wrong on the issues and in many cases -do- actually reinforce a system that keep's down people who are not white, rich, or men. I would know as someone who checks off the list in regard to being a white guy.

2. There are plenty of people who have written material who's books were yanked due to anti-CRT mania who did not focus on black people. The focus on this being a "black only" issue is used by the right to divide any coalition that might stand up to the powers that be. It's even possible that the numerical amount of books that have been targeted may have been by black authors, as a circumstantial phenomenon where this group of Americans were influenced by others to speak up about their plight.

3. I assure you that Native Americans are oppressed throughout the country, as well as African Americans. The United States is doing everything it can shy of literally shooting people, to destroy the will of everyone on those federal reserves. IF malnutrition, exposure, or alcohol doesn't kill people, moving off of the reservation to live in poor parts of "mainstream" America, will assimilate people and reduce their identity. Another puzzle piece in an underclass.

4. Pointing out systematic racism or cultural racism doesn't indoctrinate people to hate their country. It's not as simple as "nothing to see here" and loving your country no matter what it does VS. being anti-American for pointing out its faults and wanting to change things.

5. As far as "toppling" white power, I don't see that happening in some kind of war or insurgency, but then again I didn't forsee Jan 6 or the current levels of white nationalism in 2022 either. I don't see this as sustainable forever. It could take another century or so but if non-white Americans are given the same financial, property, educational, health, nutritional, opportunities, not to mention internet access at home, and are not held back by discriminatory employers or legacy quotas at great colleges, then yes, over time you could see some measurable equality. However that would be literally everything I just listed going off without a hitch... unlikely. So we are looking at a longer timeline. With the unfortunate advent of conservative culture in the last 40 years, who knows how much -further- things can be held back.

Last edited by AK2; 07-14-2022 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Typo
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate