UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 10-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

UPN Answerman Session #4: Your Dream Job in the Anime Industry?

Hey, all. It's been a long time since we've done this. But it was so much fun before, so I thought we'd give it another go! OH! [/Ushio]

Today's question: Would you ever like to pursue a career in the anime industry? If you would, in what capacity? As an artist, writer, producer, actor, musician? Or none at all?

================================================
Previous threads:
UPN Answerman Session #1: Most Deserved Sequel?
UPN Answerman Session #2: Most Disappointing Ending?
UPN Answerman Session #3: When Do You Drop?

Last edited by Talon87; 10-01-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In real life, I really do want to become a good enough artist that I can draw my own pictures. Most of these are either stand-alone fanart ideas or else are erodoujinshi ideas, but I've considered trying my hand at manga ŕ la Sakuraba Koharu.

In my imagination only, as it's only been something I've dreamed about but haven't taken any real steps towards achieving, I would like to be a writer.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The only job I'd actually be qualified for is a writer. Musicality and artistry require not just talent, but loads of proper training, and even then some creations are going to be better than others (less true for art, which can be very consistent). I've been a musician for a long, long time, but not a composer. It's a whole 'nother realm of ability and training beyond my abilities.

But what I'd want to do is direct, or produce at least. Directors are to nature what writers are to scientists: the directors do something, and the writers come up with explanations that make it work. Most of the beefs I've had with certain anime have probably been do to direction - many anime present good ideas or build up interesting, original worlds yet succumb to cliches or bonehead plot developments, or even flaws in basic characterization. Even with a great team, with a big budget, can produce a less-than-stellar anime when the director isn't on top of his game (Geass, anyone?). I'd bring to the table the knowledge of all of the stuff I didn't like in the anime I've seen...and when I direct, I'd simply not repeat those mistakes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Cyprus
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Cyprus
One of my close real life friends has aspired to become a manga artist, going so far as to teach himself how to draw despite having no initial talent (read: without drawing much as a kid or taking classes in school). He's even written a book (and working on a second) that details what he hopes will be a manga one day. He's been taking Japanese for years now, and finally got to go to Japan this past year as a foreign exchange student. That experience pretty much sealed it for him. I still have quite a ways to go as far as learning the language and visiting, but I'd really like to help him market his book/manga once he gets to that point.

I was on the radio for a few years, and loved every minute of it. People always tell me (even now, as a cashier, it's weird) that I have a great voice for radio. Because of that, I've had some interest in becoming a voice actor. Trouble is, I have no experience acting. And honestly, no desire to go up onto a stage. I love working with other people, but having a crowd in front of me and no script in my hand makes me choke. Broadcasting gave me -a lot- of confidence speaking with other people, and even small groups because I tricked my mind into thinking it was talking in front of a microphone, where I can't see my audience and I can completely be myself. A crowd makes this illusion in my mind hard to maintain. Has anyone heard of a voice actor/actress that never acted on stage before becoming voice talent, or is that going to be a hurdle I just have to overcome to pursue something like this?
Cyprus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Ignoring the fact that I'm American, I wouldn't want to be involved in the anime industry. I'm speaking out of ignorance, but I imagine that working with anime so much would make me sick of it. That would basically kill one of my hobbies.

If I had to choose though, I guess I'd follow the bandwagon and say writer.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Is a cel thief a job I can apply for in the anime industry? I am, I would be going into the building and using their items to make money....
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I had a dream of becoming a manga artist, but it'll never happen, considering I can't finish any of my drawings. ^^;
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
Has anyone heard of a voice actor/actress that never acted on stage before becoming voice talent, or is that going to be a hurdle I just have to overcome to pursue something like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_LaFontaine

This man was a legend, the "Voice of God". And I remember seeing that GEICO commercial, hearing his voice, and going "oh shit!" (I never curse, online or in real life, so that was a really, really exceptional incident)! From that day on, I NEVER forgot his name.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #9
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Oh snap, I love that guy's voice. It freaked me out when I saw his face in that Mega Millions commercial.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime