UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #26
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well this is strange: apparently Nintendo is releasing Mighty Bomb Jack on the Wii U Virtual Console this week. O_o GameCenter CX fans will recognize this as the game which Arino tackled alongside Inoko MAX. Everyone else ... will likely have no idea what this game is. If you're feeling up for a challenge and want to walk down the same path the Kachou did many years ago, for just a couple of dollars Mighty Bomb Jack can be yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
Found out there's a group fan-translating this show for non-Japanese viewers and it looks pretty promising. Probably not the first group to do this, just thought this thread could make use of a site like that.
Wow, did I seriously never reply to this post? ^^; Hmm ... must've been because I was inconvenienced at the time or something.

Anyway, SA-GCCX (the "SA" stands for "SomethingAwful" I believe, as in the SomethingAwful web community) is or was the premiere fansub group for GCCX. They're the ones who subbed 80-90% of the videos you'd find on YouTube over the past few years. Leading up to the Great GCCX YouTube Purge of 2013, they finally bit the bullet and opened their own official YouTube channel and uploaded all of the episodes there.

And then something happened. And I don't know all of the details myself, so, disclaimer! I could be wrong about some of the particulars that follow.

First, someone approached Fuji Television and licensed the rights to release GCCX in North America. (This happened soon after Kotaku paid for the rights to six episodes.)

Second, that party approached the SA-GCCX team. (He may even have been a part of it for all I know.)

Third, they agreed that the fansubs were good for business (as they lured newcomers in) but that in the interests both of legalities pertaining to their licensor (Fuji Television) and of profits for themselves, they would not offer full episodes on YouTube of anything that was about to come out (or that had already come out) on DVD in North America. While they would offer teasers for those episodes (such as compilations of the in-between segments in those episodes), they would not provide the full episodes proper.

Fourth, Fuji Television eventually was like "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! " and SA-GCCX was like "Oh shit ", deleted their channel, and directed everyone towards the DVDs.

Do they still sub the show for free for the fans? And do they still make those subbed episodes easily accessible? That I don't know. Last I checked, they had not. The steady stream of freely available GCCX episodes had dwindled into nothingness and they were directing people towards the DVD guy. But given your link and given their retooled site, I dunno: maybe I should look into it and see.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #27
Talon87
時の彼方へ

GCCX and Nintendo collaborate once again! Nintendo asked the Kachou to play Super Mario Maker, the team over at Fuji TV agreed, and then Nintendo uploaded the 37-minute episode on their very own YouTube channel! :o It's a rare delight to get to see GCCX on YouTube these days, let alone with such sharp video and large resolution. Be sure to check it out if you're a fan of either GCCX or Super Mario Maker! It's raw, but no need to be scared off by that: Super Mario Maker is one of those kinds of games where I think you'll be able to appreciate what the Kachou is laughing at or grimacing at every step of the way. I'm only 9 minutes 28 seconds into it, but I've enjoyed it so far and figured I'd share.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Back with more Kachou! YouTube recommended a full GCCX episode, much to my surprise, and it was one I hadn't seen before so I had to check it out.

Episode 175 - Nosferatu

It's basically a stupidly harder version of Prince of Persia. You only get about two minutes to clear each stage. You're three-hit killed on Stage 1 and already two-hit killed by Stage 3. And worst of all, it's a lives-and-continues version of PoP (instead of using pass codes) -- and you only get nine. After you use up all nine lives/continues, it's Game Over and you've gotta start all the way from the beginning.

I'm paused on 22m53s right now. Haven't finished the episode yet, don't know whether he beats it or not.

The game center visit he does this episode is totally worth seeing for the first vendor, the one who sells the tuna balls and seaweed. That entire bit was excellent.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #29
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Alright, just finished the Nosferatu playthrough. First off ...

Spoiler: show
The ending! A, that's unfortunate that Arino beat the game on the 1-in-9 chance you have to see the Bad Ending. B, it's even more unfortunate that they denied him an opportunity to get the Good Ending himself. It was only 10 at night. He beat Nosferatu soundly that final time. (Had two life bars to Nosferatu's 0.5, and only lost what he lost due to panicking.) There was no reason to doubt the Kachou's ability to re-beat Nosferatu by 11pm. What the heck, guys!? Why did you so eagerly lock the Kachou in to a Mission: Failed?

Second, I discovered from watching this playthrough that there is a GCCX movie! One that was shown in theaters! Holy cow, I had no idea. I've gotta check this out!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Fuji Television and Nintendo have teamed up once again to bring us a GameCenter CX special! And this time it's ... a Pokémon special!

BORKED

Arino-kachou has been given this challenge: "Obtain all 151 Pokémon in Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green before the release of the Generation 7 games, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon!" Through a combination of captures, purchases, stones, and trades, he must acquire every Pokémon from Bulbasaur to Mew before November 18!

Nintendo is releasing one new episode each month. The first two episodes are currently out. Assistant Director Matsui is playing the opposite colored version alongside Arino, suggesting that Matsui will be there to help Arino complete his Pokédex in the later stages of the game.

Episode 01 - May 24, 2016
Episode 02 - June 23, 2016

Now for some spoiler thoughts!

Spoiler: show
These episodes have been absolute gems. It's been such a delight to watch Arino Shinya take on one of the most beloved games of my childhood, in what would appear to be one of legitimately few forays he's taken into the world of Pokémon. There's the delight in watching Arino encounter "never-before-seen Pokémon" that we are all so familiar with. Then there's the joy in reliving Masuda Jun'ichi's impeccable soundtrack, one that on the re-listen really puts all the later generations to shame, even if it's masked by a carousel-like 8-bit audio chiptune. Then of course you have the comedy that Arino Shinya brings to the table, from nicknames to commentary. There are frustrations in watching his run, too, but they're the sort that make you nostalgic for when you too were in your very first hours of learning how to play the game. Everything about these episodes so far has been a treat.

The Kachou has made decent progress through Story Mode. In only two recording sessions (admittedly totaling twelve hours ¬¬, but still!) plus a few hours of off-camera playing here or there, Arino has made it all the way to capturing the Snorlax west of Celadon. This means he's completed the Lavender Town subplot, of course. It also means he has has four gym badges of the eight total. Not too bad for a special that's likely going to have four more episodes before all is said and done.

His progress towards Dex completion, however, is something different. ^^; The goal the staff set for him was to capture at least 50 Pokémon by the end of the second recording session, and he missed that mark by eight creatures. Keeping in mind how much easier it is to quickly fill up your Dex in the early game than it is in the later game, the staff is concerned that Arino won't make the goal by November at this rate and keeps assigning him "homework" to be completed off camera.

He's also doing a lot of things which will frustrate the veteran gamer inside of most of us. But that's the Kachou for you. :') Examples off the top of my head:
  • He keeps using Rage even though he's observed that it has low damage output and locks him out of switching or using items until his Pokémon faints or the battle is over.
  • He uses stones willy nilly when the staff introduces him to them, meaning he's wasted several precious one-offs, like Moon Stones, on subpar Pokémon. And we're not just talking IVs, 'cause ...
  • He keeps using TMs the moment he gets them. You could say "THAT'S WHAT GOD INTENDED! " but let's face facts: he doesn't know what he's doing. And what he's doing is wasting precious one-off TMs on crappy Pokémon he then proceeds to box. He wasted Psychic on a Drowzee. He wasted Dig on either his Sandslash or else his Geodude. It's bad, guys. It's real bad. I'm sure he's delighting in the gameplay experience he's having, but he doesn't realize how badly he's squandering TMs that would be better served towards end-game teammates.
  • Classic to the show's written formula, he doesn't soft reset when he fucks up in big yet salvageable ways. The latest instance of this is, he rushed into Pokémon Tower, fought Gary, lost, and lost half his money as a result. He even knew this was going to happen, but played on anyway instead of resetting because *wink* "I don't know when I last saved."
  • He doesn't keep a lot of Pokéballs on him at any given point in time. Usually no more than 10. This means he's perpetually in danger of running out every time he tries to capture stuff. Again, this is probably scripted to create tension in viewers but man if it's not frustrating.
  • His switching game sucks. He keeps switching in his ace in the hole when a big damaging move is inbound instead of just letting his current crapmon take the hit, faint, and then switch in his ace for free. It almost cost him his match with Erika, and it did cost him his match with Gary at Lavender Town.
  • He evolved Eevee into Flareon. >_< This sucks for three reasons:
    1. It's not like he likes Flareon. He just used a stone at random, and was even discussing the other options when he accidentally confirmed the use of the Fire Stone.
    2. As we all know, Flareon sucks in Gen 1.
    3. And Arino's starter is ...? ... Charmander. -_-; So he turned his Eevee into a typing he doesn't need, whereas he currently lacks any Water types in his entire collection and he only has one Electric type in shitty Voltorb. Either Jolteon or Vaporeon would have been so much better for him at this point than Flareon.
    For all three of those reasons, I see Flareon getting boxed in the near future.
But these frustrations are mostly the sort of thing that either you remember yourself doing when you were hours old with the game or else that you remember other, dumber kids doing on UPN back when the games were only a year or two old. It brings back a lot of nostalgia, for a time when the 30-year olds of today were in their teens and still figuring stuff out. Scripted or not, it's sweet/adorable to watch Arino trip through the game like this, figuring stuff out as he goes. Makes me feel like he's joining the community 20 years later. Probably isn't. Doesn't seem to be having a super great time playing. But who knows. We'll see!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #31
Heather
Naga's Voice

>Dig
>Sandslash
>Wasted

Excuse me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
>Dig
>Sandslash
>Wasted

Excuse me?
Forgot he learns garbage nothing in Gens 1 and 2. Thought he learned Earthquake.

Regardless. Psychic on a generic Drowzee.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment