UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #576
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
So uh.

Anyone else played Last of Us 2? Because my god it might have knocked Fallout 76 off the train wreck podium.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:25 AM   #577
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
So uh.

Anyone else played Last of Us 2? Because my god it might have knocked Fallout 76 off the train wreck podium.
I haven't but I've been hearing about it a lot. What happened to it?

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #578
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
I haven't but I've been hearing about it a lot. What happened to it?
Spoiler: show

From what I can tell, the main character of the franchise, Joel, was killed off midway through the game and replaced as protagonist with his killer, who is being portrayed by a progressive female character.

Regardless of the in-universe justification for this, there are metacontextual optics to consider with such a plot twist - namely, that gamers (who are predominantly men) are finding themselves assaulted in their escapism by identity politics, especially at the hands of feminist bloggers. It's happening in movies, television, video games and (supposedly) even prior installments of The Last of Us.

The idea of a progressive female killing a white man is an unsubtle effigy of real world political metaphor, especially if it's the protagonist who players fiercely identify with.

Doubling down with this is that the twist is apparently clumsy and awkward, rather than properly built up drama. Poor writing serves to reinforce cynicism that the twist was politically and not creatively motivated.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #579
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
See I actually liked that twist (even though I saw it coming because it's so telegraphed, which does detract from the impact somewhat). I liked the new characters they introduced as well.

Realistically, Joel's character arc was over with the first game. Killing him off early wasn't just a good decision so much as a necessary one, imo.

My issue is it has zero pacing. Both the story and the gameplay is a relentless barrage of brutality, which means the big moments - including deaths of characters every bit as well written as the likes of Henry, Sam and Tess from the first game - just don't stand out. And there's no space to reflect on them after they happen because the game throws you straight back into hours more of endless combat. I think TV tropes has a page about stories being so dark the audience becomes apathetic about what happens, and this is the perfect example.

Tl;Dr characters are good, underlying plot is good but shockingly poorly told.

Fortunately my local second hand game store was willing to buy it off me for exactly how much they were selling the FF7 remake for, so I swapped it for that.

Last edited by Concept; 06-26-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:38 PM   #580
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

//Gotten!
Yakuza Remastered Collection
~ It took Segac a decade ta release a non-butchered version of Yakuza 3 here! That an a disc copy of 5 were the big selling points for me!

Trials of Mana (Remake)
~ I heard this was a much better game than the extremely mediocre Secret of Mana and that it was a full on remake rather than a graphics hack. So I thought I'd try it out!

Sakura Wars
~ After all the Sakura Wars I'd binged on in the last year I was very ready for this to come out here!

//Demo'd!
Final Fantasy VII Remake
~ I didn't even finish the demo. Its so slow and battles so boring. Super Soldier Cloud of the original FF7 earned his rep in the early game/demo portion by 1-shotting all normal baddies and here it takes him 6-7 swings of his sword ro down them? Even worse, theres a bunch he can't even hit since they're outta range or whatever nonsense they're going for. When prompted to use Barret, I immediately wanted to stop using him cause his gameplay of standing in place holding the shoot button sucked! I've been advised to try it again on Easy an maybe I will but that was awhile ago an it keeps slipping my mind ever since.

//Finished!
Columns
~ Time: 00:10:00
~ Played to top the high score an succeeded. I dun like/dislike this game, its just kinda something I'll pick up an play every once in a great while since forevers.

Tetris
~ Time: 00:05:07
~ Once again chased the high score. Genesis Tetris is weird, clunky, hard to control, an overall not great. I'm not Tetris master but sheesh what even is this version?

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition
~ Time: 00:14:16
~ Ran through arcade mode on the easiest settings like usual cause why not. Course before that I'm pretty sure I had ta download yet another massive update for it >.>

Virtua Fighter 2 (Genesis)
~ Time: 00:08:10
~ This version of the game'll forever suck. Dun care what arguements in defense of it someone gives.

.hack//Infection
~ Time: 14:39:41
~ What more can I even say about these? This time my playthroughs are to discoverer armor/weapon locations. Like I've built up locations for many of 'em over the years so this is to catch as many remaining stragglers left. Super successful on the armor front a quite successful on the weapon one.

Yakuza 3 Remastered
~ Time: 72:16:43
~ Been 6 years since I'd last played Y3 an while I always liked it, because of how gutted the PS3 release was it felt empty. Well guess what this re-release at long last corrected Segacs foolishness! Pretty much skyrocketed my like of this game to the top of the series alongside 6. Dad Kiryu is best Kiryu.

Yakuza 4 Remastered
~ Time: 69:23:39
~ Again, 6 years since I last played and time was not kind to it. Akiyama's great an all but his fighting styles rather boring an his substories mostly being about his job so there's few wacky out there ones. Trashman has always sucked and still does for every concievable reason. That basically makes the first half of the game not the greatest. Second set of characters save it to some extent but overall its real good but also real real bad in some parts.

.hack//Mutation
~ Time: 11:58:32
~ Super successful on tracking down stray armor, very successful on tracking down stray weapons! Oh an dun let the play time of these games fool ya. I spent 37 hours on Infection and over 38 in Mutation crawling through dungeon after dungeon in search of gear!!

Trials of Mana
~ Time: 20:27:56
~ Went with the team of Hawkeye, Duran, and Charlotte for no particular reason. I've never played the SNES version of this game so I went in blind and walked away feeling ok about the game. Combats way better than SoM but its still generic action/rpg combat. The story/characters are obviously dated due to being brought up from an SNES game. Musics not a strong point as it was in SoM. Not to memorable outside of songs from that game. Overall its I guess slightly above mediocre? I'm starting to have the feeling the Mana series has been massively overhyped lol.

Team Sonic Racing
~ Time: 05:51:30
~ I dared ta give this a second chance after putting about an hour into an clearing the first world last year and I really shouldn't have bothered. But I kept at it an made it through to the end. Its not fun, doesn't feel great to control, blah blah. Bad game.

Sonic Generations
~ Time: 01:02:44
~ I played through the whole game again in order to finally grab all the remaining collectibles/unlockables and it went well... sort of? Theres quite a few red rings that are a nightmare to get. An in going for 'em I found myself inside of walls, out of bounds, classic 3D Sonic broken game stuff that I didn't experience in prior playthroughs. Overall though it was a bunch of fun. Oh an my time is based on the games Time Trial mode in which ya go through each stage sans any skills/powerups, cause it sure took me a whole lot more than an hour to unlock everything!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #581
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

//Finished!
.hack//Outbreak
~ Time: 14:52:14
~ Still the second worst game in the series in my book! Starting ya off with a couple of Kite-solo dungeons is rough even when you're overleveled an experienced an well-prepared. Well whatevers I gots alot more valuable gear location info so it was worth the playthrough!

Yakuza 5 Remastered
~ Time: 111:23:49
~ If I didn't consider Yakuza 0 the worst game in the series that I've played, then this would take that spot. What is has over 0 is both ambition and budget. However both are squandered on a terrible story an overall extremely bloated game. Despite all that I tried giving it a fair shot an shooting for high completion as I did with 3/4 earlier this year but at some point near the very end of one of the inane, unfun grinds, I just snapped an gave up! From there I plowed through the lil story that remained an tossed the disc aside!
Old 11-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #582
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

//Finished!
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
~ Time: 00:02:34
~ Played this through Yakuza 6 in search of completion rewards an managed ta beat it so yay! I'm used to vanillla PS3 VF5 an can tell that this one looks noticably better by a bit. What other differences there are aside from thats beyond me! Still a fun fighter to run through.

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
~ Time: 67:28:51
~ In my memory this game was super good and in replaying it for the first time I was proven right! I feel like 3 & 6 are the best games in the series pretty even an for pretty similar reasons. Dad Kiryu's the best. As usual this time around I took the time to do just about everything I hadn't done in the first run an as a result ended with super high completion, most of which was fun to acheive so yay!

.hack//Quarantine
~ Time: 10:16:09
~ Wrapped up my latest IMOQ replay along with the loads of extra time spent dungeon diving for equipment locations. Save files sitting at over 150 hours an I still got more to do before I can call it a 100% run!

Street Fighter V: Champion Edition
~ Time: 00:18:54
~ I got this as a present so why not count it seperately from Arcade Edition despite it being an upgrade? The title on the box has changed an thats what counts! Ran through arcade mode as one of the many newly unlocked characters an had a good time doing so, so there!

Sakura Wars
~ Time: 26:09:06
~ So slow! So boring! So long!! Seriously what visual novels are over 20 hrs long? Lemme know so I can avoid 'em! The presentations great, but I wasn't caring for like any of the characters or even the story. Had more fun with the barebones hack & slash battle sections and Koi Koi Wars mini-game than the actual VN part which says to me that Segac messed up big time here.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:24 PM   #583
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

//Gotten!
Yakuza 7: Whereabouts of Light and Darkness
~ Gots me some new Yakuza an this time its straight up an rpg! My tired, tired fingers are grateful!

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
~ As soon as this was announced an said that it has a new story mode I was sold on it!

Devil May Cry 5
~ Bring on that cute, cute Nero goodness!

Dragon Quest Builders 2
~ ???? Its DQ so its prolly good?

Final Fantasy VII Remake
~ Seems inevitable I'd end up with this. Despite my demo impressions I'll go in giving the full game a fair shot.

Valkyria Chronicles 4
~ They replaced the medic with a dog. Just how low will videogames stoop to pander to dogs/dog lovers?!

//Finished!
Super Mario Maker (3DS)
~ Time: 01:03:04
~ Hearing about how new level uploadings getting the axe at the end of March got me to thinking about an then replaying this. Not the story mode, but the 100 Mario Challenge. Did it on Easy & Normal. Plenty of weird, bad, and non-levels out there!

Puyo Puyo Tetris
~ Time: 05:11:38
~ Replayed the story mode ta brush up on the characters an details an gameplay modes in prep for the sequel! Went much smoother than my first playthrough. Guess I've learned alil about puyo'ing an tetris'ing along the way! Real good game an story!

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - Episode 2
~ Time: 16:21:04
~ When the fan translation for this hit, I pretty much dropped everything an gobbled it up! Started a fresh new character and played through the new, finally translated story mode an had a pretty good time doing so. Now I'm back to leveling my main to 200 an understanding the game alot more! Great game, great fan patch!

Yakuza 7: Whereabouts of Light and Darkness
~ Time: 91:36:18
~ This was way to long!! I'm pretty stupid an didn't know how taxis worked so almost the whole game I was running to places onfoot instead of speedin' around in a cab. That prolly ate a bunch of time. Did some job grinding to so yeah. But even so, the late game difficulty spike and forced grinding was dumb an bad as heck. The rest of the game though? Pretty great! There were other rough spots but plenty more bright spots!

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
~ Time: 06:49:12
~ Most of the story was killin' me with how it wasn't but was a followup to the first, but it, I think worked out in the end. The direction it took and pay off was alright. Maybe not as strong as the first game but I enjoyed it still! Theres a new mode that I dun really understand yet but will prolly come around to in time. Other than that an the story this really is the same game as the first. Worth it to me for the story but not alot of others seem to share that thought.

Final Fantasy VII
~ Time: 11:58:47
~ Think this was my quickest time yet! Was in a mad rush ta beat down Sephiroth before the year ended, or something!
Old 01-02-2021, 05:03 AM   #584
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Loki got me Nier: Automata for Christmas and it's been great. Managed to 100% it too. Very fun game. =3=

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #585
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

//Done!
Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)
~ Time: 25:04:36
~ Game or "experience" you decide. I lean towards the latter. The full game wasn't any better for me than the demo. I got through it cause I slapped it on easy mode but that didn't serve ta make it fun or anything. Battles are so infrequent its not worth learning how to "play the right way" an besides that its dumb that combats gotta have a super strict an repetitive "right way" ta do it. Story, I didn't really get it. I liked them adding some compilation stuff in any case. Oh an there sure was alot of filler an slow walking huh? Never did notice the "FF7r door" peeps fuss about it.

Street Fighter V: Champion Edition (PS4)
~ Time: 00:17:20
~ I beat arcade mode.

Devil May Cry 5 (PS4)
~ Time: 09:13:48
~ This quite good an a step up from DMC3 and 4. V was fun to use, Nero's always fun and cute. Dante exists. Really is time for him to move on/retire an let Nero takeover. Environments coulda used some work. Pretty interesting early on, then most of the rest of the game take place in pretty much the same looking places.

Kirby Mass Attack (DS)
~ Time: 09:32:00
~ Having to collect all the rainbow medals in order to unlock the last world still sucks but otherwise this is still a real good an cute Kirby game! Prolly not ever gonna get another one like this again!

Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4)
~ Time: 73:00:48
~ This was good. Like super ultra good. Best DQ of the past generation if ya ask me! Had so much fun building up my bases to make the peoples happy. Would just straight drop the plot an do that for hours at a time. Which is prolly why it took me over 70 hours to finish! An ya know what I'm usually drained of a game which takes that long to beat but not the case here! Got right into the post-game of "build forever"!
Old 07-04-2021, 06:20 AM   #586
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Finished

Chrono Trigger (PC)
Time: 20:12 or summat

I finally got around to finishing a really good game that I had a lot of fun with. Still really holds up well, even if some of the later fights are a bit unfair and the extra DS content kind of sucks and is peak Game Design(TM). I kind of respect a game that has minor mechanics like chest upgrading that it is simply not going to tell you about and you need to find out on your own.

However, do not buy the PC Port. It's mostly fine if you ignore the "High Quality Graphics" function which sucks ass but all the anime cutscenes that they added in the PS1 port for some reason crash the game on PC. Including the ending one, which happens after the credits roll and fucks you out of NG+. Square will literally never have good PC ports. Just emulate this on like the DS instead, or even just the SNES the DS content isn't that good.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:10 PM   #587
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

//Gotten!
Dragon Quest Heroes II (PS4)
After the goodness of DQ Builders 2 I wanted ta give another DQ spinoff a shot an while I was havin' fun at first, I got stuck at a really early boss an have given up after multiple tries to beat 'em. The options are ta grind in a kind of game that doesn't seem fun to grind or ???.

Two Point Hospital (PS4)
I've already put 13 hours into this an have finished just 3 hospitals @_@ I'm always bad at these kinds of games but its fun an I get really sucked into it! Trying ta beat it!

//Done!
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PS4)
~ Time: 44:39:49
~ Plot/main characters aren't all that great. Graphics/gameplay/musics about the same as VC1. I docked points from the start for replacing the medic with a dog. But overall I had fun playing this. Especially cause it felt alot easier than the original? I didn't need to refer to guides nearly as much. Plus options for grinding are waaaaay better. It was certainly worth playing!

Clubhouse Games: Solitaire (DS)
~ Time: 00:04:08
~ A game within a collection of games. Its Solitaire... played with a stylus. Which works well. No complaints here!

Clubhouse Games: Koi Koi (DS)
~ Time: 00:13:43
~ Same as above except Koi Koi is sometimes maddening lol x.x; I took the knowledge of it I gained from playing Sakura Wars last year a buried the easy mode cpu an I take those kinds of wins!

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)
~ Time: 05:09:00
~ DKCR minus the bosses cause the games boss fights suck super hard!! Which leaves me with the levels. Alot of which a re good! And alot of which left me feeling "this level was great until..." Some levels just dun know when to end an feel the need to ramp things up to annoying in their last bits. On another note I unlocked and played through all the key locked levels, as I was saving my coins in the first playthrough an ended up skipping 'em. Still a good game overall.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
~ Time: 00:23:42
~ I learned how to swap characters and hadn't touched the game in years which made a perfect combo of going back to it for a good old arcade mode run! Looking at the character select screen left me wondering who a good chunk of the characters even are >.>
Old 11-10-2021, 12:19 AM   #588
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

//Done!
Two Point Hospital (PS4)
~ Time: 75:44:12
~ This was a long one that I got real obsessed with! Never managed ta beat Theme Park/Sim City/etc. cause the going always got way to tough. Its different here cause ya got objectives beyond money that're doable. Plus ya can choose to move onto the next level after simply reaching 1 star. All of which made things waaay more doable and fun for me!

Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
~ Time: 36:01:36
~ I freshened up this years playthrough by using the kinda bad fixed camera angle for battles from start to end. Plus randomly deciding at some point to not run from a single battle!

WarioWare Gold (3DS)
~ Time: 00:57:00
~ A quick replay of all the story mode stages sans the cutscenes! Touch is still the worst style for me. Still a real good game!

Mega Man 11 (PS4)
~ Time: 01:55:36
~ A nice casual replay of this good MM game! If only its stages were abit shorter and the music better it'd be an even gooder game.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:04 AM   #589
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

C'mon this threads gotta last through december before a new one can live!! I got lots catching up to do e.e

//Gotten!
Akiba's Trip: Hellbound & Debriefed (PS4)
~ Never played this on the PSP cause it didn't get localized but upon starting it up yeah I could tell this was no remake an instead a upscale. Alot of PSP games are still good an look nice enough to me so w/e!

Tetris Effect (PS4)
~ This was hyped up for awhile as being worth having on its own even though I already have PS4 Tetris action via two Puyo Puyo Tetris games.

//Done!
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)
~ Time: 09:19:47
~ Only took like 10 years to go through this again! Mash X to open grate: the game. I kept track of how many times I had ta do that an it came out to 62. The remains alright. Alil janky, an the same spots I had trouble finding my way around the first time remained trouble, and the near perpetual detective vision can be an eyesore but ya know what, I'd replay it. Maybe in fewer than 10 years next time!

Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale (3DS)
~ Time: 25:16:00
~ First replay of this game! I tried being more thorough on the quests & farming & befreinding the girls this time around an still ended the game only a few hours longer than my first time. Didn't hit 100% or anything but theres lotsa goodness to be had in its nice sub-30 hour rpg! I continue ta like how charming this ones world & characters are btw!

Kirby Canvas Curse (DS)
~ Time: 03:42:00
~ The other touch screen Kirby game! The original even! An its still great! An I'm an idiot for forgetting you can buy health ups until I was at the final boss an struggling super hard against it. But maybe that can also mean I'm not terrible at the game since I made it so far on default health?? >'.')>

Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi (PSP)
~ Time: 01:48:35
~ Went through the game as Saito this time. Short, simple, (easy mode) hack & slash fun! Story leaves alil to be desired if ya haven't played the visual novel an retained memory of its characters & story which I have not x_x

Tetris Effect (PS4)
~ Time: 01:01:16
~ Instead of playing the main mode I went straight to the side modes an went through each of them! Theres like a dozen or so of 'em but alot are just tetris with a time limit. A few have some gimmicks to 'em an they were fun. I dun understand the visual or music choices for this game, an also I had ta jack the visual effects wayyyy down cause they were affecting my ability ta play >.<

Detective Pikachu (3DS)
~ Time: 11:03:33
~ More 3DS replays! This ones about as good as it was the first time around which is to say its still not bad an in a post-movie world its better than that was! The main characters still a nerd an the romance stuffs still forced.

| Beaten!
Tetris Effect (PS4)
> Clear Time: 00:58:27
> Went through the main mode of the game on easy cause I didn't know what to expect an what I got was nothing special. It just Tetris except the speed goes up an down all to the tune of non-Tetrisy music & backgrounds.

Street Fighter V: Champion Edition (PS4)
> Clear Time: 00:18:33
> Its back an the same as ever!! Other than fighting the bland new final character whose name I've forgotten again ^.^;
Old 03-25-2022, 09:29 PM   #590
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

| Snagged!
.hack//G.U. Last Recode -Begins Edition- (NS)
> Oh look, I own this game... again! Got 'em on PS2, PS4 north american, PS4 japanese premium edition, and now this Switch port. The things I'll do an money I'll spend ta extend my .hack collection I tell ya.

| Beaten!
Akiba's Trip: Hellbound & Debriefed (PS4)
> Clear Time: 11:47:33
> This plays kinda clunky but I expected that after having played the sequel an knowing that this was more a port of the PSP game than a remake. That said I had fun with it. More than I did with the sequel on the first playthrough of that! Its a few hours shorter but I am down with that. I liked how easy it is to piss off regular folks an get into fights with 'em all in the name of expanding my clothes and weapons collections! Liked the story more than the sequels but the cast less so. The ending route I went with was clearly the true one btw!!

Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
> Clear Time: 14:49:33
> By the power of NG+ & Easy difficulty I found this much more playable an fun than I did the first time through! An having played it back to back with the original, I found this one controls alot better than I remembered it. The loading time on NPCs is still really bad though. Be they friendly or foes the wait time for people to appear in an areas crazy. While I dun care for her, I took the main girls ending route this time just ta have it done. Did every sidequest this time around though I failed 1 >.<

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games