UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 02-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Pokémon Sun and Moon General Discussion [Spoiler Warning]

ALL SUN/MOON DISCUSSION MUST REMAIN IN THIS THREAD UNTIL LAUNCH - THANK YOU

Pokemon Sun and Moon have been trademarked, given logos, and listed on a European trademark site, Serebii has confirmed. The games have not been announced or confirmed, or even confirmed to be anything but placeholders. There is no further information at this time. Stay tuned for the Pokemon Nintendo Direct on Friday for potentially more info.

Last edited by deoxys; 08-10-2016 at 07:25 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
That there has been a big Pokemon Direct announcement makes this speculation a lot more likely to be true.

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

:o
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
The direct is tomorrow. However, am interested.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In October 2014, Junichi Masuda was interviewed about the future of Gen 6 and the Pokémon franchise. In the interview, he said something which has been the source of many bitter arguments within the fandom over the past year and a half:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junichi Masuda
If after Black and White we came out with a grey, people would have been expecting that. Same thing with X/Y and having a Z straight afterwards. So we're always just trying to surprise people.
This was the main argument that the anti-Z camp has pointed to for the past sixteen months when saying that we're definitely not getting a Z. And yet despite Masuda's claims, things looked bleak for the anti-Z camp in recent months when CoroCoro and the anime joined forces to start leaking evidence of new Zygarde forms and a new collect-all-the-Zygarde-cells mechanic not present in XY or ORAS. Even the retitled anime, "XY&Z", seemed to strongly point to an upcoming announcement that we'd be getting a Pokémon Z.

And yet no announcement ever came. It's almost March now and Pokémon Z still hasn't been confirmed. Now it seems like Sun and Moon represent the "Gotcha! " moment that Masuda was hinting towards in the 2014 interview.

So what is the nature of the surprise, exactly? What are Pokémon Sun and Moon? Are they:
  1. Gen 7 flagship titles?
  2. Gen 6 sequel titles?
  3. C-c-c-c-COMBO BREAKER titles that, rather than belonging to a "Gen 7" of the original games' evolutionary line, are a new branch forking off from RBY in a different direction to what GSC took us in?
  4. Other?
The kneejerk reaction is to assume that they are Gen 7 titles, but I have to wonder. Masuda said he wanted to surprise us. While it's surprising to not get a Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum this generation, a) it already happened before in Gen 5 and b) it's only a small surprise. Would it really be surprising enough to get Gen 7 games on the 20th anniversary of Pokémon?

I'm actually wondering if maybe, just maybe, Masuda is trying to please BW2 fans while also pleasing Nintendo's stockholders. What if Sun and Moon, while bearing their own unique names, are in fact sequels to X and Y the same as BW2 were for Black and White? By calling them "Sun" and "Moon," you get people to go out there and buy the titles instead of giving them a pass because (for casuals) "I don't really want to start in the middle of the story" or (for Pokémon fans) "I don't really want to spend my money on what is obviously the last installment in the generation; I'd rather save up for the new generation coming out next year!" What happens when you make the sequels the next generation? You get Gold and Silver all over again. Gold and Silver are basically Gen 1.2, but everyone calls them and thinks of them as a bonafide second generation because of all the changes they brought. Two new types, one hundred new creatures, eight new gyms, an entire new region to explore, and more. Breeding, hold items, the list goes on. Tons of people made Gold and Silver their first-ever Pokémon games. Far fewer, I'm willing to bet, made BW2 their first Pokémon games. Maybe this is what Masuda is honing in on: he knows the Pokéfaithful adore sequels like GSC and BW2, but he also knows that true sequels tend to be worse for business than games marketed as stand-alone titles. So what if Sun and Moon ... aren't new region titles? What if they do still take place in Kalos? What if they're home to the new Zygarde gameplay elements? And what if, unlike BW2 and more like GSC, Sun and Moon introduce a hundred or more new Pokémon, a whole new region to explore, new gym leaders, new attacks, new hold items ... What if they're for Kalos what GSC was for Kanto?

Alternatively -- and this is crazy talk! -- what if Sun and Moon are the long-wished-for omnibus titles that contain every single region on one game cartridge? Perhaps Kalos will still be the origin or the final destination (and hence the anime's emphasis on Zygarde and his new forms), but what if the story takes you across the world to all six regions? What if, in celebrating 20 years of Pokémon, we get an omnibus title like the fans have always wanted? The same way that fans flipped out when GSC introduced us to Time Skip Misty and Time Skip Brock, can you even imagine the excitement when we get to see where all 50+ original gym leaders have wound up now in a time-skipped world that takes place years after the events of X and Y?

There's no telling until tomorrow's press announcement what these games will exactly entail.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

Definitely would be shocked if they did the omnibus route, I don't know if we'll ever get that game actually. I like the idea of being an alternate sequel to RBY or being reboots of RBY set in the XYORAS universe, maybe. Or even just what you said in being sequels to XY, but also next gen games.

I would be okay with all of these.

Or maybe they'll jump the shark and set the games 500 years in the past and pull a Far Cry Primal version of Pokemon.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
inb4 Mega Solrock and Mega Lunatone replace legendaries for the game.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Or maybe they'll jump the shark and set the games 500 years in the past and pull a Far Cry Primal version of Pokemon.
Given it's called Sun and Moon, I could see them almost doing the opposite and setting it a few hundred years in the future. Maybe we're talking space colonies. That's if they're even new games.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #9
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Holy shit

The hype i'm getting right now

intense af

All hail moon goddess cresselia
Old 02-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #10
Selena
Aroma Lady

Mega solrock and mega lunatone, yes please.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
phoopes
Double Dragon

I don't even know what to make of this.

The fact that we have two titles (and logos) makes my head spin.

I'm excited.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #12
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

OK, gonna try and organize the chaos going on in my head into coherent thoughts here;

1: I think these aren't like when Nintendo trademarked Pokémon WaterBlue and the like- these trademarks come with logos and everything. I think it's safe to assume Sun and Moon are happening.

2: Talon is quite right- something as simple as Z would be way too predictable for Game Freak's liking, they'd try to surprise us.

3: As far as potential names for X/Y sequels/third version duo thing/whatever go, Sun and Moon would be a lot less confusing than X2/Y2, or XZ/YZ, or something of that sort.

5: I can't see this being Generation VII already, what with how they've been hyping up Zygarde and everything. There's a lot of speculation about a potential Generation VI I/II, along with this alleged leaked list of Pokémon that are supposed to be introduced in Generation 6.5, and at the moment, I'd think that would be more likely at this point. I mean, yeah, new Pokémon mid-generation is something that's never been done before, but until OR/AS, the same could be said for new moves and Abilities mid-generation. New Pokémon mid-generation just seems like the next logical step to me.

6: I just realized I skipped over 4. Oh, well.

7: The colors used in the logos just happen to match up to the colors featured on Zygarde's Complete Forme. This could be a colossal coincidence, but no way to tell either way just yet.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards these being sequels to X/Y, possibly featuring new Pokémon.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #13
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

See, my current thought is gen 7 teaser, but then the direct tomorrow says something like 'Yeah, this is gen 7, but not yet, have Z instead'. Or at least, I hope it is.

Also, new idea if it is gen 7: Set in the future, in space. Smallish solar system, like 5 or 6 planets, two gyms on each, one for the league/victory road and then one for postgame, all-new pokedex because normal mons can't live out there without special technology (which is conveniently finished once you've completed each planet's Dex). Kinda like what they tried with BW, but better because SPAAAAAAAAAACE!

Last edited by Ironthunder; 02-25-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Ironthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #14
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
I feel it's funny we're going with Sun and Moon and not Moon and Sun. PMS is far more memorabe than PSM.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #15
Mercutio
Banned

MEGA SUNFLORA CONFIRMED BRACE FOR IMPACT

*Statement may not be true
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

I think you mean Mega Solrock
Old 02-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #17
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Surely he meant Mega Volcarona.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Although having looked, don't these sort of images tend to have 'version' on them? Like Pokemon X version, Pokemon Y version?
Old 02-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #19
Mercutio
Banned

No I mean Mega Sunflora and Mega Umbreon, the obvious box-mascots for these games.

More seriously, I am struck by the fact that Gamefreak must have some reason for the Ash-Greninja-TOTALLYNOTMEGA-Evolution bollocks and wonder how it will be played up in these new titles.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #20
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Clearly the logo for Pokemon Sun looks like an X and Moon looks kinda like a Y if you squint hard enough.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #21
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
All the hype! Can't wait. It feels too soon to be a GenVII game and too weird to carry the name of an X/Y follow-up.

(I've been trying to find some connection but the best I could find is that; Zygarde is supposed to represent the Nordic dragon/serpent Nidhogg and its supposed arrival heralds Ragnarok/end of days/rebirth/twilight/whatever [Zygarde 100% form]. From what I can find, once that happens, two wolves [Zygarde 10%] devour the personifications of the Sun and Moon, sending the world into darkness. This is the best I can find but it is very thin and Farfetch'd. Ha, Pokémon-pun.)

My personal hope is that this is an omnibus route to celebrate 20 years of Pokémon. Yes! An all-out adventure that'll last a good amount of time. Maybe it won't be on a handheld device. Maybe you can choose where you start. Maybe it's even online! Finally, an online Pokémon MMORPG. *Looks to the sky with hope*

(EDIT: Oh god, the Nordic tree Yggdrasil is an ASH tree. Gamefreak must have been planning this since the beginning!)

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:

Last edited by Ex-Admiral Insane; 02-25-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #22
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post
I feel it's funny we're going with Sun and Moon and not Moon and Sun. PMS is far more memorabe than PSM.
Personally I like the sound of Pokemon S&M ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Old 02-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #23
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

*Lie down*
*Try not to get hyped*
*GET HYPED A LOT*

EEEEEEEEEEE I CAN'T WAIT FOR WHATEVER THIS ENDS UP BEING
THOSE LOGOS ARE SO BEAUTIFUL
I AM FILLED WITH THE DOKIS
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #24
deoxys
Fog Badge

Just had a terrifying thought. What if they announce Sun and Moon tomorrow and follow up the end of the teaser with "Coming exclusively to New 3DS this Fall"
Old 02-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #25
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Deo no...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News