UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 08-29-2015, 02:16 AM   #951
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Iron Man was probably the first of the "Good" Comic Book movies. For so long we had crappy comic book films like Fantastic Four, Sam Reimi's Spider-Man series, and even the X-Men series. And the ambitious idea of creating a cinematic universe started with Iron Man and honestly got everyone hooked.

But yes. Prior to RDJ being Iron Man, Tony Stark was kind of a jerk in the comics. Following the Iron Man movies, they made Tony Stark more like RDJ, a snarky, wise-cracking playboy billionaire.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #952
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Iron Man 2: I enjoyed it like a 5 out of 10 -- plain average -- but would objectively score it a 6 out of 10. It was okay, I guess. I am exactly in between wanting my two hours back and not. Two films in, I think I can safely say that while Tony Stark may be amusing, I find his world to be utterly boring.

Spoiler: show
Two films in a row and his adversaries have been "other iron suits." It was an inevitable angle to explore, so I forgave them for exploring it right out of the fucking gate in the first film. But then they had to go and do it again in the second film.

I like the look of the Mark IV's chest (first film's polished version) a hell of a lot more than the Mark VI's (second film's). Glowy ring with six dots was cute 'n' cool. Plain triangle is plain, boring, dull.

Don Cheadle felt like a fish out of water, but I didn't particularly love Terrence Howard either so whatever, I guess.

Tony x Pepper is my favorite Marvel ship right now. Too cute, too good.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #953
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The Amazing Spider-Man: It was fine. Silly, not the greatest superhero movie by a long shot, but entertaining enough that I enjoyed my time watching it. ... That stated ^^; , I have a laundry list of complaints thoughts on the film. ... Hey, they're only mostly complaints!

Thoughts on Amazing Spider-Man

1. I don't like how Uncle Ben dies in this film. Because of the circumstances (Peter storming out of the house, Aunt May watching as Ben Parker goes to fetch Peter, etc.), it sets Aunt May up to resent Peter / to blame Peter for Ben's death. Blegh. With the comics' story or Raimi film No.1's, Aunt May doesn't know Peter was involved. Peter's only responsibility, his only crime, is in letting the robber go. This sets Spider-Man up better imo, sets him up better to be a hero who prioritizes doing the right thing.

2. I don't like how Peter's behavior becomes spider-like too. (Wanting to eat flies, being on edge, etc.)

3. I don't like the subway car scene, where Peter's body acts like Bruce Lee with a mind of its own. Yes, he can have Neo from the Matrix bullettime reflexes. That's fine. No, he can't automagically do Jeet Kune Do on people. C'mon.

4. I do like the better attention to his superhuman strength.

5. I do like Kurt Connors / the Lizard being present. He's a great first villain for this universe because a) he ties in so well to Peter's powers' origin and b) he ends up being a friend/ally so long as he's not in Lizard mode. (Well, the movie ends with Connors behind bars and outed as the Lizard, so who knows. :\)

6. I dislike the overemphasis on Peter's parents. The whole frickin' point of Spider-Man is that Uncle Ben was like a dad to him, Aunt May a mom. You ruin that by turning them into foster parents of a boy who constantly thinks of his dad.

7. I dislike that they frame the famous "With great power comes great responsibility" quote as being one of Peter's dad's guiding principles rather than being Uncle Ben's own sage advice.

8. I dislike that they can't even get the line right! >_< Man did they butcher it.

9. I love that his web pellets are back. One of the few big canon flubs the Raimi film made. Great to see this film setting the record straight that Peter's famous webslinging, much like Wolverine's adamantium claws, is artificial and not part of his native power set.

10. I loved the full costume debut. And the part where Aunt May calls. Just icing on the cake.

11. LOVE Garfield's Spider-Man's personality. Fuckin' NAILIN' it!

12. Not a fan of the Lizard's face. What's with the no snout!?

13. THE LIZARD-RAT! XD ^^;;;

14. Peter and Connors figure out who the other is just from Peter's first visit to the lab after the bridge incident? Really!?

15. The chemicals in the chemistry classroom that Connors JUST GLANCES AT AND KNOWS HOW THEY'LL REACT! XD I remember this complaint from when the movie first came out.

16. The tail ripping off. -_-;

17. Everyone seems to know who he is. Gwen Stacy knows. Kurt Connors knows. Captain Stacy knows (for all it's worth). And it seems like even Aunt May has pieced it together. This is kind of ridiculous. ^^;

18. If Dr. Connors was "evil" even when he was in human mode and arguably not under the influence of his reptilian alter ego, as evidenced by his angry speeches made as a human about how the human race sucks and we'd all be better off as lizard-people, then why should we expect him to have turned 180° around after being hit by the antidote? Makes no sense. Would make more sense if it was Lizard Connors who wanted to reptilify the human race but Human Connors wanted no such thing. But that's not the case. That's not what happened. Human Connors did want to reptilify the human race. Sooooo ...

19. Uncle Ben's voicemail, revealed in full only near the end of the movie, makes NO SENSE from a tired man who was angry at his nephew for neglecting to pick up his wife from work at an unsafe hour of the night.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:27 AM   #954
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah this is similar to my thoughts on Amazing Spiderman. It is objectively a pretty crappy film, but I loved it.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #955
Mercutio
Banned

Macbeth, currently in UK cinemas, starring among others Michael Fassbender.

It is excellent. Very beautifully and simply done, fantastic cinematography, imposing soundtrack. Great acting. Plus woad, everyone loves woad.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 PM   #956
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I watched The Martian.

This is a critically important event for me, as it's the first movie I paid for and watched by myself. Every other film I've ever seen in a theatre was with my family or paid for by them. I watched this film for myself.

There was a lot of appeal to this film in particular. The scientific accuracy and optimism for the near future speaks very directly to me. I hate "fake" escapist films now, and have for several years, which is why my live-action television viewing collapsed to just documentaries, baseball and comedy. Comedy doesn't purport to represent reality. Documentaries do, and baseball is reality. There's a clear trend away from fantasy stories or even futuristic science fiction. I've gotten tired of dreaming about the future and badly want to live it right now. The Martian was a decent compromise.

Another appeal was how the author, Andy Weir, got the story started as a web novel with reader feedback, and eventually made money off it. Those of you who know I've developed work for a visual novel can thus imagine I'm interested in using this guy as a mentor, to access the level of detail and creativity that would go into an amateur story that works.

As for how much I liked the film...it kept my attention the whole way, and I cannot stress how rare that is given how fickle I am. The lack of romance was also a big appeal as almost everything these days is packed with sex appeal. Though, if you love numbers, I'm sure this title was plenty orgasmic to begin with.

The movie itself I'd give a solid "B". It was two hours long, but only the first hour felt like the "real" movie. The second hour was Apollo 13 and I'm not exaggerating. I was still wide-eyed with attention but there was nothing special or uniquely interesting about that second hour.

In that sense, I felt like the first hour went too smoothly until it was conveniently time to transition into the second hour. Watney succeeds at everything with no hitches (including self-surgery, which I could actually relate to as I've practiced drawing my own blood) until the narrative demands that the most inconvenient plot device must be eradicated, so it's removed via Act of God. But boy, was that first hour fun otherwise.

Given this, it felt like the first hour was a different film that I never got to see the ending of. I would have preferred it if Watney did end up dying and the film instead focused on his motivations for being an astronaut and explored Mars a bit, like Planetes. Not that such is a great ending - I think there is an expectation that Watney would survive which anime wouldn't have established - but it would have been a superior ending to what I got, which was nothing. Because I basically turned off the film after that first hour to watch Apollo 13.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #957
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Macbeth, currently in UK cinemas, starring among others Michael Fassbender.

It is excellent. Very beautifully and simply done, fantastic cinematography, imposing soundtrack. Great acting. Plus woad, everyone loves woad.
I heard from a friend that Lady Macbeth's part is significantly reduced; can you confirm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #958
Mercutio
Banned

I would argue that it is not significant because you still get all of the required characterisation, drama and badassery of the character. However, a few slivers are cut. See also: the younger son of Duncan, a few of the iconic witch passages.

More importantly, however, the porter pissing scene is gone, so, you know.

Don't go expecting a golden shower.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #959
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Fair point, sounds like I'll need to see it for myself to really see.

I have done Macbeth twice this year I do not fucking need to see the fucking porter scene again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #960
Loki

Turbo Kid!

Great movies for any 80s or 90s kids. Gore levels that reach ridiculous. Fun levels that reach infinite.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #961
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
More importantly, however, the porter pissing scene is gone, so, you know.

Don't go expecting a golden shower.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #962
Beautiful Savage
Oh, hello

Inside Out

Yeah, I only just saw it last night, but I really really loved it. Like, really really loved it. Once again, Pixar has proven to me that it can do no wrong. The entire movie was so creative and cute, and it somehow managed to remain lighthearted despite the presence of some pretty heavy themes.
Beautiful Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #963
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Haven't seen it. Just had a question:

House (1977) is a Japanese horror film about a haunted house. I just learned about it from this Imgur post. The sample picture is kinda hard to ignore! But reading the non-spoiler content on Wikipedia, like "Reception" and whatnot, it sounds like the film isn't that great in most people's opinions. :\ But going by the Imgur post's comments section, House is great! So: has anyone here seen it? If you have, would you say it's worth the watch? Or was it stupid / a waste of your time?
Old 11-14-2015, 11:15 PM   #964
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Or was it stupid / a waste of your time?
Yes, it absolutely is stupid. No, it was not a waste of my time. ;p

Marion is our resident champion of watching Hausu, but in her semi-absence, I feel obligated to throw in a recommendation. It's been a while since I saw it, and I don't remember the details terribly well, but it was pretty darn funny. If you like so-bad-it's-good films, then go for it. If you're looking for an actual horror experience... yeah, not so much.

すれ違うだけの距離が歯痒い 手を伸ばせば届きそうなのに
意味があるのなら教えて欲しい 締め付ける胸の痛みの
「イツダッテ ウソミタイ アイシタテ ノ ユメミライ」

f i z z y b u b b l e s | w i l d f u t u r e

Quote:
morningstar - Today at 12:46 PM
her whole being is Arashi

AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:16 AM   #965
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshsBabyLapras View Post
Yes, it absolutely is stupid. No, it was not a waste of my time. ;p

Marion is our resident champion of watching Hausu, but in her semi-absence, I feel obligated to throw in a recommendation. It's been a while since I saw it, and I don't remember the details terribly well, but it was pretty darn funny. If you like so-bad-it's-good films, then go for it. If you're looking for an actual horror experience... yeah, not so much.
Hmm, conflicted. 'Cause I was looking for an actual horror experience, something akin to the Japanese version of The Grudge. Then I watched the trailer (which I must also add seems mighty spoilerific , but alas ) and I was let down by just how ... campy the movie seems at times. A lot of the deaths (that the trailer seems to give away -.-) seem like they have the potential to be really fucking terrifying done with a modern Hollywood budget and with modern Hollywood horror film sensibilities, but instead of being terrifying they just come across as "lolwut" meets acid trip. =\ ^^;

I dunno. We'll see. Now that I've seen the trailer, and now that you've also kindly offered some further insight into the film's nature, I think I'll pass on it for now. If I could find it on a site like YouTube I might watch it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to download it and I also don't feel like spending any money on it right now.

Maybe if Marion owns the movie on DVD we can watch it on a Livestream of hers or something and comment on it as we watch, utterly wrecking any chance the movie would have of being scary.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:57 AM   #966
Prince
Cascade Badge

The Human Centipede

Okay so, I have to say I didn't watch this willingly. I saw the South Park episode of it a while ago and I figured that was enough of that. Buuut my friend promised his fiancée that he could choose the next movie for our movie night, and ofc he decides to pick this pile of wtfness. As someone who loves horror way too much, this movie was just rubbish. Reminded me of that one indie film "Tusk", which was equally stupid, but at least it had Johnny Depp.

W/L/D
6/5/0

*Rest in Peace, Your Royal Badness.*

Congratulations! Your Bad Digital Art has evolved into Bad Animation Attempt!
Will update eventually maybe possibly who even looks at these?
Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #967
Loki

Krampus. I know- It seems like a dumb horror film of a silly legend, but it's actually really good. Unlike the jump scares and gore films we get nowadays labeled as horror films, this one doesn't really do that. The film actually uses atmosphere and a serious tone to convey the sense of horror and doesn't have much in terms of camp or any gore. It also takes advantage of the fact that "less is more" is actually a real thing in a horror film. The less the audience sees, the more their imagination will take over, and the scarier the film becomes.

Giving it a solid 5/7 (Yes, I made that reference). It's really good. Go watch it before Star Wars kicks it out of theaters.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #968
Link
Banned

300 rise of an empire is the most badass movie I have seen in awhile. It stars me!
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #969
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Having just been to see Star Wars: My god the trailers in front of it were almost perfect. I want to see almost all of them.

Deadpool
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
In the Heart of the Sea
Star Trek Beyond
Warcraft: The Beginning
Captain America: Civil War
Independence Day 2

I mean BvS looks pretty overblown and I'm not a Warcraft fan (though I might see the movie???) but jesus that's a damn good trailer set.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #970
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That is an amazing trailer set for people in our demographic. I feel bad for our parents. ^^; Three comic book movies, a sequel no one asked for to an old Will Smith sci-fi comedy, a Young Trek movie, and a movie based off of a video game. The only film your average 60-something is going to get to enjoy from this list is In the Heart of the Sea.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #971
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Yeah I was sat with my parents (because I have no friends) and I wasn't sure they'd get it. Though my dad laughed at the Deadpool trailer.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #972
Mercutio
Banned

Independence Day 2 could only be a better idea if the aliens were the ones from Scientology and Will Smith were a double agent.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #973
Link
Banned

Hey, Mercutio, I love it how you can direct to this thread, yet my original rise of an empire 300 comment got deleted. Why is that?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #974
Mercutio
Banned

Because don't create new threads for movies you saw when we have this thread for movies you saw. Post in this thread.

Exceptions for giant stuff like Star Wars or Star Trek.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #975
Link
Banned

LOL, rise of an empires was a colossal movie.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment