UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 10-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Mewtwo NYCC/AF 2010

I am going on Friday, gotta wake up early to get there before 7AM and grab a ticket for autographs from Minori Chihara and possibly Stan Lee.

Here are the celebrity autographs I want to get:

--FRIDAY--

Seth Green – Friday 3:00-4:30PM – Private Room 1C02
(Mass Effect 1 & 2)
Frank Miller - Friday 4:00-5:00PM - Booth 2023 (Dark Horse) **
(Dark Knight)
Minori Chihara - Friday 4:30-5:30PM - Private Room 1C01
(Haruhi Suzumiya DVD)

--SATURDAY--

Doc Hammer & Jackson Publick - Saturday 11AM-12PM - Private Room 1C01
(Venture Bros. Season 1 &2 [probably 3])
Crispin Freeman - Saturday 5:00-6:00PM - Booth 1605 (Bandai) **
(Haruhi Suzumiya DVD)
Morena Baccarin - Saturday 6:30-7:30PM - Private Room 1C05
(Firefly/Serenity DVD)
Tricia Helfer - Saturday XX:00-XX:00? - Pix Booth ($??) **
(Mass Effect 2)

--SUNDAY--

Bruce Campbell - Sunday 11AM-12PM - Autograph Alley Table 3 ($40) **
(Bubba Ho Tep/My Name is Bruce)

The ** indicate I might skip it for whatever reason.

Aside from this, I will probably try to check out Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and AMC's Walking Dead preview on Sunday and whatever else looks good.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You'd skip Bruce Campbell but not skip some of these others? Brisco County, Jr., man!

Have fun.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Loki

Yeah, he has a $40 price tag for his signature, which is the only reason I might skip him.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh, well in that case ... I didn't realize that they charged for signatures. I thought most signings were "free but first come, first serve" and that that was how Fate determined who got the signatures and who didn't. I had no clue that it had turned into a contest between the wealthy and the hard-pressed super-fans. $40 per signature? Jeez.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Loki

I've been told Patrick Steward charges $100/signature. They're also very personalized to prevent people from selling the signature (a common practice).

Charging for signatures is not unheard of, but it does suck when you're tight on money.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

$100? Fuck that. I may like the characters he's played, but the man is largely responsible for the dune buggy scene in Star Trek X. And while that film would have been a horrendous trainwreck even without the scene, with the scene it's elevated to the next threshold of awful.

Man, that's crazy. That'd be like if J.K. Rowling charged $100 per signature. I'd be like, "Lady, I could buy four, five, maybe even six of your seven books for that money. And actually get something out of them!! Which is something I can't do with your signature!"

Well, best of luck!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I'm not going. ;.;
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
Loki

:/

That sucks. By the way, I put this thread up to hopefully post pictures of whichever celebrity I end up meeting. Or possibly just me and Kuno lol.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
Loki

Togepi Day 1 Report

I know how all of you have been dying to hear about my awesome adventures at NY Comic Con 2010 so here was how my day went:

Got up at like 3AM, ate a hot breakfast, left the house around 4:15AM. Got on the bus and transferred to the subway and then took another transfer, then walked a bit. Got to the Javit Center on 6:15AM, 45 minutes early. There's a good... 80 - 100 people ahead of me. About 10 minutes later, the line had almost doubled behind me. Seems I got there at a good time because right around 7AM, the line was pretty absurd.

It's about 7:05AM and I get the ticket. FUCK YEAH. Then I got my entry badge, then went out for a second breakfast lol. I wandered around Manhattan for a bit looking for my bank, instead I found like 10 Chase banks. Seriously, there was two on the same block, one on each end with only about three shops in between. ANYWAY...

I get back inside about 10:20AM and get on line to get in. It's quite dumb considering the convention didn't start until 1:30PM. Met some cool people while on the line. Got some cosplay photos.

Eventually it hits 1:30 and we go in, I wander around the shops area and grab a T-Shit I needed for my own cosplay! The AMAZING BAG-MAN!

(The photo looks a bit odd cuz of how my eyes appear through my glasses and the holes in the bag.)

Only about 10 people in the whole Con recognized me today, but it was fun.

I left for lunch, then I went back in and got on line for the Seth Green's autograph. As I was waiting on line, Stan Lee stopped by to meet Seth Green! I tried to grab a photo of the two, but Stan Lee has what looked like at least 1 guard with him and a crowd of other people trying to meet him. Add the guys from Robot Chicken and it was basically pandemonium.

Finally it's my turn to get his signature.

Here's my cool stuff!

Right across the hall from the Seth Green line was the Minori Chihara line, so it was an easy 5 minute walk. The line wasn't that long and I had a ticket, which ensured entry and signature. I also stole a photo, which apparently I wasn't supposed to do. The staff outside said it was okay, but her assistant told me AFTERWARDS it wasn't cool. What's done is done.

SWEET!

Then I wandered around a bit until I went over to Anime Parliament, an event I always try to go attend when it is at a Con I am in. Basically the head of the panel keeps a record of silly and amusing trials the audience calls to his attention, which is then voted upon how something should be resolved. This time it was great.

Someone started it off with Ash's deadbeat dad! One person claimed Professor Oak was his dad (an old Poketopia joke), someone else claimed it was Giovanni (which is more correctly Gold/Silver's rival), and someone else said it was Mr. Mime LOL. They claimed because his father was never around, Ash's mom was forced to kick him out at a young age to go "adventuring" instead of staying home and finishing High School and College to get his degree and become a respectable professor like Gary ended up.

The next person claimed Yugi from YuGiOh was a cheater at life (which is totally true) and that he was stealing the glory from Yami Yugi and should be punished. Instead, the parliament concluded that EVERYONE in the series was a cheater, and if you didn't cheat enough, it was your own fault ROFL. Ultimately Yugi got off and Mia was declared the worst cheater and should get lessons from someone else.

The last one was the great finisher. It claimed that Bowser was not a evil conqueror but a freedom fighter. Princess Peach was a racist fascist supremacist who only liked the MUshroom people and got herself Mario and Luigi as dead assassins to perform genocide on Goombas, Koopa Troopas, and the various other people of the Mushroom Kingdom. Bowser was trying to save his people and free them from slavery, as proven by the various Mario Kart, Mario RPGs, and Mario Parties where those floating guys that drop those spiked dudes are given the mundane jobs of camera men and signal light operators while Mushroom people did nothing. In addition, he claimed all the traps in the various castles were originally there because Princess Peach put them there, thus further proving her tyrannic ways. Also, Mario would steal coins hidden and spread out throughout the kingdom, essentially the money the poor peasant civilians had been gathering up. Bowser was merely trying to bring about a proper revolution to overthrow Princess Peach and save the people. Ultimately the courts voted that he be named a hero instead of villain and that Birdo should be the new ruler.

Now I left for dinner and then came back for the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, which I have to say was GREAT. It was a bit slow, but they did have two hours to fill, so it was expected. I won't give away any spoilers, but Minori Chihara said she cried while watching the movie in theaters.

And I'll end off with Haruhi cosplayers there.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:06 AM   #10
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

*envies Minori Chihara's signature* Gr, I wish I could've gone...

By the way, Loki, I read that Animé Boston is one of the cons you attend. Are you planning on going next year? It'd be cool if both you and Kuno could come and the three of us could still meet up. =.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #11
Loki

I've been to Otakon in Baltimore, Anime Boston, and Anime USA in Arlington, VA.

I am unfortunately between jobs at the moment and so it makes it hard to do cons out of state. And even if I did the travel each day, it is a 4 hour bus ride that isn't very fun. I would like to go, but at the moment it is a bit unlikely. I have some fond memories of Anime Boston and would love to go. So at the moment it is too early to say.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Sounds like you had a fun time. LOL at the Chihara Minori photo shoot incident. Tell me, though: why did you have Seth Green sign your Mass Effect games? Was he in them? O_o
Old 10-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
Cyprus
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Cyprus
I can't resist captioning some of these photos in my head...

Stan Lee photo: "They're all -Chase- banks!"
Seth Green photo: *staring at someone with both lust and murder in his eyes*

I'm kinda confused why you chose Mass Effect as well... great game, but why have Seth Green sign it?
Cyprus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
Loki

Seth Green was in Mass Effect.

THE MYSTERY HAS BEEN SOLVED!!!

Day two post after I upload photos.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #15
Loki

Day 2 Report

So we start with Kuno meeting me. We take the LIRR to Penn Station, we missed the 9AM train and took the 10AM train, reaching the Jacob Javit at about 10:30AM. Mass confusion about what needed to be done to get in and do stuff.

Anyway, eventually I got in and got on line for the Venture Brother's autograph line. Unfortunately due to the confusion of everything, I'm like really far back on the line and they tell a good number of us that they have to leave by noon and might not make us. I decide to wait, but it hits noon and there were a good number of people ahead of me with tickets and even more without, so I decided to go. Grabbed a photo while on line though.

On my way to the main area, I ran into some Left4Dead2 cosplayers, so they posed a hunter attack.

Then I found pedobear. He was doing some weird stuff. He pulled his arm out of his sleeve and stuck it down his pants. It almost made him look like he was greasing his rod, but someone ran up to him and asked, "Whoa what are you doing there man?" and apparently he had an inside pocket and can't find his con badge. LOL. Suuuuuuure.

Once inside I found a bunch of more cosplayers and Kuno found some of his internet friends. blah blah blah. More cosplay photos.

We went out for lunch and on the way back, we found Boba Fett on a accordion playing the Tetris theme. Win Very yes? Indeed.

Then we ran into more cosplayers. High School of the Dead had their own booth that allowed fans to take some photo shoots with some zombies. Of coarse I take the picture of the one on her food break. I guess they like more than just brains. Like Chinese food.

More cosplay.

Then I ran into a Spider-man who recognized me, so we posed together. I know I look dumb, but I'm blind to how we look in the photo with the bag, so fuck off.

Odd sexy cosplayer incoming.

L4D1's Zoey, voted most wanted item in the game if you were the last man on Earth.

Then we played the new Golden Eye remake for Wii demo. I kicked Kuno and his friend's asses! I have the Oddjob Cheater Shirt to prove it! It played rather well and was quite fun.

NOTE: This is not the image of us playing. I was too busy PWNing to take photos :p

After this I went off to hunt another signature. This one being the one that belongs to the beautiful Morena Baccarin of Firefly fame. I love Firefly, one of my favorite series of all time. It was in truth a V series autograph signing, but I didn't care, I want Morena Baccarin's signature. Despite being a 6:30PM signing, there was already a long line at about 4:50PM (I was about 94th in line). Long line was long. I think it hit almost 300 people. The line was so long, we had to be moved out of the hallway and into the giant room used for lining us up lol. Since there were so many people, they had a lot of restrictions to reduce time consumption and hopefully get to as many of us as possible. No photos She is really beautiful too. My TV and computers do her no justice. In fact, she was so pretty, a woman on the line said, "Wow, she is super pretty. I'm totally jealous." And she wasn't a lesbian because her husband was with her on the line.

After this I had basically got all my missions accomplished. We all met up again and went to a Zombie panel. It was somewhat interesting but they quickly went to fan questions and it lost a lot of appeal. Then I got home. Much earlier than yesterday lol.

Also ran into a Hit Girl.

All in all, Saturday had a lot more fun cosplayers, but was way crowded. Wooping friends at the new Golden Eye and meeting Ms. Baccarin's were great. Missing Venture Brother's signature was a bit of a sad point. And the crowds showed the con was rather disorganized, but from what I was told, the NYAF was extremely small and combining it with Comic Con was likely the only way to keep it around economically.

More cosplay photos for you guys:

Also, for Kuno, so I don't have to email it to him:
Old 10-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
What's that costume? I am a Level 2 in Cosplay so I think I could recognize a few, but I can't ping yours. :O
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #17
Loki

Day 1 report has a link to who I was dressed as.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Loki, did you know the guy with the scarf behind those Haruhi characters is cosplaying Kenji from Katawa Shoujou? Achtung, Talon!

Very funny.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That's so weird. Why the hell would Seth Green of all people be in a military KotOR? I guess I could -maybe- see him in a Star Wars game, but even then: he plays non-serious characters, and these games tend to be filled with nothing but serious characters.

LOL @ the Saber cosplay because it brings up a very interesting observation: that anime characters' heads are disproportionately large to their bodies as compared with us and our own. The shape of that cosplayer's dress looks spot on. But! It's like 1.5x too large for her, and so it looks like she's suffering from shrunken head syndrome. Something those of you who cosplay should pay attention to!

Accordion-playing Boba Fett was linked to by Namek in the Going to Hell thread a week ago, so your thunder's been stolen on that front. Still: did you ask him to play anything? Did you record anything of his playing?

Sorry to hear about the late start to the day causing you to miss out on some signatures. Better luck today or next year!

Ugh, Pedobear. >_> Ain't nothin' funny about that meme. Though LOL at the scene you described! "Sure, Pedobear. Sure. "

That Carnage cosplay is impressive but looks like it be a major hindrance to the guy if/while he tried to shop. Too many pokey plastic bits coming out of the hands/arms.

Lots of Fetts. Lots of Zombies.

You should have asked Spidey, "How do I shot web?" Did you?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #20
Cyprus
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Also, for Kuno, so I don't have to email it to him:
Aww man, I'm jealous, SMBC! They should really bring their cardboard robot with them for photos, haha.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #21
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
That's so weird. Why the hell would Seth Green of all people be in a military KotOR? I guess I could -maybe- see him in a Star Wars game, but even then: he plays non-serious characters, and these games tend to be filled with nothing but serious characters.
Clearly you have not played Mass Effect. Watch this.

Quote:
Accordion-playing Boba Fett was linked to by Namek in the Going to Hell thread a week ago, so your thunder's been stolen on that front.[...]
I'm sorry I saw him real life compared to an internet link.

Quote:
That Carnage cosplay is impressive but looks like it be a major hindrance to the guy if/while he tried to shop. Too many pokey plastic bits coming out of the hands/arms.
They were not plastic. They were polyester, but yeah he actually had a lot of trouble with his tentacles. Before taking a pose, he bent down to fix his leggings and his forearm tentacle hooked around one on his calf and he had to play around with them for a bit.

Quote:
You should have asked Spidey, "How do I shot web?" Did you?
What awful costume Spidey wouldn't?
Old 10-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I see. "Joker," huh? Fitting. Totally wouldn't have known it was Seth Green, though. Even when I'm listening for his voice, only a few bits and pieces sound like Seth Green to me.

LOL, I got owned on Accordion Fett.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #23
Loki

Day 3 report

I decided to be quite lazy this day. I left the house quite late with only the Walking Dead preview as the point of interest. Everything else was for fun.

Not surprisingly, there wasn't much. So I took pictures of whoever I thought was worth taking a picture of, which was two people lol.

He actually blocked off a whole hallway with his awesomeness.

Deadpool is always cool.

I went on line for the Walking Dead preview, which was quite annoying since crowds and crowds of people cut us as they moved the line into someplace more suitable for the crowd. I was easily in one of the first 100-200 people there, but as they moved the line, a big group walked in and people cut left and right, ultimately I ended up in the... Idunno... 500th area. When they finally let us in, I ended up in an awful seat in the balcony area and couldn't take any cool photos. They showed up two clips from the show, but are unique to the show, but they say it had the original author of the series (who was there) approve of the additions. Everything they showed us was great. Hopefully the series will be awesome. It premieres Oct. 31st at 10PM on AMC channel. Check it out!

And a special treat for everyone at UPNetwork. Requested by me.
BORKED
Old 10-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
LOL, I got owned on Accordion Fett.
Now I REALLY got owned on Accordian Fett! By Accordian Fett! Ouch! Touché!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #25
Cyprus
Cascade Badge

That was truly incredible. I have no other words to describe it. Laughing so hard right now. XD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime