UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 02-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #4551
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I really struggle to believe that they don't suspect Pokémon just to keep their preferred playstyle in favor.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:02 PM   #4552
Snorby
Snackin'

At least they've admitted Pheromosa is an S Rank mon finally instead of throwing it down to fucking A-.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #4553
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I have been doing some light investigation over the last 48 hours about the state of VGC 2017, and in so doing I have come to discover:
  1. Nugget Bridge has basically died
  2. a new website named Trainer Tower seems poised to fill the void
I thought I would share the resource for my fellow VGC fans. Trainer Tower is the name of the site, and for right now it seems to be a roughly 50-50 mix of editorialized interviews of the big name players and of result reports of the various Regionals and other sanctioned tournaments around the world.

It looks like Nationals this year is to return to good ol' Indianapolis, Indiana. I'm stoked for that, and I might make a (very) late run bid to attend. We'll see.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #4554
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorby View Post
At least they've admitted Pheromosa is an S Rank mon finally instead of throwing it down to fucking A-.
B-but it's so fragile! You can kill it easily! It's not a good sweeper because you can just one shot it with anyone!!!!!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #4555
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
In regards with Trainer Tower. I've been referring to that site for a while now and can attest to how useful it is. Worthy of note for those who regularly use damage calcs is that its damage calculator is already set with the vgc 2017 metagane in mind, which is rather convenient for the sake of efficiency.

In regards with the balancing of the game... it is to my understanding that the game's balanced arouned doubles and that they basically gave up on trying for singles? I'm not really surprised to find the likes of Pheromosa dominating the OU singles front and nor do I really care since it is still very manageable in doubles. For that matter, I find none of the UB's are really that ridiculous under that format at all. The same kinda deal applied with plenty of the megas back in XY/ORAS. I mean, you would use them because they were undeniably good... but vgc is also the kind of format that makes running a friggin Pachirisu viable at the same time.

::FB::WF::
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:46 AM   #4556
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Nugget Bridge got hacked and also was dying so those two things just kinda shut it down, which is unfortunate. Trainer Tower is p good
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:37 AM   #4557
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
Nugget Bridge got hacked and also was dying so those two things just kinda shut it down, which is unfortunate. Trainer Tower is p good
The 2016 switch away from their editorials by staff writers to Bulbagarden's blog system was lethal. The site really died for me, both in terms of entertainment and in terms of utility, when they made that change. I went from checking in every day or two to checking in once every couple of months.

But the staff's explanations for why they made the change have softened the blow for me. Mostly, the age-old "We grew up ^^;" answer. "We no longer have the time to commit to the site that we did in the glory days. We have jobs, families, and other activities that demand our time. Sorry not sorry, this is life. ^^; " Paraphrased, of course, but essentially this. It makes me sad, but the writing was on the wall when good old Scott Glaza retired.

While Trainer Tower's spot pieces on seven of the biggest names in VGC have been quite enjoyable to read over the past few days, what I'm really hoping for and looking forward to are articles of similar depth and flavor about the ongoing meta. I'd like to see a more detailed article perhaps written about the final round of the Anaheim Regionals (or IC, as the 2017 case is), not just the "here's a list of the winners" we were given. I'd enjoy an op-ed about the VGC 2017 meta, what has surprised people and what hasn't, why certain things are flourishing and why certain other things aren't, etc. I hope to see Trainer Tower (or if not them, then at least some other site) picking up the reins where Nugget Bridge left off and hosting some draft-style tournaments where the players are in a league. (Much like what our own kingofthestone did a few months ago right here on UPN.) I dunno. "We'll see," we'll see, we'll see. That's all I can really say. The death of Nugget Bridge is so recent -- hell, more accurate to say that it's still ongoing -- that it's still too soon to say with certainty who is going to fill the various voids left by their absence. Could just as easily be r/stunfisk or Showdown's VGC community as it could be a site like this.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #4558
Talon87
時の彼方へ

https://www.twitch.tv/onenationofgamers

I missed it yesterday and so far most of today too, but it looks like the two-day tournament being advertised by Geico on Trainer Tower is still ongoing if anyone would like to tune in and watch. The break just ended!

EDIT: Correction -- rather than the Geico tournament, it looks like they're airing an actual official VGC tournament? O-o It's not the 8-man private tourney, it's an actual Regionals/IC or some such. Huh.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:21 AM   #4559
Balmund
'Munds of fun

So, Day 1 of the ONOG Pokemon Invitational just ended, and they were all amazing games. Also, top keks for Wolfey's commentary and Ogloza's Quick Claw Mudsdale. Remaining games are tomorrow starting at 5pm EST, and I'm definitely looking forward to that. The tournament can be restreamed as of right now, so in case anyone missed some of the games, be sure to check them out!

Last edited by Balmund; 02-26-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:17 AM   #4560
Talon87
時の彼方へ

(Part of?) Day 2 of the ONOG tournament has been uploaded to their YouTube channel here. About to go to bed so I'm not able to watch it all right now, but I have skipped ahead to a certain match that begins circa 2h22m ...

From what I can tell of the video, it looks like it only contains half of the Group A portion of the tournament. For example, we don't get to see the match between aDrive and Wolfey. If I'm not mistaken, there should have been six or seven matches in Group A (the winners' bracket) on Day 1, and then a similar number of additional matches in Group B (the losers' bracket). But this video appears to only contain four Group A matches and none of the Group B matches. Still, something's better than nothing in this case, as it's nice to be able to watch any of these matches between some of the biggest names in the scene. Can anyone clarify if this is all that was shown on Twitch of the Day 1 Group A matches, or if instead there's stuff that was shown on Twitch that isn't featured here?

Last edited by Talon87; 02-28-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: edit and strikeout courtesy of Balmund's correction below
Old 02-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #4561
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
(Part of?) Day 1 of the ONOG tournament has been uploaded to their YouTube channel here. About to go to bed so I'm not able to watch it all right now, but I have skipped ahead to a certain match that begins circa 2h22m ...

From what I can tell of the video, it looks like it only contains half of the Group A portion of the tournament. For example, we don't get to see the match between aDrive and Wolfey. If I'm not mistaken, there should have been six or seven matches in Group A (the winners' bracket) on Day 1, and then a similar number of additional matches in Group B (the losers' bracket). But this video appears to only contain four Group A matches and none of the Group B matches. Still, something's better than nothing in this case, as it's nice to be able to watch any of these matches between some of the biggest names in the scene. Can anyone clarify if this is all that was shown on Twitch of the Day 1 Group A matches, or if instead there's stuff that was shown on Twitch that isn't featured here?
After following that link, I can confirm those are all Day 2 matches, starting with a deciding match between Yoshi and Shadeviera (the deciding match between Sejun and Cybertron was skipped and uploaded in a previous video) before moving on to the semifinals and finals proper, which are 3 Bo5 matches. I can't seem to find Day 1 content on their youtube channal however...

Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #4562
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmund View Post
After following that link, I can confirm those are all Day 2 matches, starting with a deciding match between Yoshi and Shadeviera (the deciding match between Sejun and Cybertron was skipped and uploaded in a previous video) before moving on to the semifinals and finals proper, which are 3 Bo5 matches. I can't seem to find Day 1 content on their youtube channal however...
Oh man, I was really confused then! Thanks for the correction. Looking back now, I do see that ... (spoilers)

Spoiler: show
... in the first match, Markus vs. Shoma, it does clearly say at the bottom "Round B Deciding Match", which tells us that it's picking up from where Day 1 left off.

Anyway, confusion aside, you're clearly right that these games are from Day 2. Which then leaves us without any Day 1 games, but oh well.

EDIT: Man, my confusion extended farther than I even recognized ... reading this article, I've only just now discovered that I was mistaken even about the natures of Groups A and B. I had thought that all eight players started off in Group A based on my misinterpretation of the tables I saw when tuning in to Alex vs. Markus a few nights ago, but it now is clear to me that Groups A and B are the two lobes of a bi-lobed Winners Bracket. Man. Did not realize this. Spelling it out for everyone who might have been confused by my earlier misinformation ... (SPOILERS!)

Winners are in bold text.

Day 1 Group A Round 1:
  • Sejun vs. Aaron
  • Wolfe vs. aDrive
Day 1 Group B Round 1:
  • Shoma vs. Alex
  • Markus vs. Enosh
Day 1 Group A Round 2:
  • aDrive vs. Aaron
Day 1 Group B Round 2:
  • Shoma vs. Enosh
Day 1 Losers Bracket:
  • Sejun vs. Wolfe
  • Markus vs. Alex
--------------------------------------
Day 2 Losers Bracket:
  • Sejun vs. Aaron
  • Markus vs. Shoma
Day 2 Group A+B Round 3:
  • aDrive vs. Shoma
  • Enosh vs. Aaron
Day 2 Group A+B Round 4:
  • I don't know yet because I want to watch it but I'm assuming Aaron wins we'll see

The only thing that confuses me about this is ... while it seems to kinda sorta be a double elimination tournament, it appears from what I've witnessed so far that the losers of Day 2 Group A+B Round 3, who each only had one tournament loss, were knocked out of the tournament then and there. Is that the case? If so, it seems really unfair. If not, cool, more confusion on my part. :')

Last edited by Talon87; 02-28-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #4563
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria lame title is lame

This is one STD that won't get me B)

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #4564
Balmund
'Munds of fun

For those who missed Day 1 of the ONOG Invitational, you can watch them in two parts here and here. Also, the QR codes for the teams used in the tournament have been released! So if you'd like to try those teams now on the VGC 2017 ladder, you can easily do so now.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #4565
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Altaria

So many predictions you can call me a fortune teller B)

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Old 04-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #4566
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

in which Quagsire is a goddang champ

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:16 AM   #4567
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
HELL YEAH HAWLUCHA (Randbats, 24 turns)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #4568
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

When you give up trying to style on your opponent and go into the Pokemon which destroys their life which causes them to be hella salty. (Randbats)
Old 05-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #4569
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

I'd Say This Isn't Too Bad For One's First Gen 7 Match...

But that would imply that there were more Alolan 'mon than the Bulu in the front, no?

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #4570
Heather
Naga's Voice

So, Baton Pass gets a suspectless boot from OU entirely. Thoughts and opinions, if a little late, and predictions on when the fuck lion genie will get banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #4571
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
TDK stop being a fucking five year old and run a meta correctly.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 PM   #4572
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

lol he finally achieved his dream

But for real it's weird as fuck having a guy I was somewhat friends with be the head of OU or whatever he is.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:25 AM   #4573
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Lando-T isn't even broken though, it's just really good.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:51 PM   #4574
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Altaria

My opponent did not understand how Dazzling worked lmao

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #4575
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Uhhhhhh ... (Just skip to Turn 9.)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON