Luv is Over

*blood-curdling scream*
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wow. Talk about some uncannily bad timing. I ... I'm sorry to hear that, Doppel, but at the same time, I guess I should be happy to hear it? ^^; I mean, look at it this way: at least you might, maybe, maaaaaybe have the opportunity to purchase a legal copy of the game with Japanese audio and English text? Wouldn't that be nice? ^^;;;;;;;

Yeah. Wow.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

*pats Dopple* There, there.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Wow. Talk about some uncannily bad timing. I ... I'm sorry to hear that, Doppel, but at the same time, I guess I should be happy to hear it? ^^; I mean, look at it this way: at least you might, maybe, maaaaaybe have the opportunity to purchase a legal copy of the game with Japanese audio and English text? Wouldn't that be nice? ^^;;;;;;;
Were that the case, riots and firestorms would not be ravaging international waters throughout the length and breadth of the tubes right now.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting an English copy, and buying it. I vowed to do that for Ever17 and still intend to do it.

But the major problem is...these releases aren't going to ever come out. Remember Chaos;Head, the game I played in 2008 that had a complete patch in six months, was licensed shortly after that and...hasn't been seen in three years? None of the JAST USA-Nitro+ releases ever got official English releases, because of software problems.

When Nitro+ signed its contract with JAST, they wanted to upgrade all older-engine VNs (Demonbane, Saya no Uta, Chaos;Head) to their brand-new engine that wasn't compatible with English text. Nitro+ didn't want to go through the effort of reprogramming the whole engine to support English, and so the release is at an impasse...what ended up happening was JAST put responsibility for the translation in Nitro+ hands, and Nitro+ is primarily concerned with the JP market first. Even with a complete English translation for Chaos;Head and SnU. Imagine the problem with Demonbane, which hadn't even been hacked by the time of that agreement!

What lxrec is effectively doing is the same. age's game engine is legendary for being "unhackable", and extremely difficult to reverse engineer. The cutscenes can't be edited at all it seems, and that's the biggest frustration for amaterasu.

But from here, their logic breaks. lxrec wants to donate his translation, free of charge, to age and wants them to make an official English release for Muv-Luv and Alternative since they have the power to edit stuff like the cutscenes. He doesn't want to make money from this. Supposedly he's not doing it for recognition either (many disagree, including me). He wants "the best quality possible" and so is more willing to make everyone wait rather than release something to appease the people who've already waited so long.

I'm sorry, this shit is just totally unacceptable. It makes me feel utterly powerless and pissed off. I've half a mind to start up my own god damn visual novel company just so I can mitigate this pandemonium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Yeah. Wow.
I'm half-way through my Muv-Luv topic, so Alternative translation or not, I'm still going to try and pitch it in spite of what amaterasu does.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime