UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Breaking Bad

So I've found another show to start watching, and I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it.

Superb acting, writing, and pretty emotionally involving. At times the show feels a bit slice of life, but it's almost entirely, as far as I can tell, purposeful to connect the viewer with the characters more emotionally to view them more as people they know and less as scripted characters in a TV show.

Anyhow, I'm only on the third episode of the second season and this is a lot more than I bargained for. The show can be pretty hard to watch at times, too. Anyone else watch it?

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

You are way behind lol.

After they put it up on Netflix, I practically watched every episode one after the other. The show is insanely good.

Semi-spoiler but I'll still keep it vague:
Spoiler: show
The early seasons show how incompetent Walt and Jessie are. Despite Walt's absurdly amazingly pure Crystal Meth, he's not a criminal. And despite Jessie being a criminal, he's a bit too nice.

As the seasons continue, Walt gets darker. VERY DARK. And things just go crazy.

Hell, this show transformed Malcolm's dad from this bumbling fool into freaking Scarface. He's won like 4 or 5 Emmy's for his performance on this show. And he's even getting enough recognition to be in movies! And not as a bumbling idiot!
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm on S05E02 right now and holy shit, you were not kidding.

This show is incredibly dark and a bit depressing to watch. I thought it was dark in the first season, but this is... an entirely different beast.

Thoughts below:

My favorite character is probably Mike; I love the dynamic between Walt and Jesse and how Gus attempted to separate them, and how Mike was thrown into the mix, too.

Gus' death was HOLY SHIT. It wasn't incredibly climactic like I had expected it to be, but very sudden and very off guard. I knew he was going to die, but I didn't think Walt would have attached the pipe bomb to Hector's wheelchair; I thought something else was going to happen. Regardless, I jumped out my my chair and screamed.

I'd say the moment Walt earned his 'Super Anti-hero' status was when he let Jane choke on her own vomit, knowing that her death would be hard on Jesse but it would be the wake up call he needed. It was a horrible and twisted decision, but I'm pretty sure that was his reasoning behind not saving her (not to mention she pretty obviously only wanted the money for herself).

This leads me to say... John deLancie's character Donald, her father, is possibly the most tragic character in the show. He was trying so, so hard for his daughter, to help her, find his only daughter dead, causes an airplane mid-air crash, and eventually kills himself.

I feel the ultimate theme of the show is "actions have consequences". In most scenarios, the characters are given choices, and it feels almost as if they're playing the renegade side in Mass Effect, picking the worst choices as they continue to break bad. Jesse is probably the only one who has fluctuated between trying to fix himself an then cracking, taking one step forward and two steps back. But Walt is far gone. And with the 'actions have consequences' theme, if Walt had saved Jane from dying, he might have been delaying the inevitable; but he also might have prevented the death of everyone in the plane crash and also stopped her father from killing himself.

Anyway, that's my take so far.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Loki

I actually really like Jesse's character the most. He's always a good counter to Walt from beginning to now but in a strange way.

Spoiler for others who may have not caught up.

Jesse is such a contradiction at times. He knows he is a criminal. He knows he's a bad guy. Yet he keeps trying to be 'good' in a strange sense. He has his morals and somehow he tries to balance them with his criminal work even when they clash.

His guilt over Combo, Jane, and later Andrea's little brother all shape him in totally human ways. Meanwhile, Walt is his exact opposite. He takes the darker path and feels nothing. Walt even goes so far as to poison Andrea's son to manipulate and guilt Jesse into betray Gus. And this is pretty big because Jesse, a long time criminal can't stand the idea of using children. He even was willing to go against Gus because of this. Risk his life. Yet Walt used it perfectly.

So in the beginning, Jesse is corrupting Walt, but as time goes on, Jesse looks more like a decent, even good person and Walt looks more and more like a monster. This is really one of the best things about the show. The evolution of all the characters.

Stuff from the newest episodes which further emphasizes this:
Now Jesse and Mike want to end the business. Get their money and be done. Yet Walt continues down his dark path. He wants more. He isn't willing to throw away his empire despite the entire reason for starting his criminal activity has pretty much been done with. In fact, his drug business is now destroying everything he wanted to originally protect and he's become so blind to it that he refuses to end it. Seriously Walt! You're like super in the green! End it, get back together with your family!

Also, I do like Mike a shit ton too. Especially when he's with his granddaughter. All of those moments are great.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

Okay, so, I’m officially caught up on Breaking Bad… and I know there are only 8 episodes left in the series, I think I’d be content with it just ending the way it did. Because holy shit.

Walt has gone completely supervillain status by Season 5. Mike's death... man, that just. I don't know. I wish he could have seen reason to why Gus had to die, at least in terms of the fact that he didn't have to have such a mouth about it... but, anyways. RIP.

I think I see where this is going. The season opened with Walt, a year later, sitting at a diner under a completely new identity. The mid-season finale ended with Hank's realization that Walt was, in fact, that man behind the curtain all along.

What we also have to remember is Walt is shown getting into a car with a bag of money and a shotgun. I suspect the final 8 episodes will focus on Walt getting the hell out of dodge, his family completely falling apart, and essentially, well, it'll be "The Fugitive". I think we've seen the last of Walt cooking for the rest of the series; he did say "I'm out", not to mention that huge stack of cash, well. I'd imagine Skyler may be somehow getting him cash.

Either way, I think the finale will be a showdown between Walt and Hank, and it's going to be heartbreaking. People are going to die, and personally, I sure hope Walt is one of them. He's not the same person he was at the beginning, fighting for his family. No, this whole thing blew up his ego so large that just because he took down the biggest kingpin in the Southwest that suddenly he's the most powerful man down there. And you know, someone on reddit pointed it out best; Every character in this show has faced moral conflicts and dilemmas, all except one - Walt Jr. I think he will be a key player in the finale, a classic showdown between good and evil (Hank and Walt), and he'll get caught in the crossfire.

And as for Jesse, while we were left with him on the brink of suicide, I certainly hope he comes out of it and his character does have a good ending. For all of the shit hands life has dealt him, even if a lot of them were his own fault--- he's the one character who I hope gets out of this okay. He was never good by any means, as you mentioned, a confusing and emotional rollercoaster swapping morals constantly. But I think he deserves a happy ending.

Oh, and... the end of the episode, Dead Freight, well, that absolutely killed me. And that kid. But here's a good alternate ending.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 09-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Loki

Well... about the last episode...

Everything was kind of building up to Hank finding out Walter was a drug dealer. We all kind of knew he was starting to wonder when his boss talked about inviting Gus to family events and even his house. Everything Walt did was basically a delaying action for Hank finding out, but being last season, I think we all saw it coming.

Hanks denial was really what kept him from thinking of Walt the whole time. He was family, but all the clues were there. Money for his cancer. Money for all those cars. Money to buy the car wash. Mysterious disappearance and running into Tuco. Jesse Pinkman. Knowing his wife's name and decoying him that time at the junk yard. His and Skylar's separation. Hell! Even so far back as when he found the mask in the desert belonging to Walt's school. Now that Hank has found out, EVERYTHING FITS TOGETHER.

Yeah, the next few episodes will be wild.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I started watching. I'm on Season 2 Episode 11. I didn't like Walt until the end of S2E10. Now he's the best.

"Stay out of my territory."
Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Loki

Honestly, Walt starts off as a total bumbling fool. He's doing his criminal activities because he sees no other option to get out of his situation. Slowly over time, he keeps committing to it and drops slowly more into the dark. Jesse on the other hand...

I really do love this show.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
I LOVE THIS SHOW

I will make a more detailed post at a later time, but to give you all a brief idea....

I first started watching this show last summer, a friend got me into it. We watched the first two episodes of season one.

A month later, untill around Christmas, I watched all the way to the end of season 4.

So the first half of season 5 during the last days of 2012.

EPIC show.

It took a while to grow on me. It was "entertaining", and then "fun to watch". Somewhere around Season 4 it became one of my all-time favorites.
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Interesting that it took you that long. I guess it doesn't take much to impress me.

>Loki

Yeah I'm seeing how they're changing already. I'm limiting myself to at most 1 episode a day, so I can't wait until tomorrow!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
AK2
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Interesting that it took you that long. I guess it doesn't take much to impress me.

>Loki

Yeah I'm seeing how they're changing already. I'm limiting myself to at most 1 episode a day, so I can't wait until tomorrow!
How far are you at this point?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2 View Post
How far are you at this point?
I watched Season 2 Episode 10 today, which suddenly made me like the show 100x more. Before, I thought it was a pretty good show, but this seems to be the turning point for me.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
Loki

I actually watched all of season 4 in one day because they put it on Netflix the same day season 5 was airing and I HAD TO SEE IT ALL BEFORE THE NEW EPISODE.

There's actually a lot of great turning points for the show. I don't want to spoil anything and I also don't know which episode Season 2 Ep 10 is EXACTLY, but there's a lot of great character development throughout the series. There's a few lulls now and then, but the who always knows how to do something explosive to make up for it.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
AK2
Boulder Badge

zactly what happened to me (dont know if it was that exact epsisode, but)
Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
AK2
Boulder Badge

BTW, you can find all the gag/reels bonus stuff-webisodes on youtube (only the first two seasons had the webisodes, and wikipedia can list them all out for you if you think you missed one)
Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

Mid to end of S2 was what sealed the deal for me on how much I love the show. Breaking Bad is one show that really just gets better and better as it progresses. I've been following some of the light-spoiler happenings from the actors as the wrap up shooting, some pretty interesting things are said and shared on their twitters...

I wish S5-II would hurry up and get here

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Wrapped up Season 2.

Poor Discord John de Lancie
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Fuck Skyler.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
phoopes
Double Dragon

Haven't looked at the rest of the thread because I haven't started watching yet. My girlfriend and I are going to try to get caught up on the show because we both want to watch it really badly. I might post thoughts along the way. Only ever heard great things about this show, so hopefully I'll be impressed by it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
Loki

GET OFF UPNETWORK AND START WATCHING ALREADY!!!!

*is shot by Kuno*
Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #21
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Finished Season 3. This is the best show ever.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
Loki

Not yet. You didn't finish season 4.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #23
deoxys
Fog Badge

This makes me want to do a UPN series finale stream some how when it happens.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
phoopes
Double Dragon

Oh yeah update: I watched the pilot episode. It was pretty good, definitely wants to make me watch more. However, it wasn't the HOLY SHIT BEST SHOW EVAR show that I was getting absolutely hyped for. Still going to watch, going to see if it gets me hooked but the first episode didn't do that for me.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #25
Loki

The first episode is definitely good and it's easily the best hook for a new series I've seen in a mature show in a long time, but it's not the BESTEST SHOW EVER (yet). It's a lot of what follows that makes the show so amazing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment