UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #4051
phoopes
Double Dragon

Ah, I gotcha now. It's almost like a tiering system for Pokemon. Interesting idea, though I think it would be hard sometimes to classify where a deck goes if it combines multiple archetypes.

---

In other news:

Quote:
CORE-JP077
Sabaki no Tenbin / Judgment Scales
Trap Normal
You can only activate 1 “Judgment Scales” per turn. (1) If there are more cards on your opponent’s side of the field than you have on your field and in your hand combined: Draw cards from your Deck equal to that difference.
Broken?
Old 04-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #4052
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
lol no. Those activation requirements are absolutely awful.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #4053
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Being a trap stops that card from being outrageous. Had it been a Normal Spell, it would have been obscenely overpowered and possibly limit worthy.

That said, I don't agree with blaze's assessment of the game exactly. Especially since I play on DN's Singles which don't have a side deck. It really depends on how you define power level.

Power level to me is defined by three criteria:

1. How many effects you can use in a turn (or how many you can restrict)
2. Single monster attack/defense points
3. How effective the deck is at countering an opponent's field

Thunder King Rai-Oh versus Prophecy, for example, could in theory stop almost every card in a given hand. So, TKRO is extremely powerful against Prophecy.

Full power Dragon Rulers, by contrast, were capable of at least four-eight effects per turn. Shaddolls using Shaddoll Fusion versus an Extra Deck monster:

1. Shaddoll Fusion (1)
2. Summon Construct, send Shaddoll Squamata and Electromagnetic Turtle (2)
3. Squamata sends Dragon(3), Construct sends Beast(4)
4. Dragon(5) and Beast(6) activate
5. Attack with Construct(7)

This play was basically a +1, since Fusion replaced itself from Beast and Construct stays on the field and more or less guarantees a float.

Stardust Stun is capable of 30 effects+ in a turn, but it isn't nearly as efficient or powerful. My most powerful monster can't run over something with 2900 attack, and I have no outs for a wall that can't be targeted or destroyed. My deck is a stun deck, and like almost all stun decks of yesteryear they kind of suck going 2nd and trying to fight into the field, but because of the 5 card draw rule it's pretty close to an instant loss to go first and let the opponent customize their plan of attack to your field.

You have no idea how many guys just open 5, and just go. Not even set two and go. Just go. So frequently I've become more open to taking the risk of playing into backrow.

Anyway, the decks on singles tend to be decks who already have a strong counter game without needing the side. So, decks with main deck toolboxing, or access to Rank 4 toolboxing, are going to be the top decks. Basically Nekroz, with maybe Mermail providing any real threat.

It makes sense to me why Satellarknights suck. They're a deck that is largely unable to spam a ton of effects, even if they can counter the opponent's field well. They could have three Alphas live and still minus against Nekroz.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #4054
Emi

Figured I might as well share my thoughts about Clash of Rebellion:

Risebell the Summoner is an interesting card. It's a Level 3 Psychic Normal Pendulum monster, which means it can be summoned via Emergency Teleport, and has a decent Pendulum effect, being able to raise the level of 1 card on the field by 1. Good for bridging XYZ levels obviously. The main thing that makes me like it is its scale. I wanna try this out in Symphonic, since it completes a scale with Guitaars, and it can make Lightning Chidori. Who doesn't love Chidori? (The people not playing WIND, that's who.)

Fluffal Mouse is a welcome addition to the deck, due to the fact that it can Special Summon two other Mouse from the deck, which is obviously very good since only Fluffal Dog and Edge Imp Chain have plussing power. I heard four material Tiger or Wolf is dangerous too.

Crystal Rose for Gem-Knights, where it can trigger the effects of Gem-Knight Obsidian and Gem-Knight Lazuli, as well as making the user of Normal Monsters which can clog near unneeded. Now you only have to run 1 Gem-Knight Lapis or 1 Gem-Knight Garnet. Gem-Knight Lady Brilliant Diamond is absolutely broken, being able to summon basically any Gem-Knight Fusion monster from your Extra. That means Seraphinite, making Gemini monsters less of a liability and creating insane plus plays with Gem-Armadillo, or Tourmaline for control, or Topaz for OTKs etc, without having to run their materials. Extremely good. But what's really getting me excited is not her, but Brilliant Fusion. Gem-Knights missed the loss of Future Fusion when Chaos Dragons decided to break it, so Konami gave them Brilliant Fusion. It's the same, except it immediately Special Summons the Gem-Knight fusion and drops its ATK and DEF to 0. Oh, you can get rid of that if you discard a Spell card, like those are hard to get in Gem-Knights. :V

Raid Raptors got Fuzzy Lanius, and extremely good card for them that turns Force Strix into a +1. It's also just an easy "Accelerator" for when you want to go into Blaze Falcon. Really gives the deck more consistency in its plays that Nest didn't, and easy three of.

Entermages are one of the new decks focused around burn damage, and although they aren't necessarily a strong deck right now, they have a ton of potential. I want to find someway of using Trapeze Magician in Shaddolls, for so much stronger OTKs. I think Secret Sect Druid Dru is a Spellcaster. Not sure.

Aromages look like a fun deck to use, and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun learning how to effectively use the deck. Finding the right balance between life point restoring cards and Aromage cards themselves is going to be pretty vital, especially considering you need something either consistent like Solemn Wishes or powerful like Juragedo to work. Dry Wind might just be broken.

Can I express my total love for all the new Infernoid support omg Dekatron we don't lose to Djinn lock omg Void Dream we got a FuFu omg Tierra weren't you just a computer program omggggggggggg

D/D/D Oracle Overlord D'arc is a trash card but pretty much fits perfectly in D/D/Ds, and is basically their new boss monster. Nothing says "Super annoying" like one of the most resilient decks in the game, capable of restoring on average about 4000 LP a turn while toolboxing its extra and graveyard with impunity. Deck is still capable of its +400 plays, especially since COO Abyss Ragnarok is usable. Also amazing. Who cares about halved battle damage.

Wrongful Arrest is the new Mistake. Basically Mistake in Quick-Play spell form. Like do you remember Shared Ride being a thing I'm 100% that wasn't a card you're crazy.

Chicken Race, one of my new favorite cards for being absolutely quirky and I'm going to build a deck around it and its going to be amazing and awesome and in case you haven't noticed I like Chicken Race.

Giant Weasel Explosion is a super interesting card, probably made because Konami realized that Gorz wasn't really good anymore and that we needed a new OTK stopper. I'm not sure how good its going to be, but its worth looking into.

Minerva, Lightsworn Saint is now a Dante for Rank 4 decks. It might just break Lightsworn to be honest, since it can create good advantage and unlike most Lightsworn cards, mills in the Main Phase. Could be a potential issue...in the OCG. It's a World Premiere, rejoice!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #4055
Emi

DN Singles, quite frankly, is not what this model is for. Online simulator play in general actually, since the pressure and desire to win isn't nearly as strong. People don't play Glad Beasts in real life because of investments. When you invest in a deck, you want it to pay off. It creates conditions that are impossible to recreate in online play, and to be quite frank, tournament play is really what Yu-Gi-Oh is balanced around, and there is not much of a reason for a model to deviate from tournament play.

EDIT:

Quote:
Being a trap stops that card from being outrageous. Had it been a Normal Spell, it would have been obscenely overpowered and possibly limit worthy.
It requires your opponent to have more cards on the field than your field AND hand combined. It could have been a spell and been perfectly fine, as you should be pretty in the hole for this card to be even useful. It counts itself, which is an issue.

Last edited by Emi; 04-24-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #4056
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
It requires your opponent to have more cards on the field than your field AND hand combined. It could have been a spell and been perfectly fine, as you should be pretty in the hole for this card to be even useful. It counts itself, which is an issue.
If it were a spell, decks that minus themselves heavily either in the form of heavy card-intensive monster summons (like say, Heraldics) or grave dumpers like the Dragon Rulers or Infernoids could get massive advantage with this card.

We've seen this same situation with Excition Knight, who by the process of summoning him often sets the condition to blow up the field. As a spell, I think this one is slightly more situational, with a more modest plus. But it's still massive, massive draw power for decks that are particularly card intensive.

...but being a trap throws out the baby with the bathwater.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #4057
Sneaze
Mrow?

I actually see this as a good side card for decks that can quickly find themselves blowing through their hand, in that it'll be good for the fact that a lot of decks right now have the ability to suddenly swarm the field.

That said it still isn't great and if it was a quick spell it'd be sooooooo much better.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 PM   #4058
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
If it were a spell, decks that minus themselves heavily either in the form of heavy card-intensive monster summons (like say, Heraldics) or grave dumpers like the Dragon Rulers or Infernoids could get massive advantage with this card.

We've seen this same situation with Excition Knight, who by the process of summoning him often sets the condition to blow up the field. As a spell, I think this one is slightly more situational, with a more modest plus. But it's still massive, massive draw power for decks that are particularly card intensive.

...but being a trap throws out the baby with the bathwater.
Exciton Knight is not a good comparison, at all, because of the fact that:

A) His activation requirements are different and less stringent. While Scales require you to less cards than your opponent's field, Exciton extends that to your opponent's field and hand, which is a much easier requirement to fill.

B) It destroys your opponent's card, which is a much better result. People overestimate the power of drawing. It's random, what you get may help you but it also may not help you at all, whereas resolving Exciton Knight put you ahead by blowing away your opponent's field.

If you are intentionally minusing yourself to draws cards (like say banishing Infernoids from your hand) to make this live, it generally won't be useful. Even as a Spell.

(Also as a side note, Heraldics don't use a lot of advantage to make summons. Between Leo, Aberconway, Unicore, and the now searchable Advanced Heraldry Arts, its very good. They also have Plain-Coat which is a double foolish. It's really about as wrong to say they use a ton of advantage to make summons as Raid Raptors, who are very similar but disadvantaged by requiring the Battle Phase to gain advantage.)

EDIT: Also on the Exciton front, he's just as potent if you are down by one card as if you are down by fifteen. This isn't the case with Scales.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:09 AM   #4059
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

So I turned on the TV just now and Yugioh Zexal is on, and the duelists are riding around somewhere on... something. So I watched for another few moments and they're now playing card games on... Donkey Kong minecarts?

This is the only bit of Zexal I've seen, other than an ad spot for an episode where a dog leaps out at the protagonist and says "We need to have a duel." Is this series just... balls out insane?

Edit: Is this like... Hunger Games duel monsters in Donkey Kong carts? If so... I may need to watch this series.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #4060
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

And there's a hologram ghost floating around while the protagonist gets punched in the face with an extend-y fist that's out of Krusty. And there's a catgirl who is mad that two other watchers are talking about fish. What is happening?
Old 04-25-2015, 12:18 AM   #4061
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Also everyone has an eye covered/decorated with makeup, while the other has... a DBZ scouter?
Old 04-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #4062
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

"What is his objective? Victory, or friendship?"

Yep, it's Yugioh all right.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:35 AM   #4063
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Oh god, the cheering section with the catgirl... Is "Feeling the flow" his catch phrase?
Old 04-25-2015, 12:37 AM   #4064
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

"I have to fight Vetrix to get to heart!" Is this like... Captain Planet?

"If I can get Vetrix there I can beat him with my dad." She might've said deck, but it definitely sounded like she's going to get her dad to beat him up and take his cards.

And that's the end! I... have no idea what I just watched, but I kind of want to see it again?
Old 04-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #4065
Emi

Yeah that's pretty much ZeXal. What it misses out on, having a good protagonist, it makes up with having a really pretty good antagonist and off the wall duels (Rank 13 monsters!).

If you want to watch something better, Arc-V is really quite good. It's a little slow in the beginning but has turned out to really be quite excellent.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #4066
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

BTH v. Pendulum? Torrential is pretty bad too.

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #4067
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

looooool

This Hieratic player made me go first, and luckily I managed to loop but I milled Soul Charge and BTH, and ended up with just a sole Effect Veiler as my one disruption card. Three dead MST's.

But it worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Network
Dopple: eff
YRPOtaku169: Are you making Quasar?
Dopple: eff tatsu
YRPOtaku169: Are you making Quasar?
Dopple: eff jet
YRPOtaku169: I just want to know if I should just stop us going through the motions and go ahead and surrender.
YRPOtaku169: OK.
YRPOtaku169: So did you have fun dumping half of your deck?
YRPOtaku169: And half of your Extra Deck?
YRPOtaku169: Because that was honestly kind boring.
YRPOtaku169: *kinda
YRPOtaku169: Are you going to negate this, or should I just ask you to stop me when you want to interrupt my plays with a cookie-cutter staple Trap?
Dopple: ok
YRPOtaku169: Let me guess.
YRPOtaku169: Bottomless.
Dopple: no please play faster
Dopple: my mom is calling for dinner
YRPOtaku169: Well, then maybe you shouldn't have done a Rated match.
YRPOtaku169: And played a deck that took 5 minutes to do its first turn.
YRPOtaku169: Effect Tefnuit
YRPOtaku169: Really?
YRPOtaku169: You're really going to do this?
YRPOtaku169: Fine.
YRPOtaku169: Do you enjoy making other people hate you?
Dopple: no I have lots of friends
Dopple: I am not hated
YRPOtaku169: Well, guess what.
YRPOtaku169: You are now.
YRPOtaku169: I came up with an idea that is actually original, and you don't even have the decency to stop the play from beginning.
YRPOtaku169: Noooo...
YRPOtaku169: You have to use a degenerate hand trap, then take away my only line of defense.
YRPOtaku169: So I look like an idiot.
YRPOtaku169: Are you enjoying this game?
YRPOtaku169: Is using a deck without any originality fun for you/
Dopple: yes
YRPOtaku169 admitted defeat
Dopple: gg
YRPOtaku169 has left the duel
OVERTIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Network
Dopple: brb I don't run quasar because it's poop
Dopple: its funny that you say you would give up if I ran quasar when I had three backrows which is worse for hieratics
YRPOtaku169: Oh, we're using big, naughty words like "poop", now?
YRPOtaku169: Go eat your f**king dinner.
Dopple: kay
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #4068
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You ask why he might scoop. The reason is he'd banish close to his whole deck, and probably summon a useless Lightsworn monster who would just deck him out further.

I was lucky guessing right on his Reasoning, though.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #4069
Emi

>implying Ultimaya Hieratics is original
>implying Scrap-Iron Scarecrow works with Ultimaya

Also did you call 1? He could have pretty quickly gotten to Dekatron and that might have been an issue.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #4070
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I called four, and he milled BTH and then Lyla.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #4071
Emi

He's not playing a good Infernoid deck then, because there isn't much reason to run Lyla anymore.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #4072
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I've played nearly 5000 games since DN implemented the randomizer for assigning duelists, and I can say with certainty that Stardust Stun across various formats has been more or less a .500 deck within Singles.

I've managed to have a +70 to +90 win differential across each format, which is statistically significant (and translates to something between 1080-1140 rating) but when you look at the total number of games, the deck is still basically .500.

Intuition tells me that .500 is not bad against all YGO decks in Advanced, but it's probably a losing record versus meta. True meta decks should have 90%+ win against anything less than the mirror, and a mirror match should based on strategies and side. T0 decks should have nearly 100% win against everything except mirror, and be .500 against the mirror.

I've played against older versions of my deck, starting from the meta nuke, and I can say it's a lot more powerful. So like everything else, it's been creeped. But not creeped enough to compete with the current T1.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #4073
phoopes
Double Dragon

I think I just pulled off one of the most nuts combos I've ever done. Obviously I had a lot of cards and pulling off something as huge as this isn't consistent but man it was cool.

Spoiler: show

1. Flip over Shaddoll Beast, draw 2 and send Elemental HERO Shadow Mist to Grave. Add Elemental HERO Blazeman to hand via Shadow Mist's eff.
2. Normal Summon Blazeman, activate his effect to dump another Shadow Mist to the grave and make Blazeman a Dark type.
3. Mask Change II into Anki. Attack, destroy his monster and add Mask Change.
4. Mask Change into another Anki. Attack, destroy his monster, add Form Change.
5. Form Change to Dian, attack directly.
6. Form Change to Anki, attack directly.
7. Mask Change to Dark Law, attack directly.
8. Attack directly with Shaddoll Beast (overkill).
9. El Shaddoll Fusion into Winda, attack directly (more overkill).

So yes Emi, despite your advice I'm trying to run Star Seraph Shaddoll-HEROs. Even though just plain old Star Seraph Shaddolls are more meta I've put a few hours into this deck so I'm attached to it, haha. And while a combo to the extent of the above is certainly rare I've found a build that seems to be pretty consistent. My biggest problem is not having the room to run MST, which would be really helpful because the deck loses to multiple backrow disruptions. My only out right now is Masked HERO Acid, but he's not always a guarantee to get out.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #4074
Emi

The loss of MST shouldn't be a big deal considering that Nekroz is so prevalent.

You can always side it.

Also ITS A REVOLVING DOOR OF MASKED HEROS
Old 04-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #4075
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

So Releaser-Clausos-Cycle is way too splashable and having now tried it myself I'm even more certain Releaser needs the banhammer. Haven't even tried it with Tellar which I'm pretty sure can break it the most since they're Rk4 and run RotA.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment