UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #26
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I just watched the first episode myself.

I guess this is what it's like to watch Turn A Gundam after seeing all of UC. I saw references all over the place to prior shows, especially Fresh, HeartCatch and a little of Splash Star.

Like BBB, I fear this show could easily fall into brain-killing territory. It wasn't so bad until Candy started wailing about - she's easily the worst mascot since Futari wa's Porun, if not a series low. Even Chiffon, a baby mascot, expressed a higher IQ than Candy, who acts a lot like OP's Chopper (same CV).

I like the personality of Hoshizawa. She's genre savvy and energetic. A nice mix if she can maintain that level of excitement (I doubt it).

Some parts were lame, like the shameless re-iteration of the episode lesson ("stand up for yourself"!).

Where I'd rank Smile:

HeartCatch >> Fresh > Yes 5 > Futari wa > Splash Star > Smile >>> Suite
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #27
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

After rewatching the episode with subs, I realized something I forgot to mention last post. I spent so much time poking fun at Smile that I forgot to complement some of the things I appreciated.

I really liked the first transformation in the episode. While some of it was overly hyperactive attempts at humor, I still thought it was pretty good for a first transformation. This was done better in Heartcatch, but I liked how Miyuki was absolutely clueless as to how to do anything as a Precure. She spent the entire time trying to figure out what to do. I forget how most of the first transformations go, but the Precure usually magically know what to do when they first transform, and their personality changes when they transform. I think they're more likely to actually grow as people if the Precure keep their civilian personality after transforming, or maybe it's just my bias towards Heartcatch, since they kept their usual personality.

It was a nice change when the villain actually threatened to kill the main girl and the mascot, instead of, you know, trying to make them depressed. Atleast the villain's villainy isn't dumbed down. Too bad the villain's goal is just like the ones in Fresh. "Collect the sorrow of the civilians so we can revive our big bad boss!"

Finally, the ending dance animation was gorgeous. Well atleast I thought it was. The song's pretty crappy, but I think it's amazing visually.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #28
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Occasionally PreCure has an episode I'd call a "ball-buster". Really high quality drama. The trend seems to be they happen late in the series, but are otherwise totally unexpected.

In Futari wa, this was the Fujipi's birthday episode.

Now, in Fresh, it's #40, the one with Love's mother.

My gosh!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #29
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Smile episode 2 was a pretty big improvement over the previous episode. The characters' personalities when they're transformed are surprisingly good, and Cure Sunny had a pretty good awakening. Also Miyuki seemed to calm down, so that's a huge plus for my only real complaint in the previous episode.

Oh, also, I didn't mention this, but I'll update the character images as each Precure makes their debut. I just added Cure Sunny to my opening post. I need to improve on the small bits of series information as well.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #30
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wait, the yellow haired girl became a Pretty Cure?

I never saw it coming.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #31
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm all caught up with Fresh. Will watch the new Smile in a bit.

Episode 43 was Awesome Cake. Great fights, atmospheric pressure and comedy. Wester had to go full-on retarded to make it funny, but he's been on a down-hill slide for a while, and has now embraced Team Rocket-level buffoonery.

Dang, next episodes, please come out!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #32
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Cure Peace's debut has been watched. I would normally have no problem waiting for Doremi, but people have been flipping the fuck out about this episode, and there has been a flood of Yayaoi art on Pixiv and Danbooru.

The episode itself was a pretty good introduction to Yayaoi. It takes a nice approach to her skills at drawing, and like Akane, instead of her instantly winning over experts, she loses. Her first transformation wasn't as "HNNNNG" as everyone made it out to be, but it was pretty funny how she tried to imitate a super hero, but ended up running away scared after staring the villain down.

Also, the background characters looked very Heartcatch to me. Like one girl's drawing a character that's clearly Umakoshi's style, and the girl drawing the picture looks very Heartcatch as well. I'm not complaining, it's just something I figured I'd point out.

So far, I have a pretty good impression of Smile Precure. While the fight scenes have been a bit bland, the first few episodes had some really nice touches to them, while for the first episode, I think they simply rushed it. Hopefully this show will keep it up.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 02-19-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #33
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This MissCure March episode amused me. It was mostly dull, retreading the same attitude from the previous episodes, but what was funny was Nao is Cure March.

March and April are known as among the more "fertile" months, since more children are born and conceived during late Winter/Spring than any other time of the year. Nao has a huge family, and her identity is Cure March. Unintentionally hilarious, or deviously suggestive?

The actual fight sucked, less interesting than last week's episode. And Candy was once again a narcissistic moron. The Smile Pacts seem to serve no purpose other than to soothe Candy's vanity. I didn't watch a ton of Suite but from what I remember, Candy is the most obnoxious mascot in a looooong time.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #34
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Watched Smile 5. For the most part, it was a copy-paste of the last few episodes with a different character unfortunately. I don't like how Miyuki goes up to whoever she suddenly finds an interest in and asks them to be a Precure. I think the "searching for the 5 Precure" thing was executed quite a bit better in Yes 5, with Nozomi going around and searching with a pretty good reason, and Coco being onto her to find the rest of the team.

Candy didn't bug me at first, but it seems like it's turned into nothing but a markething scheme. Candy gets a segment at the first of each episode to show off the "sumile pacto!" and what it can do to cuten up Candy (for only $99.99!)

I just hope they step up the fight scenes. The two Precure before it had some good ones, so it would be a massive letdown to see every fight scene like the ones in these past 5 episodes.

I do like how the characters poke fun at the genre (mostly Akane.) While the joke will likely get old if they keep it up, I still find it amusing.

Finally, for the most part, I like the 5 main characters. Miyuki's less ADHD with people to accompany her, Akane's....just like Rin with an Osaka accent, but still pretty cool, Yayaoi can be funny when she goes on about her fantasies, Nao's also pretty cool, and Reika's just lovely.

Some neat VA connection fanart: Kana from Minami-ke cosplaying as Cure March, Cure Peace done by the Ika Musume artist
Old 03-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #35
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I've watched the Suite Precure movie. Unlike the other Precure movies, this one ties in directly to the show, and explains some things that weren't explained in the television show. I would have to say that this was one of the better Precure movies. The characters weren't thrown in some random fairy land, and instead taken somewhere that's in the show. The humor in this movie's probably the best of the Precure movies, where it even started with a character getting arrested for knocking on one of the girl's bedroom window. Actually, this character had some really cool moments in the movie. As far as problems go, the movie feels kinda rushed during some of the fights at the end, but other than that, I enjoyed it.

Also, Doppel, a friendly reminder, Fresh 44 is out.

Finally, I've decided to watch Yes Precure 5 Gogo RAW. This is the only Precure I don't have on my plate, and I might as well watch it where I only understand 30% of it as opposed to not watching it at all.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #36
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Smile 06 watched (several days ago). This one explained what was generally going on, and had a good new character (too bad he left at the end of the episode). It was an enjoyable episode, and the humor was excellent.

I'm 5 episodes into Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! I'm at the general reintroduction of characters, but there's one thing I've noticed, and that's the gratuitous amounts of QUALITY. Like, holy shit there's so many fudge-ups it's unreal. I'll give 5 examples, because I'm nice: 1 2 3 4 5. Other than that, it's not bad. The new character is developing pretty nicely, and there's nothing better than a male tsundere with spunk!

Last edited by big bad birtha; 03-13-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #37
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Fresh episode was pretty bad too. I guess we all know when the Koreans were called in!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #38
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Doppel, you should watch Fresh 45 as soon as possible. It's an amazing episode.

I'm at episode 20 in Yes! Precure 5! GoGo! I'm mostly posting to talk about episode 17. The end to that episode shocked the fuck out of me. In a way, it's like the Fresh episode that featured actual comedians, but this comedian's part in the show was actually good! Like, he was searching for his dragon head prop, and it went over his unnatural relationship with it, and he talked about how it's an important partner to him. He starts hoping the girls would know who he is, but of course a bunch of middle school girls won't know who a strange comedian like him is! Well...Urara vaguely knows about him, but that's because of her job. Then at the end of the episode, when the girls watch his show...holy fuck! It was amazing in so many ways. His stand-up routine is weird as hell, and the girls were shocked when they saw him on stage. I'll give some screen-shots:
They start watching his show
His appearance on stage
Shock!(Coco's expression is especially awesome)
I rewatched so many moments from this episode. At the end of that scene, it has a freaking close-up of the guy like that, and they were surprisingly detailed with his belly and man-titties. The humor of some moments in GoGo are even above Fresh quality. Actually, this show has been pretty great for the most part. Sure, there's a bunch of crooked eye shots, but the show has been very entertaining.

Milky Rose's debut was fantastic! Everyone's getting beat up by two cadres, and they've kidnapped the mascots. They try their hardest, but end up getting beat up, then Milky Rose mercilessly destroys them, and as she hands the mascots to Cure Dream, she looks at her with disgust and says something along the lines of "If they were really so precious to you, you would have been able to protect them." Too bad she hasn't shown that level of arrogance or raw power since her debut.

Time to stop fanboying over this freaking show. God damn I wish I could show this much enthusiasm over other stuff.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #39
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I forgot to talk about Smile 7. It was an entertaining episode. Not much happened, nor did anyone really develop, but it was amusing atleast. Judging from the episode titles next month, it doesn't look like much of anything is really gonna happen in this show, unfortunately.

Finally, I've finished Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! For the most part, I really really enjoyed watching this. Everyone was well developed, and the actual plot of the show was actually pretty decent (atleast from what I could understand). By the time the show ended, I got really attached to everyone, actually, moreso than the first season of Yes 5!. It's just a shame they didn't do much with Kurumi/Milky Rose. She was really cool, and it's a shame she never really got to shine that much. Syrup was really well developed, though. Actually, there were more episodes about him than any of the girls.

The show rarely got repetitive, and there was a nice variety in alot of the fights. Some of them, like one where they all played a gameshow, were amazing. The villains themselves were pretty entertaining as well.

As far as problems go, I didn't have many. I made fun of some of the QUALITY earlier, but what was me simply poking fun at it. I just wish Kurumi and Nuts had some development.

All in all, I'm glad I decided to watch this show RAW instead of waiting for subs that'll never happen. I understood much more of the plot and everything that happened than I thought I would. If I were to rate Yes! Precure 5 GoGo, I'd probably give it an 8.8. I really think this show was near HC quality. I spent a large majority of the time watching it smiling at the god damn screen. If I were to rank the Precure shows, it'd be like this: Heartcatch > GoGo > Splash Star > Fresh > Futari Wa > Yes 5! > Smile > Suite > Max Heart
Old 03-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #40
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Smile 08 is dumber than anything I've ever seen in Fresh.

What am I watching?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #41
Talon87
時の彼方へ

A show meant for little girls but with a huge demographic of men ages 20-40, a.k.a. the My Little Pony of Japan.

If it's bad, quit watching. There are plenty of other fish in the sea. Even if what you're after is little girls' television, there are lots of old school options you've yet to check out. Pretty much anything by Ribbon magazine that got a TV show would be worth investigating if it's little girls' television you're after. Hell, they even did a manga serialization of Splash Star so you know I'm right.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #42
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
A show meant for little girls but with a huge demographic of men ages 20-40, a.k.a. the My Little Pony of Japan.
I don't think MLP started out appealing to young adult/adolescent males, it was solidly for little girls until the internet got a hold of it. Then it morphed into a sort of Conker's Bad Fur Day, where the the main content (vulgarity/little girl) became a front for parody or adult humour.

I've seen people say PreCure is written with males in mind. I disagree. It pokes fun at the genre and archetypes and it's unlikely little girls would be savvy toward meta-humour, but that's not necessarily "male oriented".

Quote:
If it's bad, quit watching. There are plenty of other fish in the sea. Even if what you're after is little girls' television, there are lots of old school options you've yet to check out. Pretty much anything by Ribbon magazine that got a TV show would be worth investigating if it's little girls' television you're after. Hell, they even did a manga serialization of Splash Star so you know I'm right.
Need subs! I see some familiar titles there. I'm horrified Jeanne was a manga at some point.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #43
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Need subs! I see some familiar titles there. I'm horrified Jeanne was a manga at some point.
Don't let Jeanne put you off giving Full Moon a try. The beginning is mostly fluffy generic Shoujo (even in the manga, though the animé has a lot more filler), but the ending is worth it. Still to date the most emotionally impacting experience I've had.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #44
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Rude butt-in aside, yeah, Smile 8 was pretty bad. During Miyuki's big dramatic speech before transforming, I couldn't help but go "haaaaaaah?!" at everything she said, because ALL OF IT WAS A LIE! Candy worked hard? Pffffffff!

Obligatory Cure Candy screenshot
Old 04-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #45
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The new episode started off really great (and some awesome screencap material!) but it went retarded really quickly.

Whyyyyy?!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-02-2012, 04:10 AM   #46
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Really? Other than maybe the lame April Fool's joke everyone played on Yayoi at the end, and the lame fight scene, I thought it was pretty entertaining. I thought most of the things that happened during the episode were pretty standard of April Fool's/fibbing episodes.

For the lame fight scenes lately, I think Smile might end up staying like that. It seems the show has decided to lessen the Precure part of the show and go for more slice-of-life events.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #47
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The title spoiled the entire episode, once I knew where they were going with the plot it became really predictable. It wasn't funny because the moral - lying is bad - was deflated by the issue of Miyuki's hyper-activity and inability to keep matters confidential spiraled the entire matter into a gross misunderstanding. It wasn't even Cure Peace's fault, that idiot!

Funny stuff.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #48
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

An awesome clip I found, and here's another related one.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 05-03-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #49
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Second one was not bad. First one was amazing. Loved it, bbb. Thanks for sharing it with us. There are so many good parts to it, but I think my favorite part is when he's saying how he doesn't want to die, how he wants to live, and then one of the girls says "He's crying!"
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:07 AM   #50
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
First one was amazing.
Yes.

Yes it was.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて