UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development

Old 04-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
Sneaze
Mrow?

Espeon Custom Moves and Items

So there are quite a number of custom move items, as well as custom items in general that have amassed to FB over the years. Obviously this needs addressed before we can really deal with any sort of events being rolled out. As such I pose the following questions (though feel free to add your own).

1. Should we keep everything that has accrued over the years? Scrap all of it? Scrap some of it?
2. If we do scrap anything, should we reimburse owners of those items/moves or just leave it be?
3. How should custom items and moves be made available? Current suggestions include staff points, as well as being purchasable via coins due to being luxury items, though some discussion has been had on purchase via Pokedollars.
4. To what end should they be made available in upcoming events? One or two related to that event per that event? All of them at once if related to said event (and the chaos that ensues)? No old items for new events, forcing people to rack up points/coins/cash to purchase them?

List of custom items and moves can be found here, for reference.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I'm in favor of keeping all Custom Moves and FB-exclusive items. Maybe rename a few of the Custom Moves, especially the ones that are a bit of a mouthful (for instance, I've had this idea that the newest Custom Move, Frosted Flake Fall, could be renamed Razor Snow- accurate description, less of a mouthful, and it just sounds so damn cool!), and possibly redesign a few of the odder-looking FB-exclusive items. The Bug Ball, for instance, just has a Caterpie antenna sticking out of the top.

As for how to obtain, I'm thinking we should allow them to be bought with both staff points and Coins. Event availability- I'm thinking maybe one or two, MAYBE three per event, keeping the items as relevant to said event as possible. And I am absolutely all for making old items available through events.

Also, Sneaze, that list isn't comprehensive. I once tried to compile a comprehensive list of FB-exclusive items, but came up short, probably by a lot. Custom Moves, on the other hand, that's a whole other swarm of Yanma- I can give a comprehensive list of FB custom moves right here and now;

Gummi Bomb (learned when IQ hits 40; type changes to match user's primary type; fires a sticky Gummi that sticks to the opponent and explodes later on)

Can't Catch Me (user turns into a miniature gingerbread cookie version of itself, making it faster and harder to hit temporarily, but it takes more damage from biting moves in this state)

Firestream (a Fire-type version of Bubble Beam. High chance to burn the target)

Chocolate Magic (user fires a glob of molten chocolate at the opponent. It's sticky, which can restrict the opponent's movement)

Defensive Shield (learned when IQ hits 100; cannot be used consciously- has a chance to be used reflexively, cutting the damage from attacks when it activates)

Voodoo Bugaloo (user sticks a voodoo doll of the opponent with a pin, freezing them in place for a short amount of time, preventing the use of any moves except ones involving the user's eyes)

Brain Freeze (has a delayed effect- causes minor damage to the opponent and may prevent them from using an ordered attack at some point)

Chocolate Bomb (user fires a chocolate heart that explodes on contact. Eating the sugary shrapnel can restore health.)

Copycat (user creates two copies of itself at the cost of half its current health; the copies last for three rounds, are indistinguishable from the original, vanish upon taking a hit, and attack along with the original, albeit at half the strength of the original; shares its name with an official attack, and must be renamed)

Thorns (user fires thorns that embed themselves in the opponent. The thorns cause damage over time, like poisoning or a burn.)

Fatal Attraction (Basically a combination of Toxic and Attract)

Unfinished Symphony (You know how Shadow Panic affects everything on the field other than the user and is a sound-based move? Well, this is like that.)

Fire Shield (basically Baneful Bunker that burns instead of poisons)

Blow-Back (user blows forcefully enough to send an opponent flying, or repel a projectile move)

Frosted Flake Fall (Like Hail, except it's razor-sharp snowflakes that inflict more damage than Hail)

Crossfire (Basically Cross Chop, but the arms are set on fire. If the user isn't immune to burns, it can potentially burn itself with this move.)

Ice Barrier (Same as Fire Shield, except it freezes; currently only learnable by Ice-types, I have previously argued for the removal of this restriction)

Pumpkin Bomb (user plants a pumpkin seed that soon grows a pumpkin. Once picked, the pumpkin becomes a time bomb that explodes after a while; currently exclusive to Pumpkasaur, a non-evolving Bulbasaur variant that was given in a raffle in the last Halloween event)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
myahoo
Soul Badge

Itzatrap once bought, what I think might be, most, if not all, of the custom effect items here. Not sure about the custom hold items, if there's a difference, and I don't think it includes anything that was already given out before that post.
myahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
Sneaze
Mrow?

So, I know the list is incomplete but please stress a little less on that and provide a bit more on the actual discussion of things for now. If need be I'll personally go through the whole of every FB event in recorded history to compile a list, but that's really not the point.

That said, MM's viewpoints on things basically follow my own. Most of the stuff is fine and some may need retweaking but they're all a part of FB history and should be kept.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I always thought the moves were sorta silly but that's neither here nor there.

So waaaaay back when I had discussed with a fellow member (who is now long gone) the idea of a Ball Shop of sorts. I don't remember the specifics of it but it was something like where you could basically alchemy fancy balls from items and make sort of fancy custom Poké Balls. I'm not totally sure how that would work out but it might be neat to customize your balls a little bit. I'm sure seals could be folded into something like this.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:32 AM   #6
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I'm down for keeping custom Moves and items, but moreover I came to ask: Can we make TMs teachable to any 'mon again? It was always one of my favorite aspects of FB and thought it added a lot of creative flavor to RPing.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:53 AM   #7
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
I'm down for keeping custom Moves and items, but moreover I came to ask: Can we make TMs teachable to any 'mon again? It was always one of my favorite aspects of FB and thought it added a lot of creative flavor to RPing.
I too am all for this. Proud though I am with the progress I've made with my Weedle's movepool in spite of the TM restrictions, there are just so many possibilities I'd love to make happen.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

My Charizard has Dark Void.

I'm down for the return to Universal TMs.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #9
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocharizard55 View Post
My Charizard has Dark Void.

I'm down for the return to Universal TMs.
Same with my Qwilfish.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

So I know this is putting the cart before the horse a bit, but I'd like to go ahead and propose a revamp of one particular item.

Quote:

His Heart Pendant & Her Heart Pendant

When given to a male and female Pokemon to hold, these pendants will boost the power of all attacks when these Pokemon cooperate together in battle.

The issue with these items is that they only work when give to a male and a female Pokemon. This means that they cannot be used by genderless Pokemon such as Rotom, nor can it be used by Pokemon with attachments to individuals of the same sex. I propose the His and Her Heart Pendants be changed to the following:

Quote:

Cor Sōlis and Cor Lūnae
("Heart of the Sun" and "Heart of the Moon")

When two Pokemon are given one each the Cor Sōlis and Cor Lūnae to hold, these pendants will boost the power of all attacks when these Pokemon cooperate together in battle.

Last edited by Nerd Violence; 06-27-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Nerd Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #11
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I agree with Tate, down with heterosexuality.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #12
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I'm also all for reworking the His/Her Heart Pendants to remove the gender restriction. We may not need to redesign the items, cool though Tate's sprites are- could be just as simple as renaming them and wiping out the gender restriction part of their effects.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
Sneaze
Mrow?

I am wholeheartedly (ha) for this change. I've put a bit of thought into this next bit on it, though... should there be statements of what specific Pokemon holding the other item works with the other holder, to prevent someone basically putting them on all their squad if they can get ahold of that many, or do we not care and want to allow the freedom for one Pokemon to have a harem of others holding the opposite item?

Old 04-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
EpicSquirtle
Adrift in a sea of dreams

I'm with 134 as well in regards to the pendants. The original versions have always rubbed me the wrong way :/
EpicSquirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #15
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Cart before the horse or not, this is a great idea.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
DOWN WITH MONOGAMYYYYYYYYYYYY

To answer the other questions:
-I don't think there is any need to scrap any of the custom items or TMs. That just seems pointless and unnecessary. We should try to make sure we know what each item is and does, though. Having a complete list is a good idea.
-Custom items should primarily be staff rewards and events imo. We do actually need something special to motivate updators and people to become updators. However, I am still okay with them being considered luxury goods for coins if people prefer that, or both.
-I think we could have a small CAM or CAI contest in which people suggest ideas, but I think we can give the mods agency to create items and moves as they wish honestly. They're in charge of events anyways.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #17
Toyo
hail

Heart of the Sun/Heart of the Moon are adorable names and i love them

Old items and moves should stay, though we should probably put some effort into redesigning and spriting their associated items and rewriting their descriptions. They should stay updator and event only bc updator rewards need to be meaningful. I'd be down with a Ball Shop or even a Custom Shop, where you could do the ball alchemy + create a special move or something for a Pokemon that was super time restricted so we weren't overloading the market with new moves
Toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #18
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

So I know this is putting the cart before the horse a bit, but I'd like to go ahead and propose a revamp of one particular item.

Quote:

His Heart Pendant & Her Heart Pendant

When given to a male and female Pokemon to hold, these pendants will boost the power of all attacks when these Pokemon cooperate together in battle.

The issue with these items is that they only work when give to a male and a female Pokemon. This means that they cannot be used by genderless Pokemon such as Rotom, nor can it be used by Pokemon with attachments to individuals of the same sex. I propose the His and Her Heart Pendants be changed to the following:

Quote:

Cor Sōlis and Cor Lūnae
("Heart of the Sun" and "Heart of the Moon")

When two Pokemon are given one each the Cor Sōlis and Cor Lūnae to hold, these pendants will boost the power of all attacks when these Pokemon cooperate together in battle.

Tate still wants this to be a thing, lol. ;D

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Nerd Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #19
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
I support that. It works for gay couples too.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #20
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
-I think we could have a small CAM or CAI contest in which people suggest ideas, but I think we can give the mods agency to create items and moves as they wish honestly. They're in charge of events anyways.
So this gave me an idea. How do you all feel about holding CAM contests for Custom Z-Moves? One of the appeals of Z Moves/Crystals is the existance of ones that are fully customized for a particular pokemon, such as Extreme Evoboost or Pulverizing Pancake, instead of the more generic ones. I think it'd be interesting to see the creative juices flow when it comes to designing choreographies and moves for one's starter or other teammate. Thoughts?

::FB::WF::
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #21
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
I'd be wholeheartedly down for create-a-move/item/Z-move. Possibly even create-a-mega so Mega Dunsparce can be a thing already?
Old 05-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #22
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
A small thing but just to get it out of the way:

The His/Her Heart Pendants may now work for any two Pokémon as long as the hearts they're wearing are part of the same set. If you want to rename it or recolour it then go and discuss it but for now at least I'm removing the restriction that they have to be held by 1 male and 1 female Pokémon.

EDIT: Oh, but one caveat I'd like to add. Since these were Valentine's Day gifts the two Pokémon holding the items should be in some form of a loving relationship, romantic or platonic. It's not so much mandatory as it is something I'd like to encourage. So if you're planning to use the items be sure to show in your writing that the two Pokémon are lovers of some kind - updater discretion on whether the requirements are fulfilled.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:

Last edited by Ex-Admiral Insane; 05-19-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #23
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

>Custom Z-Moves

The Weezium Z could be a thing at last... Holy crap, yes, this must be a thing.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #24
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to bring back up the notion of renaming some of the Custom Moves. For some of them it might be nicer to give them names that are less of a mouthful, and in one case, it's actually necessary to rename it because there's an official move with the same name. Here's my ideas;

Can't Catch Me > Cookie Crumble

Firestream > Fire Stream

Defensive Shield > Smart Shield

Voodoo Bugaloo > Stun Spell

Copycat > Split Up

Unfinished Symphony > Madness Song

Frosted Flake Fall > Razor Snow

Crossfire > Cross Fire

Ice Barrier > Ice Shield

Any Custom Moves I left off of this have names I think are fine as is, but by no means do I mean to imply that nobody can give suggestions for renaming such moves if they have ideas for them that I might not have thought of.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #25
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

...Er, MM? I don't think Split Up is a good name for it. That's waaaay too close to Spit Up, which is a completely different bag of beans.
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development